Snowdonia Marathon 2017

Comments

• Good running there Chimney....... my last few long runs have gone really well and am now in taper.

If anyone is interested mileage has gone from  73, 60, 40, probably 35 this week with a final long run of 10-12 miles on Sunday, then 25 next week. Total for year so far is 2051.

Starting to get excited now!
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Cheers Ralph.

As your running tapers, mine is increasing.....

5m off road with one of the dogs this morning, Yesterdays run was curtailed by the other dog who made it very clear she only wanted to amble along and sniff. Running was most definetely not in her plan. So only took the duracell dog today. 120' ascent per mile, and pace at 09:26.

May go out with the club tonight for a jog and a chat.

Got Thoresby 10m trail race on Sunday. Not going to race it (He says so easily now, you just wait until the start.....). Nothing but easy runs between here and next weekend.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hello running eye.  A tent?  Plenty of room in the campsites.  Some local hotels might have last minute cancellations.

Bit behind with these but here's how the pacing might look for a 5:10 finish which is what I'm aiming for.  I can adjust it for any prospective finish time on request.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    1-5         :|    12:00
    6-13       B)   10:50
    14-22     :/   11:40 
    23-24     :'(   16:30
    25-26.2  o:)  11:20

TOTAL  5:09:36
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one tapering on here Ralph.. Everyone else seems to be upping the mileage. lol. Planning on doing a parkrun Saturday. I've always done one the weekend before a marathon and found them to be a good confidence booster. 400's tonight with the club will be my last serious session..

I never know what pace I should be running in this race. Last year I did it by feel and judged it pretty well. I suppose i'll end up doing the same this year too.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

The Single

• brer rabbit
    • Brickhill Runner 
    • Chimney
    • CSMLFC   1st SNOD   3:25
    • dave turner 5   Sub-4
    • Goldeagle
    • Hobie 1495    Sub-4
    • InsideForward
    • jasond2
    • Jimbob987
    • John Bach
    • MadWelshWoman
    • massive
    • Mc Hilly 
    • Mr panad
    • panad
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • Poopster
    • Ralph davies   3:40
    • Reydon Rover
    • Run Jono
    • Sir John a Lot
    • Steve Waygood
    • SwimsL1keaWalrus   1st SNOD
    • Tattooedrunner45
    • The Lazy Greyhound
    • TrailRunner22   Sub-3
    • Ultra Disco Stu
    • Wabo

The Double

• T Rex

• becs
    • Chrissi 
    • BritNick
    • Mokshaeight  

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Sub-4 would look something like this ...

1-5             9:15
    6-13       B    8:25
    14-22         9:00 
    23-24       12:45
    25-26.2  o    8:45

TOTAL  3:59:20
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    And sub-3 ...

1-5             7:10
    6-13       B    6:10
    14-22         6:45 
    23-24         9:45
    25-26.2  o    6:30

TOTAL   2:59:43
  • After a bit of uncertainty of late re toeing the start line, having struggled to get used to running without orthotics, I'm running relatively comfortably again and whilst I haven't done anywhere near the amount of training I'd have liked to have done I'm now looking forward to  the 28th. If it had been any other marathon/event I'd give it a miss!!

Re the sub 3 breakdown, based on past experiences I'd say that is pretty much spot on as averages for each of those sections although, of course, the mile splits within those sections will vary (by as much as 2 minutes I'd say). When going for it in the past I'd always have set target time for a few parts of the course

• That's great news John! Really pleased for you.
    TR22- Yep, tapering the name of the game, better to be slightly undercooked than burn't round the edges..... Ultra runner tapering....... i am not qualified to comment...... :)

Those pacing tables are very useful trex, good job with them. I will be running by heart rate on the day. For my last marathon in April  (manchester) my average heart rate was 162 for a 3.18 finish time.

Looking at my predicted time Trex of 3.40 i am pretty confident that the goalposts have moved, gulp..... and i might regret this i reckon that sub 3.30 is a very achievable target now.  Got a pacing table for 3.30 and 3.15?
    cheers

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

OK ...

1-5             8:10
    6-13       B    7:20
    14-22         7:50 
    23-24         11:10
    25-26.2  o     7:45

TOTAL  3:29:23

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    You thinking about 3:15??

1-5             7:30
    6-13       B    6:50
    14-22         7:20 
    23-24        10:20
    25-26.2  o     7:15

TOTAL  3:14:47

• I will just be happy to make it to the finish line...fighting the lurgy again
  • I am looking for a space in Snowdonia Marathon if anyone has one that they cannot use.
  • Great work trex! Thanks so much for them.  As for 3.15...... my heart rate numbers at 7.23 pace are telling me it could be achievable on the flat, around 148. But I have not factored in the inclines, wind and rain!!! Which obviously bump up the numbers.  Probably somewhere in the middle, maybe 3.23  :)
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I've factored in quite slow hill climbing, so if folks can belt up Waun Fawr at 8:30 miling then there's a few more minutes saved.

Not liking the weather forecast for Saturday night.  By the looks of it I will be in the dark, rain, and 50 mph gusts up on The North Wessex Downs.  At least there won't be a high tide problem.  I hope not anyway.
  • InsideForwardInsideForward ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    T Rex said:
    And sub-3 ...

1-5             7:10
    6-13       B    6:10
    14-22         6:45 
    23-24         9:45
    25-26.2  o    6:30

TOTAL   2:59:43
  • InsideForwardInsideForward ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    T Rex said:
    Sub-4 would look something like this ...

1-5             9:15
    6-13       B    8:25
    14-22         9:00 
    23-24       12:45
    25-26.2  o    8:45

TOTAL  3:59:20
    Spot on T-Rex. This is my 3:56 from 2014:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/621206130

Chimney was faster by about 20 seconds as I recall with a spectacular sprint finish down the high street.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    wow TREX, sorry I've been awol and missed the rest of your brilliant but scary tale!!! I do not know how you did that, although I know it's what us runners do.  Mental eh.  Amazing too.
    my last attempt at any sort of long run ended at 10 miles on Sunday just gone.  It felt rubbish. Visited Queen of Pain on Monday to be told my legs were so tight (boy did I know it).
    So I have eased right off now, feel strangely excited and in a good place about SNOD....
    I'll get round basically!
    Running eye, can't help sorry but glad you are running!
    Great training all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Hopefully your run this weekend is a little less eventful Trex! Interesting split times. Will bear them in mind although I always forget to look at my watch during the race I'm usually suffering too much! 

Not planning too much more now. A few plods next week and that'll be me done. 

Race numbers are up on the start list page. 1152 for me...

• Anyone still looking for accommodation? A friend has a twin room available at the Garddfon Inn for Fri / Sat nights at £140 in total. If interested please message me and I can sort out arrangements.
  • Back for another crack at this after first having a go in 2015. Finished in 04:08 then but limited training this time means I'll be happy to get round in sub 5 hours. I'm going for 'I'm well rested' positivity. Nice to see some familiar posters from the 2015 group.
  • I'm getting really nervous, I know I'm going to be slow and will have to walk a fair bit..hope I don't get lost!
  • Good evening Snodders! 9 more sleeps until the best marathon in the world!  Sorry not to have popped in earlier but have read all the posts since I was last on. TRex...mental and brill story, as ever! John Bach-you will storm it as usual! Great to see everyone is getting ship-shape and fabulous to see new names on the forum. Madwelshwoman..you wont get lost and most will walk a bit. Dont stress, just enjoy!!
    My last training run is on Sunday at Chelmsford marathon, it will be the 59th marathon of 2017 so Snod will be number 60. It has been a challenge to maintain this level of marathon running this year due to new job etc but it has been ace. I am a bit jaded though so not declaring a target time :) 
    Enjoy taper, running or ultra this weekend....the mighty one calls xxx
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Cheers T Red but I'm not going for a particular time now! Anything aroind 3.30 would be brilliant but for a first attempt I don't think it's wise to aim for a certain time! Main objective is to enjoy the day and get around in one piece!
  • " belting up waunfawr at 8.30"..... I think I might need some assistance with that one........ Best of luck with your parkrun TRex.   100 mile taper, don't think it will catch on. :)
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    mww you won't get lost, I'll be behind you I bet!! 
    I'm feeling strangely excited......
    Legs have got so much better for only doing short stuff!
    Have a good weekend
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Andrew Thompson I know of a space but I'm sure we can't transfer now
  • Once again I'm happy to say I'll be available for pre-start and post-finish hugs! (especially if you all return the questionnaire I sent out! ;-) )
  • Good to hear from you Brer. 58 marathons in the bag this year already!!! TRex you have competition for the forum's most hard core member this year!

First week of taper done which almost ended in disaster when I tripped up some steps about 2 mins from finishing this morning's 7 miler. Months of training flashed before my eyes but think all intact despite not bouncing so well these days. That's pretty much my running done till next weekend for me - lightweight I know! Hoping to dip under 3.40 but the legs aren't getting any younger.

Good luck TR and Brer with your final LONG runs this weekend. Stay healthy all.