Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

GD - good week so far,  but be careful now. Enjoy the celebrations this weekend; should get you ready for the taper!
    GM - sorry to hear the massage hasn't cleared up your issue. Hope a bit more rest does the trick quickly.
    OO - good news.
    Poacher - 3 in 3?! Must have missed that. You crazy boy.
    Leslie - don't underrate consistency!
    Approx 7 mile tempo run this morning. Watch gave me 5:13 for the first mile, so obviously went a bit haywire. next 6 in 43 dead. Planning to do about 4 at lunchtime and combine it with a delivery.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gerard - here's hoping it does indeed "settle down".  Everything crossed for you. . . .
  • Options

Poacher 3 in3 is a challenge and a half but I feel a man like you could do it but it will be rough ...

GUL lightening quick for the early am !

A Poacher matching 4 easy today (9:20 average) but even 3 x 3mile in 3 days seems a tad much for now ! Onward and downward ...

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Apologies for going under the radar.  Life suddenly got rather busy for me.  I have had a quick skim back and apologise for not mentioning you all.  Special reference must be made to Poacher for visiting Hull by running 26.2 miles around it.  Great time for no training.  I am very perturbed to read about your foot, Gerard.  Have you had official confirmation it is plantar fasciitis?  Staying off it is the best immediate course of action to avoid aggravating it.  Good to hear you know to roll out the calf and loosen the surrounding muscles.  Are you also icing it?  One trick is to put a few small bottles of water in the freezer and roll it regularly anytime you are sat down.  Do you know what triggered it?  Do you think you came back a bit too quickly after some downtime over the holidays?  Stay positive!  I think you can salvage the training for Abo.  Do you have access to a pool?  You can stay pretty fit by pool running. I know I bang on about it but it is very effective and a great way of maintaining fitness without any impact.   
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I'm OK.  Thanks for asking, Gerard and Leslie. Building slowly but trying not to be impatient and rush things.  Topping out at 30 mpw so a long way to go, but I have a plan to build volume to develop resilience.  Doing lots of conditioning work in the meantime.  I am also training the puppy to run canicross style as he is now 13 months and I am taking an instructor's course so I can take on clients.  I've also been teaching some school mums to learn to run for the past two weeks (they've never run before) and it is such a pleasure to show them how much running gives back to you.  Let's hope they can keep at it!
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Gerard, pool running.  Here is a link to some workouts:  http://kemibe.com/distancecoach/labreports/water.shtml

You can also adapt your scheduled land workouts using the following advice:
    * try to use a belt so you don't struggle to maintain form
    * you can do workouts on consecutive days as there is no impact to recover from (meaning you can work that heart hard every day)
    * you can adapt land workouts, e.g. if you had 12-15 x 1:00 min scheduled, you would take only 30 seconds recovery.The idea behind half recovery in the pool is to keep your heart rate up (this drops quickly in water); if you have 800s scheduled, you could try 4:00 mins hard/ 2:00 mins recovery; for 200s, go for 40 secs hard/20 secs recovery, and so on.
    * for aerobic runs, increase time by 15 mins (because it is less effort in water) and break up the time by doing quick turnover pickups every so often to keep HR up.  e.g. you I might do 5 minute cycles of 3 minutes medium effort/ 2 easy or throw in some 1-2 minute pickups at random (like fartleks) to bring HR up. 
    * the long run is the biggest challenge as you can find it really boring.  Two things I have tried are listening to podcasts and music or taking company with me to chat during the 2 hours or so.

You can do this!
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    And of course you can focus on conditioning work.  Getting that core and upper body really strong so you can hold form in the final stages of the marathon.  If it doesn't aggravate your foot, some squats and lunges would be a great way to maintain tone in the legs.  Weights add effort but be careful with that foot.

You can definitely do this!
  • Options
    MsE - Big wave!!!!! Was a tad worried about your absence. Glad you're busy and ok! :) 

Injury update - I've done the foam rolling, taken drugs, iced it, drank lots of Rioja and mused about how things have got to where they are. Anyway it was very sore and tender to walk on today but i brought the mini foam roller to work and had it under my desk all day. I'm a bit conscious/apprehensive of giving it too much attention. I'd rather let it settle down. Two runner friends of mine who are Chiro's recommended acupuncture, apparently one of their mutual friends had a flare up 2 weeks out from London and their physio said don't do it and they got acupuncture and it was resolved within 24 hours. I'm hoping that is the case here. I'm not freaking out just yet as I have a bit of time on my side. I'll keep you guys posted and in the meantime, keep going guys! 
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Gerard - the evidence is quite convincing for giving it a go.  http://aim.bmj.com/content/30/4/298
  • Options
    MsE -Thank you! 
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say, blimey, to Lorenzo.  You are like that Dean Karnazes guy who just keeps on running. Or Forrest Gump.  How are your legs feeling post-run?
  • Options
    Leslie - not sure how you are managing to keep such a good sense of humour!
    MsE - good to hear from you. Focused as ever.
    GM - really hope it works out for you.
    5 easy miles yesterday lunchtime and 6 recovery miles this morning. This week is looking totally different to my usual schedule!
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for you, GM.

Nice to hear from MsE

6 for me yesterday evening, and a soggy 6 miles into work this morning.  But complaining about the weather is selfish when there are people on the bench!
  • Options
    I'm a v50 today.  :/

Just back from 5 miles in the mud. 7.21 pace. Legs tired due to 58 miles in the last 7 days. Job done and now officially in taper.

Best get a long weekend of food, beer and champers off to a start!! B)

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    happy birthday, GD - but as you're officially in taper, best take it easy with the food and drinks ;)  

welcome back, MsE . . . nice multi-posting :)
  • Options
    Happy birthday G-Dawg! 
  • Options
    Happy birthday GD :)

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, GDawg!
  • Options
    Jools - good soggy miles. It's been tipping it down here on and off for a couple of days.
    GD - congratulations - enjoy the weekend of celebrations!
    Finally entered the Norfolk Coastal marathon; 4 weeks tomorrow.
  • Options
    Gul - Get in! Nearly taper time. :smiley:
  • Options
    MSE you are keeping busy alright .
    GUL as long as I can do a long run or 2 the aim is just to get round now ,glad you got signed up for a mara and enjoy some variety in the week.
    Jools nice wet 6, can't beat a bit of drizzle .
    Gdawg you old git happy birthday ! given current form you should be well up the v50 rankings.
    3 mile walk 'ere and a few press ups  to keep me sane .

• Options
    Leslie - hold on to your sanity.
    18 miles @ 7:35 m/m (1 w/u and 17 @ 7:30). GPS battery died again, but fortunately was doing 1.05 mile laps of the park. Felt fairly easy so very encouraging session. Brings up 247 for the month.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good totals, Gul - one long run left?  

Leslie - how many is "a few" ?   

12 miles with my buddy this morn - most enjoyable run for a while. Crisp and bright, good company, trail, road, bit of muddy track - and the act of putting one foot in front of the other didn't feel like a chore !  A miserable 93 for the month, though  . . . . 

• Options
    MsE 30mpw seems pretty promising given where you are coming from. Good work.

GD welcome to the world of the OG

Gul - a race at last. What sort of time are you aiming for

Birch  that sounds good - enjoyment more important than overall mileage.

Parkrun, 20.38, 74.47%, more than a minute off where I should be.  First time over 100m in a month since April. Maybe there's a lesson in this.
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

GM – Sorry about your injury. Keep positive and banish it away.

MsE – Great to read your informative posts as always.

Jools – Embrace the wet weather, your skins waterproof after all. :smile:

GD – belated Happy Birthday and a new age group to boot! 5 miles in the mud at 7:21 pace is good going.

Leslie – Sorry to read about your motivation and injury problems. Try some of MsE good advice.

Gul – Super nippy 18 miles with a good monthly total

Birch – That sounds like a happy 12 miler banked

Poacher – Solid Parkrunning, but I think you already know why you are a minute down.

I ran 13 miles today including my local 10k race. I was targeting a course PB of 37:35 and I’m well chuffed to have managed 36:48 on my Garmin. That’s only 4 seconds outside a PB I set in 2013 on a flat course, while this course had a few undulations. This could be my highest ever WAVA percentage.  I’m a little annoyed with myself for not paying closer attention to my pace, as I believe I could have found an extra 5 seconds over the last few miles. I hadn’t realised I was so close to my PB.

However, with a week to go to the Chester Marathon it shows I’m in the form of my life. Now I’ve nothing more than a few marathon paced miles and strides over the next week.  Although, I’ll be consuming zero caffeine and eating low carbs, so those MP miles will feel like a time trail mid-week. :)

I’ve recorded 378 miles for the months despite the last two weeks being part of a taper.  :smiley:

Edit - I've just seen the final results and my chip time was 36:44 so I've matched my PB! Teehee 

• Options
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Excellent, BB - can't wait to see how Chester goes . . . .
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Gul that's a very decent long run will we put you down for a 3:15 ? no carpet bagging now !
    Birch great you have got a nice run in , I've forgotten what one is like !
     I made the mistake of trying pressups 2 days in a row(usually every other day works best ) and got around 40 then second set of 17 each day (90 secs rest) The 50 was a peak which was my first goal but I've ambitions of 100 per set like I could do in my 20's and as Badbark points out with the link we shouldn't be having any slowdown in our 40's no slacking here !!!
    Poacher not a bad time for the training and so close to 75 wava !
    Badbark Looking in great shape now,cracking 10k 36 mins is a fantastic time don't blow it now with any silliness this week ,would be a tragedy given your potential now . great mileage in any month never mind a taper ...I will be back as they say !

4 miles (9:00m/mile av) after getting up from night shift ,walking dead first 2 miles .

126m for the month ( 1913 for the year ) which trumps last months 48m .
  • Options
    Excellent running all round team! Jersey marathon tomorrow. Was supposed to be part of a relay team but that's obviously in the bin now but with lots of friends participating in one shape or form. Might show face and cheer on the brave souls. 
  • Options
    Been off for a while and too many to read back. Have some pain in the lower shin on my left leg (right at the bottom where it meets the ankle) for almost 2 weeks. No clue what it is: my ankle swelled up quite badly after pacing a 1:45 half so I took 5 days off and the pain lessened. 21 minutes for parkrun today so I am clearly running but not right.