P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• AWC - congrats on the PB! Agonisingly close, you'll have it in better conditions next time though, clearly in brilliant shape.

Great long run Tom - I've got every confidence that this time it's all going to fall into place.

Nice on Coop. Sounds like everythings going really well! Rest up now and get to that start line as fresh as possible.

Good racing as always Jools - really want to get into some fell running at some point.

Things not going too well for me. Felt really under the weather this weekend but my inability to rest has probably made it worse. Hilly Brockwell parkrun in 18.11 on Saturday which I wasn't really happy with. Pacing 1.45 at Royal Parks was more fun on Sunday, but wiped me out for the rest of the day. Feeling slightly more perky this morning.

Looking forward to hearing more reports, especially from Spoons..
  • Congrats on the PB AWC.

Great LRs Tom & JCG.

Quiet weekend as ever Jooligan! ;)

Nice confidence booster there Steve.

Take it easy Joe, a bit of rest and I’m sure you’ll be firing on all cylinders again.

I had a good day at Oxford. Finished in 1:20:30. I will write a full report but basically looking back at the splits I went out a bit too fast in the first three miles while trying to stay with a group, and paid for it a little towards the end. My slowest mile was only 15 seconds off goal pace though, so not terrible. I knew sub-80 would require a perfect race so I’m still very happy with the time. 3 minutes faster than my PB, and a total of 6 minutes off my HM time this year! 

Just got to keep the fitness ticking over for the next two weeks now, so I can hopefully have a good run at the Great South Run. I’ve not raced a 10 miler for a few years, so looking forward to it. I’m planning to just let the legs recover over the next few days, then maybe do a track session on Saturday (something like 6x800m but not all out) just to keep some pep in the legs. 

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Spoon - Great PB and good on you for going out a bit faster and giving 1:20 a crack. I find backing up from a HM not too bad so hopefully you'll be alright for the Great South Run. Look forward to the full report.

Joe - I'm not surprised you're not fully recovered yet. You'll probably suddenly turn the corner at some point. Hard to make too many conclusions from a hilly course though.

AWC - Great PB. Sub 20 next time

Still marginally snotty today but feeling much better. Took Friday and Saturday off and just a short easy one yesterday, so just 50 miles for the week. Last tempo run planned at lunch today.
  • Nice first ever run double, Reg. Would you run commute regularly based on that?

Hopefully the 3 x 1600 is the icing on the training cake, John, and great splits. Hope you’re recovering well post journey home.

Hope you’re not feeling any worse, HA. Definitely a good call to take some recovery post mega sessions last week.

I saw the full moon on Friday morning Tom, albeit at a tardy 5am. Absolutely amazing, wasn’t it. Great run from you there. Absolutely cracking progressive 20M.

20:00 is a great effort, AWC. So close!

Great progressive HM, JCG. On the odd occasion I have taken such an approach it is so satisfying and positive to overtake during the second half. Look forward to running with you at Abo.

Standard/classic Saturday, Jooligan. Nice work with the fell racing.

Excellent result, Spoons. To knock 3 minutes off is really special and leaves an opportunity for spring races. Which will you do? Hope you recover well.

I’ve just entered Wokingham half (thanks for the heads up, Tom). I was toying with Bath, which is a bit closer and looks pretty, but the date and cost of Wokingham sold it for me. It will be my first really big marathon on a fast course with a fast field. Chester last year is the closest I have got to that, and it was my PB (1:20:5x – which would put me outside the top 120 at Wokingham, so hopefully lots of runners to work with). Might also look at Reading.

Final long run for me yesterday, 18M as 10 easy, then 6 alternating MP and HMP efforts, before 2M warm down. The paces were all over the pace, but that was fine, I was pretty tired and there were hills, wind etc. Just shy of 70M for the week, which is certainly my biggest ever so close to a marathon. Hoping a cut back this week and a heavy taper next week will do the trick.

• Nice PR AWC, probably just a Parkrun volunteer's arthritic finger away from sub 20. Good turn out for yoiu too Jooligan, do you have to do a lot of tralvelling to get to all these fell races?

Spoon - well done on another PB, another good chunk too. I reckon you're in great shape to go sub 2:50 in the spring.

Joe - I love the way you just seem to get involved in everything on offer but I guess it's going to lead to periods where you're not at the top of your game.

Nice long run SQ, I will have to get my name down for Wokingham as it's my closest HM. I have already entered Reading as I deferred this year's entry, not sure if I will race them both though. 

Wokingham is still pretty low key, the standard is good but there's not a lot of support as it just heads out of town through a small village and back again. Reading is great for support though but not quite as fast in my opinion.

I plan to do the commute double once a week from now on. I did it home and then back the next morning during 2016 VMLM training but I like the idea of doing a double and extending the run home to get 20 in for the day. Having said that I had a hamstring strain from last Thursday so I gave the XC a miss and did an easy 15 miles instead. I say easy but the last 2 miles were quite hard work.
  • Reg: I live an hour or so from the Brecon Beacons which is where I do nearly all my fell racing. I'll be back running my 10M each way commute once the clocks go back as it's warmer & safer than cycling.
    Spoons: Well done on a massive PB & an honest assessment of your HM. I judged the same from Strava. Glad you're pleased with it. You were good for 10 so should have a chance at sub-60. 
    SteveMac: nicely paced race/session. I take it that's an annual event. Might have to do it next year as there aren't many 8M about. What's the profile like?
    JB: Tenby will have taken a lot more out of you than you realise. Pacing 1:45 was probably fine but the 1:30 job last week might have been a bit much. I know you had a holiday but it didn't look that restful. Patience & rest now: you'll be back sooner.
    I've also entered Wokingham - never done it before but figured I might as well have a crack at a flat HM for once & I've heard good reports about it.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Afternoon all.

Not sure why I was expecting you be racing at the weekend Jooligan. Excellent stuff as ever!

Very nice progressive HM JCG-must have felt lovely passing all those people in the second half. Looking forward to seeing you go really well at Abo!

Speaking of Progression, looks like a very decent final long run in the build up SQ. Certainly time to reduce the mileage now and just keep things ticking over. Can't speak highly enough of Wokingham as I ran my best ever race (so far-hopefully!) there in February. As Reg says, it is still pretty low key with hardly any crowd support yet flat/fast with a quality field and it is usually pretty cold-perfect!

Spoons-Very well done for taking another massive chunk off your PB-3 minutes!! Awesome stuff. I can see sub 80 at Bath (I assume you are not racing another half before then?) followed by sub 2:50 at VLM as certainties in the Spring the way you are progressing. Do you have a target in mind for GSR? Sub 60??

How's that hamstring today Reg? How much are you planning on doing between now and next Sunday?

Sounds like you could do with a short break Joe. You will soon be right back to form no doubt.

A 6 mile jog for me this morning. Trying very hard to avoid the rapidly increasing number of people around me who have various bugs at present. Glad you are feeling better HA. Let the taper madness begin!!

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the whole thread will be at Wokingham! Probably be your third race of that particular weekend Jooligan.
  • Look forward to the report Spoons. The progress you've made over the last year or so is absolutely staggering. It's scary  to think what you could achieve in the next few years - keep pushing the boundaries!

HA - looks like a good tempo today?

SQ - good to hear you're in for Wokingham. Think I might have to sign up just for the thread day out. There's certainly tonnes of good runners to keep you honest there. Great last long run - rest up now.

Reg - I just find it so frustrating when I can't peak every other week, but I understand that would be silly to try and do. Got to be patient and build it up again.

Obviously Amsterdam marathon this weekend doesn't quite sound like the rest and relaxation I need. Very much decided to run it as a training run (although I'd still like to nip under 3 hours), which will hopefully give me motivation/stimulus to push on to Valencia. Being very sensible and having an entire day off today - even sacked off the plan easy swim in favour of rest - very unlike me!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Joe-my experiences of Amsterdam have always been very relaxing ;) many years ago mind you.....
  • Well done to all the guys with very decent results and PB's.  
    I've been under the weather for a while so ticking over as I find even some training is better than none and I can get back into proper training quickly.
    Feeling ok for the last few days so hoping to ramp it up again now. 
    I will take look at Wokingham, sounds good to me.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Phil - Glad you're on the mend and keeping things ticking over.

Joe - Tempo was a bit of a struggle actually. I think I still have last weeks sessions in my legs. Was thinking of canning it and jogging back but reminded myself that I wanted to experiment a bit with training and it's only important that I'm fresh at the end of the taper. Having a nice, fun run in Amsterdam might be just the thing to get you back in business. I think as a long run 5 weeks out from Valencia it'll work well as long as you take it relatively easy.

Tom - Sounds like you're training has gone pretty well, apart from Cardiff. I think you've put yourself it a good position for a solid PB.

SQ - Great final long run. Looking good also. 

Reg - Getting in on the double session days? I think what you plan is great as a long run replacement service if, like me, you struggle to find a 3 hours block to do a proper long run. You'll be filling those buckets in no time. 

Jools - It's great that you can get to those fell races. I really should make an effort to get along to a few but they're all such a long way away. Could try to sneak one in on a family trip to Wales.

I'm going to have to enter Wokingham now. Like Reg says it's low key but popular with club runners, so a good field. Last year Tom was 26th in 73:07 and I was 60th in 77:38. I've measured 80-90m of climb.

Just an easy 6-7 miles with strides planned today.
  • Jooligan - Yes, it's an annual event. It's along the seafront, so pretty flat, about 450 runners in the 8m with the same number in the 10k, but everyone sets off at the same time, so can be a bit congested early on, but after the first 1km there was enough space to run my own pace. 8m follows same route as the 10k, but they have an earlier turnaround point on the course, but it's well signposted as to which route to follow.

5m recovery today with dress rehersal tomorrow. Entered Bath half too for next year!
  • MaccatheknaccaMaccatheknacca ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Well done on the PR PB AWC. I bet that once you break 20mins you'll take a big chunk out next time round.

Fantastic half Spoons. Like HA said, really good to see someone go for a challenging target (usual suspects take note ;) ).  The Strava route looked a little but twisty to me, I'm confident you'll find those 30secs.

Nice work on the half, JCG, sounds like you are well placed for Abo.

Well done on the fell race & PR Jools, loved the Pen-y-Fan "cooldown".

Interesting 8-miler Steve, I bet people thought your pacing was rubbish not knowing you were running a session.

Decent long runs in there (and mooning) SQ and Tom.

I think I've joined the under the weather/snotty club.  All the best to fellow members HA, Phil and JB.  Not great timing with a works xc tomorrow at Parliament Hill but hopefullly out of the way for the last 100miler in 11 days time.

Thinking of entering Woky too.   I feel a bit under raced this year, so far 1 each of PR, 10k, HM, 2xmara and 4 ultras.  Jools probably does all that in a weekend.
  • Thanks all.

SQ I’m running Worthing in Feb and Bath in March. Feeling a bit left out I’m not doing Wokingham ;) I will probably target one, and do the other at MP, although I won’t taper as much as I did for Oxford - London will be the main focus. Will see how the winter goes. Great final long run, this consistent higher mileage should see you flying at Abingdon.

Tom yeah sub-2:50 looks like it’ll be the goal at London all being well. Sub-60 is the goal for GSR yeah, assuming the weather is ok. I might aim to start of a touch slower than sub-60 pace though, and try to speed up towards the end. 

Cheers Joe. Yeah I don’t want to get too ahead of myself, but given that I’m still making quite big jumps it makes me hopeful there is still plenty more to come. Will just have to keep plugging away and see what happens. If you do manage to keep a lid on it at Amsterdam and not end up racing it, I think that will be more impressive than any of your performances this year… ;)

Macca yeah the final few miles were quite twisty. Not terrible, but as I was already having to work hard it made it that bit tougher to keep the pace up. Get well soon!

My legs are slowly coming back to me, not feeling too bad today. Was slightly worried yesterday as the outside of my ankle felt a little sore/stiff after my recovery run, and even worse after the drive home. However it felt much better this morning so fingers crossed nothing to worry about. 

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Well done Spoons that was a great run and it was well worth keeping up with the others at the start so you could be part of a group. With PBs coming down at all distances I wouldn't be surprised to see another one at GSR. 

Strong running also from SQ, JCG, Tom and HA77. 

Taper seems to be working this week as I haven't woken up feeling like I have dead legs. 2 miles at MP tomorrow then easy on Thurs and Fri and that will be it. Weather looking reasonable for Sunday, around 10C, bit cloudy and little wind... the pressure's on!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Oxford Half 8th October

• RunSpoonRun - P&L 100 mi HM plan - Target Time 79:59 - Actual = 1:20:30

Munich 8th Oct  

• OuchOuch 2.49-2.52 Actual =2:48:58

Chester 8th Oct 

• Northender Mash up of 12/55    3:30 Actual = 

Birmingham 15th October

• SteveMac - P&D/DIY - Sub 3:05 (although any PB will be good!)

Amsterdam 15th October

Joe Bloggs-BR - DIY - Target Time 2:39

Melbourne 15th October

• JohnOz - P&D 12/70 plan - Target time 2:59

Abingdon 22nd October

• Reg Wand - DIY Plan  Target time 2:43
    • HA77 - DIY Plan Target Time 2:30
    • Tom-P&D/DIY 12/70 plan-Target time TBA
    • AWC – P&D 12/55 – Target Time 3:20
    • Sorequads - DIY BAC sessions - Dream target 2:52
    • Coops - P&D gently gently version - Target time TBA 

Autumn 100 21st October

• Maccatheknacca

Eryri/Snowdonia 28th October

• Jooligan - DIY (P&D guided) Target Time sub 3:30 (aspirational sub 3:15)

Frankfurt 29th October

• PJFrizzle - P&D up to 70mpw - TT 2:59:59 (A) 3:05 (B)

Valencia 19th November

• Joe Bloggs-BR - DIY - Target Time 2:39

• I am playing catch up but congratulations due for Tom's stitch afflicted sub 76 half; HA doing two 10 mile runs in a day that each would have had him top 5 in most 10 mile races; RSR getting so close to sub 80; Jooligan running up and down some hills again; JCG cruising a half; SQ looking in very good shape with those mad BAC sessions.

Incidentally, RSR, for GSR you will probably need to get out a bit faster than target pace but will need to up the effort at the end as the long drawn out finish is exposed along the sea front and the prevailing wind tends to be in your face. Just to give you an idea on how bad it could be, I did Southsea parkrun in squally weather (out and back along the sea front) 5.20 min/mile out, 7.20 min/mile back ! Also I measured it slightly long via GPS last year - I was pacing for sub 60 and averaging under 6 min/miles but finished in 60.23.
  • Spoons - Re GSR pacing, when I did it, about 17 years ago  :o there was a strong headwind for the last mile or two along the seafront, if the course and wind are the same, I'd want a bit of time in the bank at the end to break 60 mins.

Bumped the list as I couldn't remember which mara John was doing. Macca if "1 each of PR, 10k, HM, 2xmara and 4 ultras" is under raced, what is a lot of races! 4 ultras!

Wokey looks like an epic thread race.

Not sure what to do over the next week and a half. I'm not too fussed about tapering as I haven't really got anything to taper from.

HA - I read a pretty convincing article of the benefits of split long runs some time ago. This was about not doing 20+ runs but instead doing a couple of medium long runs so the second was on tired legs. I'll have to google it as I can't remember much of it. I'm sure there were some good analogies though.
  • x-post Muddy which confirms my distant memory.

12ish with 6 @MP run at lunch, looking for 6:15s and came out pretty much bang on, breathing felt good but my hamstrings are clearly not up for it. The left is tight now, maybe compensating. 
  • Great time spoons.   And great 5.01Km time AWC.
  • I got 3:37 in Chester.  Please write my race report for me.... here's  a clue    :wink:

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    NE: Went out for 3:30 blew up about 20M, hung in there & completed it but the last 10K were slow & painful.
    You kind of knew it probably wasn't really on the cards after your slightly hungover HM so fair play for giving it a shot. I know I've been there & I'm sure others here have too.
    Macca: I really don't think 4x 100M ultras qualifies as under-racing. You've raced almost 500M by my reckoning. I've done many more but all a lot shorter. I'll do a tally soon & get back to you but I'll be surprised if I've raced many more miles than you so far this year as I've skipped quite a few regulars.
    Tough start to the week for me: 3 runs totalling 20M with over 2,000ft of climb finishing with my first attempt at the Mona Fartlek that HA introduced us to. Too hard for me to do it justice after my 2 mountainous 10Ks but a great session which I shall be repeating. Everyone at the club seemed to "enjoy" it too.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Blimey NE it wasn’t even a gradual decline - that looks like a total detonation at 20mi !!

John/Joe/Steve - good luck for the weekend. Hopefully the weather is kind to you and there are no last minute illnesses. 

Spoons - just to echo the other comments on the prevailing south westerlies in southsea will likely mean some kind of wind into your face in the last 2 miles. I raced it 3 years ago and it was pretty breezy but I somehow managed to hang on and overtook loads in those final 2 miles. But the crowds are amazing - there’s something like 25k runners alone and thousands of spectators pretty much the whole way round. And it’s flat as a pancake. 
  • NE - if you extend the y axis it wont look so bad !  It looks like 8mm to around 9.5mm, like Jools, I've been there too.  I've not done Chester but isnt there a hill around 20 or 21 miles ?  Well done for a respectable time.

Jools/Reg - you've a point about the ultras, but for some reason I cant quite put my finger on, I dont feel like I've completly raced them.  Cumulatively they have wiped me out though but I guess it depends on definition of "race"
  • Macca: the intensity isn't there in an ultra. I find racing parkrun gives me more of a runners high than a big endurance event however the big events give their own kind of high.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    NE - Well done for finishing. That graph looks painful. Good on you for having a crack at 3:30.

Macca - Under raced? I'm not sure you could fit much more racing in between preparing for and recovering from those 100 milers. I did 4x100m yesterday, looks a bit the same on paper.

John - Forecast sounds perfect. Fingers crossed everything else falls into place.

Steve - Hope the dress rehearsal goes alright. I always find it's harder than I think it should be. Just a part of the taper madness.

Jools - Good to see a few more Mona Fartleks getting done. Tough session but I can't think of a better one to do if you've got a spare 20 min. Great climbing to start the week.

Last double day today, the properly start the taper. It's not going to be anything crazy, probably 9-10 miles with 4ish miles MP at lunch then the club track session tonight which is scheduled as 15x90s with 30s rest.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd put in the obligatory racing shoe query just before the race.

I'm going to run Abingdon in my old Asics Hyperspeeds but will probably need to replace them for London and can't seem to find any Hyperspeeds around in my size. So I was considering what to try. I like quite a light shoe (wouldn't want to go much heavier than the Hyperspeeds at 175g/6.2oz) and was considering the Asics Piranha but wasn't sure there'd be enough cushioning for a marathon. I was also considering forking out for the Nike Vaporfly 4% but it seems an awful lot of money for a pair of shoes. Any other thoughts. 
  • NE - Looks like a painful final 10k, but you finished and had a good shot at 3:30. Recover well and come back stronger next time. I don't think Chester is flat is it, would have had an impact for sure.
    HA - Thanks, sounds easy 2m at MP but does seem tough at the time!
    AWC - Thanks, hope the tapering is going well.
    Joe / John - Good luck at the weekend.
    Macca - I don't think anyone would say you had under raced this year!!

Dress rehersal today, so 7 with 2 at MP. Wasn't sure if I should delay this as had a sports massage last night, but got it done anyway! MP miles were 6:59/7:03, so slightly too fast, but overall happy with that.
  • Sorry to see you had a tough one at Chester NE. Reminds me of my second marathon when I had a similarly miserable final six miles. Well done rallying yourself towards the end. 

HA as you know I am a fan of the Vaporfly now, although they are stupidly expensive and also quite hard to get hold of. Although they look like a bargain next to the Vaporfly Elite, which Nike released 100 pairs of for $500!? The Adidas Takumi Ren look similar to the Hyperspeeds and are a similar weight, although for me I think they’d be a bit too aggressive for a marathon.

Thanks for the advice on the GSR course, will bear that in mind. I think in that case I’ll just head out at 60 minute pace and see what happens. 10 miles along the canal for me this morning. Quite windy at times but the legs were feeling pretty good.

Good luck to Steve, Joe and John for the weekend!