Snowdonia Marathon 2018

Camaraderie Rules

Let the games begin (again) ...

Can anyone confirm whether entries for 2018 will open on 1 December 2017? I heard on the grapevine it might not be the usual NYE rush! 

Comments

• jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    I heard the same in my hotel today. But in all honesty- who cares? Dozens and dozens of entries from August on- so not going to be swept up in the hype either way ??
    i have my room booked- accommodation is what is in short supply- not entries ?
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    RW need to up their game! Their platform is awful! It is like something from the 1990s ?????
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Hiya. Just planting my flag.  :)
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • TrailRunner22TrailRunner22 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Put me down for the single... ?  Can't wait....December the 1st could be potentially very expensive! Theres a few races with entries opening that date which all fill up rapidly. Will have to hide the bank statement from the boss. 
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    After a fab race on Saturday who knows if I’ll join you all again next year - I had planned not to return after a few years of feeling pretty lousy and not particularly enjoying running more than 4-5 miles, but.... I far surpassed any expectations at the weekend, took an hour off my last time (2yrs ago) and was within 45secs of my pb from 4years ago AND probably more importantly felt really strong all the way around and really enjoyed it, so what to do? 

(Almost definitely see how running goes and pick up a place next summer if I’m still in a good place, as JD says there won’t be a shortage, I’ll be there supporting if I’m not running)

• Can anyone confirm whether entries for 2018 will open on 1 December 2017? 
    Yes UDS, Snowdonia marathon are confirming it on their FB page so it must be true.

Sorry I missed you finishing this time, and missed such a fab moment for your boy too  :)
  • I would love to do it out again next year, will try my best to get in. Think I might have some sort of special code for taking part in the cold study. Legs really aching today, looking at Garmin data last 0.2 mile pace was 5.50 and previous mile was 6.59 felt totally out of control coming into llanberis! No wonder legs are shot.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    checking in, here we go again...
    my accommodation is booked as well
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Yes ever so sorry missed you at the finish FOOW. I missed your hug! Too caught up in the emotion of the moment with my boy. I really did enjoy it this year. 

• Hehe Ralph, I did the same on the descent. My pace overall was 9:06 but mile 26 was 7:00. Felt like a maniac but didn’t care. Must have overtook 30-40 other runners on way down.

I blame the flat Coca Cola I supped on the way up the last hill. Amazing stuff.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    panad - and you very nearly caught Mr panad after letting him get a good head start!  Seems to me you're getting competitive ...
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I will be doing The Single.  If I do do a double it will be with Dublin marathon next day ..
  • Double or Treble next year T Rex?? Looking for places to stay.. Just out of curiosity what is the SNOD House? Keep seeing it mentioned....but never really understood what it is...
  • Inside forward- felt like a maniac  :D .  I think I passed about 10 on the descent, dog walkers and someone screaming behind me " be careful it's slippery " I think it was another female runner who was trying to reassure herself! Have to say it was the biggest buzz I have had in running. Quads are shattered, been carrying my 2 1/2 year old round today after he puked up round swallow falls, feel wiped out... Forgot to say tr22.... Amazing time and very well done.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    TR22  - it's a house in Llanberis High St that some of us have stayed in for the last few years.  We're not sure it's available next year though.  I think all the 'regulars' are going to be doing their own things.  UDS has been organising it excellently up until now.
  • Tr22- watching you on S4c just ahead of Hayley nunn on the climb out of waunfawr,  recognized that look of pain on your face :)
  • TrailRunner22TrailRunner22 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Ah. OK..sounds good T Rex. I always bring the whole family along and we stay in Porthmadog. Been looking at somewhere a bit closer though as it's a 45 minute drive a an early start on race day.

Cheers Ralph.. That grimace was put on for the cameras obviously.. Wanted it to look good for tv.. :smiley: ..ran from about 12 miles with Hayley. On the final climb she said she felt dizzy and wasn't feeling good and did really well to hold it together. 
  • I was looking at the results last night - you ran a very good race TR22, coming through the field - I'm sure with another good block of training next year and setting out a bit quicker with some of the front runners you'll bag the 2.50. Running with the lead ladies always gets you a bit of TV time - I found that out when pacing Ru back in 2009. My only appearance on the coverage was going through Beddgelert and I'm in the background as the camera focuses on the then 3rd lady
  • Re accommodation, I know the owners of the Tyn y Coed Hotel in Capel Curig and the infamous Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel - I'd recommend either. Even if you don't stay there, I'd recommend popping in to the PyG (particularly if you are interested in mountaineering/Everest) - there's loads of Everest expedition memorabilia in the bar area
  • A 2.50 would be fairly amazing John.. I'm not sure if I set out too slowly. I managed to put in a real sprint finish at the end which makes me think I maybe had a fair bit left... But how much I guess I'll never know.... Knowing I have that final hill at 22 miles I don't know if I'm always sub consciously holding something back for it.

I'll have a look into those hotels too John. Cheers for that.
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    The Celtic Royal in Caenarfon was a great find. Pleasant sauna, steam room, pool and Jacuzzi and nice dining areas too. Opposite to a large Asda for supplies and a bus stop directly outside which takes you to Llanberis in 25 minutes (7 miles). Free parking if needs be too. 
  • Great time you did John considering your training didn't go as planned. You must have a very strong base. I am going to aim for sub 3.20 next year ( lf I get in) need to do some hill training though, I did none and struggled on them. No hills where I live though so either treadmill or travel.
  • If anyone is looking for self-catering group/family accommodation, there is a holiday park in Caeathro that usually has chalets available for hire this time of year - Glan Gwna Holiday Park. It's only a 15-20 minute drive to Llanberis. I've seen some listed on AirBnB.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    glad i'm not the only one with shattered quads... ralph!
    what advice do you guys have for parking on the morning as I couldn't get into Royal Victoria, already booked. So at the moment its caenarfon
  • I'm usually there with the TV crew about 8am and there are plenty of spaces in the pay-and-display car parks on the left as you get into Llanberis from Caernarfon, so you're probably likely to find a space up to 8.45/9am ish, but obviously the earlier the better. Was chatting to the guy on the car park opposite the mountain railway station this year and he said that one had filled faster than usual this year (it was full by 9.30am). 
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    We got a great spec in the big pay and display near the lake railway. From Caernarfon go past electric mountain and left before the big Snowdon Car park (which was £8). It was a few hundred yards up on the left, we were the first there at 0830 and it was only £4.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I know the one CSMLFC, thanks and thank FOOW! Sounds perfect. Can't believe I already know I want to do it again, oh hang on though yes I do! Quads are still sore though..
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I stayed in a cabin at Glan Gwna this July for Snowdonia trail marathon, and can recommend it.  Thinking of it myself for 2018.  I could perhaps find a nice off-road route to run to the start from there.
  • Anybody else still suffering with their quads?? Lol!

I managed to get parking at my hotel. I would definitely advise missing the Snowdonia Railway car park- the village car park next to the lake is much cheaper.

Glad to hear that I won’t be caught out by going to bed early on NYE this year! ?
  • I went out for my 1st post race run yesterday whilst my son was having a driving lesson - it was meant to be a gentle 45 minutes, but a navigation mistake resulted in me running 14 miles including the last few miles a LOT quicker than planned to get back in time! At least it showed my legs are OK after Saturday!?

I always park in the car park just down from the Victoria Hotel car park (left after the bus stop/before the VH car park) - it costs £4 for the day and if you get there before 9am there's plenty of spaces - an hour before race start it is usually full. I always have a little lie down in the river when walking back to the car after the race - better than any ice bath!?