P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Well done John - thoroughly deserved!!
  • Options
    Well done John!
  • Options
    Great result John - good work fellah..and a minute to spare. 
  • Options
    JohnOz... that's a cracker.  Well done!  Look forward to the full report.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Smashing it John. Congratulations.
    Amsterdam looks to have gone pretty well too. 

Look forward to hearing all about the weekend's marathons soon. 
    Just a hilly 11M multi-terrain race for me today: Ponty Plod 1600ft of climbing, numerous stiles & gates, muddy tracks, fields & lanes. 20th (5th MV40+) of 173 finishers in 1:31. Not too shabby after yesterday's race double & completes my highest mileage week in over 6 months B)
    Just watched this epic from '85 Talk about positive splitting & going in to the hurt zone. https://deadspin.com/steve-jones-raw-starting-and-finishing-a-marathon-does-1735884995

• Options
    Fantastic, mighty run, well done John !

Missed acknowledging some earlier ace results, including NE’s brave effort with an even more unusual heart rate trace ! I enjoyed Ouch Ouch’s Munich Mara Musings too - congratulations on a great race and time. Good parkrun improvements JCG. Jooligan, don’t know how you do it !

As for me I had to drag myself round Birmingham half today as I didn’t feel up to racing it. Managed 1.23.57 for a marathon zone effort, so good training run but poor race. I can’t seem to hit top gear since London and all the rehabbing afterwards. Mara effort feels easy but speed feels like it’s locked away somewhere - my hips are tight again, so I think the gluteal tendinopathy may be back in play. Ho hum.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Great work John. From what I can tell from Strava your training has been really consistent and your result is very well deserved. Great that you finished strongly as well. 

Decent half Muddy. Hopefully you can find that speed again. Might be some biomechanical issue that's stopping you running fast as well as contributing to your glut tendinopathy and tight hips. It's tough to know though.

Great weekend of racing Jools. 
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    For anyone who's done Abingdon before or knows Abingdon, what's the best option for parking? I looked at the recommended places and there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of parking. I was thinking of driving up by myself and my family were thinking of coming up later to see me finish. I'm concerned that, with road closures, they might not be able to get to the car parks.
  • Options
    HA - I've run it the last 3 years but not had to worry about anybody supporting me :'(

I've never had a problem parking in either the recommeded college car park or the overflow car park, both around 5-10 min walk from start and I'm terrible at getting to races early.  From recollection it's the main road outside the start/finish that is closed so if they approach from the west I can't imagine there being a problem with access to the overflow car park, the college one will definitely be full first.

My top tip, if travelling by the M40, is to stop at the services
    at the junction with the a40 to lighten the load as it were and avoid queues at the start.

• Options

Great parkrun, JCG, bodes very well for Abingdon.

Nice MLR, AWC, if the effort was right that puts you in great form.

Good racing, Jooligan, that cross challenge looks fun.

John, that is fantastic! Great splits and dealt well with the hill. Enjoy a celebration!

Macca, useful tip! HA I believe there are only road closures in the opening couple of miles (please correct me someone if I am wrong), so your family should be fine.

Track was shut on Saturday morning, so I settle for doing the winter parkrun route (4 tarmac laps of the lake). It is always slower than the summer route and I was obviously by myself and into the wind… excuses, excuses. 18:52 for a 90% effort. Well off what I wanted, but still a useful enough hit out a week out. Then took things far too heavily on Saturday night, risking marathon sabotage, but just felt like it after a very tough few weeks. Monk like living for the next week! Easy 10M yesterday, although with 3(!) stops to, er, help compost the local fields.

Enjoyable recovery with Spoons this morning. Rest of the week consists of (no. of days out from marathon) x 90s MP efforts. Nice and easy.

• Options

Thanks Jooligan. You’re addicted to racing? Really? You hid that well! ;) Nice weekend of racing by the way… lol

Well done on the parkrun JCG and for volunteering AWC. That’s reminded me to get in touch with my local one as it’s about time I volunteered! Great medium-long too AWC.

Big congratulations John on the sub-3, the splits on Strava looked very good, you held on well at the end.

Hope you can rediscover your speed Muddy, still a very solid time!

As SQ says recovery this morning. Very weird weather, so warm and it now looks like a post-apocalyptic movie outside, very yellow and overcast. 

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Cheers Macca and SQ. 

4x400m session today. Typically for taper time it felt weak and lacklustre. I'm pretty sure it's just the expectation of feeling fresh and raring to go playing with my head. 2 miles MP on Weds and just very easy jogging the other days, with a few strides on Saturday.
  • Options
    HA77 said:

Decent half Muddy. Hopefully you can find that speed again. Might be some biomechanical issue that's stopping you running fast as well as contributing to your glut tendinopathy and tight hips. It's tough to know though.

I think the issue may be connected with sitting on my arse all day and then a bit longer. I'll double down on the glute activation stuff (managed a session at lunch). I do need to consult an expert though as it is a very familiar pattern. I seem to remember getting out of it before with some manipulations and hamstring stability curls.

While I'm here I'd be interested to hear SteveMac's opinion on the mara finish and main loop being coincident with the half. He was probably too fast to get involved in that element of things but the 2 loop structure seems to have had front runners of the mara running into runners from the delayed mara wave. As a half participant, I ran into the tail end of the marathon finishers, consisting of people who were suffering greatly. The last thing they will have wanted is to see or avoid the half folks steaming past.
  • Options
    It certainly was a tidy HM Muddy. Glute weakness is definitely hampering me. It was the cause of my knee problem which surfaced in Feb & has yet to go away.
    Was very confused about the Mara as I knew 2 clubmates doing it, both as their 1st & with very different expectations. The faster guy was through 11M before the woman had even started. On a 2 lap course that's got to be a mess. Then throw the HM runners into the mix for a perfectly chaotic event IMO.
    Another steady 7M for me today. Pleased to report that even with the windy conditions, a tough weekend of racing & the daily cycle commute in the legs my beats per mile were the lowest they've been on that route since January. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    John - Superb run from you, congrats on the sub 3, the training defo paid off!!
    Joe - Great run from you too, and good to see Katie smashed it too.
    Muddy - That's still a great HM time!! I don't think they thought the course through very well, while I had slowed a lot on the latter stages of the second lap, I still had to overtake others whereas I was expecting to be overtaken more! I know someone who had issues passing people who did the half, I can only hope they fix that before next year if they want more people to take part. Did you find the course better than previous years (if you have run it before)?
  • Options
    Jumped on the shuttle bus out to Alexander Stadium at 7am which arrived 15 minutes earlier than planned, because the roads were closed and there was no traffic!! So had an hour and 15 minutes of waiting around before the start, had a spare t-shirt on to stay warm though which I then binned at the start. Spotted a friend (David) and chatted before the race to pass the time. Made our way into the stadium and onto the track for the start, one thing struck me to start with was that there were not many people in the area for sub 3 hour runners. I placed myself in the 3:00-3:15 area, where I spotted Luke who I used to work with. By 8:30 we were off and it only took me about 30s to cross the line.

I kind of felt I wasn't in shape for a 3:05 attempt, but as I hadn't raced since my ultra in August, kind of decided to just go for it anyway to see what happened!! First few miles along the A34 up the flyovers and underpasses were hillier than I expected, but I stuck to my pace of around 7:05 min/miles. Saw my girlfriend at 4 miles and she said she would see me later! Got through 10k in 44:26, which I knew was PB pace, I felt good so continued with that pace. Was running with a lady by this point who was running the exact same pace, she asked what time I was aiming for, but she then decided that the pace was a bit quick for her, so she decided to ease off (a decision that would pay dividends later), whereas I decided to push on. Went through 20k at 1:28:29 (10k split 43:59), so a bit faster, but still felt OK at this point.

Continued on and ended up running with a young guy called Jordan who turns out was running his first marathon and was 19....I felt old at this point!! We went through 16 miles and he tells me he has never ran further than this before. Saw my girlfriend again around 17 miles and basically told her that it wasn't going to be my day as things were getting tough. Went through 30k at 2:12:45 (10k split 44:20), so still on pace, but not feeling easy anymore. Jordan continued on as he felt strong (finished in 3:08ish as I saw him at the finish). Hit the water station after 19 miles and took a walking break to chuck some water over my head and down my neck as it was really warm/humid, this was a mistake as I then took a few more walking breaks before the finish rather than continue to run, my race was over. However was surprised to see that I got to 20 miles in 2:25 which I knew was good for a PB, however I knew I couldn't hold that pace for another 10k.

Did a run walk after this and hit 40k in 3:06:01 (10k split 53:16), noticed a guy dressed as a cello behind me and vowed that I wouldn't let him pass (he got the WR!), luckily he didn't pass and I still slowed to finish in 3:18:47. My second fastest marathon but a fair way off my PB. Road marathon number 5 done. Saw Luke at this finish and he was over the moon with his 3:01, meaning he got his GFA!

Overall, looking back, while originally disappointed I'm happy that on a bad day I managed a 3:18, which last year would have been a 5 minute PB, however I know I can do better, with a more focussed preparation. The course wasn't great, but some might enjoy it. It was billed as flat, but it was a lot hillier than Berlin and Manchester which ARE pancake flat!

2 mile recover today with an easy week planned but do have Great South, so not sure if I will race that or not, will see how the legs feel.
  • Options
    John - congratulations mate, made up for you! You deserved that after all your hard work, make sure you savour that first sub 3.

steve - great run all things considered, sounds like you just didn't have the endurance in your legs at the end. Still a fantastic time and a great place to kick on from. What was it like as event, any teething problems?

Just on the train to Amsterdam airport, it's been a cracking trip. Would really recommend the race to anyone, well organised and great city. 

Largely stuck to my plan, holding myself back in the early stages and enjoying the crowds while keeping an eye out for Katie on the out and backs. Went through half way basically bang on 1.30, HR was really low and feeling great. 

Slowly started picking it up in the second half, always the nice way to run a marathon as I must have passed 100s in the last 10 miles and wasn't passed once. Ended up coming home in 1.23 for what felt like a pretty comfortable 2.53. Don't get me wrong - it still hurt a fair bit in the last 6 miles. I think marathons always do..

Loitered around the finish line praying Katie wouldn't be far behind. She ran a perfectly paced race, a 20 second negative split for a 3.10 - 48 minute PB. She was all over the place at the finish though; had certainly given it everything. Many, many beers were consumed on Sunday evening.

Hope the taper isn't driving people mad!
  • Options
    Joe - I don't think having the start 4 miles out of the city centre and from the finish was the best idea and I didn't really like the idea of the 2 lap section. But the course was OK, as it did mean spectators could see runners more often than they might otherwise, with the out and backs it was easy to see people at 8/16 miles for instance. Also as muddy said there were some issues with the HM runners catching the slower marathon runners due to the lapped course, but this didn't really affect me.

Not one I would rush to do again unless they change the course, but glad I did it as it's my home marathon!

Interesting to note that winning time was 2:33:55, so some of you would have placed pretty high yesterday!
  • Options

A taper wouldn’t be a taper without a session that makes you question everything HA! ;) 

Great report Steve. The course doesn’t sound ideal - it definitely but me off when they announced it. At Bath, which is a lapped course, they divide the road in two so people on the second lap don’t get too caught up with people still on the first. Seemed to work well from memory.

Well done on the “comfortable” 2:53 Joe, although glad to hear it hurt a bit towards the end. Congrats to Katie too, she’s shown incredible improvements this year.

Did the “rehearsal” this morning - 2 miles at 5:59/mi. Wind was much lighter than yesterday but still a bit breezy which made it harder work than I’d like. Forecast for Sunday in Portsmouth is looking even windier so not sure sub-60 is going to be on. We’ll see. Hope the forecast for Abingdon is kinder for everyone! 

• Options
    Nicely done JB & awesome improvement from Katie.
    Bad luck Steve. Your report had some fairly familiar splits in there & a similar story to my first planned sub-3 attempt at Abo last year which ended with some walking at drinks stations & a 3:07 for (still) my second fastest marathon to date. Not at all confident about Snowdonia as although I'm definitely running well again I've not done the MLRs let alone any LRs this time & know that my weak glute will tire too early.
  • Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Apologies, been absent for a while. Mainly wanted to wish everyone doing Abo good luck. Looks like quite a contingent from the thread heading over so looking forward to hearing of all the good results.

Lots of racing going on, too many results to mention (and not enough time to go back through all the pages..)
    Can't remember if I've already commented on the two Ironman results but they were equally epic enough to get a second mention anyway. Well done Joe and Reg. 

Well done at the weekend Muddy and SteveMac.

Massive congrats to John for breaking 3 hours, I know how much you wanted it so great to see the plan come together. 

Great results for HA and Spoons at the respective half marathons too. Congrats to you both.

Apologies if I've missed any other notable results.

My plans for a possible autumn marathon are well and truly out the window after a recurrence of the ongoing back problem that's been plaguing me for the last year. Had tried to run through it but then started getting an awkward feeling in my right groin so stopped. Finally went to a physio who thought it was my sacroiliac(/ilium?) (SI) joint. I then ended up going to a chiropractor who confirmed the diagnosis as misalignment of SI joint.
    Good news is it is easily treatable, the chiropractor quoted 3-4 weeks to align it and then I start rehab to make sure it doesn't happen again. Hopefully once that's fixed I can get back to some consistent training and I can then focus on London.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Steve: well done on toughing it out and keeping going to the end. The course doesn't sound great but always nice to do one in your home city. I can't remember when your ultra was but it was fairly recent iirc so I'm not surprised you didn't have the legs for the last 6 miles - took me about 5 weeks to feel fully recovered from my ultra which is when I started my P&D 12 week plan.
  • Options

Nice work in the half, Muddy. I was wondering how it would work with the various start times and multi laps. Hope the glute issue can be resolved soon. After my it band issue from last November to February, I have been religious about doing at least 5 – 10 minutes glute activation/core exercises before each run. Gets the strength work done and acts as a warm up – two birds, one stone.

Great report, Steve. Interesting that you said to your gf you were finding things rough, whilst still going at the same pace. I suppose it is a real positive to recognise in a marathon when adjustments need to be made. 26.2 is certainly bigger picture racing.

Well done, Joe¸ for executing in style. Pleased your easy effort was a few seconds short of my pb! Amazing improvement from Katie as well. Hope you enjoyed celebrating. Bars or cafes?

Hope the chrio can sort you out, Alan, and without breaking the bank account.

Impressive dress rehearsal pacing, spoons, I thought it was still pretty windy! I did warm up, drills, 5 x 90s at approximate MP effort. It is hard to lock into a pace over that short a time, but comfortably hard seems to give the right onus.

Now I need to stop being a saddo and looking at my steps – they are diminishing as I taper, but I keep on thinking of excuses to walk around at work. Does that negate the desired tapering?!

I’ve succumbed to storing Abingdon as a saved location on my weather app. Sunday day time is 13C high and 16mph westerly.

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    I'm checking the weather too much for Sunday now! Was glad to get out for a 6mi recovery with some strides at lunch as yesterday everything was aching and I wasn't running and beginning to feel a bit paranoid. The run felt great as I realised I hadn't lost all my fitness. another 4 days of this :o
  • Options
    Spoons - Good to hear Bath have a better system for the laps!
    AWC - Ultra was middle of August, worked out at 9 weeks between events. Not sure if that was too soon or not.
    SQ - Pity I didn't slow down a bit when it did get tough, but we live and learn! Agree that racing 26.2 is tough, as it's an unforgiving distance, much easier to get away with things in the shorter stuff.

For all those running Abingdon, hope the taper madness isn't too bad....almost there now.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Just got a call from MacMillan saying that my VLM application has been accepted for 2018!
  • Options
    Just a quick check in. Well toughed out Steve and a great progression marathon Joe, kudos to Katie too.

I have been ill for a few days, spent most of today in bed trying not to vomit. Not a great sign for Abo! The good news is that I have not even thought about the weather. There's still a few days to go so hopefully it will pass in time but it's not the best preparation.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Steve - well done for toughing it out.

Joe - great run. Sound like just what you needed. Great race from Katie too. It's one thing to run a good half but another thing again to get it right for a full marathon. Very impressive.

Alan - really hope you can sort things out. I'm sure you've got a cracking marathon in you if you can get on top of the injuries.

Reg - hope the bug passes by the weekend. A rest now won't hurt.

AWC - great news about VLM. 

Just an easy few miles today. 5 with 2 at MP tomorrow. Do people do the full dress rehearsal? I don't bother anymore.
  • Options
    Carb depletion 80's style Reg - You'll be able to load up properly from Thursday. Need to man up & get out for a run to properly drain the reserves first.
    That's bad luck Alan just as you were building nicely - did wonder when it all went quiet again.
    Never done a dress rehearsal HA.
    Not really long enough to recover properly & rebuild the speed endurance SteveM. Look on it as a good base to build for Spring. Have you entered one yet?
    Another 10K for me today. Felt good from the off & ran the same pace as 7 weeks ago but felt so much easier as HR was 9 bpm lower. Calves are very tight from the w/e racing but nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Good news, AWC, almost certainly see you there.

Really sorry to hear about the bug, Reg. Hope it buggers off today. As HA says, at least you are not missing out on necessary training time. And you'll be nice and light?! Get on the electrolytes.

Hope the 5 with 2 MP goes well, HA. I never wear the actual kit I'll be running in any more, but did use to. As I've done a fair few marathons in the same pair of shorts and vest I am confident in how I will feel racing in them. If anything, I try to slightly overdress this week to help with feeling a tiny bit cooler on race day. Almost certainly scientifically incorrect, I'm sure.

Another nice 10k, Jooligan.

WU, drills, 4 x 90s MP efforts on grass this morning. Feeling good, although slightly tight glutes. Will get rolling later on. Also going to bypass the squats and deadlifts in this week's gym supervision. 

Finding with the reduced running I am feeling full all the time. I am eating less, but perhaps still more - just used to huge portions during 70M weeks.