Overdone it?

Comments

• Another good run Tommy. I reserve those long threshold sessions for parkruns or 10k race scenarios. They are much easier that way for reason of having less obstructions and navigation to worry about. I wouldn't particular relish 4m at threshold and on my own it'd probably degenerate to marathon effort.

31 miles ran this week, reasonably low efforts all round as a sore throat is bothering me. I have the Suicide Six on Sunday, muddy trails, hills and a stream crossing to deal with, and new Inov-8 shoes to break in. What could go wrong ?

Looking to get to 50-ish miles this week, with Sunday being a double, race+recovery, then a very easy week ahead of next Sunday's half.

Good luck to anyone else racing this weekend, otherwise enjoy your running as it turns cold again.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Still struggling with this cold. It seems to fade then come back (usually after a session).

Decent session Friday, 7 miles at 6.34 pace which is 'long tempo' pace. Then an easy 15 miler yesterday.

Should be receiving the outcome of the Berlin ballot this week.

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I ran the Suicide Six with head cold too DT (14th, 40.29 - 4 seconds slower than last year). My cold is also dithering about leaving me; I suspect that the continued running isn't helping. It's operating at a level that's just enough to have me feeling below par but not enough to justify a day off work. Having said all that, I got a lot out of the race this year. The ground was firmer than usual, rendering my Inov-8 studded soles a bit of overkill but I still enjoyed working around the course at a moderate half marathon effort. I was almost caught on camera too ...

No apologies for t-shirt and gloves - it was freezing !
  • Haha - I would get that photo framed Muddy! Too fast for the cameraman.

The running part of my life seems like it might be over - I had a recurrence of the foot thing (after one week of no running and then one run of 4 miles so I was not overdoing it) so obviously the stupid insole thingy didn't help but I've also now got a sore knee (other leg) so can't even test the foot out. I think my body is telling me it's time to withdraw gracefully and that's probably what I'm going to do.

I am considering walking the London Marathon just to say I've done it and enjoy the atmosphere but I'll annoy a lot of people just behind the GFA pen!!

Needles to say against this background I really can't be arsed to keep the TTT up to date.

The end of an era.

Best wishes to everyone

Skinny.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi Skinny, I'm sorry to read this.....you've almost made me well up! It just shows how quickly things can take a turn for the worse from being at a complete peak.

You'll still walk it as fast as many may run it and you can always push yourself back down the pens. It's pushing forward that is not allowed!

Good effort, Muddy and an 'excellent' photo of you!!

Interval session last night of a 400,600,800 then down pyramid. Legs felt a bit tired at first but soon loosened off. Was supposed to be doing 2 x 2 miles at Threshold today but felt that with Fridays session, sundays long run and last nights intervals I was pushing my luck. Plus I feel really groggy and tired as this cold continues to lie low inside me. Settled for 5 miles at recovery which came out at 7.54mm for sub 140 hr which was decent.

I am shoe horning this week as off to Lapland on Sunday for 4 days. Then I come back and have the usual pre-Christmas 10 miler on the Sunday week. The only distance I haven't raced/pb'd in this year so hoping to make it 7/7 for second year running.

• Noooooooo, don't go, Skinny!!! 
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Bloody shit !! 
    I'm going to hang on to the word 'probably' out of that lot and hope it's not terminal. Id like to think you'll have another crack after a winter of rest and a restored body come the spring.

Good Luck Skinny and let us know how you're doing before VLM. 
  • Sad news, Skinny.  I understand you giving up the TTT maintenance but please keep on posting here.  I'm already missing your witty comments.
  • Yeah Skinny, that is sad to hear that you're so dispirited by it all. I hope you leave the door open and keep testing the waters. It's annoying that the private medical profession hasn't been able to get to the bottom of it. I can't recall whether you had also tried the NHS route ?

In other news 3.5m at lunchtime yesterday, then 4 x 1 mile on an up and down circuit last night at hm effort was fun in the cold. I was surprised at the pace consistency, given the absolute nightmare of a hill that completed the mile circuit. Each rep came in around 6.02/6.03, the only blot being the 4th rep during which I gave way to a family on the footpath and lost a few seconds. Nearly 13 miles for the day and will now cool my boots for the half at the weekend, tapering with 6m tonight, 5m tomorrow, Friday off, then a 3m shakeout on Saturday morning. Too much perhaps ?
  • This is shit news, Skinny. As others have said hope you continue to post on here and also keep testing the foot out.

Muddy/DT - god sessions again. Is it the 10 mile race this weekend?

Mace - how's the comeback?

Pete - any races planned?

Lit -very quiet, got any races planned?

Still ticking along here. 10 miles in the freezing sleet at ~MP last night. Felt fairly comfortable apart from the sections into the horrendous headwind. Planning on my first XC race of the season on Saturday and my first proper race since September I think.    

• That was another fine run last night Tommy. Good luck in the cross country. The ground should be firm at least ! The 10 mile race is next weekend - not sure if I'll do it, as I'm doing a half this weekend, and it will depend on recovery from that.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Good luck in the xc, Tommy and for your half, Muddy.

Yesterday I was meant to do 2 x 2 miles at short tempo pace, which is 6.10-6.15. I slaughtered myself in the first mile to hold on to pace against a very strong headwind (6.07) that by the end of mile 2 (6.19) I was hammered. The best I could do was persuade myself to do 1 more mile which came out a pretty speedy 5.55. With hindsight I should have finished the session.

Going to hopefully do some mp miles over lunch then a 17 miler planned for tomorrow morning before a few days holiday.

No news yet on Berlin, despite the fact that they have been sending outcome e-mails since midday yesterday. Hope is fading!!

• macemace ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Tommy - taking a bit of a rest this week, really busy at work and home and i felt bollarxed after 4 weeks around 50 miles. A sort of taper but without a race at the end  ;) Certainly not keen to be doing 10 miles at MP in this weather so fair play to you.

DT - "short tempo" ? I can just about cope with Pete chucking km's in  :p
  • Hi Tommy! Sorry, demands of work and relationships mean less dicking-about-on-the-internet time. Turns out people like it if you talk at mealtimes instead of foruming. Also work is insane. No races planned except xc, but I have just entered London again.
  • literatin said:
    Hi Tommy! Sorry, demands of ....... relationships mean less dicking-about-on-the-internet time. 
    Stick to one and you'll have time for dicking-about-on-the-internet.

(I'll keep an eye on you all and thanks for the well wishes)
  • Muddy - hope the HM went well.

DT - any news on Berlin,  I know a couple of people who've got in.

So, my first XC of the season yesterday and first race since September. 6 hilly and muddy miles round Shipley Country Park, the course is effectively 3 laps although the first lap is marginally shorter and misses a hill. My plan was to start steady and then try and pick it up as the race progressed, however, I then remembered that you need to get a decent start as the course narrows after about 200 yards to pass through ha 5 bar gate so getting a decent star tis quite important.

I managed to get away reasonably well and through the gate without too many problems, after about half a mile and going up the first hill, everything had settled down a bit so had chance to look around a bit and see who was around, turned out I was running with a couple of club mates who are a bit quicker than me along with a few people I recognised who would usually finish ahead of me. However, I felt ok so decided to try and stick around and that's pretty much what I did for the next 5 miles before losing a bit of ground in the last half a mile or so before recovering to take back a couple of places on the gruelling uphill finish where it felt like I was running slower than anybody has ever ran previously. Managed to hold off a lad from another club who's previously ran ~17 mins for parkrun but is recovering from injury which has kept him out for a while so he's not in that sort of form at the minute Finished in 43 mins dead so a shade over 7 minute miling which doesn't sound too impressive but I think the front guys were over 6 min/mile on so gives an idea of how tough the course was. That's a couple of minutes quicker than my previous best there but more encouragingly (for me) I was about 30 places higher than I usually finish in this league, (almost managed to squeeze in to the top 100).

Will keep ticking along and hopefully end the year with a parkrun PB.  

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well done, Tommy. I'm unlikely to make a xc until January. I was reading January's runners world today and there was a discussion of xc and how to attack it. The general view is that a fast and ferocious start is what the pros do, then hang onto position. 

No luck with Berlin. I followed the fb page. Basically Thursday results were 80/20 yes then Friday was reversed so having not heard anything by bed time Friday I was sure I was not in luck. Had a rejection small hours Saturday. There is another change on Thursday morning where 1000 places are up for grabs first come first served. Problem is I've got it in my head I want to run a foreign Autumn Mara now, so contemplating Amsterdam. 

Training, I've had 3 tough days following Thursday short tempo with a long tempo Friday. Reduced it from 7 to 5 miles though. Target is 6.35-6.40 for 165 bpm. Came out 6.29 for 162 which was pretty decent to say the least. 

Followed that Saturday morning with an easy 17 miles which was largely comfortable. I got a bit tired towards end but that'll come.

Flew to Lapland at 6am this morning so been up since 3. It's 2 hours ahead of UK so sat in bed now with a beer. It's 8.50 Euro for a local large beer. We shared a bottle of wine over dinner and cheapest was 32 Euro for what would be a £15 house wine in UK. Not a drinkers break for sure!
    edited December 2017
    Sounds like a very good run that Tommy.

DT - that sequence of runs sounds mad. Never in a month of Sundays would I manage that. But well done, all the same.

The half this morning was so-so, although I came in 4th in 1.17.56, perception is everything, and in terms of perceived effort I was struggling at 3 miles and suffering at 5. It was a long drawn out affair from then on with much gritting of the teeth and constant words with myself. Effort was quite subdued compared to normal half effort and it never felt like I had much flow to my running. Fatigue kicked in really early, and the miles ticked by painfully slowly. I was in 4th from about 4 miles in, then managed to take 3rd briefly for a mile at 11 and a bit miles. Half a mile from the finish, I couldn’t find a response when a young lad went past, and that was that.

I finished first vet and must have been perceived as one of those metrosexual types as I received a bottle of wine (white), an exfoliating mitt, and a pack of exfoliating cleansing wipes. Either that or the lady vets winner received a tub of brylcreem and a shaving brush set.

Pete - I should have done the 5k ...won in 18 flat.
  • Well done Muddy - you were second last year, is that right? What time did you run last year?

Similar conditions?

Enjoy Lapland DT - I can't imagine anyone travels to Lapland at this time of year to get pissed anyhow!

Good XCing Tommy, surely 'That's a couple of minutes quicker than my previous best' is about all you can gauge a XC performance on?
  • Skinny - last year was 1.18.01 for av hr 162 for 2nd (av. stride length 1.52m); this year 1.17.56 for av hr 157 (av. stride length 1.46m) which tallies with my perception of not really flowing properly and the effort not coming easily.

Conditions were practically identical, though the course was different and I measured it about 0.1m longer. They didn't take us out to the quays this time, and so we shuttled back and forth on the walkway. The turnaround point at mile 11 was a bloke stood in the path that we had to run around.

I was wondering whether Friend of Skinny might have been running it ?

Here's my finish photo:

Much pain, though strangely today I don't feel that battered by the experience, despite the absence of a cooldown run and a _long_ drive back.

• Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I see the guy who won it in 73 mins was 4th last year in 79 mins - was he maybe the guy who was running in the kagoule last year?

Friend of Skinny didn't run.

Did the change of route mean you had to go uphill a bit towards the end before turning round and going back down hill? (like a short repeat version of the first 6 or 7 miles? 

Anyhow nice consistency in the times and the rest is just nonsense anyhow isn't it  :D
  • Yes, that's the same chap. I thought he was overdressed yesterday with long sleeve top and vest too :) Didn't seem to stop him though ! I follow him on Strava and he has improved incredibly over the last year. His training is really, really hard. He ran well sub 16 for 5k recently too. Very talented youngster.

The profile is here - the uphill part of the course remained, on that narrow stretch of path up towards where the Lune loops around. We started off going in the opposite direction to last year - out and back for 5k before picking up the route out to uphill section, under the motorway bridges and through the tunnel etc.
  • Hahaha - I look at that profile and I am embarrassed to have suggested there is an uphill bit - however there is a definite rise in the ground (I guess in the new route that would be miles 6 to 9?).
  • Yeah I do more climbing running to the top of my road (about a quarter of a mile) ! Most of the rise was between 3.5 and 5, then it's kind of slightly bumpy for 5k, then back down at mile 8. The roadside part was a bit more  cumbersome than I remembered but I liked the return path against the flow of other runners where people were genuinely encouraging. That helps me remember why I have extra distance - I recall I took a fork in the path which eventually joined the walkway again - I must have taken the long way round as I could see runners on another path nearly parallel to mine.
  • Well done Muddy - you were second last year, is that right? What time did you run last year?

Similar conditions?

Enjoy Lapland DT - I can't imagine anyone travels to Lapland at this time of year to get pissed anyhow!

Good XCing Tommy, surely 'That's a couple of minutes quicker than my previous best' is about all you can gauge a XC performance on?

Skinny - yes I guess so, although last time I did it I remember it was blowing a gale which made it even tougher going.

DT -  enjoy Lapland!

Muddy - seems like a decent performance to me but sounds like you found it tough going.

Was just looking at the results from a new marathon which took place in Nottingham yesterday, which involved doing 8 laps of the rowing lake where my running club is based, which sounds mentally tough but must be the flattest marathon in the UK. Anyway, first and second finished a mere two seconds apart which must have made for good viewing. 

My hip is feeling a bit sore today and generally feeling a bit knackered so will have an easier week before picking it up again next week.  

• Good running from Tommy, muddy and DT!  You are carrying the race torch for the thread between you.   Hope you are all recovering well from your exertions.

To answer Tommy's earlier question, I keep trying to gee myself up for a race but have often found that I just don't fancy the session or have found it difficult to hit the paces. So today I decided to try some shorter, faster stuff.  Plan was 3 (possibly 5) x 600m at 5k pace off 90s.  Again found it hard to hit the pace but, for a change, I was too quick!  Only managed 3 reps but at a mean pace of 4:10 per km.  For comparison, my pb pace is 4:18.  Oops!  Next session I will try to slow down a touch and do 5 reps.  There's a 5k race in Lancaster on the 16th but I suspect my next "timed run" will be on Christmas Day with the family.
  • Sounds encouraging Pete. I can relate to not fancying the sessions, hence my two month or so period of basically just running about.

Still feeling a bit knackered and have been mega busy with work so I haven't ran a yard since Sunday. Considering having a full week for the first time in as long as I can remember.  

edited December 2017
    Tommy - Sure the rest will do you good. It's a difficult time of year with work/social/viruses all intruding.

Pete - I hope you feel minded to race a bit, especially off the back of those reps at 3k pace ;) For what it's worth the first part of the half on Sunday was on the 5k route - in fact the 5k race set off simultaneously. I can confirm that it is likely to be very fast - it is an out and back and the turn point is a large loop of path so there isn't much cause for drastic slowing down. The only potential issue would be congestion at the start as the footpath is narrow.
  • It is definitely very fast :)  I set my 10k pb there doing 2 laps of the 5k course. This included drastic slowing down at the halfway mark to turn 180 degrees round a cone but the 5k avoids that.  Seems a lifetime since the Mrs and I both raced there in March! I wouldn't need to worry about congestion, I'd be slowing others down, but it might well be an issue for you unless you muscled your way onto the front row.
  • Ended up having a full week off which has hopefully freshened me up a bit. Managed an easy 6 miles with the club last night. Will hopefully manage a couple of similar runs between now and Saturday and will then give a flat parkrun a go and see where I'm at.

Loads of races cancelled last weekend including the 10 miler which DT and Muddy were due to race.

Hope everyone else is managing to keep going despite the weather.