Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    DadAgain said:
    ..I bet you're glad you're entering the sunny season while the rest of us come up with tales of wind and rain! 

No no no - whilst I'm not a huge fan of wind I love running in the rain. Summer running around here is grueling, psychologically soul destroying and often downright dangerous. A 2 hours saturday morning long slow run can easily see me lose 3kg in sweat and the pace, even when trying will be easily 1 min/km slower than winter. 

Summer rain is one of the few times I can get out of the house without melting! I often wait for a storm to come through before heading out for a run in order to catch as much rain as possible! (I'm going to be soaked anyway - may as well be rain rather than sweat!).... Lightening and hail however - are a bit of a hazard with our usual summer afternoon storm and best avoided.
    If you are targeting a spring half in the northern hemisphere, training in the southern hemisphere gives you a physiological advantage in that you are effectively heat training.  With luck it should give you that extra boost so you are more efficient when race time comes.  When I ran sub-3 the last time I ran London, I had spent a fortnight just before the taper in Vietnam and Hong Kong.  I am convinced the effort spent running in the heat and humidity helped my running economy. 

45 mins of strength work today plus some pool running (5 min w/u; 6 x 3:00 mins w/30 secs rec; 5 min c/d).

GDawg/Freemers/Lorenzo - looking forward to a thread meet up at the Surrey HM followed by Cranleigh!
  • Options
    DadAgain said:
     I started running at about the age of 16 .....
    But you have the enviable position of *knowing* what you were capable of in your peak. 
    Not quite. All I know is that I didn't train as well as I could have. Speed is wasted on the young and I was relatively fast and happy with that and just didn't push harder. I ran a few marathons and dropped out as I was not under 6 minutes a mile. I could have cashed in a few 2.4x finished but wanted sub 2:36.
  • Options
    DadAgain - I'm the same as you ref rain vs sun; I just thought that all Aussies (or Brits who'd moved Down Under) lived in Oz because of the weather there compared to here in Blighty! I don't mind running (rather than racing) in the wind - one of the most memorable runs I did was along the coastal path in Cornwall with a strong wind coming in off the sea and I was thankful it wasn't blowing the other way. Wind + run isn't great especially when it's cold but running off road in a downpour in the dark is great fun!!

MsE / G-Dawg - haven't yet pressed the button on the Surrey Half entry as I'm baulking a bit at the £37.50 entry fee compared to Fleet at £25 but I suspect that the enjoyment of running with you two will be well worth the extra cost! Will see how this afternoon's racing goes and then sort things out.

My ankle held up fine on the commuting run yesterday so I've decided to give the XC relays a go this afternoon and will be running in my new Innov 8 Talons for the first time. We've entered 5 men's teams from the club but I suspect I'll be in team 3 or 4 given the standard - younger Lorenzito is in the top team so hopefully I'll see him run as opposed to run past me!
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Take care, Lorenzo.  Ankle will be weak.  Consider taping as a precaution and keep your focus on your big race coming up.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Oh and watch out for the green domination of GGAC at Reigate.... (throws down gauntlet ;) )
  • Options

Welcome DadAgain! With only 4 years running so far, you’ve plenty of years still to improve. I started running in 2009 and turned 48 recently. This year I’ve PB’d in 5k, 10k, HM, Marathon, 50k and managed 133.7 miles in a 24 hour race.  The 40’s are the new 20’s. :)

I completed my 50th Marathon (or longer) today, in the EAMS Halloween Frightener Marathon.  I ran about 90% effort throughout for 3:08:xx, and 2nd overall. I can now send away for my silver 50th marathon medal!  B)

• Options
    Madbark - Congrats on no.50. How long do you reckon it'll take you to get to 100?

MsE - GGAC ladies medalled this afternoon in a very impressive performance. I was trying to chase down one of their runners on the second leg but she pulled away from me. The team then (without realising it!) rubbed my nose in it by asking me to take a team picture of them!

My ankle held up without any problems and I managed to run a decent enough leg in 17:14 for the 2.5miles. Undulating and muddy so pleased with the time. Younger Lorenzito was running 3rd leg for the A team and managed the 5th fastest time overall as the team won the men's event - his time of 14:18 was scarily fast.

A great afternoon was rounded off by my team (the mighty Maidstone Utd) causing one of the upsets in the FA Cup followed by a great Bonfire Night fireworks display down in Brockham.

Planning to head out for a couple of hours on the trail tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    Madbark - Congrats on no.50. How long do you reckon it'll take you to get to 100?

I first decided I wanted to target 100 marathon in May 2015 when I'd run 18. So if I continue at this rate it should take me roughly 4 years. I might get there a bit quicker if I can remain injury free.
  • Options
    Welcome Dad - you can do this
    Lorenzo that's a lot for a half.  BTW excellent miles you are putting in, I think you will finish well up in the ultra from hell.  No snow locally (so far)
    MsE nice business idea. One sees few if any canicrossers in conventional maras but they do appear in off road ultras in the 40-50m category.

Congrats on the 50 Badbark. You have done that very quickly and at high speed. Quality running.

I knocked off a cheeky 26.2 today, a low key event in Newcastle designed to raise £££ for Mo-vember and men's health charities.  The cold wind was slicing across the Town Moor, OO wouldn't have liked it.  I just went slow and had a a sociable time.  4th mara in 13 days and 7th sub-4 in 7 weeks.  Total now 78 - still ahead of BB, for a while anyway. Phew.
  • Options

Nice one Poacher.  I ran the Town Moor marathon with Minni and a few others from that thread in 2012 - it was 5 laps then, think it's more now?  I remember that bit on the grass, slippery up a slight hill, which was tough.  And I also remember Minni being in a photo with a runner in a cow costume :)

Lorenzo - good result from the XC, and brilliant from Lorenzito!

18 miles yesterday, really nice run in the morning sunshine.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Lorenzo - good XC racing and pleased your ankle is okay.
    Badbark- congrats on the half-century; you are certainly chalking them up!
    Poacher - well done. That explains the moor mo or mo moor marathon whichever it was; at first I thought it was a typo!
    Freemers - starting to rack up those long runs.
    I did parkrun this weekend. Not ideal prep, helping to clear up rubbish from a fireworks event which had been held in the park on Friday night, but I did manage to do half a mile to try and warm-up a bit. Tagged along behind an ex-colleage who has about 30 seconds on my PB and kept the pace reasonably consistent (6:01, 6:11, 6:07), briefly overtook him on the final lap, but couldn't hold him off for long, made a final effort and closed the gap again but finished 9th, 2 seconds behind him in 19:06. 6 recovery miles on Sunday made 54 for the week. 12 miles @ 7:33 m/m this morning.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Gul, I was also chasing a pal round the parkrun on Saturday but I got the victory finishing ahead of him for 7th in 18:58- truth is we were both out of sorts.

Congrats on the 50 BB and congrats to Poacher on the Newcastle mara. You are right I would not like that at all. I settled for 15 on Sunday well wrapped up and sneaking over 50 for the week. Resting today as I've got a fast GP tomorrow  3.6 miles. Just club pride at stake.

You have an amazing pedigree PMJ we'd all kill for.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cheeky indeed, Poacher. Nice one!
    A nice casual 18, Freemers. You're cruising along well it seems.
    Speed and volume from Gul, well played.
    Congrats on the 50, BB.
    Glad the ankle held out, Lorenzo. Good pace for you and Junior.

Getting back into it, here. Did 11 easy trail miles with a pal on Saturday. Was nice to get back to a double figure distance so soon after Abo.

Watched Woking draw 1-1 with Bury in the FA Cup on Sunday. We deserved to win it. Still, it was nice to be in the 2nd round draw on TV last night. If we win the replay we've got Peterborough or Tranmere at home.

Before the draw I managed to get 5 miles in at 6.43 pace. Felt a bit rusty and it seemed harder in the dark too. However, a good sharpener for the 5 mile XC in Epsom this Saturday.

Got to watch the weight now I'm out of campaign, I can already feel the belly getting bigger.  :|
  • Options
    OO - well done, I'd like to get a sub 19 again. All the best at the GP today.
    GD - tasty 5 miler.
    Did my first ever gym session yesterday. Just an induction from one of the staff who showed me some good exercises for core strength and leg work etc... Unlikely to find much time to go very often but as my boss is paying for any staff who want to join, it would be rude not to! 11 miles this morning. Nice and easy today, with 5 @ 8:50 and 6 @ 8:17 with 10 x 100m strides.

• Options
    PMJ did you ever get that sub 2:36 mara ???
    Badbark nice half century ,sure the next 50 will not take anywhere near as long as the first .
    GUl so close to a sub 19 ,should be only a matter of practice !

just walking 'ere no plans to resume training yet ..Hammy still niggly even walking and had a sore hip one day which luckily cleared up quickly again.
  • Options
    Bit of a calf problem on my run this morning - felt really tight as if it was going to pop any second, particularly when I tried to pick up speed.  Hope it's just tightness/cramp and not any actual damage.  I will stretch and foam roll it later, hopefully it will settle down OK. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Watch that calf, Freemers. I have a history of calf issues. Do as you say but also get your hands on it for some massage, that helped on mine when I tore my Soleus before Paris a couple of years back.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Badbark - nifty 50 - well done :)

Poacher - likewise no. 78 - and 7th sub4 in 7 weeks is great going . . . .   I too have a couple of "7 in 7" to report - each of the last two weeks I've done one run of 7 miles :/
    following a 15 and a 21 that gives me a nice round 50 for the 4 week block !!   
    Bagged 7 yesterday, and 7 more today, though . . . . .   

Gul - your 19:06 predicts a marathon of way under 3:15 (in fact, towards 3 hours in some tables) . Obviously this assumes the relevant training is done, but your training is always diligent, -you can churn out the miles , and the times you hit in many of your sessions indicate its there for you - we believe in you  . . . .    :)

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Indeed we do- keep the faith Gul.

Take care Freemers- calves are about the only thing I don't get issues with

• Options
    Leslie - must be very frustrating for you. Hope it clears up soon.
    Freemers - hope the calf is okay today.
    Birch - hope you can bag 3 in a row.
    Birch / OO - I believe I can do it, but just not sure that I ever will!
    6 recovery miles d&d. I was hoping to pop into the gym before work today but forgot that Miss GD the younger needed a lift to school for a trip today so that was scuppered. The gym opens at 6am so I am wondering if I could tag a gym session on the end of a run one morning - might need to set an alarm for Mrs GD though as I usually wake her up around 6:30!
  • Options

Calf is twinging a bit when I'm walking around, so not running today.  I'll see if it has settled down tomorrow before I attempt anything.

Gul - I agree that is a very swift parkrun! And nice recovery miles. Plus free gym membership is fantastic - I pay a small fortune for one in London. 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good idea to rest that calf, Freemers. Do you have any calf guards? I bought some Compressport ones when I was injured. They seemed to help. I also wear them on calf thrashing runs, including the downhills in Boston where I thought the vibration control would ease fatigue. I think it worked as my calf muscles were fine after.

A rare working from home situation today meant I could enjoy a lunchtime run. Did the bumpy run to Ottershaw and back. 8 miles at 6.43 pace with some hill attacks thrown in. Happy to still have that pace over that distance in the system.

• Options

Freemers rest up you don't want an injury at the start of the campaign if you can avoid it .

Gul you can do it but you MUST race more often to give yourself the best chance . Bit frustrating for me yes but I think a couple of months rest is the only way now to have a chance making any progress next year.

Gdawg glad you haven't lost any speed .

• Options
    Started this week with a bit of fun - out squad annual “Melbourne Cup Race”. In the spirit of the horse race of the same name (same day) we run 3200m on the track with a handicap.

However, instead of a weight handicap it’s a time one. Of 21 of us in the race I was the 18th starter beginning 6:30 behind the first runner.

The race was confusing as hell and although I knew nobody had overtaken me, I had no idea whether I’d overtaken people enough times to make up the headstart! My first lap was waaaay too quick and by lap 5 I was hurting big dug in.

By the last 100m I knew I hadn’t won (someone had already finished), but I was still able to take someone on the final sprint.

My net time 12:48 and finished 3rd fastest of the squad, but in 13th place after handicap! 

Great fun :)

Downside is that on the basis of that my coach has challenged me to participate in the QLD 5000m Championships next weekend! He’s going to run too so I reckon there’ll be two of us old duffers fighting it out with each other to hit 20 minutes and the rest of the field finishing 5 minutes ahead of us!!
  • Options
    Freemers - very sensible; hope it's better today.
    GD - good lunchtime run.
    Leslie - resting now will pay off in the long run. I agree about racing, but unfortunately it just isn't going to happen. I was hoping to do parkrun again this weekend, but now looks very unlikely.
    DadAgain - well done, that sounds like great fun! Enjoy the 5000m Championships next weekend.
    12 miles this morning, with 6 x 0.5M off long recoveries averaging 6:08m/m.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

GD you lucky fella- sneaking a lunch run is always a good feeling.

Well done DadAgain. My club GP on Tuesday is based on the same handicap format but with 178 runners over a 3.6 mile course- really good fun. I ran in 21:43 which is 6:02 pace, 7th fastest male overall- a bit slower than I hoped for. But my middle daughter (JuniorOO2?) also made a top 10 ladies spot running 7:10 pace- she is really getting her form back.

I'll be in Barca for my Wedding Anniversary this weekend, but hoping to sneak a Sunday LSR along the promenade in Sitges.

Very tasty pace there Gul....  

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    back into it - after measly 50 in 4 weeks (14 in the last fortnight) , am on 35 this week - 15 today to follow 7,7,6  -   so hope 50 will be entered in the diary on Sunday. 

Another good session, Gul (and more evidence)  ;)   
  • Options
    Hello all. I've been doing a bit since I was last on here. Since I got back I've been trying to get the legs moving again i.e. what I call proper running not just plodding. I've managed a few  5k's 7, 8 and 10 milers with a mix of off road with loads of hills too. Today was my fist dedicated speed sesh in about 6 months. 5 x 800m reps off 60s recovery. The reps were along the sea front and there was a bit of a breeze going out and it always feels worse when doing something fast (well relatively speaking). Reps were 2:55, 2:50, 2:52, 2:53 and 2:54. Didn't feel too hard but my legs could feel them on the last rep as I did an hour and a half run late last night. Hope to be able to have a catch up later today. Hope you're all good folks.
  • Options
    OO - good running from the OO family. Enjoy celebrating your Wedding Anniversary this weekend.
    Birch - excellent news on the 15 miler!
    GM - some very impressive splits for your 800m reps, especially as you only had 60s recoveries, well done.
    6 mile recovery run d&d but no gym.
  • Options

I’m running the “Wedding Marathon” in a few hours. A couple are getting married at Carrickfergus Castle and immediately running the marathon with proceeds going to charity. All finishers get the great medal below.

The couple fly out to Tenerife tomorrow and will be doing the Tenerife Marathon together on Sunday!