The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• With two 10.48 miler recovery runs and a 10.20 miles including Parkrun this morning my
    YTD = 2462.88 miles in 300 days since 1 January
  • 1033 miles YTD

Fantastic Snowdonia Marathon Eryri yesterday. Arrived feeling pretty good with my planning, only a slight worry that 700 miles logged on shoes might leave them not in peak condition for the scary off road downhill at mile 25.
    I know the wisdom is that you don't use new kit on race day but a new pair of Brooks Ghost 10 at race day price needed to be done, but I can report that it's fine...I took 16 minutes off my PB at Snowdonia doing it in 3hr 56mins 45secs.

As always a spectacular event, brilliantly organised and with the best supporters & marshals. 
  • Wotcha peeps.

Loving your double figures "recovery" runs Harmander... LOL! Further than a lot of people would run on a training run :lol: Will you do an average miles per hour (and per day) at the end of the year like you've done in the past?

Fantastic run by you, Hobie, on what I've heard is a really tough course! An amazing improvement in you course PB and very impressed that you dipped under 4:00 hours - well done :smiley:

I'm late logging again - ran a very delayed run last night (literally, I went out at about 21:45 and got back at about 23:00). Was intending to do 10 miles or so but, for some reason, went out without my gloves and my hands were in agony with the icy cold - so much so that I had to call it quits at just over 8 miles and head home. Ended up totalling 8.11 miles. No run today - Pilates this evening.

YTD: 986.72 miles.

• Little Nell,

Yes of course I will.
    With a 16.94 mile LSR yesterday and no run today I have fallen behind my average distance per day to reach 3000 by year end. May do Dymchurch (Grimchurch) marathon on 23 December to sort that out.
    YTD = 2479.82 miles (3990.890 km)
  • Morning all,

So I was out with the other half & kids at LEGOLAND yesterday as it was an inset day, hence the late post.
    Some fabulous running and totals being logged, well done everyone.
    1992km, Congratulations on getting over the 1000 mile mark.
    Smudgerncfc, Thanks for posting all your pic's, some great runs, well done.
    Andrew, Great parkrun, that's a cracking time.
    Nell, The temperature is really dropping now, best to wrap up warm. Glad you enjoyed the 10K Trail run and you are so close to the 1000 mark now.
    Harmander, Glad to here you had fun in Toronto well done on the pacing, and as you have already said what a bargain, I do love Canada and use to do three visits a year for the skiing, hopefully once the kids are a bit older I maybe able to return.
    Hobbie, 16 minutes off the PB and on that course, you must be related to Superman! well done, great effort.

For me last week was a nice friendly Phoenix run in Cheam nr Sutton at Nonsuch park, it was again a multilap event with each lap being around 5.3K, so 8 laps for a marathon, we had a lovely day for it with bright sunshine, the course was 50% Trail and 50% paths, the trail was quite muddy in places though, I  managed to get round in 4.18.16 so very pleased with that considering the conditions.
    Nell/Donnie, I find the multilap events suite me as I can pace myself fairly well i.e. for this one around 30 minutes a lap, I managed 6 laps at this pace, however the last 2 were slower!
    Finally Nell, in answer to your question about two marathons in 6 days, I was also quite nervous about this, however it was fine, I can honestly say I don't think I suffered as a result, so shall we try 3 ;)

Stats for last week.

24.10.17 - 3.12
    27.10.17 - 26.2

YTD = 1034.63

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Great running all round. 

Harmander, Hobbie and Dave: Loved hearing about your recent marathon experiences. Genuinely interesting and motivational.

78.3 for October which included my annual marathon. 820.7 YTD, barring injury I should get there.

This thread is a great help, without your online company I'd almost certainly fall short. As I'm not part of a running club, so this is my only running chatter. I do value posters stories and experiences. 

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Thanks David!

5 miles tonight, so actually snuck up to 81 miles in October and am now on 745 YTD (only 9 miles behind last year’s total too!).
  • 'ello, 'ello, 'ello... what's goin' on 'ere then!?

Ooo - a bit of jeopardy for you Harmander... will you make 3x the general thread target...??? I'm shattered just thinking about it!

David - another fantastic, multi-lap marathon clocked up by you there. It's good to hear you have no ill effects - I really hope I can be as successful as you've been with your back-to-back marathons. Well done!

Very nice monthly total for you there, Donnie :smile: I think you can do it... my mileage spreadsheet (one of many that contain mileage info. actually) says you needed to have done 827 miles by last Sunday (29th) - so you're reeeeeeeally close.

Was supposed to be a double day for me but I arrived home after work with 10 mins. to turn myself around and head out again to the track and found I only had one working headlight on my car... so track reps had to be replaced with a trip to Halfords :unamused: Did run at lunchtime though - 4.77 miles at the pointy end of steady running.

YTD: 991.49 miles. (!)

• Cross post Andrew... your October total is a stonking one too - well done! :smile:
  • Yes great running everyone.
    Little Nell, really cold this evening, just warmed up after 18.84 miles in just under 3 and half hours on old hill course - wore gloves and long bottoms for the first time. Will need to do 8.22 miles a day for two months to reach 3000. Let's see.
    YTD = 2498.67 miles
  • Seems I took my foot off the gas a bit mileage wise in October, but I did manage the 10 minute PB improvement for a 3:18 marathon in Melbourne and a pretty safe qualifier for Boston 2019!

Since then of course I've relaxed completely and felt the need to rest. Its going to be hard to get going again now as the temperature and humidity seems to have ratcheted up and the usual summer struggle to get out is going to kick in (about 26C and 80% this morning)

Anyway: 136.3km (85 miles) done in October
    YTD: 2474.5km (1538 miles)

I'll probably just squeak over last years total of 2726km if I can just keep ticking over in the heat until year end.

• Nearly there Little Nell, great work.

DadAgain, much as I sympathise with the tough temperatures you're suffering, I kind of enjoy the chilly weather we have here in the UK this week. Snowdonia was typical North Wales (wet & drizzly). Last night was first post marathon club run & supposed to be a gentle one...but typically we pushed it a bit as hills felt kind of easy. Stunning night with clear sky & moon reflecting on the river. great mileage by the way :-). 

1043 miles YTD

• Hello, good evening and welcome!

Harmander - a mere 8.22 miles a day... you'll do that easily :smiley:

Nice to see you again DadAgain! Fantastic marathon PB - really well done... and you're amassing an excellent total - I'm guessing you're in second place behind Harmander.

Thanks Hobie - I'll break through the 1000 barrier in my 10K race on Saturday morning, which is nice because last I reached the mark during Conwy Half (that I'm doing in two week's time) - so I'm a couple of weeks ahead of last year. The moonlit club run sounds really good... sounds like you've recovered well after Snowdonia.

I managed to make up my missed daily double today - did another lunchtime run with my work colleague and made it to the club track session tonight too. Tried a new route at lunchtime that came up a bit short, so we ended up with 4.66 easy miles. Track session was 15 x 60 seconds with 60 seconds recoveries... totalling 5.43 miles incl. w/u and c/d making the day's total mileage 10.09 miles.

YTD: 1001.58 miles ... holy carp - I've cracked the barrier ahead of expected schedule!!! :astonished: wooo hooo - I didn't even notice... I was probably half way through a track lap :smiley:

• Well done Nell, nice surprise 1000 mile & still 2 months of the year to go.
  • Well done Nell, so that would be 2 weeks 2 days ahead of last year :)
  • Yes, well done Nell! A great effort :-)

I did another 3.5 miles last night and as up to 748.5 YTD now. Only 5.5 miles behind last year's total, so I am planning to go through that barrier during my long run on Sunday. All being well, I still hope to get through 900 by the end of the year.

• Evenin' mi amigos!

Thanks for the good wishes everyone - much appreciated :smile:David - can't fault you on the maths/calendar reading... you are, indeed, correct: 2 weeks and 2 days up on last year. I'll have to extend the y-axis on my spreadsheet mileage graph.

Hope you do a little celebration when you overtake yourself Andrew... no one will wonder what the crazy man is doing - no, not at all! :lol:

Ran the Cheshire 10K at Arley Hall this morning. First time doing this race for me - I bought the place off my running work colleague's girlfriend as a favour for him helping me out buying a place off me earlier in the Summer. A really nice event - excellent, flat, PB potential course... but, sadly, no PB for me - my work colleague did PB though, dipping below 40 mins for the first time. Total distance was 6.28 miles with some brief nurdling about at the start for a w/u.

YTD: 1007.86 miles.

• 7 mile run this morning, takes me past last year’s total and up to 760 YTD!
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    A fraught couple of weeks for me with an inundation of family, lovely though that is, the selfish runner in me has been well miffed. No runs at all for 10 days and then, after they left, a farewell gift of a snotty nose and sore froat!!!!

But managed to get out for the Billericay 10K this morning and surprised my self with a 48, so all my forboding, thoughts of a DNS, were just post traumatic stress overload,  :*

YTD:  998.51M, so close I can smell the coconut!
  • Nearly there SenidM, chase Little Nell (well done there too).
    With a 10.48 miles on Thursday, the Thames Meander Marathon yesterday followed by another 10.48 miles this morning making 
    YTD = 2545.85 miles.
    There was high tide again during the race which meant wading in knee deep of cold Thames water three times along the course (for nearly 200m) with 6 miles from the finish - managed 5:31:10 while helping a guy who was running his first marathon after overcoming a life threatening illness (yes the big C) - he will be entering our club's challenge event on 17 December ( www.sikhsinthecity.org ) to see how far he can go. 

• Howdy pardners.

Well done on passing your last year's total Andrew - onward and upward... who knows where you could finish this year!

Welcome back to running senidM - your enforced rest from running (although not rest in general life, from the sounds of it!) might have been what you needed to post a pleasing time - well done... less than a minute slower than I ran yesterday :smile: Every chance you will still overtake me by the end of the year as you're only a few miles behind me...

Thanks, Harmander. Fantastic running by you, as ever. Very well done on the Thames run/wade :lol: And well done on supporting your cancer survivor friend in his first marathon - an amazing achievement!

A nice, easy recovery run for me today in the late afternoon/early evening... started in the light and finished in the dark. Was a first outing for the gloves today (after last week's having to cut the run short due to frozen fingers). An entertaining part trail part road 8.08 miles in total.

YTD: 1015.94 miles.

• Well done Nell and a slightly early well done to SenidM!

Harmander: Another marathon, I appreciate you're running 'within' yourself, but huge admiration from me for the mental effort as much as the physical.

Post my early October Marathon I've been disrupted by a bit of a cold, a week on holiday and a bit of family stuff. Back to it now. Have entered a couple of local 10k (24th Nov and 10th Dec) to keep me motivated. Hoping for sub 47 in one of the 10ks. 

YTD: 829.7
  • Lots of people either there or getting within sniffing distance, great work everyone.

Nice 13 miles around the Preseli hills yesterday on a bit of the Preseli Beast route, windy, boggy but sun shone most of the time and views were spectacular, nice to be able to stop & enjoy the views instead of just ploughing on trying my best to push a pace. Great company as well.

1064miles YTD 

• Hello fellow thousand-milers!

Good to hear you're back on it, Donnie. Best of luck for your sub-47 10K goal. I found marathon training gave me excellent base fitness - I PBed at 10K (and HM) during marathon training.

Loving the sound of your "windy, boggy" 13 miles, Hobie. I take it you are Welsh - or Welsh-based, at least?

Planned for my usual Tuesday double today - brought my kit bag to work, opened it, only to find I'd left my trainers at home. Normally, if I had been in my own car I would have had spare trainers with me - but I had a car crash yesterday (a real one, not a figurative one) so my car is awaiting assessment to see if it's a write-off or not :angry: As a result, I had to skip my lunchtime run (or do it in bare feet - which I opted not to do!). Did do the club track night though... 5 x 3 mins w/ 2 mins recovery then 4 x 30 sec w/ 30 sec recoveries. With w/u and c/d the session totalled 5.16 miles.

YTD: 1021.10 miles.

• Afternoon all,

Sorry for the late post, however have been out of the office for the last few days.

Andrew, Well done, keep going you are doing really well.
    Senidm, Great run at Billericay, so close you could almost lick the coconut!
    Harmander, Another good run at the weekend, I bet the water was a little nippy!
    Hobbie1495, Glad you enjoyed the 13 mile hill run, you must love the mud!
    Nell, Hope you are okay following the accident, nightmare springs to mind - I love insurance companies!!!

Stat's for last week:

31.10.17 - 5
    01.11.17 - 5.62
    03.11.17 - 5
    05.11.17 - 6.25
    07.11.17 - 10

YTD = 1066.50

• Great work all,

Nell, Yup greetings from Wild West Wales although I'm actually Scottish. Hope you're all ok after the accident & car gets sorted quickly.

Great weekly miles David.

Club Winter handicap for me last night 4.5k loop around town, somehow I managed to finish in quickest time 18min 36sec...going to be a challenge to match that over the whole series.

1072 miles YTD

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Nell, think I've already written a commiserations thingie for your figurative car crash, so ditto for the literal one, hope the cars not too badly damaged (take it you're ok, so alls not too bad).

Harmander, been there with the unexpected paddle a few times, the Thames can be fun at times. Best one I had was the Quicksand 15 from Margate along the beach to Ramsgate and back, with a higher tide than was expected! If your'e not actually swimming it doesn't count as a Tri,  ;)

But, had a look at your SITC event on the 17th, looks like fun and I do love a different event; only slight prob I have with it is the course, a 2K lap along Woodford Ave? Still, may get lured in so might see you there.

At the moment still under the weather with manflu from my little sweetie visitors last week, hence sitting here typing inanities, but managed to get out for a bit of speedwork Tues so....

YTD:       1005.57, HURRA joined the 1000milers
  • Thanks Donnie2, David Charman and well done SenidM (M Denis I presume).

The Thames water was indeed chilly but ironically it cooled the feet just nicely. 

Little Nell, good to hear you are OK.

Two 13.71 milers this week, it is getting nippy in the evenings so I had an earlier start and finished in daylight. Makes my:
    YTD = 2573.27 miles. (under 49 miles to reach the equivalent of 100 marathons).

Am undecided whether to go for a really big total for 2018 (say 3600 miles) or high quality speed stuff and limiting the total to say 2018 miles.
    Would like everyone's thoughts please.
  • So many now passing the target - I'm still hopeful. Gym visits on the way home from work each night this week, so four episodes of The Chase and a total of 17 treadmill miles.

Nell: Hope your safe, well and mobile post car crash.

Harmander: Who am I to advise! Although remember to keep enjoying it.

SenidM: Get well soon.

YTD: 846.7