My Last Run

Comments

• Puddles are fun JT.  Hope the flytipers get into some trouble.  B*stards.  Nice mileage btw.

You're recovering fast Matt.  

Nice analysis Will. You are right to be proud of your achievements.      

That isn't a shabby time nontheless Andrea.  Better luck next time that you are on home turf and in good weather.  

I've read on the Shades thread that you are still struggling Cal.  I really hope that things pick up soon.   My post-marathon blues are more or less gone, it is nice actually to just go out and run without the pressure of a training plan.  I have my eye on 2-3 races for the rest of 2017.

Swittle - I admit to wandering over to look at your training log on Fetch every now and then if you are quiet on here and I get worried about the streak - all those boxes filled in are awesome.

Enjoy the taper Nessie - looking forward to your HM.

Me: 6.7km on Friday with OH - we trotted around the perimeter of a local wood in the hopes of being in the right place at the right time for the sunset - a bank of cloud got in the way unfortunately but it was nice to have company for once.  
    Today: 17.5km in 1:38:35.  Splashed and squelched slightly around the local fields and woods mid-afternoon as I couldn't be bothered to go out in the morning in the pouring rain.  I'm starting to put a bit of regular up and down back into my runs and a lot less tarmac.

I've also signed up for the Berlin ballot.  Don't know what the chances are of getting a place.  Don't mind either way.
  • Thanks Hazelnut. I had a pretty wretched weekend from a running perspective (everything was hurting too much) but I got out today and managed 4 miles. Back ached the whole time but hip wasn't too bad. I guess this counts as a good day.
  • 5.2 km at lunchtime - cold, cloudy and windy - needed gloves today.   OH has just sent me a nice pic of Hyde Park basking in the sunshine.   So much for the rumour that the UK only has fog or rain..

Wildlife spot:  one fox and two crows attacking a buzzard. 
  • Yeah it was sunny here today, but it was 4 degrees when I popped out for my run. Brrr!
  • It was Hog Hill race 2 tonight with the club, 5k of hell around Redbridge cycling track. Garmin made it around 10 seconds slower than last month, around 25.45.  Only had 3 hours sleep last night and am still trying to stay focussed on a PB for Sunday
  • Good time Nessie.  That cycling center looks fun - I would rather run it than bike it though (don't like uphill biking much as I run out of gears!)  Try to get in some good sleep before Sunday.

Standard Tuesday trot for 10.4km yesterday - 3 of us out.  Legs felt quite fresh. 
  • Andrea Dawson 2Andrea Dawson 2 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I'm trying out a new formula to get my 5k back down again. It basically requires you to run 40 % of your current 5k time and then I had to calculate what my current mph was and increase it by 0.5 mph each day, repeat for 3 weeks.Very complicated (thanks to my Husband for helping me!) 

Anyway on Monday I ran 1 slow warm up mile and then I did just shy of 10 mins at 7:56 pace

Today I ran 2 slow miles followed by the same distance as Monday in 7:45 pace.

Goodness knows if it will work, but my mind feels like it's doing something different  :D:D

• Blimey, Andrea, that sounds complicated, but stats are not my strong point. I hope it works for you.

I tried kind of the opposite tonight - an 'eyes off the watch' run. I think I only glanced at Tom twice (to check it was on) and just felt my way along the run. Have been feeling rather lethargic all week and ended up doing 5.5 miles in 54 mins. An enjoyable trot and my new calf sleeves seem to be holding my aging muscles in place. The clocks changing does have a strange effect on me, so I need to keep cracking on with the training plan, which will hopefully keep any physical and, more importantly, mental slump at bay.

Glad to hear you're managing to get out again, Cal. Great Hog effort, Nessie and nice fox/crow/buzzard action, as well as your inimitable consistency, Hazel :smile:
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    8+miles in under an hour. Was quite wheezy for some reason - pace was okay but had to really control my breathing.
  • Milder today at 7am but breezier too.  4-mile tour of coastal park & Crosby promenade and a chat with an unreconstructed docker!  I'd try 'something new' but I'm too set in my running ways!  ;)

Well done for getting the miles in!
  • Don't know when you will be around Nessie so an early good luck for Sunday!  Don't fall in the canal.. ;)  Looks like a nice route, I had a peek at the website. 

16.2km in 1:27 this lunchtime.  Set off with the idea of doing a few km a bit quicker and at least 12 km.

So 4.6km warm up, 5km at around HM -10secs/km pace and the rest at relaxed pace.  Could have done more but I am suppose to be recovering from my mara still.  

Cool day - out in lightweight long sleeves and tights and even gloves but by the time I had done the fast 5km I would have been happier in shorts and T-shirt.  No wildlife to report - just some farmlife - a nice herd of cows with their calves.

My next "something new" might be P&D for my next marathon campaign (which I haven't actually planned yet).  Got my hands on the book at last.   It might also be a 56km ultra.  We will see.  I want to continue to take a relaxed attitude to running for a few more weeks yet and not get stressed by goals and training plans too much.
  • Thanks Hazelnut, it may seem like a fast recovery but 10 miles was my shortest run since the middle of September! I followed it with a steady 10k on Tuesday then a fairly slow 5k today, both of which seemed to be a bit of a struggle but maybe my legs are a little tired after six weeks of minimal running.
  • Thanks for the wishes Hazel. I've done a couple of easy ones yesterday and today, plus swimming. Now I need to keep my head together for a PB on Sunday  :# and *not* keep telling myself I can just enjoy the scenery and take it easy / that I can't do it without a running buddy to pace me....
  • Now, Nessie, I'm confident that, once you configure head, lungs & legs, you'll realise that scenery is transitory, while PBs are for ever - until the next one!  ;)
  • All the best, Nessie. Hope it goes well for you. Nice, cool conditions forecast.

I got out on the muddy trails around the university this morn. Dewy, misty and the crisp air was a delight. I tried another new thing today - kerazy, I know! The lake lap is dead on a mile, so I upped my HM pace by the best part of a minute for a lap and then relaxed on the next lap. I had intended to then do another fast lap but the first one walloped me and so I just carried on at a plod. Working on the 'what doesn't kill you, just slowly grinds you down to an inevitable, slow demise' principle, I think that lap must have been good for something.

Nature wise, it was a festival of colour. Around a dozen lovely Jay's were busy hiding acorns along the way. Their peaches, pinks and amazing turquoise wing bars make them one of the most splendid forbids around. Even better than the Jay's were the 2 Kingfishers which whizzed past me along the river at about 5 times my 10K pace. Wonderful.

The mud took its toll on my legs and I only just managed to overtake the convoy of mobility scooters that were cruising along my home straight, paying no attention to the highway code!

7.5 miles in 1h 13mins. Another decent run banked. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • *Jays. I would never use an apostrophe there!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • *corvids not forbids. Posh for crows.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Good luck for tomorrow Ness.
    About 8.5miles early evening. Cold. Saw a lost black glove which looked like a deceased rook. As the nights are drawing in more disco dogs about with flashing collars. Odd splits with some slow later miles. Have noticed there are some sections I run regularly that record slow, though they don't feel any slower. Wonder if it's the way it gets picked up on the Garmin.
    Nearly ran over a squirrel on my bike the other day. A couple of weeks ago biked past a farm and scattered a brood of upset noisy chickens. It was a massive flustercluck.
  • Good luck Nessie!

Will, I hate the mud too! Parkrun was a nightmare yesterday, even with myntrail shoes. Ended up way down with 24:50. Anyway, it's the big 100 next week!

What a change this morning though, glorious sunshine and crisp. 6 miles in 53 minutes 
  • Could do with some of that crispy sunshine here Andrea, its chucking it down, including hail and a thunderstorm and blowing a gale so I've postponed my run till tomorrow ;) I do like a bit of mud - as long as I'm not racing though.

Nice posts JT and Will.

6.8km yesterday in the rain and wind to bring my favorite shoes up to 1000km.  Will retire them now as they do look a bit battered.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    16+miles on/offroad mix. Averaged bit under 7:40 pace. Bright but windy out. Went fine. Calves tired. Scared a pheasant.
  • Good pace and distance JT.  Did the pheasant scare you too?  They do tend to whiz off noisily.

Did my postponed long run today over midday.  Yesterday's storm blew itself out overnight and I did 20km in little wind in 1:53 enjoying the sight of short bursts of sunlight on the varicoloured carpet of leaves in the wood and on the snow on the hills.
  • 10-mile darkrun for me last night but no lunar help this time.  :(  Coastal Park, round the lakes, some beach & prom, turn at the old coastguard station, some lumpy trail and home.  Shin splints are not my friend.

3-mile recovery, mostly parkland.  Nodding off late afternoon.... :o
  • So I didn't get my PB.  I got 1.54, my 3rd best time.  I am disappointed cos I did a faster pace in training. Not quite sure what went wrong yet but on reflection: although the Grand Union is pancake flat, it was along rutted, very wet, muddy and slippy at times towpaths. The first mile especially, and at some later points, were single file only and I just could not get in place in the first mile. Although they set runners off in waves, obvioulsy some (many) people had been optimistic in their predicted finish time. So the first mile was 9 mm, so I tried to play catch up. Then I just found  it tough I gueess. I did my best, but it wasn't good enough.  
    I'll try again in spring.
  • Hey, Nessie, that's a great effort. Sounds like a tough course, with a bit too much traffic. As you say, even flat trails are not easy. Chin up, eh!

Good efforts, Hazelnut, Andrea, Swittle and JT. No crows, deceased or not for me yesterday as the frankly rude weather here in the east meant I swapped my LSR for a family viewing of ET, followed by a huge Chinese takeaway. Feeling guilty and having too much school work to do to stay in and do it, I headed out for a treacly plod tonight. Tried a new route and enjoyed crossing the floodlit River Yare, before almost losing my footing banana skin style several times along some unlit paths. Managed to grind out 8 miles before collapsing back through the front door. I think this may be 'end of season weariness'.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Never mind Ness. Lack of traction on mud takes plenty of energy to not go forward much. No doubt there's a knack to it.
    Tonight 9.9miles in under 1hr17. Felt like a quickish run, but apparently no. Lots of dark lonely paths so torched up. Have my winter gear out of storage. Got caught behind a big group of runners and had an off piste dash to get past. More disco dogs and a disco truck towing a broken bus.
    What's the name for the noise a pheasant makes?
  • Nice moves, JT. Unsure of the name of a pheasant call, but the collective noun is a bouquet -  rather nice I think :)
    I run, therefore I am.
  • 4 miles at 6.30 am with legs like lead.
    Nice running all
  • Bad luck on your PB Nessie.  I guess we have to sometimes accept the conditions as they are.  If you trained hard and did your best on race day then there is nothing more you personally could have done.

Ouch to the shin splints swittle..

Did my Tuesday trot yesterday evening, needed gloves and hat for -2 degrees.  However our group leader had new shoes on so I worked up a sweat trying to keep up!   
  • Always being one who is happy to plod, I made myself do a bit of what could loosely be termed 'speedwork' tonight. Three laps of 1.6 miles with a couple of decent inclines in, increasing the pace each time by about 15 secs a mile. Enjoyed the push and it was a good exercise in pace control. 2 weeks till my Festive Half and feeling not too bad at all.

Happy running, MLRers!
    I run, therefore I am.