P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• Take care in the wind out there today folks, we don't want some of you lightweights getting blown away.  Unfortunately, at 83kg, no chance of that with me.

20 miles at MP - well done HA.

A sensible recovery after what sounds like a tough session yesterday SQ, again well done.

Speaking of weights, we are doing the year 6 to 7 school selection thing atm. I've been struck by the sports facilities at most of the schools and more than a little jealous. Last nights school had a gym with free weights and machines that you might easily pay £30/month for membership.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Cracking double day HA. 

Anyone in for Wokingham half for next year? I've just put my entry in.

A bit disappointed that I'm not doing Abingdon this year but think I've done enough marathons at slightly below par effort for this year.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Awesome running yesterday HA!

Just entered both Wokingham and Bath Halfs next year. Depending on what happens in Abingdon I will do Manchester Marathon and VLM (2 weeks apart), one of them of no marathons at all!

7 miles easy first thing this morning and, as Maaca eluded to, I was being thrown all over the place by the very strong wind!

• Cracking session HA - really impressive mate. I think that shows you're in pretty awesome shape and it's just a case of getting to the start line fresh and seeing what you can do. If you can run well in Abingdon and keep the consistency through to London I think there you'll have plenty of people to run with and you could go proper fast like.

I'm considering Wokingham, always a great race, although my focus over the winter is very much going to be cycling rather than running. 

10 miles with 2 x 3 mile tempo this morning. Was going to run at MP but ended up running considerably harder - averaging around 6.04mm. Was a really tough one, legs feel like they're going to fall off now. After that showing though, I've decided to bin the planned 10km on Saturday. You know when you're fit and when you're not, and I don't want to go flat out and run a minute or so slower than my PB. Being half a stone heavier than I was when I ran London certainly won't be helping things.

I'll just have a lower key, parkrun blast on sat and then pacing 1.45 at Royal Parks half on Sunday. 

• I'll be doing Wokingham and got my Abo pack last night. I liked the fact that it had a real stamp on it.

Ran to work today as part of what will be my first double, pretty much ever.

• Amazing double session HA, look forward to seeing what all this great training yields at Abo.

Breezy here too. Had a very pleasing easy run with strides though - ticking along very comfortably, the heart rate back to where it should be, and legs feeling great during the strides. Helped settle a few silly nagging doubts over my cold and my HR being a touch higher in recent days. Cold still hasn’t quite shifted, but it's nearly gone. Just got to survive babysitting my 11 month old nephew tomorrow without catching something else off him now! Starting to get quite excited for Sunday :D

• Reg - let me de- academic waffle that article for you: Usually when there are pedestrians in the way we go around them. I wish my PhD was in running like the author, I think I would have finished by now if it was. I hope your double goes well today. 

Great session(s) HA, your gel holder still makes me laugh. I now own a pair of tights with pockets - they're a dream. 

Thanks for the suggestions for the HM - I'm going to go progressive. I'll replay your warnings in my head when I start to feel too good and speed up. I don't think it'll be a competitive field so I won't feel too bad about being slow. 

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Joe - That's exactly my plan regarding London. I always find the first few kg drop off really quickly. I'm sure you'll be fine. Good to get a solid session under the belt.

I reckon I could sell my gel holders to gullible fools if they looked a bit swankier.

I'm thinking about Wokingham. It doesn't really add much to my London plan, being 9 weeks out but I'll probably do it anyway as it's only about a 10 min drive for me. I'll do another half 5 weeks out from London too, probably Reading, Fleet or Coventry again.

Just 6 miles very easy with the work group today.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    JCG: you just nailed the article in one sentence :)

I'll probably do Reading half next year - it's well timed before London or Southampton for me and its a big field which pulls you along much better than a small quiet race I find
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see Abo is sponsored by a local brewery-a good sign perhaps. Hopefully they will be at the finish giving out free samples! :)
  • Hi don't know if this is appropriate on here but I am signed up for the Leicester half marathon on 15th of this month and due to unforeseen circumstances an unable to attend now. I really didn't want my place to go unused as I wasn't sure if people are unable to book places anymore so if anyone was interested in running the Leicester half marathon or knows anyone who wanted to get a place on it can let me know so i can pass on my place to someone else. Thank you. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Fingers crossed Tom, we should definitely have a thread meet up in the pub afterwards.

Did my first double today 8.5 miles each way. I put in 5 miles @ MP on the return journey. Well 3 miles @ MP and 2 nearer LT to be honest as it came out at 6:08 pace. Pretty pleased with that, just need to lose 10kg in 2 weeks and I reckon I can go sub 2:40  :D
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    HA77 - well done on a huge day and nailing both runs. You're absolutely in 2:30 shape so now it's all down to execution on the day, hope it all comes together. 

Joe - great read, felt like I was there all the way with you. Did well not to lose your rag in the swim, then strong bike and still a great mara time. With all your improvement potential next year will no doubt get you to Kona. 

JCG - impressive running leading up to Abo, I feel that you're going to run a fast one. 

The last session of 3x1600m is done. Went down to a local track bang in the middle of some huge apartment blocks. Got there at 6 when it was supposed to open and was already full of locals doing laps as part of theor morning exercise. Fortunately they mainly stayed out of lane 1 but there must have been at least 100 and growing! Plenty of backwards walkers again and a variety of characters, some well into their 70s and shirtless :o. Despite a few holes around the way, some traffic meaning I had to veer into lane 2&3 and overcooking the first rep, got them done in 5:48/5:53/5:54. First time on a track and enjoyed knowing exactly how far I had to go, I can see how with a group you can improve quickly.

Easy all the way to next Sunday. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    John - Nice last interval session. That track sounds interesting. Your training seems to have been pretty consistent. How are you feeling about your target?

Tom - That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the race number.

Nice debut double Reg. Decent effort on the way home too, well done. How many biscuits today?

With my immune system wiped out from Wednesday and my youngest getting all snotty yesterday, I've woken up with a sore throat this morning so will probably not run today. Not feeling too bad but a rest day will probably be good for me anyway.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Nice double Reg. Good pace on the return leg.

Very decent final interval session John. Easy does it now!

Not surprised you were a bit wiped out after that monster double Wednesday HA. Take it easy-some rest won't do you any harm. Better to have a bug now than in a couple of weeks!

Out the door at 4:30 this morning. Coldest it's been so far, big full moon and brilliant stars in the sky, very still-perfect! Wanted to run at slightly quicker than MP without too much effort so happy with 12 miles @ 6:06 m/m avg. felt controlled and aerobically strong although the legs a bit on the heavy side. A very enjoyable run!
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    HA77 - pretty happy with how the training has gone, aerobic endurance feels better than last year with the extra mileage so if the weather is good then I'd be fairly confident of sub 3. Hearing how light you are has made me realise I need to watch what I eat for the next week. Recently have been having too many cokes and here in Shanghai they only have the standard ones which helpfully inform you there is 35g of sugar in a can  :o. Rice and vegetables next week I think (which has been surprisingly lacking despite being here!)
  • John - Great final interval session, looking good for the marathon!
    HA - Rest up and recover well.
    Tom - Brilliant early running.
  • Glad to hear you're feeling fresh Spoons - good luck for Sunday.

Reg - moving really well there, you've obviously come out of ironman pretty strong and I think you'll have a decent day @ Abo.

Thanks John. Track sounds like an interesting experience. Don't pay attention to how light HA is, having met him a fair few times in person, he's naturally pretty lean, unlike some of us! Life isn't fair sometimes.. 

HA - rest day sounds like a sensible move, no need to push it too hard now.

Tom - ridiculous as ever. 

Legs were absolutely trashed post session yesterday, a bit of a wake up call really. Swam easy this morning and will go for an easy run at lunch. In lieu of not doing a 10k tomorrow, I'm going to have another crack at parkrun, albeit a hilly one this time. 
  • Nice intervals John, sounds promising re the sub 3 this time. I guess shirtless Chinamen is a change from Aussies walking around the supermarket with no shoes on.

Sounds sensible HA, that was some session on Wednesday. Funnily enough I just came back from the shop with Ryvita, couscous, chicken, wholewheat roll and one doughnut! No biscuits. I have a nakd fruit bar for later. Normally I would have eaten an extra doughnut and some jaffa cakes by now so I am also winning.

Nice MP run Tom, it's not the sort of run that indicates we'll be running together though. I've been thinking about the pacing of this marathon. The previous three I've done, I've paced really well, finishing strongly but not so strongly I could up the pace. The afterthought has always been than I could have given more. So this time I plan to go out hard and not finish wondering.

Hamstrings are sore from yesterday which isn't welcome news but not surprising either. I need to strengthen them and sort out the cause of the overload.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Reg-I'm the opposite in that I have got my pacing all wrong in previous 2 marathons so will not be going out hard. My caution and your ambition  could well see us running close to each other for the first part of the race at least.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Joe - What sort of bizarre parallel universe are we living in where people want the body of the skinny guy with a bmi of 18. I'll tell you now the chicks really dig it.

Reg - I miss being able to go to the shops in bare feet. I used to get some hamstring issues but I've done some strengthening that seems to have helped. I've also done plenty of sprint sessions which I think really strengthens the hamstrings.

I'm also feeling I don't want to leave anything in the tank and am willing to risk a blowup. Like you say though Tom I guess it really depends on how you've paced past races.
  • HA Salomon actually do a soft flask holder not a million miles away from your invention: https://www.salomon.com/us/product/sense-hydro-set.html. You should have patented it! Hope you feel better soon. 

Surprised that’s your first double Reg

Nice work on the final session JohnOz. That track sounds... interesting!

Cracking run Tom

Good luck at parkrun Joe.

Five chilly recovery miles for me this morning. Feeling good for Sunday. Off to Oxford tomorrow. Forecast looks decent at the moment, if a tiny bit warmer than ideal. Fingers crossed!

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Doing parkrun in the morning as my final tune up race. Gonna give it a good blast and see where I end up. 

Good luck to everyone one else running this weekend
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Good luck NE, Spoons, AWC, Jooligan and anyone else racing this weekend.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Did parkrun as my tune up race this morning - 7s PB finished 6th in 20:00. Unbelievably missed sub 20 again!!! I’ve gone out too fast before with a 3:50 first km and then slowed badly so this time I said I’ll hold back and even split so my splits were 3:59/3:59/3:59/4:05/3:52 which is perfect pacing but I hadn’t factored in an extra few seconds past the 5km mark which took me to exactly 20:00

Maybe I’ll go out in 3:58 splits next time!

Was pretty windy here as well which didn’t help so maybe on a calm day I’ll pull it off. 
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Well done AWC-a pb is a pb and shows that you are in great shape. Must be frustrating about the sub 20-just 1 second!!-but it will come.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Lovely cool still morning. 20 miles progressive with last 5 @ MP (6:12, 6:10, 6:10, 6:08, 6:04) and 6:25s for thw whole 20. Legs felt far from fresh after 72 miles this week. Time to reduce the mileage. Sunday lunch now-a roast followed by a chocolate caramel stout for pudding! Looking forward to hearing some fantastic race results coming in!!:)
  • Well done on the parkrun AWC - frustrating about the 20 barrier, but as Tom says, it'll come! 

Looking forward to hearing race reports from Spoons and NE after spying the strava results. 

Fun jaunt out for me this morning at Cheshire Half. I was only able to keep to a slower pace until 7M when I got a little bored, so I dropped then to marathonish pace from 7 till 12 before sprinting the last mile and a bit home. I did enjoy overtaking everyone for the second half.

I'm good to go for Abo now. I'm going start with a 3:40 pace, then if the stars align and I feel good I'm going to give 3:34 (and Boston QF) a crack.  
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Nicely done JCG. Such a buzz gaining places in the latter stages. 
    Nice PB AWC, sub20 is imminent.
    Cheers Tom cracking LR - I don't recall mentioning I was racing ;) 
    Did my home parkrun for the first time in 3 months (& only the 8th time this year) As usual I got up in plenty of time then faffed before leaving home so only had time for a brief warm-up. I went out swiftly and was pleased to feel bouncy from the off. Settled in to 5th place & could see 3rd & 4th both coming back to me, could also hear heavy breathing just behind too so kept working,  then at the 3K post myself & 4th were overtaken by the flying Irishman. He went level with 3rd who then pushed harder & the gap began to grow again after that. I moved back in to 5th about 500m later only to be overhauled by the same guy in the final 400m. Finished 6th in 19:50 which was a 2017 course PB & my 6th best age grading in 168 runs there. I was then able to tuck in to the chocolate brownies in honour of a youngster's 50th before heading for Storey Arms & a 2M fell race. 1M up in 15:46 then 1M down in 6:23. My worst time in 3 years but my clubmate, who won, was also over a minute slower than usual so guess conditions were worse. We then jogged up Pen-y-Fan & hurtled back down to make the drive worthwhile made over 11M for the day.
    Only 10K for me today as I was once again ambushed by alcohol last night!
  • AWC - Nice one on the PB, sub 20 is yours next time.
    Jooligan - Nice weekends racing again!
    JCG - Nicely paced HM!

13 miles Saturday and then down to Portsmouth for the Southsea Pieces of Eight (8 miler). Used this as a VO2 max training run (9 miles with 3*1,600m). Hit my 3 intervals in 6:01/5:57/6:00 so happy with that, although slightly slower than the same sesssion before Manchester, but the recover bits were faster this time....not sure what to read into that! Finished the 8 miles in 57:32 and finished 33/456, so not bad for a training run, but did feel strange running easy then sprinting for 6 minutes before slowing again :D

Easy week now before Sunday, feeling a bit more confident after Sunday as been having doubts!!