Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SK - Congrats on the PB and age group win!
    Jelly & John - Great marathons!
    Shades & Big G - Well done again!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Right I've fiddled around with the half results and I think 8878 finishers, so if 25% DNS's then that's nearly 12k entries.  I don't know if there would be such a high DNS % for a half, so just guessing.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I think it was free delivery,the £68 was what I paid in total.
    My foot was feeling better last night and today so I went for a slow 3 miles to test it,a little sore at the end but not too bad.I'm pretty sure it is the tendon that goes from the back of the ankle wraps into the foot and that area is where the pain was.When I was running today that tendon was still sore then the foot came a bit later,either way a few more days of Anti-inflammatories should do the trick,and no speed or hillwork from what I can read.
  • Jumped on the shuttle bus out to Alexander Stadium at 7am which arrived 15 minutes earlier than planned, because the roads were closed and there was no traffic!! So had an hour and 15 minutes of waiting around before the start, had a spare t-shirt on to stay warm though which I then binned at the start. Spotted a friend (David) and chatted before the race to pass the time. Made our way into the stadium and onto the track for the start, one thing struck me to start with was that there were not many people in the area for sub 3 hour runners. I placed myself in the 3:00-3:15 area, where I spotted Luke who I used to work with. By 8:30 we were off and it only took me about 30s to cross the line.

I kind of felt I wasn't in shape for a 3:05 attempt, but as I hadn't raced since my ultra in August, kind of decided to just go for it anyway to see what happened!! First few miles along the A34 up the flyovers and underpasses were hillier than I expected, but I stuck to my pace of around 7:05 min/miles. Saw my girlfriend at 4 miles and she said she would see me later! Got through 10k in 44:26, which I knew was PB pace, I felt good so continued with that pace. Was running with a lady by this point who was running the exact same pace, she asked what time I was aiming for, but she then decided that the pace was a bit quick for her, so she decided to ease off (a decision that would pay dividends later), whereas I decided to push on. Went through 20k at 1:28:29 (10k split 43:59), so a bit faster, but still felt OK at this point.

Continued on and ended up running with a young guy called Jordan who turns out was running his first marathon and was 19....I felt old at this point!! We went through 16 miles and he tells me he has never ran further than this before. Saw my girlfriend again around 17 miles and basically told her that it wasn't going to be my day as things were getting tough. Went through 30k at 2:12:45 (10k split 44:20), so still on pace, but not feeling easy anymore. Jordan continued on as he felt strong (finished in 3:08ish as I saw him at the finish). Hit the water station after 19 miles and took a walking break to chuck some water over my head and down my neck as it was really warm/humid, this was a mistake as I then took a few more walking breaks before the finish rather than continue to run, my race was over. However was surprised to see that I got to 20 miles in 2:25 which I knew was good for a PB, however I knew I couldn't hold that pace for another 10k.

Did a run walk after this and hit 40k in 3:06:01 (10k split 53:16), noticed a guy dressed as a cello behind me and vowed that I wouldn't let him pass (he got the WR!), luckily he didn't pass and I still slowed to finish in 3:18:47. My second fastest marathon but a fair way off my PB. Road marathon number 5 done. Saw Luke at this finish and he was over the moon with his 3:01, meaning he got his GFA!

Overall, looking back, while originally disappointed I'm happy that on a bad day I managed a 3:18, which last year would have been a 5 minute PB, however I know I can do better, with a more focussed preparation. The course wasn't great, but some might enjoy it. It was billed as flat, but it was a lot hillier than Berlin and Manchester which ARE pancake flat!

2 mile recover today with an easy week planned but do have Great South, so not sure if I will race that or not, will see how the legs feel.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - free delivery is good, when I was trawling for Guide 9's there was a retailer on Amazon charging £16 for delivery from Italy.   I try to avoid Amazon as I don't trust the way the pricing is on the shoes.

That's great news with the foot, be careful though, tendons are not always quick to heal.  Might benefit from some light strapping during the day to try and protect it in case you accidently go over slightly on to the side of your foot.

I take it you were trying out the new shoes :D

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - well done, a lovely race report.   You did really well and your 2nd fastest marathon is really good especially as you knew you hadn't quite enough time to do the preparation you wanted too do.   It was humid on Sunday and that does make a difference to race performance.    Having had a brief walk to cool yourself then sets the brain into losing focus and it wants you to walk more but you ran well and as usual your splits for the first three 10k sections are impressive.   

Glad you didn't let the cello beat you, he must have been warm in a costume.

I think you'll be fine to race GSR but you might change your mind and take it easy, I've been told it's going to be windy and that's a problem on that course

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    That's a shame with Nottingham. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Great report and a brilliant time all in all,I seen on the tracker you were slowing and was hoping you weren't injured.The cello man broke the HM world record at Wirral also,he finished in 3:20. It does make me wonder how I can get to 3:15 if you find it tough  :/
    Shades-I did indeed try the new shoes,lovely illuminious yellow colour  :D never had a bright colour before but I really like them.
  • Ran about 11k on Saturday with a hillier route and a particularly steep section at a forest park, but had to walk part of it, but got something to try and improve on next time I go there. Rested on Sunday, but couldn't get out yesterday with Storm Ophelia battering Belfast yesterday. Hopefully get out again today, but definitely tomorrow morning anyway.
    Then when I get a bit of time I'll look over the marathon plans and see what will work best for me
  • Shades - Thanks. I think to nail that GFA time I need a good 18 week build up, like I had for Manchester, rather than a part build up after a big ultra. I also don't know if maybe I can't race 2 marathons a year, I'll see how next year turns out with only one marathon to see what I do going forwards.

Ian - You have made massive improvements this year, so I have no doubt that with another good block of training that you can get that 3:15. Your times certainly indicate that you can.
  • That is a shame about Nottingham, as it's quite close I had always considered that one, but always had something planned, hopefully they bring it back at some point, otherwise I'll just have to do the half instead!!
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Steve - nice report and still a very decent time, even though you faded a bit at the end. As you say, it's still your 2nd best marathon and off not a proper build up is pretty impressive.

Belfast - well done getting out for a run, hope the winds are too bad.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Steve - great report :)

Not a huge amount to report over here.  I did a 4-mile run yesterday, and a 7-miler today, both at about 10s; legs feel totally fine, but I'm a bit tired generally.  Unsure what I'm going to for the rest of the week, before Abingdon.  I may see if I can do some kind of speed session, just to get the legs turning over, even if it's just 12x45-secs, or something.  I'll decide on the day, probably!

Car passed its MOT though, with no issues at all, so that's always a relief.  There's nearly always *something* at least (even if it's only windscreen wipers), but not this time :)  In my mind I had £150 for a MOT and any bits and pieces needed, so I've got over £100 in reserve, which is probably a pair of running shoes and a race entry ;) 
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Shades & Big G - well done at Burton Bradstock :):) . Shades for finishing in a decent time even though everything not ok and Big G for yet another sub 4. That's one I've never heard of before. Although as I've not been looking for marathons on websites recently that's probably why. Did have a look at 100MC website yesterday and was surprised just how many marathons are listed for next year.

slowkoala - brilliant run at Cabbage Patch  :)

Jelly - well done on your new pb  :). Enjoy that and just let the sub 4 come when it comes (and it surely will).

Steve - well done on toughing it out at the end after a classic beginning and middle. Great report too  :)

John - congratulations on your first marathon  :). A cracking time too for a first - you'll probably take a large chunk off of that next time - there will be a next time won't there?
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    I walked Spires and Steeples in Lincolnshire on Saturday after having run it for the past few years. Met a friend just after the start and we walked the whole route together. He was just a bit tired after having run a marathon on the Saturday, so I did have to slow down occasionally but it was good to have the company. Pleasant, flat multi-terrain route and excellent signage :) . Only water at the checkpoints but as we both knew that we had brought along some snacks. (The route does go past some shops and also a couple of pubs if you're desperate.) Warmish weather but also a good cooling breeze - the promised sun didn't peek out until we were nearly finished. Came in at 8 hrs 17 mins and this year we got a medal instead of a t-shirt. Good event for a first trail race - not too demanding route wise and you shouldn't get lost. Only disappointment was the chickens - or rather lack of chickens. Previous years we've gone through a free-range chicken farm and had to weave our way through hundreds of clucking ginger chickens. This year they were all inside (because of the bird flu)  :'(

Had to take my car up to the garage this morning. When I drove home from work late last night I found I had no headlights  :s. Drove along the double carriage A road on full beam - luckily there is a high and wide barrier between the opposite carriageways. Garage said both bulbs had gone and popped new ones in on the spot. Will check it's all ok later when it's dark  ;)
  • Nice report Steve. Do you still think you still had the ultra in your legs? I’m sure you’ll get the GFA next time, on a flatter course and with a longer build up.

Shades - I ordered the same Guide 9s from Sports Shoes on Friday and they came today. So we can be shoe twins! I prefer to get a new colour when I get th same shoes again, otherwise I get mixed up. But I couldn’t face the bright pink either!

I’ve entered a local 10k next month which is quite a bit off road, so maybe that can be an excuse to get some new off road shoes! Can anyone recommend a neutral pair of off roads? I’ve got some adidas kanadia that I got from sports direct ages ago, but I’ve heard good things about the inov8 range. My OH actual asked me to enter him into the same 10k so I think he’s getting a bit more interested in running! 

Had a tough fitness class last night, the instructor said I have a problem with speed and should try and keep up with his 15 yo son in the sprint bits! I was knackered at the end as a result and I of course failed to keep up! But my legs actually felt OK considering the race on the Sunday.
  • Mowzer - I guess the plus side of walking these events that you are used to running is that you get a chance to catch up properly with people! That’s a bit weird for both bulbs to go at the same time, hope the car is OK now.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    A RW Forum question.  Does anyone know how to turn off notifications for specific threads?  I responded to a couple of London Marathon related threads and I'm still getting notifications (not emails) for them, which I am not interested in.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - kit and shoes comes in fabulous colours now, I bet a few years ago you'd never have dreamed that you'd ever be wearing bright yellow shoes :D

BelfastRunner - hope there's not too much damage from the storm, looked quite scary on TV.   that's good to have a route with a challenging hill and you can then gauge your improvement.  When is your half marathon race?

Steve - it seems that your Spring marathon should be your target race.  Last year at Berlin you didn't get the result you wanted so it may be that a solid winter's training suits you best before you get side-lined by ultras etc.  Maybe your autumn marathon could be a different marathon challenge, not a PB but say a more challenging course like Langdale/Snowdonia/Cornish or any of the many trail races.

I can't see any news about Nottingham marathon being ditched but I'm on their email list and although they still call themselves Robin Hood Marathon Events there's no entry option or details of any marathon, just the half which is 30th September next year.

Big G - you are recovering more quickly after each marathon now :)

Good news on the MOT, money for another pair of shoes and a race entry, would that entry be a marathon by chance? ;)  

mowzer - you would enjoy Burton Bradstock, very quiet roads although I had to stop and climb in the hedge  twice for big tractors and one stop in a gateway to let the milk tanker pass.   The RO was driving around in the latter stages checking everyone was OK, I asked him if I was holding them up knowing I was going to finish over 5 hours and he said no, he wanted everyone to finish no matter how long it took.   Afterwards I found out that the race info had an 8 hour time limit.

Well done at Spires and Steeples.  I didn't realise that hens still had to be kept in because of the bird flu.  I wonder if Big G and Louey will see the turkeys at Abingdon? 

That's a bit spooky both headlight bulbs going at the same time.   My last car ate headlight bulbs, I think I had 4 in 7 years. 

SK - I had the email yesterday from Sportsshoes to say my shoes had been despatched, I'm so cross with them again as I asked them to send by Royal Mail and once again they've sent them by Hermes carrier.  I sent them a stroppy email and then rang them up and had a right go at them, very nice girl who then checked my history with them and had to apologise for their Customer Services not replying to two of my emails that I sent a few months ago.   She's promised to sort out any problems with this order, which she won't be able to do as this was the last pair of Guide 9's in my size.  Did you look at the link that Ian put up where he bought his shoes?   They had Guide 9's in a different colour.

I've heard the Inov8's are very good off road shoes.

Cheeky of the instructor to criticise your speed!  But distance runners tend to avoid abrupt bursts of speed, it's our self preservation I guess.

I had a lovely run today, 5 miles, hip flexor is just a mild ache and after a couple of miles I thought I'd try a bit more of an undulating route ,that was fine too so finished the whole run on the back road which is gently up and down.   Not sure my hip flexor would survive a marathon without pain but good progress I think and I still have 11 days before Dublin :)

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't think you can turn off notifications for specific threads any more but the Notification Preferences are quite detailed, I only have mine set for my bookmarked threads and messages
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades, I've just set my notifications up the same way, as I was getting notifications for threads I'm not really actively participating in.

Following our conversation the other day about doubles, I did look into Belfast.  Flights are very reasonable but I couldn't really find reasonably-priced accommodation and the likes of hotels.com and booking.com are reporting nearly 90% full.  But I may keep it mind for another year.

Similarly, I do have an opportunity to do Rotterdam, but the accommodation is very expensive as the city appears to be nearly booked out.  So if I want to do that one year, I think I need to be more on the ball and book accommodation well in advance.

Anyway, this morning I went out and did 12x45-secs efforts, with 45-sec recovery and really enjoyed it.  With warm up and cool down it was 4.5 miles.

Not sure what I'm going to do the rest of the week, but I am planning on taking a rest day on Saturday (not even a jog around a parkrun).  I did 6-miles last Saturday and then Burton Bradstock Marathon on the Sunday, whereas for Munich I didn't do any running on the Saturday, so I am going to replicate that for Abingdon.  Having said that, I did do a lot of walking on the Saturday before Munich and was pretty tired, but still I'll take a full rest day and see how I get on.  If the conditions are good and I'm feeling up for it, I'm planning on seeing if I can scrape some time off of my PB.  I actually don't think sub-3:30 is possible for me at the moment, but maybe sub-3:40?  We'll see :smile:   Then that's it in terms of "quick" marathons until next year - my remaining events this year won't produce quick times I don't think, although maybe one or two more sub-4s would be nice.

I emailed the Dartmoor Vale RD and he has said he'll get me in to the race if I let him know by the Thursday, but I am still not sure as I have my first double the week after.  What do you think?  If I do it, that will be my 5th this month, and then a double the week later.  Should I take a break before the double, or if I feel I can get around DMV without totally knackering myself, just do it?

I'm also on the reserve list for Cornish and I think I probably have a good chance of getting in if I want to....I'm 3rd on the list.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - there aren't enough hotels in Belfast and you need to book early, this is where I normally stay, it's a 5 minute walk from the start.  https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/northern-ireland/antrim/belfast/belfast-city-centre-alfred-street.html?ARRdd=06&ARRmm=05&ARRyyyy=2018&NIGHTS=2&ROOMS=1&ADULT1=1&CHILD1=0&COT1=0&INTTYP1=DB&SID=4

Showing £76 for 2 nights as I guess you'd want a wander round on the Tuesday, that's a good price.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades, that is a very good price and far cheaper than reasonable places I found on booking.com etc.  I have made other plans that weekend now, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for another year.  There are almost too many events to choose from - not that I'm complaining!  I'm well into Steve's book now, and reading about the logistics of those times when there were far fewer events is pretty impressive!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think with Rotterdam, is to book accommodation 10 to 12 months in advance and then cancel if you change your plans.

Belfast is only £30 to enter early bird entry and they post your number to you so there's no need to worry about number pick up.

Big_G said:

I emailed the Dartmoor Vale RD and he has said he'll get me in to the race if I let him know by the Thursday, but I am still not sure as I have my first double the week after.  What do you think?  If I do it, that will be my 5th this month, and then a double the week later.  Should I take a break before the double, or if I feel I can get around DMV without totally knackering myself, just do it?

I'm also on the reserve list for Cornish and I think I probably have a good chance of getting in if I want to....I'm 3rd on the list.
    I am not going to advise about whether you should run DMV, at some time you need to have a good run around there to lay that bad run you had to rest, remember that rain :'(   Why not just postpone the decision for now and rethink it the day before you have to tell the RD, just focus on Abingdon for now.

I am just about to update the marathon list so I'll pencil you in for the Cornish as you should get a place.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - another year for Belfast then, I can't go next year but might do it in 2019, not planning a double though.   ;)

No rush for the book, it's a good read though.

• Shades - Agreed, that's definately been the case for the last 2 autumn marathons.
    Mowzer - Well done at Spires & Steeples.
    SK - My Inov8 roclites have treated me well. I don't know if the ultra was still in my legs. It took me longer to recover than I expected, I'll know in future to leave a longer period between events, as I guess 9 weeks wasn't long enough for the recovery and build up.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    SK - I got some Inov8s (X-Talon 212) last year for cross country, got on well with them although I've only worn them 3 times I think as almost always run on roads! From memory they didn't have loads of padding so maybe not the best for a long run but certainly fine for 10k distance (our XC races are normally around 5 miles)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Marathon List 

13th March
    Enigma - Milton Keynes
    Big G - PB 3:54:17   

2nd April
    Manchester
    Cal - PB 4:29:29  
    Ian5 -  4:29
    Steve -  PB 3:10:15  
    NickW2 - PB 3:24:59  

9th April
    Paris
    SuzSaville82 - PB 4:26  
    Rotterdam
    Emmy 4:42
    Brighton
    Louey  - 4:24:45

23rd April
    London
    Big G - 4:00:59
    Iain Love - 2:57:49
    Slowkoala - 3:12:43
    Southampton
    Jugula - 4:21

29th April
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:29
    Shades - 5:01

7th May
    Great Welsh
    Shades - 4:44:12

13th May
    Marathon de Blaye 
    mamafox - 3:40 - 3rd place and she did win the wine  

14th May
    Hereford
    Shades - 4:45:59

21st May
    Worcester
    Shades - 4:53:46
    Leiden
    Big G - 3:54:25
    Emmy - 4:42:59 (including beer stops)

27th May
    Saturday Night
    Iain - 3:20:45 Winner   

28th May
    Liverpool
    Cal - 4:37:52
    Dorchester
    Shades - 4:56:16

3rd June
    Dartmoor Discovery
    Shades  - PB 6:32:17 

11th June
    Yeovil Marathon
    Shades - 5:13

15th June
    Dorney Lake 6 Hour
    Shades - 5:29:59  B 

18th June
    Enigma Clueless
    Big G - 5:09:58 B

24th June
    Giantshead
    Emmy - 5:56

24th/25th June
    Harp 24
    mowzer - 28 miles

25th June
    Boddington Marathon
    Shades - 4:59:57

2nd July
    Wirral Ultra
    Ian5 - PB 7:01 

9th July
    LDWA From Here to There
    mowzer 9:06

15th July
    Chiltern Challenge 50km
    Steve - PB 5:06 

23rd July
    Ironman Marathon
    Iain - 3:29:54

29th July
    Enigma Planes
    Big G - 4:35

6th August
    Gloucester
    Big G - 3:58:10

12th August
    SVP 100km
    Steve -  PB 12:22 

13th August
    mowzer - 7:50

Isle of Man
    Shades - 4:59:06

3rd September
    City to Sea 
    Big G - 5:28:53

14th September
    Dorney Lake 
    Big G - 4:14:12

17th September
    Lancaster
    Ian -  PB 3:34:41 

24th September
    Loch Ness
    Shades 5:06:10

1st October
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:44:59

8th October 
    Chester
    Ian - PB 3:31:26 

Munich
    Big G - PB 3:42:38 

Yorkshire
    Lily - PB 5:07:15 

15th October
    Birmingham
    Steve - 3:18:47
    John - PB 4:43:52 
    Jelly - PB 4:06:20 

Burton Bradstock
    Big G - 3:54:24S
    Shades - 5:15:07

22nd October
    Marine Corps Marathon
    Emmy

Abingdon
    Big G
    Louey

29th October
    Dartmoor Vale
    Jelly

Dublin
    Shades

3rd November
    Halloween 
    Big G

4th November
    Halloween
    Big G

11th November
    Phoenix Remembrance
    Iain

12th November
    Phoenix Jurassic
    Emmy
    Iain

19th November
    Cornish
    Big G
    Shades

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Next year I'm going to put the marathon list on a spreadsheet so hopefully I can paste it in a more compact form, especially now that Big G is doing all these marathons ;)
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Shame I wasn't on this forum at beginning of year. Would be three extra on there.