Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - never mind, there'll be plenty more in the future and I'll be starting a new list in 2018 anyway. 
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Can't believe how fast this thread is moving. Starting to panic about keeping up(!)

Just a whizz through so sorry if I've missed mentioning anyone.

Steve - Great race report and result too. Felt for you in those last miles!

John - Well done on your first mara and coming out with a great result too. Had a Percy pig yet?!

Mowzer - Sounds like you really enjoyed your Steeples race. Remember you doing that before.

SK - Problem with speed??!!!! Don't make me laugh please! Well done on your cabbage race. Great prizes and great running from you as always.

Big G - Well done on another sub 4 hard on the heels of Munich too. Can't believe how much your running has changed this year.. and how you're zoomingthrough all these marathons. Are you going to go for the 100 club?

Cal - Can't believe you're still suffering with your back (()) Anyway, shift up on that injury bench.. I'm coming to join you!

Jelly - Great PB from you and I enjoyed reading about your race too.

Shades - Sorry to hear you weren't on top form for your race.. but thankfully you seem to be recovering from that. However, more importantly; thank goodness you did that second loop otherwise you would have missed out on seeing the stag. What a priviledge that was.

Not great news here, cold started to go on chest so feeling grungy plus toothache still niggling (appt next Monday) so dosing up on Nurofen. Had rubbish long run with no energy - at one point HRwent down to 50/53 for several km so not sure what that was about. Second time that's happened. And then the following day some muppet knocked me off my bike  :# Was cycling along an open road when this car coming from a side road didn't respect the stop sign and basically drove straight into me without slowing down at all, just didn't see me. I flew through the air, luckily landing half on the grass verge on the other side of the road and my bike landed a couple of meters further on.. a complete write off. Luckily, all things considered, I am ok. Got bandaged up, have cuts and bruises plus black eye and am now feeling like I've been run over by a truck but I'm ok. However, I've done something to my ankle/ foot (Same one which has just recovered from tendonitis  :#:#:#) so can't run on it. Not broken or anything so will just rest it (and the rest of my body!) for the moment and hope for the best. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Crikey MF, that sounds like a lucky escape.  Did the driver stop at all, to see if you were okay?  I hope you recover soon!

Regarding 100MC, I haven't said out loud to anyone about it, although a few people at the club have asked me.  I am obviously aware of 100MC, but it's not "a thing" for me at the moment, if that makes sense?  Maybe if I get well past 50 it may start becoming more of goal, but at the moment I'm just trying to enjoy the events, and 100 seems a long, long way off bearing in mind I've only currently done 18 (12 this year, so far), and I know anything can happen with injury etc, or I may just get fed up of it!  I was chatting to a 100MC member (Wurzel - Shades and Jelly know him) and he reckons that they soon start mounting up; he did 37 in one year on the way to his 100.  If I keep doing what I'm doing, I suppose there's a chance I could be between 40 and 50 by the end of the next year, but even then 100 is a long way away.  Really, I just want to keep enjoying my running, and aim to keep some consistency and stay injury free.  I do have a lot of interim goals before then - get quicker, specific events I want to do, doubles etc - hence why 100 is not a main goal at the moment.  I suppose I don't want to feel that the marathons become a necessity, or something I don't look forward to to.  Not sure if I am making sense, but I suppose really it's not (currently) about the numbers for me.  A lot of people I have met are mainly interested in the numbers - absolutely nothing wrong with that at all of course, but currently it's not the numbers that are driving me.  Like I say, I suppose that may change if I get past 50.  Don't know.

One thing I have noticed is that when I look at my calendar, there are lots of events pencilled in, and when I see a gap I try and have a quick look to see if there is something I can do to fill it!  There are lots of events around, but obviously logistics/cost comes into it, otherwise I think I'd be doing a few more.  For example, December is currently relatively quiet....  I think if I lived near Kent, I would potentially be doing a few more!
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Wow MF, sounds scary! Glad you are mostly ok, I would definitely take it easy for a week or two if you can though as your body will be recovering.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Glad your ok MF, I cycle to work and some drivers don't look or care, luckily most on quiet/cycle paths. 

Big G totally get it with 100 club, one day I would like to get there but the reason I like Marathon's is I love running and the whole atmosphere and achievement of a race so the longer I get to spend doing the better. Would love to do London again and know my goal to achieve this but also loads of different marathons and half DD I would like to do list is growing. 
  • MF - noooooooo! That sounds really nasty. I assume the driver stopped and was really apologetic? They should pay for a new bike for you too! Rest well, lots of ice and wine must help too. The only consolation is I reckon an ankle injury from something like this should get better faster than an overuse one which takes ages to build up. I’m no doctor, but that’s what I think!

Shades - I think you need to try mindfulness after that call with Sports Shoes! 

Feeling old today. Youngest son has turned 11and I’ve just done his high school entry. And also doing uni form for oldest in same week!
  • Not been able to get out and run much lately mostly due to my days off being cancelled and trying to fit hospital visits in to see my brother-in-law however was able to get out and do a 8 miler in very calm conditions today. Enjoyed it so much that I think I was smiling all the way round it, mind you I did get a couple of funny looks from people I passed right enough. As long as I enjoyed it I don't care how daft I look.
  • MF - That sounds nasty. Hope you are OK.
  • Since my first marathon on Sunday, I have swung from the "Never Again" mindset just after to just looking on the internet for a "Marathon near Me" next week :)
  • LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    This post has been about 2 days in the writing. This week is not going to plan...

John - great race report and very well done in joining the marathon club. It’s addictive! I did my first marathon in about the same time, got the bug and have managed to knock 50 mins off it over the course of about 3 years. I also always feel very sick after the race, I find it very hard to stomach anything for some time. 

Jelly - well done on the pb - it sounds like you really dug deep there towards the end to get that time. 

Steve - great race report - sorry you didn’t get the time you were hoping for but I’m sure you will soon. Was it hillier than Brighton? I can recommend Abingdon if you want a flat fast race. 

Ian - thank you for posting the link- I checked it worked and then had to go out so didn’t get on the thread to say thank you! 

Shades - that’s a fantastic time given you had an injury before you even started the race. Glad to hear it is much better now and that Dublin is looking good. 

SK - if the instructor said you had a problem with speed then there’s no hope for the rest of us!!!!  Well done again on the cabbage patch age category win. Which 10k is it? I am also about to do a secondary school application (but for my oldest, not the youngest). I will be absolutely ancient by the time the youngest gets to that stage. 

Mowzer -  I’m not sure I would have fancied having to navigate through chickens. I hate having to run through pigeons (damn tourists in London feed them - why?) Are you planning on running any races soon or are you going to stick with walking? You must be a very quick walker! Very scary about both lights going at the same time. What a nightmare!

MF - you poor thing! That's awful - I'm very glad you ended up in the grass otherwise it would have been much worse. Please take it easy. I feel I should insert an expletive about French drivers, I hope they stopped! 

Apologies for not catching up completely but I'm never going to post this otherwise. 

Highlights from me: feeling very sluggish, 4 miles this morning (in the pitch black - need to sort the head torch out) and the 2 miles I was supposed to do a marathon pace felt hard. My childcare has fallen apart this week which means that I am juggling as eldest son is already on half term. Not good prep in the week before the marathon. My back is sore but I am hoping that it won't affect me on Sunday. Still have no idea what pace to go for, I think I will play it by ear on the day. 

BigG - would you mind if I send you a Strava request? If I get a chance on Sunday I will try and see if I can find you before the race - you will be able to see a pic of me on my account. My strava account is 

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11835071 

(and anyone else who wants to follow me, please do!)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Shades-That's some marathon list now,lucky Mowzer hasn't done as many as usual.
    Even a couple of months ago I wouldn't have thought about wearing these,but since I got my sub 40 10k,I seem to have changed mentally in terms of thinking I'm half decent now so I can wear very bright shoes  :D
    Belfast-Glad you survived the storm intact,got some family over there and it sounded pretty rough.
    Big G-Great news on the MOT,always a big day as potentially could be nasty.
    SK-Who the hell is your instructor if he says you're too slow?
    Mowzer-Glad you got back ok,must have been very scary.
    Mama-That sounds really bad,glad you are ok as could have been really nasty,must have been terrifying the second before you knew he wasn't stopping.
    John-Don't mean to say told you so but .........  :)
    Louey-New stalker on strava following you.Easy to say from here but try and rest where possible this week.

Had a boring day of xmas planning meetings today,and my foot felt ok,so went for 6 miles after work,slight soreness in the foot still but seem to run through it as long as I take it easy.I have 3 weeks or so until my next half,and after the year I've had I'm not overly bothered how I do so will take it easy until then.

• Louey- another stalker on strava here if you don't mind.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hi Louey, added you :)  I don't know the race at all so can't say where I'll be exactly in terms of a landmark, but I'll be the only one in a Teignbridge Trotters top as looking at the entry list I'm the only club member there (which is unusual, as often we get everywhere!).  Maybe try and take it easy this week, as best you can.  Sorry I cannot remember, but have you done the race before?  I have been looking at the weather forecast and earlier in the week it looked like it was going to be very windy, but I just checked this morning and the forecast seems to have improved.

Nice one John :)

Shades, thanks for the advice about DMV.  Yes, in someways I want to banish those memories of that year with the torrential rain.  I still shudder when I think about it now - and I didn't do another one for 2.5 years after that experience!  I have probably said this here before but I remember going along the top for the second time with no one in sight ahead of me, and no one in sight behind me, knowing I couldn't have been any wetter even if I'd jumped in a pool and thinking "what the f*** am I doing here?".  Unfortunately, at that moment, the only option was to get back to the finish, which was a long way!  It's strange though as at moments on C2S I was totally on my own and thoroughly drenched again, but I loved that race this year!

As you say, I'll just see how I am after Abingdon, and at least I know I can get into DMV if I want to.  As I type this and presuming I continue to recover as well as I have been recently, I think I'll probably do it.  But I won't decide yet.

I went out for a few drinks with a mate last night - it was nothing too bad in terms of booze intake.  Plus I walked in and back, so that was 6-miles walking :)
  • SK - I hope your coach is an olympian if he thinks you have speed issues!!!
    Louey - Just take it easy this week. Looking at my strava it's not as hilly as Brighton. I have Abingdon on the list as a potential one, as I know that is a good fast course.

Another easy 2 mile recovery run today, legs feel OK. So going to attempt to race at the weekend, however forecast is for strong winds, so who knows what pace I'll run at!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    (((mamafox))) - ouch you poor thing,  :'( I hope you heal soon, must have given you an awful fright too.  Let's hope the driver sorts the insurance out quickly so at least you can replace the bike.  Is your foot bruised/strained?

Let me know the name and date of your marathon as I know it's in early November and I'd like to add it to the list.

Seeing that stag so close was certainly worth a bit of pain in the 2nd half, it was a memorable moment.

Big G - it's early days to think about the 100MC and as you say you're not chasing numbers, but the rate you're going the number will soon ramp up.

It's TW that mowzer was talking about that puts on all the events in Kent, I know RK goes to do some of his events but Kent is a pig of drive from here.   Even if I was closer I don't think I'd do many of his as they are mostly off road and multiple laps.   There is a great marathon in Ireland first week in December at Clonakilty ;)

SK - I think it's Sportsshoes that need some training in customer services, my shoes arrived safely yesterday, we now have a different Hermes delivery chap, very pleasant.  But I won't use Sportsshoes again unless I have no choice.   I think Start Fitness is my favourite.

Steven - glad you were able to get out for a good run.  I hope your BiL is recovering?

Since my first marathon on Sunday, I have swung from the "Never Again" mindset just after to just looking on the internet for a "Marathon near Me" next week :)

Yippee, I didn't want to push you John but I'm sure that we were all hoping that you'd start thinking....next time.   If you want any info on other marathons, between us we've probably done most of the road marathons in the UK :D

Louey - good luck at Abingdon.  As usual you are always so busy and so much going on, I don't know how you find time for training.

Do you still see all those turkeys in the first mile of the marathon at Abingdon?    Always used to make me laugh as the runners would shout 'Christmas' at the turkeys and they would make a right racket as all the runners went past.

Ian - if mowzer goes back to all her marathon running I'll need a swish spreadsheet to cope.   I'm loathe to edit the current list as there are PB's on there from very early in the year.

Seems like your foot is healing well.

6 miles for me this morning, hip flexor just a mild dull ache when I started and after that 100% pain free :)   But I have cancelled Pilates as we do a lot of abs stuff and you need strong hip flexors for that and not sure it's quite up to that.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's good that the forecast has improved for Abingdon.

I haven't forgotten that rain at DMV either, I've run many races in awful conditions but never have I experienced rain like that, it came down in sheets and there wasn't a bit of me that wasn't completely soaked, and it happened so quickly, I was the bottom of the hill running through the estate at Chudleigh.

Steve - hope the forecast improves for you and your GF at GSR too.   You've recovered well from your marathon too.

It's so impressive how quickly everyone is recovering now :)

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - lovely full page in last week's MDA about your young fast Trotter, I don't know if you wrote that?   
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Louey all added on Strava 
    if anyone want to follow me.
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/12313003
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Shades-The foot is easing but still being careful.I went to go out this morning for 6 but felt an ache were it hurts so decided not to,2 runs together may be a bit much so will go tomorrow instead.
    Jelly,lousy,Steve all strava'd
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian  - every other day is good injury rehab and enough to stop you going stir crazy too
  • Shades-thanks, yeah the Bil is slowly improving so all good at the moment.

Ian, Jelly- following you on Strava.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Shades, no I didn't write that - I think his Mum & Dad did (his Mum is on the club's committee too, and his Dad is RD of Haytor Heller).  I do know the club has looked at options to support him, but his Dad knows a huge amount of people so was looking for sponsorship as well, hence that article.  Kenya has even been mentioned, but it's by no means a definite at the moment, with no firm plans as far as I am aware.  He certainly knows his stuff about training and he's very disciplined (for example, when he was injured he apparently followed the physio's advice to the letter), but I do think a coach and/or a faster training group would bring him on again.  Interesting and exciting times for him, hopefully!  I don't know him well at all, but he comes across as a really nice chap and he does work extremely hard at his running.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Big G a reporter came to interview him, gave loads of tips to get it in national papers and magazines so fingers crossed. 
  • Louey - Abingdon has come around quickly! I think feeling sluggish is normal in tapering, but I hope the back is OK. Are your family going to support you en route?

Steve - is it the GSR you are planning to race? Do you have a 10M PB already?

Shades - glad the shoes arrived OK. Mine feel smaller than my older pair which is exactly the same, hopefully it’s just because they are new!

My fitness instructor is more experienced with sprinting than longer distances and he’s right that I have no sprinting ability. But I’m not sure that this is something you can improve as it’s largely genetic as opposed to endurance which you can improve on with training.
  • Louey/Jelly - Strava requested from me too.

My eye issue is gone now and other than some dodgy side effects from the pencillam i was on feel fine and also seem to have lost 2 lbs in a week or so too. Prob cos of the pencillam effects that one though as i didn't feel like eating for half the week i was taking them.

Not done much this week but will do something over the weekend in the gales being i'll need to get some sort of longer run fitness sorted for my Jan return to marafunning ;) It is only 13 weeks away after all
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    What Jan marafun have you got planned Keith?
  • One just done the road from you with Davey. Doing his saturday one cos then i can go back to northish devon and have dinner in pub with mother in the evening
  • Jelly - have sent you a follower request?
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    All done, been  Pilates tonight, quads still feeling it. 
  • Didn’t mean to put a question mark there Jelly!

Well done on the Pilates. My legs are feeling it too, after track tonight, but not from running. Stupidly, I wore boots with a heel to work on Tuesday and these boots always make my hamstrings ache for ages after! Should bin them. Grrrrr!