Why do I struggle at half marathons?

All of my 10 half marathons have been within 3 minutes of each other.  1.35-1.38.  I have a 40 minute 10k and 19.25 5k but I cannot hold a decent pace for a full half marathon.  

Ive done weeks of 45-50 miles, long runs of 16 plus miles and lots of tempo running, but I always lose time in the last 3-4 miles of a half marathon.  Any ideas of how I can adjust my training to improve my time?.  Thanks

Comments

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Trying to hard?

With those 10k times you've got the speed so it should be possible, and you've got the distance LSRs so no real reason why you shouldn't get a sub 90.

Perhaps try to run a sub70 first 10 in your next half and then see how it pans out; I think its fairly important to be running within your self so that by the time you get to 10+ you can actually relax and try to cruise in. 

If your'e getting to 10 in under 65 then that maybe the reason why you lose it in the last few miles. It can make a big difference at the end if you just overcook it at the start.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    how are you pacing them? 

What pace are you doing all these training miles?

Is it consistently consistent training all year round or do you train for 12 weeks and stop for 12 weeks?

That 10k time and training mileage should have you sub 90. If course if you are going out 6.45 pace then dropping dramatically in last 3 you are getting that wrong. 
  • MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    The pacing hasn't been too bad apart from the first half where I went off too quick.  I try to run even pace as much as I can so I don't lose time at the end but I always seem to.  

The long runs I do are 10k pace + 2 minutes, the tempo runs are around my 10 mile pace (6.50-7 minute mile), I do easy runs at around 9 minute miles and every so often some park runs and intervals at quicker than 5k pace.  
  • MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    I tend to run all year round although I do drop some mileage and some intensity if I have no races planned.  It does take a lot of training to get in shape for me to run 40 minutes for a 10k and the 5k time.  I've run 68 minutes on a flat 10 mile course a couple of years ago, so maybe I need to find a flattish half marathon course as most of the halfs I've done have had a few hills in them. 
  • How long of a long/tempo runs completed at that specified pace?
  • MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    About 6-8 miles after a 2 mile warm up. 
  • Oh to be so slow! ;)
    I run, therefore I am.
  • NaderNader ✭✭✭

I have very similar times to you, this year I've clocked a 19.25 5k, 39.29 10k, and 1.28.11 HM. I found for me the two key runs each week while training for that HM were:

1) 4 miles at 6:40 pace, with 1 mile warm up and 1 cool down (this was also very useful for 10k training)

2) 7-10 miles at around 7:00-7:10 pace.

The first of those increased my speed, the second increased stamina and speed endurance. As well as those, I did an interval session each week (varied depending on the club session), a long run (usually around 9 minute mile pace, certainly no quicker than 8:30) up to 15 miles, and plenty of short recovery runs. Peak mileage was around 45 miles.

On the day of the HM itself (a nice flat one!) I felt like I was taking it quite easy for the first 9 miles, was on for a comfortable 1.29, then pushed it more in the last few miles and ended up with 1.28.11. Actually I felt strong at the end like I could have run it a bit faster, but that may have just been a sign of good pacing!

From your previous post, sounds like your tempo runs are in the same region as my longer tempo runs, though I would consider pushing them up to 10 miles, and just slowing them down slightly - it will feel like a very hard session but will really help in those last few miles of the race. I tended to do this run the day before my long run, so it made sure I never did that too fast!

• NaderNader ✭✭✭

Oh, and forgot to add, 2 weeks before the HM, I went away for a long weekend and did no running at all for 5 days, spent most of it by a pool, and the only exercise I did was a bit of gentle walking and swimming. It left me feeling refreshed after a 4-5 months of hard training, and let me push hard for one final week of high intensity training before easing off the last couple of days before the race. I think that worked much better for me than a traditional taper by easing off for a full week before, as I was fresh but not sluggish. I think for 10k and HM races, too long a taper will result in not being a sharp and ready for a fast run.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Mr Soft, when you say the race pacing has been ok, can you provide splits from a typical half?
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    I get the impression you've been running for a while and if you keep doing the same thing you're just going to stagnate.

I think you could try doing your long runs faster. I like to start my long runs about 10k pace + 2min and build to about 10k pace + 1:10 after about 5 miles or so. If I'm not feeling good or struggling with the pace I'll just do the long run at the slower pace. 

Other changes you could try to prevent stagnation might be to include hill sessions, sprints (6-10x 100m), long trail runs with hills, fartlek, different interval sessions. 

• Agree with HA77 and that was what I did - you need to run quicker in training. Try to do the middle segment of your run quicker and that will help. From my half at the weekend, all splits were between 7.50-8.20 min/mile but the middle 6 were quickest.
  • MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    The problem I'm finding is now I'm a Vet40, my body takes longer to recover I'm picking up more muscle injuries if I push the training too much. It's trying to find the balance of doing enough to improve but staying injury free. 

Im pretty good at doing workouts if I can see the purpose of it, but as I have never had any proper coaching, im still learning from my mistakes.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Mr Soft- You have to find the right balance. Changing your routine so you run long runs faster, may require a reduction elsewhere ie overall mileage. Also you could up your training load by adding in cross training ( if you don't already do so).

I for example am 41 and run generally 40 miles a week as an average, over 4 runs. I also do spin classes twice a week and a strength class.

Ultimately it is being consistently consistent that will get the gains in long distance running. Smashing out a 6 week training block then spending 3 weeks injured 5 times a year you do you less good than being more measured in your training but training all year round.

I also spend a fair amount of time looking after myself with stretches, massages and sleep.