Jelly legs

I'm 44 and been running for 4 months. Managing 5k in 26.30, 10k in an hour, 8 mile runs 10 min/mile. Not the fastest but plodding along quite happily and slowly improving. Running 3x a week. Did a 10 mile run/race recently as I was hoping to build up miles towards half marathon in 6 weeks.

It was TERRIBLE!!!

I started off slower than normal as I thought I should conserve energy. By the 5 mile point I had no energy at all and felt like crying as I didn't think I could get to the finish. By 8 miles my legs had totally turned to jelly and were shaking. I had to stop my slow jog and walk/jog the last 2 miles to the end. But why did this happen? Course wasn't really difficult or hilly. It was like I'd hit 'the wall' but it was at 8 miles and I've done that before no problems. I haven't felt very well all week/ a bit viral...could it be that??
I managed to get to the end by 1hour 45. I was very unimpressed.
:# :#
I've cancelled the half marathon as obviously I need more long distance training.
Do I need more fuel during runs? I don't usually bother, but I'm quite skinny and need to eat every couple of hours anyway before I get the shakes... even sitting down at work!
I'm a bit nervous about doing another long run in case I get epic leg fail again and end up stranded somewhere!!
What went on there??!!
Tagged:

Comments

• If you did 13 miles in 1.45 then you must have been running the first bit pretty damn fast! I think most people (certainly me) would be extremely please with a 1.45 first HM.

I've been training for 16 weeks just to achieve a sub 2 hour HM, and that's with no walking...
  • It was a 10 mile race, not 13!
  • 1:45 is still a pretty acceptable time for a first 10 mile race after just 4 months of running.  If you'd not been feeling well before the event that could definitely have affected your performance.  It may just be that you need to adjust your training a bit and slow down a bit to broaden your fitness base before increasing your distances again.

Nutritionally, if you need to eat every couple of hours to avoid getting the shakes, it makes me wonder if you may be anaemic or something.  Might be worth getting checked out by your GP.
  • Sooooo. I survived and completed my first ever half marathon a week ago.  I had only ever ran 10k before.
     But......
    my legs are still like concrete.

Ran 3 times in last 7days and still sluggish is being polite.

<span>Nornally run 5km parkrun in 24mins and went flat out for a pb and took 4 minutes longer yesterday .  

I'm worried.  I should have recovered after a week from this long run.  
    When do I get my running legs back!?</span>
  • When you've recovered from running twice as far as you ever have before! Stick to short, really easy running until your legs feel better.
  • Did a 5k parkrun today, and after 2 weeks I thankfully getting back to within a minute of before half marathon.  
    Panic over