Snowdonia Marathon 2017

Comments

• John Bach said:
    I live just over half an hour away and for me the Snowdonia marathon is one time in the year when I'm let out!! I personally like to get there around 8.45 - no issue at that time re parking (I always make sure I've got plenty of change) - I like to have a wander, speak to people I tend to only see each year at the race and generally chill out/take in the atmosphere
    Thanks John, will be arriving just after 8 as the family will be having brekkie before going on the train to the summit. All the best for Saturday, can't wait to take it all in again.
  • Hi everyone. I have a place available for the Snowdonia Marathon on Sunday. My knee has been playing up recently so I've decided to give it a miss. If anyone is interested, send me an email. £25.

Regards

Rhodri
  • Oops. Saturday, not Sunday!

Rhodri
  •   (UDS, your number is 262 ;-) )

Thanks FOOW :-) same as my mobile number! That is surely the coolest marathon number 262 = 26.2! Perhaps it's a wind up. Have to go and check now! 
  • Wow it actually is 262! Its the small things in life that bring the biggest smile :-D
  • Currently fighting another cold, really hope it doesn't take hold before Saturday!
    I am staying in Caernarfon on Friday night, I don't know the area at all. Where would be the best place to head for to park on Saturday morning?
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Glad you asked that MadWelshWoman! We're caravanning this week in the Loggerheads area but the wife and I are leaving the kids with grandparents and also staying in Caernarfon on Friday. I've not looked at road closures yet but was wondering what time we would have to set off on Saturday.
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    MWW- there is a huge pay and display car park next to Llyn Padarn - and next to registration. Make sure you get a ticket though - traffic wardens are super keen, I hear...
  • Thanks Jadsond2, I will investigate tomorrow. Still have the lurgy :(
  • Closure signs gone up in Waunfawr.. It's getting close to the big day. Last 24 mile training run done yesterday along the Menai Straits :) 
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see the taper is going well, BR  :D
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    did a mile streak saver this morning, knee hurt left achilles hurt, taper madness in full flow!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • What is the meaning of this word taper? I have another marathon on Monday!! 
  • Dreaded cold seems to have hit me!  Will have to get dosed up, glad it's not today.  Just looking at times and guess the years are taking it's toll, 5:10 for me I think
  • Great tapering Brer. You off for the Nov Nightmare on Monday?

TRex, do you know your quarter way breakfast order and time you would like it served?

• Yep, Nov nightmare on way home from Waunfawr. 
  • Up and down the river on Monday isn't it? Enjoy, sadly I can't do any of the days this year due to work but will be on the banks of the Severn for the Sunset to Sunrise.
  • Don't think I can do that one LG. Right, I'm off to Snowdonia Parc pub for a carb load :) 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    brer lol I know some of you don't I have because my legs were so tight a week or so ago. I hate it though my legs and everything ache more when I do little!!!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Hi everyone. I have a place available for the Snowdonia Marathon on Sunday. My knee has been playing up recently so I've decided to give it a miss. If anyone is interested, send me an email. £25.

Regards

Rhodri
    Afraid the deadline for swapping places was end of September Rhodri - the organisers don't allow transfers after that.
  • Anyone calling at Yr Pantry tomorrow evening? 
  • I'm planning to eat at Y Pantri tomorrow, if travel goes to plan I'll be in there around 6:30pm
  • Yeah, see you there. I'll have a blue 100 marathon Club hoody on and will be drinking vast amounts of caffeine :) 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Autumn 100, 21 Oct

Not too  much to report, nor is there time to, but I expect some of you will find the manner of my arrival at the start line mildly entertaining.

I was brilliantly organised for this, arriving at the railway station 20 minutes before my 0632 departure for Goring, with changes at Gloucester and Didcot.  I was getting ready to just chill out on the train.  But it was not to be.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Couldn't find my train on the board, and then I saw it - 'cancelled'.  Now what?  No-one to ask, no information, and no replacement bus.

But there was a replacement bus just about to go, heading for Bristol Parkway.  That's on the way to Didcot and Reading, isn't it?  I got on.

But when I got to Bristol Parkway there were no eastbound trains.  Onward travel would need to be via Bristol Temple Meads (city centre).  The next train there was in an hour.  I didn't have an hour.

I prevailed on a taxi driver to get me to Bristol Temple Meads as fast as possible and reluctantly forked out the requested £22.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    There was a train to Didcot, but arriving only two minutes before my scheduled departure from Didcot.  It would be touch and go.

It didn't touch or go.  This train was going slowly because of Moderate Breeze Brian.

I missed the connection.  The next train was in half an hour. Not another taxi, surely?  I found out it was a 30-40 minute journey, as against a 30-minute wait and an 11-minute journey by train.

I waited.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    The train finally left after some delay at 0934, twenty-six minutes before the start of the race and four minutes after registration closed.  I had texted ahead but had no reply.

Got to Goring at 0945.  It was mrs T Rex's idea to use a travel bag with wheels and telescopic handle for all my re-supply gear, which was heavy (6 litres of water and drinks, three pairs of shoes, etc etc ...), and I was very glad of it.  Dragging this bag I sprinted down the middle of Goring High Street - cars had to wait - and arrived at the venue, the Village Hall, just as the runners were trooping off to the start line.

No time for style, I just ran in, breathing heavily.  It was 0953.  The lady at the desk said I had left this rather late and made other obvious comments such as the race was starting in 7 minutes and it was about 600m to the start line.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Fortunately I had got race ready during that 11-minute train journey and just had to give the bag in and take my number and pins and dash for the door ...

'Wait a minute!  Compulsory kit check!'

Oh no.  Was there time?  The random items chosen to be presented were: my two headtorches, gloves, and waterproof jacket.  They were all in separate dry bags. They would be.  An ecstasy of fumbling, and eventually got the job done and out into the street.  Soon caught up with the backmarkers walking to the start, just had time to pin my number on, and then the claxon went and off we all went on our 100-mile journey.

At last I could relax.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    By mile 80 I was far from relaxed.  I was exhausted.  The first 25 miles had been hard - I felt heavy and couldn't get into any rhythm.  The second 25 were idyllic, traversing woods and fields, and a golf course in dappled sunlight.  The third 25 were a nightmare.  All through the night battling Strong Breeze Brian,mud, and rutted paths on the North Wessex Downs.

I started the last 25 optimistically enough and by mile 80 the sun was rising over a misty scene on the River Thames with flocks of geese flying low over the water.  But then it got difficult.  My original target was 26 hours and I had been more or less in touch with this throughout, but now time was vanishing into thin air.  It was all about forcing yourself along at a constant 3.5 mph ultra shuffle.  Got to the turnaround point (mile 87.5) at Reading and headed for home.  I was at the back of the field 178th.  There had been over 60 retirements/runners timed out, most of them behind me, and now I was at the back.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    With 3 miles to go I found some energy from somewhere and pushed the pace, overtaking three runners before the finish!

And for me a reasonable finish, 27h36, 24 minutes before the cut-off, and a 100-mile PB by 2 hours and 11 minutes!!  It's not every day you knock over 2 hours off your PB.

Another excellent T-shirt.