Things you want to say but can't

Comments

• Nessie said:
    Lots of good reviews. I'm going to give it a go, even though it's not my usual genre. :) 
    Nice one, hope you enjoy it :)
  • Dear friend: clearly you are really upset about Kevin Spacey. I think a lot of people are, he is a terrific actor after all. 

But he is clearly, also, a fucking creep. You are defending a guy that threw himself onto a 14 year old boy and, apparently, gets his dick out in front of young men on a regular basis. 
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    and, apparently, gets his dick out in front of young men on a regular basis. 
    You do realise he is gay?
  • ScreamapillarScreamapillar ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    skotty said:
    and, apparently, gets his dick out in front of young men on a regular basis. 
    You do realise he is gay?

You do know people, gay or straight, don't generally expose themselves to other people without some sort of consent, right? Especially not at work. 

• Dear Students,
    Your recycling bin is not for general rubbish. I would have thought someone who is supposedly intelligent would have known that.
    Maybe this is proof that educational standards really are slipping.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I know you've fond memories of your first job with the elderly boss who dropped his pencil next to female staff so he could bend down and look up their skirts. But that doesn't mean all sexual harassment allegations are "political correctness" or have anything to do with "women now get upset if a man holds a door for them." What a load of shit on so many levels. But you're my mum so...
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    There are days when I'd quite like to shoot a whole load of people.
  • JT141 said:
    There are days when I'd quite like to shoot a whole load of people.
    This is why gun control works!  :D
  • There's something I want to say but can't find the words for.  There'll be a lot of black and yellow around tomorrow
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    There was and it was great to see you there. Sad day  :(
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    That thing you've done with your moped which makes it sound like a fly in a bottle audible from quarter of a mile away, stop it. Oh, and fuck off.
  • MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a baby.  Yes, it's very small.  Yes, I did make it out of the house, and have been doing for the last four weeks.  You don't actually HAVE to stay in your pants in the house for six weeks, it is possible to choose to get dressed and go out and at least partially function like a human being.
  • Due to all the sexual harassment claims, i'm wary of saying 'Hello' these days!
  • It would be nice if, just once, a dictator who is well past his sell by date could scrape together an ounce of dignity and bow out gracefully.
  • Dear Tesco, thank you very much for having Kalettes back, they're lovely :)
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Due to all the sexual harassment claims, i'm wary of saying 'Hello' these days!
    Given that actual sexual harassers rarely face consequences for their actions I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you routinely say hello while showing your cock you'll be fine.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    JT141 said:
    Due to all the sexual harassment claims, i'm wary of saying 'Hello' these days!
    Given that actual sexual harassers rarely face consequences for their actions I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you routinely say hello while showing your cock you'll be fine.
    Someone on another thread reckons that I am a 'cock'.
    I imagine this will cause me problems should I ever go out in public greeting people.

🙂

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    RicF said:
    Someone on another thread reckons that I am a 'cock'.
    That's harsh. A bit of a cock maybe. But the best bit.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Given a lot of the claims are for things that happened years ago  (when it was ahem, 'normal behaviour'),
    can someone enlighten me as to what I'm doing today that may be seen as harassment/Un-PC/Criminal in 20 years time?

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    The origin cases of Saville and Weinstein are clear cut. I can't think of any case in their wake that didn't demonstrate some degree of transgression, whether or not it crossed a legal boundary. So I don't understand why so many people struggle with what constitutes sexual harassment/assault/intimidation toward women. It's not as if people are complaining "how am I supposed to know if I'm sexually abusing my kids".
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    JT141 said:
    The origin cases of Saville and Weinstein are clear cut. I can't think of any case in their wake that didn't demonstrate some degree of transgression, whether or not it crossed a legal boundary. So I don't understand why so many people struggle with what constitutes sexual harassment/assault/intimidation toward women. It's not as if people are complaining "how am I supposed to know if I'm sexually abusing my kids".
    I did see a comment on Facebook under the #metoo banner where someone likened being asked 30 years ago during a job interview if she planned to have children to sexual intimidation.  While this is now (rightly) no longer allowed, to somehow equate every act of inequality to rape/sexual assault does no-one any favours.

Dustin - you must not look at anyone, male or female, lest they think it is a sexual advance.  If you happen to brush against someone, you must immediately apologise in case they feel intimidated or sexualised because that may leave them traumatised.  And never, ever, offer to make someone a cup of coffee.

If I went after anyone who had ever touched me, flirted with me or engaged in banter in a work setting, I'd spend the rest of my life in court.  And I wouldn't be married to the person I'm married to.  Of course no-one should be made to feel that their job is at risk if they don't give the boss a blow-job, but it is getting to a point where people are claiming to have been traumatised for 40 years because someone told a smutty joke.  That, to me, devalues the cases where there have been awful and sometimes horrific cases of physical and emotional abuse, where the victims are now less likely to be taken seriously.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of things have changed and still need to change in the workplace in relation to bullying and harrassment, whether sexually motivated, gender motivated, power motivated or for any other reason.  But not all transgressions are of a Savile/Weinstein nature and should not be dealt with as such.

*lights blue touch paper and retires*
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Nessie said:

Dustin - you must not look at anyone, male or female, lest they think it is a sexual advance.  If you happen to brush against someone, you must immediately apologise in case they feel intimidated or sexualised because that may leave them traumatised.  And never, ever, offer to make someone a cup of coffee.

If I went after anyone who had ever touched me, flirted with me or engaged in banter in a work setting, I'd spend the rest of my life in court.

*lights blue touch paper and retires*

Fizz fizz fizz BOOM!
    Ness, you'd spend no time in court unless the touching involved grabbing your genitals. I don't understand the clamour to trivialise sexual misconduct by crowbaring in false equivalents. There's a stubborn blindness to recognise a sensible boundary of conduct. The spotlight has been on cases of clear unwanted and forceful sexual contact, countered by arguments that take us down a road where everyday innocuous contact becomes forbidden because "someone" will take offence. Where is this happening? Recognition of sexual misconduct is not a slippery slope or a constraint on everyday life. No there is not a wave of trivial allegations. But yes people say stupid stuff on social media.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Dear Sainsbury's,  your Lemon Cake is very nice.  However, I do not need an instruction on the box stating "How to Cut"  - "Place cake on flat surface, and with a serrated knife, cut using a slow sawing action"

I'm 63 - I know how to cut a cake, FFS !!!  
  • Let all those that have been accused do what Jeremy Piven did Take a Lie detector Test , this proved him to be telling the truth, it might not be able to be used in Court in USA now , but it gives them a chance to discredit the accusor
  • I hate my job , a temporary thing has turned into a permanent situation, and it is so boring , it is worse than watching TOWIE and that programme make my blood boil
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Aww, come on JT - I'm allowed to exaggerate in here, aren't I? ;)

(Although there have been a few instances of genital/breast grabbing and unsolicited kissing amongst the knee touching and suggestive comments)

You are right, there should be a sensible boundary of conduct (aka Don't be a Dick), and most people abide by it, or are savvy enough to realise that they may have overstepped the mark with a comment or action and withdraw quickly with an apology. 

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I was at an old work's reunion do last week and over half the couples there met at work (including me and Mrs D). Some of those flirts and comments progressed into marriages that are now into their third decade.
    I guess we leave out the women (and probably some men) who "give head to get ahead" out of the equation. 

• If you don't understand what I mean when I say "the information isn't in the tab" then you shouldn't really be doing this job. Or any job. 
  • And you just did it again. I'm actually trying to find a way to re-phrase "completely thick" in a way that explains to my manager that you can't cope with basic communication.