Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Nice 800s, GM. Hope all is well, Pal.
    No gym, Gul? Slacker!  :D
    Nice ramping up, Birch, impressive miles this week.
    Enjoy Barca, OO. I love it there.

Had a meeting over-run in London yesterday so I missed the track session. Thought of just hitting the sofa but manged to do a cheeky 5 miler at 6.46 pace. Couldn't belt it as I have the XC in Epsom tomorrow but I mixed it up for a Steady/Tempo mash-up!

My step-mum's Dad passed away yesterday. It had been on the cards as he was ill and 95 years old. As with all gents of his age they have amazing stories to tell. He was what I call a running pioneer. He blazed the trail for the likes of me in a time when it wasn't cool to run, far from it, it was a weirdo's pastime. He'd run the pavements of south London, along the Old Kent Road and up to Blackheath, a place we're all familiar with. No fancy trainers and wearing old shorts and a vest, no doubt receiving all sorts of looks as he weaved his way along the busy streets where I grew up.
    A champion fellow who I'll dedicate my running to tomorrow and also the others of his generation who we also remember this weekend.
  • A wedding marathon - there's an idea!

Good to hear you're getting back into it, GM and Birch.

Work has been rather too busy of late, and I've also been fiddling quite a lot (concerts this week and next!) but I was able to get to my club session last night, and, at the risk of counting chickens, I think a bit of speed might finally have returned to the legs.  3 x 2km: 7.50, 7.40, 7.35.  Seeing as 10km pb pace would only be just under 7.30 for 2km, that's pretty pleasing.  I was almost tempted to do the 4th rep, but on balance thought it was better to get the mental boost of 3 strong reps.
  • Sad news GD but he sounds like a fine fellow - enjoy the run in his honour.

BB - love those medals!

Calf definitely not right. Walking feels OK but as soon as I go onto tiptoes or try and push off into a run there is pain. OH (in his professional opinion as a remedial massage therapist) thinks likely to be a small tear.  Not too downhearted given the time of year and I don't have any races in the very near future, just frustrated that I am sitting in my study at home, looking out at the lovely sunny weather, perfect for a run :(

• GDsorry I somehow overlooked your post.  Perhaps I was typing very slowly?  He does indeed sound like a fine fellow, who deserves to have a fair few runs dedicated to him.

Sorry to hear about the calf still niggling, Freemers.  A low grade tear will heal relatively quickly, in my experience, but a bit of treatment will help.  Sounds like you have someone very handy nearby to do just that.  My OH is a haematologist.  Less useful, although he can manage basic massage having done a beginners' course and understanding the physiology from med school lectures many moons ago.
  • Evening all.

G-Dawg – Condolences to you and your family. I’m doing ok, thank you. You’re in fine form!

MsE – How are you now?

Lorenzo – Not long now until your ultra hey? £37.50 for a half is extortionate. Glad your ankle held up ok for the XC, sounds like you ran well.

Badbark – Another fine marathon and congrats on reaching the half century. There seems to be lots of them in your neck of the woods. The wedding one sure is a novel idea.

Freemers – Sorry to hear about the calf. Hope it’s not too serious.

Gul – Nice park running. Is that fairly close to your best on that course? Good training from you. You seem to have recovered well from your marathon. Great news re the gym if you can use it then great.

OO – I’m glad your daughter is going well after the nasty accident she had. What’s up next for you? Enjoy your wedding anniversary in Barca. Lovely place.

Leslie – Sorry to hear about your woes. Are you still hopeful of making an appearance for a spring mara?

Birch – That’s more like it! Glad to see that. J

DadAgain – I’ve done a similar kind of race here where I live and you’re right, it’s confusing but fun hey. Are you based on Melbourne?

Poacher – I can’t believe the way you knock out those back to back marathons or such limited running. I really can’t!

Jools – Cracking session there. You’ve been plugging away and the speed is back, well done!

As mentioned in my previous post I’ve been getting back to a good bit of running and things are generally more positive. My foot seems to have coped really well considering the way I’ve been running the past few weeks. It’s almost completely pain free now. I think I’ve been overdoing it though and need to rein it in or else I’ll be back on the bench. 

• I finished 1st in the Wedding Marathon today in 3:03:58 - Here I am between the bride and groom. The event was on BBC Newsline Northern Ireland - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-41947992 I received a silver plate for the win and another one for completing my 50th marathon last week. :) Fantastic day
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Brilliant, BB...Brilliant!  B)
  • Badbark - great idea - hope everything went off to plan. OK, sounds like it did. Congratulations to all 3 of you!
    GD - sorry to hear about step-mum's Dad - sounds like a great guy, indeed. Have a good XC in his memory today.
    Jools - glad to hear you're finding some good form.
    Freemers - take care now.
    GM - yes, don't over do it. My parkrun PB is 18:42; would be good to go sub 19 again.
    9 miles this morning. 1 w/u, 6 @ 6:43m/m, 4 x 200m/200m and 1M w/d to finish.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good fun at the XC today. More mud than last year which slowed us a little but happy with my performance as there are a couple of long inclines on that course. 5 miles at 6.40 pace. We had a team of 21 and I was 9th points scorer for our team (10 to score). We had a great laugh and nice biscuits at the end. Results aren't yet in but one of our chaps won the race and we should be in the podium positions.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hi all  

Jools - pleasing session, and nice adherence to the "finish feeling you could have done another" dictum  . . . .

GDawg - your chap indeed sounds a splendid gent  . . . .    

Freemers - bad luck, but as Jools intimated, my experience is that you shouldn't be out too long . . .

Gerard - great to see you back to it . . . .   

Badbark -  congrats on the brace of prizes, and lovely pic - really enjoyed the article you linked, too . . . .   

Gul - ano fine session there  . . .   

squeezed in a 5 this morn, then lunch for 6 to celebrate my mother's birthday  . .
    on 40 for the week - highest for around 3 months with a day left 
  • Birch – I’m glad you liked the article. Well done on your highest mileage for a while. Happy birthday to your mum!

GD – Thanks! That sounds like an excellent XC. I hope your team make the podium

Gul – Yep, everything went perfect. That’s a great session you managed.

I followed up 29 mile including a 7 m/m paced marathon yesterday, with 22 miles today at 8 m/m pace. Two weeks today I’m running a 54 mile ultra, so they were great b2b workouts.

• DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    GerardM - I’m based in Brisbane, so weather is more humid and sticky over summer than Melboune.

GD - There's not much cross country around here and when there is it doesnt tend to be very muddy. I havent done any racing like that yet 'cos it always seems to happen when I'm focusing on marathon buildups and missing a 30km run to have an 8km race doesnt seem to fit in. 

How do you all fit in other races around the marathon plan? Do you just add the races in as extra, or drop long runs in favour of shorter races every now and then?

I had a really tough run yesterday, life got in the way and stopped me being able to get out at 5:30am for the usual saturday run and I had plans in the evening, so like a complete idiot I decided to head out for my 20km run (first decent length run for a month) at 1pm. It wasnt too hot - only about 29C but the humidity was up around 70% and I soon regretted being out there. I struggled to maintain the pace towards the end despite that pace being closer to 4hr marathon pace instead of 3:15 pace. Amazing how quickly fitness drops once the weather gets in the way and you take your feet off the gas!

I have a feeling its going to be another tough summer. The challenge, as always, will be to just keep getting out there and try really hard to forget about speed completely and trust that when April eventually comes around again and the humidity finally starts to ease, the speed will come flying back in time for race season. The challenge is more of a psychological one than a physical one. Getting out there is ok. Not being freaked out by the apparent massive degradation in performance is really tough to do!

<dreaming of cold frosty mornings running around paths of rural Hampshire!>
  • GD - great effort; hope your team picks up  a podium place.
    Birch - really encouraging. Hope your mum a good birthday lunch.
    Badbark  - that's some pretty awesome back to back running.
    DadAgainonly 29C! You're obviously acclimatised to the heat, but with the humidity too that must be a killer. Good mental preparation though. Hope things work out for your next long run.
    My watch battery died somewhere after 11 miles this morning, so an estimated 17 miles, with 8 @ 8:45 and 10 around 8:00 m/m. Brings up 73 for the week and puts me over 2,000 for the year :)

• DadAgain – Ah yes, sorry, you mentioned Brisbane before. Two of my best mates from childhood are based out there, one in St.Kilda in Melbs and the other in Brisbane. I’d say the combo of the heat and humidity is tough. I lived out in Africa and it was he burning heat that hurt most, so I know what you mean but you’ll be well prepared come April. I loathe the winters here but I like training in them. What is you’re A race?  

G-Dawg – That looks pretty quick to me for XC, especially if it was muddy. Great team effort.

Birch – Glad you got to celebrate your Mum’s birthday and great to see you back to a good weekly total with a day in hand. J

Badbark – Those times are coming down and I suppose the weight is again after your holiday?

Gul – That’s a big week and a nice long run to cap off a fine week.

Freemers – How is that calf muscle?              

Busy weekend this side. Local parkrun for me. Was in two minds to do it after a couple of hard sessions the previous two days but I was awake and thought, what the heck better run than not run. It was absolutely hideous conditions, 30mph wind and rain which had an impact on the numbers. We average 300+ runners a week now and there were 17x hardy souls. 19:42 and managed to claim a few scalps and finish 3rd but it was not easy. A good race though with a few guys and I was glad I did it. It was not a PB day and most of the quick runners were a minute or so slower than their pb, so not a bad effort. Backed that up with a 15.7 mile jog in 40pmh wind today, it was a lovely run though with a nice mix of the elements, a rainbow, hail, sunshine, driving rain. What’s not to like about it? J

• Gul - Gotta hate the watch death. My FR220 watch died just after tower bridge in VLM this year after a bad overnight charging attempt and left me kinda naked in the second half of the race. For months after the battery life was consistently managing between 3 hours and 3:30 and I kept losing the end of long runs. I finally had a gutful and forked out the $$ for a new one (935) in September and LOVE having a battery than can last a week - it feels so luxurious knowing I can run as long as I like and not suffer from the dreaded "battery low" warning message!

Gerard - I don't really have an "A race" in mind for 2018. I'll probably run Canberra in April and Sydney in September, but my big hope is to get into New York in the ballot for my 4th Major in 4 years (Berlin '15, Chicago '16, London '17, -NYC?-'18, Boston '19.... would leave Tokyo '20 for the set!). I'm tempted to attempt a fast half in our big local event "Gold Coast Marathon" - but I know I'm likely to get swept up in club excitement and end up upgrading to the full instead.

• Gul Darr said:
    My watch battery died somewhere after 11 miles this morning, so an estimated 17 miles, with 8 @ 8:45 and 10 around 8:00 m/m. Brings up 73 for the week and puts me over 2,000 for the year :)
    A good weekly and annual total. Do your weeks go up and down a lot? The maths says 2,000 miles in 45 weeks (just 7 weeks to go in 2017!) is about 45 miles per week average. I'm about 200 miles behind you so about 5 miles per week down and my Strava weekly totals are pretty much bunched around 40 miles per week.

• DadAgain - sounds like really tough conditions for running!  Well done for getting it done though.

GDawg - good XC results

BB - superb mileage!

Gerard - excellent parkrunning in awful weather

Well the calf feels a little better but definitely not ready to run yet.  OH said "6 weeks" when I asked him how long he thinks I should stay off it - in my mind I'm going to give it 2 and see what happens....So one week down and one to go.

As walking is fine though I decided to go for walks instead over the weekend - at a briskish 4mph, and did 7 miles Saturday and 10 Sunday.   All miles count right!

• It was a scorching 37C day on Saturday during my Park Run and I ran 18:03, my best Park Run time since July. More hot days to follow over the next few month and I expect to run some decent Park Run times. The heat seems to keep the faster runners away and I have a better chance to rack up more Park Run first place finishes due to the lack of competition.  

My training at the moment is 2 to 4 days at the gym during the week focusing on treadmill runs of 2 to 4 miles a mixture of higher incline runs between 3 to 5% and tempo runs @ 1.5% to 2% incline. Stairmaster, rowing machine, gym weights helps to add some variety to my gym work outs.

I have 7 months to improve upon the 3:20 marathon I ran in mid-October. I hope to run a sub 3:15 marathon in my 10th and final marathon. 
  • GM - well done on the parkrun; that sounds like a great effort in those conditions and good mlr battling the conditions too!
    DadAgain - good investment!
    PMJ - yes, my weekly mileage does vary a bit, but most notably I had a poor first 6 months of the year (150, 108, 178, 211, 187, 122) but now finishing strongly (217, 220, 265, 235).
    Freemers - hope it's not 6 weeks!
    Sub17ParkRun - Welcome! Just a wild guess, but I presume you're not UK based with a temperature like that (especially in November). Very different training regime to most people on this thread, but I know I could certainly do with some strength work! Keep us up to date with how you get on.
    9 slow miles this morning to start the week. Legs feeling lethargic.

• BB that is a lovely story. MrsP sometime drops heavy hints about official marriage, perhaps if I tell her it has to involve 26.2... Congrats on the 50, a very good effort. People often ask me if there are any easy maras. I always tell them there are easi-er maras, but absolutely no easy ones. They all hurt.

Lorenzo - good luck this w/e.  Cold in Derbyshire, but dry, firm underfoot and no sign of snow. 

Gul - Birch sums it up well - we believe in you and as one who has been soundly smacked down by you I double believe. Each race teaches a new lesson to be called upon when the going is tough. Working in Norfolk next week - well at least it will be flat.

Sub17 welcome, "10th and final marathon".. a fair few people have said that in the past  ;)

Freemers - look after things, don't start 2018 injured

Not much running here, 7 autumn maras have taken their toll.  Still hoping to reach a modest 1000m for the year.  By the high standards of this thread that's a bit embarrassing. 

• Hi folks - been a bit absent as life and other commitments got in the way and I've only had time to read rather than post.

Welcome to Sub17PR - where on earth are you based to be running in 37 degrees C? Sounds insane to me as we're only just above 37 degrees Fahrenheit at the moment here!

GM - great parkrun from you given the rain and wind. Sounds as though you're back in good shape.

2,000 miles already Gul? Nice one - I should be up to 1,900 by the end of the week.

G-Dawg - I saw your performance on the Surrey League website. You guys are looking good for promotion and may be passing us heading in the opposite direction unless we can improve in the final 2 races.

Only 7 autumn marathons Poacher - I'd expect at least 3 more before the year is finished! ;) As you say, it's looking a bit chilly up in the Peak District at the moment - hoping that the rain that's forecast for the weekend doesn't materialise. I've started laying out my stuff with the notable exception of all the items that younger Lorenzito seems to have borrowed.

Steady week for me last week with 3 lots of commuting runs, an easy one, a hilly interval session with the club on Thursday and a couple of hours' trail running on Sunday to bring up 42 for the week. Had a rest day today and definitely not going to go mad during the rest of the week.

Fine performances over the weekend with younger Lorenzito winning his race in the Surrey League (u17s) and Mrs L competing in a XC race for the first time ever and, despite the rain, throughly enjoying it. Would a pair of spikes be a sensible Xmas present?!

• Badbark great story saw it on the news , 400 mara's between them amazing .Good to see there are more people as crazy as you !
    Gerard good to hear things are on the up , at the minute a spring mara is  of the menu for me ,don't want to put myself under pressure again to try to make another impossible  deadline .
    Freemers 10 mile walking is hardcore , I did 2x2 mile today ! at 4 mph they definitely count.
    Sub 17 unusual mara training but 3:20 says it works for you .
    Gul 2000m you have now overtaken me ...a strong year so far !
    Most of the races I did last spring are in the middle of nightshift this year so no pressure here to sign up !

• Poacher - whereabouts in Norfolk? It's not all flat! 7 autumn maras is very impressive.
    Lorenzo - good racing by the Lorenzo family as ever. Rest up now ready for the weekend! Should be awesome.
    Leslie - I presume you mean the races fall during the days when you're on nightshift - not that you will be at work when they are taking place? Don't get many of those except for 24 hour endurance events maybe!
    11 miles this morning with 3 x 2M efforts. Averaged 6:43, 6:31 and 6:29.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sub 17, I would be amazed if you don’t improve on sub 3:20 with that pace. It’s all about the training of course.

Thats a real bummer Freemers. I also do a lot of walking, keeps the calories burning and is quite relaxing. 

Ive had a sore foot for a few weeks so I’ve been plodding and avoiding club sessions. 30-40k steps per day pacing around Barca seems to have helped. I’ll give it a try out tonight and see.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    That's a great photo by the way Badbark- you are a celebrity!
  • Sub 17 - Welcome on board. A bit of endurance in your training should see you smash that 3;20 with the leg speed you already have. 

5k road race for me tonight. Wasn't feeling confident as I had a mere two hours sleep last night and felt wrecked but I fancied a race and wanted to run.There was a moderate headwind going out and I paced it very conservatively (for a change) and just ran to feel. There was a good group of fast-ish runners so a few targets to aim at. Had no idea what time or pace I was on for but pulled away from one guy who usually beats me and tried to catch another guy ahead. I thought I had him as I was gaining with a K to go but he hung on. Only really felt hard in the last k and looking at the splits the last K was 5:52 pace and the 2nd last 6mm dead.  18:55 finish time and a nice negative split which is a first for me in any race. It was pitch dark on some parts and it was very disorientating at times and not possible to look at the watch but that was probably a blessing.  
  • Sub17 - Assuming your name is indicative of your 5km performance I'd say 3:20 should be pretty comfortable for you! If you do the distance in training it has to be inevitable - surely? 

Gerard - 18:55 sounds like a mighty impressive 5km to me. In pitch dark and with a headwind suggests you could go significantly faster in ideal conditions.

My 5km PB was set in the first half of a local 10km race. I went through 5km in 19:51 (first time ever under 20). But I cant really claim it. Theres a massive downhill at the start of the race and measurements by the organizers are highly suspect (10km race comes in as 9.8km by the watch?!). On saturday evening I'm running in the QLD 5000m championships on a track which will be a bit of fun and I'm hoping that I can crack 20 minutes and have a legitimate claimable PB. Most of the rest of the field will be running 15-17mins, but there's going to be 3 of us old codgers at the back fighting it out for last place. If I can beat my coach (who was a 2:45 marathoner in his day and is the same age as me now) - I'll be very happy.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice 11 miler, Gul
    That's a cracking pace for a night 5k GM. There must be a calculation as to what that would equate to in daylight as ocular perception is a slowing factor in the dark.

Really enjoyed the track last night, hard work though. It was a Gerschler fartlek session. All off together and then the hooter goes for 30 seconds of bombing it followed bey ever decreasing jog recoveries. After 7 fast efforts it was rest for 2 mins and then go again for three more sets. Totalled 5.8 miles averaging 6.30.  Could really feel it in the 4th set but that's good as it shows I was putting the effort in.

Got back and followed the mighty Woking as we progressed to Round 2 of the FA Cup by beating Bury 3-0. Fantastic result from our little non-league club. #GiantKillers
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    yes, thought of you when I spotted that result, G-D :)  

good racing in the dark, Gerard . . . .       

oh, and super victory for junior Lorenzo noted :)  

continuing my return to a few more miles with 6 Mon, 7 yesterday ; just off to meet my pal for maybe 7 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I keep trying to pop back but life is rather hectic of late.  Just wanted to say sorry to hear about your loss, GD.  Sounds a fine chap who lived a good life.  

A quick hello to Sub17 and DadAgain (or have I already done that...?)  You both sound like you have much wisdom you can share with us.

Jools - yay speed. It was just taking a short sabbatical while you were busy fiddling and wearing a wig.

OO and Birch - good to see you are keeping on moving (in a fashion).  It must be extra hard not to judge your current self by past standards when they are so high.  Walks seem to work for OO and company for Birch to distract the mind from the spell of relative inactivity.

Poacher - you can't say "not much activity" when you have just run a few marathons off no training.  It is all relative!

Lorenzo - how is the ankle?  Are you doing single leg squats and calf raises to strengthen for your ultra?  If not, why not???? And yes, buy her spikes but perhaps check in case she would prefer something else first.

Freemers - ditto, don't push it and start 2018 injured.  Any idea what triggered it?

Leslie - what are your thoughts for 2018?

Gerard - sub-19 in the dark with a headwind?  Respect.

And finally, BB - power to you! (fist bump)

Ticking over.  Managed a little niggle and watching it now.  Posterior tib tendonitis.  Seeing the chiropractor to release tension.  Focusing on form so as not to exacerbate.  But able to run (yay).  52 miles last week and saw Julian Goater for a session yesterday. First one in over a year or so!  Oof.  Speedwork hurts when you only plod.  Descending pyramid of 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 mins with 50% recs (2.5 mins etc) on a lovely bouncy undulating grassy loop.  Paces came out at 6:11, 6:07, 6:01, 5:45 and 5:24 min/mi.  The idea of extending the time I run those paces at seems rather a large task.  Then hosted a Lululemon Run Club last night for another 7.5 miles to the day.  Will rest today and let the body repair.  Rest and stress. Hard and easy.  Must not mess it up after being given another chance with a new ankle!