ABP Newport Wales Marathon 2018

Thought I'd pop a thread up as there seem to be a couple of older ones from when the Cardiff marathon was mooted and cancelled.

Anyway, the two big bits of news (this may be a lie) - I'm in, and less excitingly, the course has been published: http://newportwalesmarathon.co.uk/course/

Anyone know the area well enough to comment? Not that should stop a good forum generating opinions in any way!

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Thanks for starting the thread, Smitters.  Makes sense posting here rather than on a thread for a marathon that doesn't exist!  And thanks for the link to the route which I hadn't seen yet.

I live five miles from the race start.  I would say there is a distinct lack of hills on this course. Much of it on quiet rural lanes.  I wonder if there are going to be road closures?

Miles 23-25 are in a rather dull industrial area but do allow you to get close and personal with the transporter bridge.

Crossing the SDR Bridge at miles 1 and 25 can be exposed and windy.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Smitters - Glad that you've started a new thread for this race :)   So far I'm impressed with the race info.

T- Rex - quiet rural lanes sounds lovely to me.   

We might find it a bit flat, I'm doing Connemara Ultra the weekend before too, see you there. 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Shades - yes, I usually go over to Galway every April, but not planning to in 2018.  Mainly to do with a general lack of £££.  Doing Llanelli (the so-called 'Great Welsh', but there's only one marathon I would consider with that title, and it's not that one - nor this one for that matter).

I'm impressed Newport has somehow managed to attract over 3000 entries already.  Better get entering myself if there's a 5000 limit.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    T-Rex - I'll see you at Great Welsh and then Newport then.   I'm quite excited about doing Connemara again.   I assume you mean Snowdonia should have the title of GW :)
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Quite right.  It is unequalled.  I don't think I've ever seen you there, have I, Shades?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    T-Rex - I've done Snowdonia  six times.  But now that they've put in more off road into the event it's off my list, I hate off road but was able to tolerate the bit in the final stages.  It also clashes with Dublin which is where I usually am that weekend.  Llanberis is also a pig of a drive from here in Devon.  But I have fond memories of the race.
  • Hi. I signed up for it on a whim last week. New to triathlon last year (sprint) ! Building up to iron distance I hope (rather be iron woman than iron lady though). So I will be glad if it's not too hilly!
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Hello! Good to see a familiar 'face' here, T Rex! I too have entered this one as part of my (prolonged) return to decent running. Following P&D 18 week plan, but it will be 17 in my case as I started a week late. Always think a 3 week taper is too long personally anyway. 

Another vote for Snowdonia as the true 'Great Welsh' from me!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    By way of build up races I'm doing Newport half in March, also a 20 - looking at the San Domenico 20 but it seems a more boring two-lap course than it used to be.  Does anyone know any other early Spring 20 milers?  And no, I don't want to do Gloucester - did it in 2017 and found it dull in the extreme.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hey, jasond2 - well done on being promoted to Level 3 yesterday.
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    T Rex- level 3? What does that even mean- lol! Rhayader 20 is in early March
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    It means you now have three stars!

Rhayader the day before Newport half - but I'm trying to do sensible marathon training (for once).
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    17m planned here this morning - and there's no ice!  :)
    what's everyone else got planned training/ racing - wise?
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I'm doing a 17 every Friday, but not much else at the moment.  Got a serious knee problem that isn't clearing up which is hampering my training.  I think it's in the quads where they attach to the outside edge of the knee - that's where the pain is anyway.  Don't think it's ITB but it might be.  Going to have to get help with it.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    My build up to this event will be the Newport half and San Domenico 20.
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hi everyone...  I'm in on this one too. Local.  Hopefully flat (has anyone seen an evaluation of the total climb over the 26 miles?)  If you're desperately chasing a time, that SDR bridge will feel like a big hill after 25 miles!  

Good luck with the knee T-rex...  oh, and shades... Hi.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hi NorthEnder - I think we had an email about the course but I don't remember if there was a total climb mentioned.   

T-Rex says it's flat, and I trust him :)
  • Hi Everyone - I've entered this one with the aim of getting 'good for age' (sub 3:15) to qualify for London 2019....tired of the annual rejections from the ballot.

I did 3:25 at Brighton last year so I'm optimistic. Looking forward to sharing mine and seeing other training journeys.

:-)
  • Hi runninggas.  As has been said, this should be a flat one (will be really interested to see how it compares to Manchester)...  so I reckon that you will immediately gain a couple of minutes compared to Brighton.  Good luck with the training.   I'm also targeting GFA (3.20) - I've been sort of working towards Spring 2018 for 15 months and have built a reasonable base, but I'll need life to be kind, and to have a perfect next 14 wks.  My gut feel is that I'll be close but no cigar but I'm giving it a fair crack!

• NorthEnder - flat is good!! Brighton was freakishly hot so with a bit of luck the weather may shave more minutes off. Had a slew of PB's the past few months Half - 1:32, 10k - 40:00, 5k - 19:38(parkrun, not a fast course) so those indicators would suggest I have a good chance. Just got to stay injury free and get the training done. A few of us are doing Valencia Half in March as prep.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    I'm in. Plan is to do Manchester 3 weeks before and then I will be able to judge which of the two is flattest! 
  • Ok, got hit hard hard by the flu over the past week and not run for 7 days, was in bed for 6 days straight! Slowly starting to feel better but don't think I'll be ready to get back on the plan for a few days yet. Will still have 12 weeks till race day so hoping the good aerobic base I built over Oct-Jan stand me in good stead!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Entries closed now.  6500 have been received which will make this one of the country's biggest marathons.  I'm surprised it's proved so attractive!!  It's going to be a good day out I think.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    T-Rex  -I guess it's a good alternative to London, flat and fast course and Newport is accessible.   I hope they've got the logistics in place for car parking etc.

RunningGas - don't rush back into training too soon, it can take quite a while to get over flu.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    We need to get ready for the big climb at mile 9 ...
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Blimey that is a big climb at 9! Or so it looks at first glance on that chart...
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    But in actual fact it's only 10 metres.  People clear 6m in the pole vault, not that I'm recommending lugging one of those poles around the course.
  • Ha ha.  That must be flatter than Manchester. Isn't it?

Where did the graphic come from T Rex?  Official site?