Options

Unrealistic marathon ambition?

I've just completed my first half marathon and was thinking of kicking on and putting in for a marathon in April or May next year. Most of the training plans seem to be around 20 weeks so I thought that was achievable. My training at the moment is around 20 miles a week, comprised of one run of 11 miles and a couple of shorter ones. However I popped into a running shop (the type that does analysis etc) today and was chatting to one of the advisers. She said she thought that was too short a time frame for progressing from half to full marathon and that I should do two or three more halves and not think about a full marathon until later in 2018 at least. Does she have a point? I was certainly planning to get a couple more halves in beforehand but hadn't thought of leaving it that long before trying the full thing.

Comments

• Options

Sensible words from the sales assistant.

Saying that I do think there is enough time to train for the full, but if I was in your shoes I would look to this time next year. The more preparation the better really and it gives you more time to get your long runs increased and the overall mileage up too. Marathons aren't going anywhere - no need to rush :)

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on a couple of things, mainly what you want to get out of it. Most likely, if your goal is to complete a marathon, from a base of doing 20 miles a week and being able to complete a half (I'm assuming it wasn't a horrible experience for you as you seem keen to do more of it!), then it is certainly do-able. If you want to run a marathon close to your potential, you will most likely want to build up your mileage for a bit longer.

My advice would be if you want to run a marathon, then go for it. It may not be your best possible one, but you can always do another after, and learn from your training and your experience on the day to improve.
  • Options
    stu1970stu1970 ✭✭✭
    My main ambition is just to get around and complete it. The half  (Cardiff) went well. Managed to run the whole thing. Deliberately went at slow pace as ambition was to run the distance rather than stop-start.
  • Options
    Assuming training goes OK, you'll definitely get round but giving yourself longer, upping your base mileage, getting your half time down and then going into a marathon training programme off the back of that will mean you'll perform probably a lot better.

I've done it the quick way, where I got a place for London and then trained for 14 weeks off of not a huge base and to be honest, it wasn't a great experience. That was a few years back and I've not done another road marathon since but now, having got a really solid base of 30 miles a week, which I've maintained for about a year, I feel way, way more prepared for another crack at a marathon and am aiming to knock about 1h20 off my London time.
  • Options
    1. Improve 3k/5k and 10km race times
    2. Train towards running a decent HM time.
    3. Train towards running a debut Marathon.

In 12 months you will be ready to run a decent Marathon time by being adequately prepared to run the distance with weekly long runs and gradually increasing your weekly mileage

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    If you just want to get round it, go for it.

Others are right in saying that you could wait, build up for longer and run a better marathon but if you're sensible with training, build up gradually and have a realistic goal time you should be fine even if it is tough and painful. 

It really depends on how well you want to run. What's the definition of a decent marathon anyway? For lots of people it's just getting around, for others it's under 2:10.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    You say your aim is to get round.
    On that basis you have time.

I personally would agree with the thoughts of others in that training more, running (and improving halfM times) and getting a feel for the different requirements of a training programme would stand you in good stead for tackling , enjoying and being successful at a marathon.

I accept that for many, the marathon is the pinnacle of running. I however am more impressed by a single 1h30 half than 50 5hr+ marathons.

To even get round you will pretty much need to double your 20mpw training. 
  • Options
    Agree with above. I also should have added that if you are undercooked and do a marathon you will hate it in places! Obvious it's ok after with a beer in your hand, but can be a very painful experience 
  • Options
    Im going against the grain and saying you should definately do it.
    Your first marathon is a personal best no matter what the time. And either way everyone is happy to get round their first regardless of time.
    If you ran the whole half then  you will do the marathon in 6 months easy. You are fit enough. 
    I think it is easy to overthink this stuff sometimes. You just need to go for it. I was a half marathon runner and then signed up to my first  50 mile before even doing a marathon. And guess what. I didnt die. I loved it.
    You need to go for it. Realise what you nailed, what you hated, what you could have done better. Then improve on it next time.

Best of luck
    C
  • Options
    I think you could do it and be sure to increase mileage and frequency, gradually.
  • Options
    Agree with all the comments here. I would go for it, plenty of time to get good meaningful training in the bag. You will learn lots from your first marathon which will give you a brillaint foundation to go on and improve. Good Luck!
    All i have is all i need, enough for love but not for greed
  • Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    If you are doing 20 miles a week now then i think its entirely doable.  If you havent been running long then i would make sure that you do strength work (there are simple sessions you can do at home on this RW site0, core work and stretching which will limit your chances of getting injured. That said, these rules apply to most people running a marathon anyway.  One of the biggest limiters for marathon training is having the enthusiasm and drive to get out and train so if you have that, you are at least half way there.
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Here's my tuppenth.

I did my first mara off sweet fa training, and I mean sweet fa.

I wasn't going to be a runner. Had to have a shoulder op so couldn't play rugby. I was considering giving up full time playing as at the age of 42 I was getting injuries that weren't going away. Someone suggested I train for a marathon in the spring to keep fit if nothing else. (Shakespeare in April)

Just never got around to doing the training. I mean, how hard could it be? loads of people do it and I'd seen people doing London marathon in all sorts of costumes so it can't be that hard.

It was long, it was hard, and it hurt. For the last 6/8 miles it was just attrition. Run, walk, run (Well, jog/shuffle anyway). Came in at 4:36 and took ages to recover.

Knew that I could do better if I trained. Entered another, Loch Ness at the start of October to ' Do it properly', and Snowdon at the end of October for the challenge of the hills and not having any pressure to go fast, I could just enjoy the scenery.

Started my training with a 16 week plan in June and did 3:45:05 at Locj Ness. That 5 seconds really bugged me!. Ran it all the way and climbed Ben Nevis with the wife the following day. Went round Snowdon just over 4 hours. That's the difference training made to me. That was eight years ago and I'm now approaching 20 marathons, along with various other races of various distances on various surfaces. For me failing at the first one spurred me on to others. 

So my answer is train or don't, do it tomorrow or next year, or the year after, it's all up to you. The difference training makes is how fast you want to go, how much do you want it to hurt at the time, and how quick do you want to recover.

Your choice. 
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    stu1970stu1970 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking of putting in for one in April or May. Training has been going well since I did the Cardiff Half Marathon and I feel like pushing on. Also gives me a new target to aim for. Only thing now is which one to go for. Like sound of Manchester from point of view of being fairly flat and also a city marathon so the crowd and large field of runners helps a lot. Found that really helpful in Cardiff. Milton Keynes is fairly close by as I live on the edge of London. Seems like a fairly quiet, leafy route though. Brighton also close-ish but a pain about having to go there the day before to pick up your runners pack, and also the accommodation is ridiculously expensive. Going to Manchester is actually only an extra hour and a half from where I am on the train so very tempted. There's also Blackpool and Liverpool, which both seem fun, as outside bets. Decisions, decisions.
  • Options
    I have seen friends stick more rigidly to training plans when training for a marathon than for any other distance. And this is the key - whatever race distance you choose, whatever plan you follow, consistency and progression will improve you as a runner over all distances. I bet most on here set 10k and half PBs in the build up to marathons. Best of luck, and most importantly enjoy yourself. 
  • Options
    I took up running May 2014 and ‘ran’ the Dublin Marathon in October 2014.
    Wish I built it up over a couple of years like others advised at the time as it was torture. 
  • Options
    stu1970stu1970 ✭✭✭
    Opted for Manchester in the end.
  • Options
    Unless you're planning on competing at a professional level then you have more than enough time to work up to a full marathon.

24 weeks or so to improve your distance by 13 miles is only going up half a mile a week on average, not sure why anyone would think you would need a year to go from half marathon distance to full.

Let us know how you get on, just keep consistent in your training.