Snowdonia Marathon 2018

Comments

• Interesting reading those split times John. They kind of confirm a suspicion I had that I may have set out too steady early on. Some of those early splits are half a minute or more quicker than mine but then I have some splits that are quicker later on. 

Mine were 

6.22, 6.35, 7.08, 7.26, 7.20, 5.47, 5.59, 6.17, 6.32, 6.21, 6.31, 6.19, 6.14, 7.14, 7.29, 6.34, 6.12, 6.32, 6.27, 6.44, 6.23, 7.02, 8.54, 8.12, 6.47, 5.54 last little bit.. 4.41

In terms of HRM I find that mine sometimes plays up early on. That is until the pads on it get wet when i've sweated a little. I have some seriously random readings off it at times. I actually had to take mine off and tighten it at SNOD. After about a mile it was sat down my belly.. :smiley: 

• TR22- Would have been great if you had your heart rates as well.  In my humble opinion i reckon you ran the perfect race.

Your splits look really even. The way you climbed the last hill was strong and to finish at 4.41 pace?!! Blimey.

Maybe you could have gone faster? But at what price? You knew your target and executed it well.

I should have just gone for my 3.30 target and not aimed for faster, i paid the price!
  • My initial 2p worth TR22 would be I reckon you could have run the 1st 2 miles a minute quicker and the track section 1.5mins quicker without taking anything out of your legs - I think more runners run the track section too slowly rather than too quickly. You've got more experience now and with another good year under your belt I'm sure you'll be in good stead to crack 2.50!
  • Ralph - I haven't had much chance to speak to Laurent - I know he was going to do a podcast about his Snowdonia marathon experience which should be a good listen.
  • TrailRunner22TrailRunner22 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Yes John. I certainly felt I took the track section steady. Not intentionally though. The unevenness of it played its part there I think. Hopefully with another year of hard graft I'll be ready for a sub 2.50 attempt. I always seem to start a little steadier than I should and finish strongly. It's the way I've always been.. 

Ralph I got a screenshot of HR info. Ignore the big spike at the start. That's when the thing fell down and was Sat around my gut... ?

Blimey! Sorry about the size of it! Hahah. Did it on my phone... wasn't expecting it to take over the thread!

• Tr22- having suffered from occasional spikes on heart rate. I can recommend washing strap very frequently and licking the contact points! A good dose of saliva... Never a problem. 

Your average heart rate is similar to mine, 168 compared to my 166. Your max 248! Bumped it up a bit!

Obviously your paces are much quicker than mine at a similar heart rate. Very impressive.

John- looking forward to Laurent's podcast. 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Thought I'd ask this question on here - perhaps John B could answer, please?   Is the 'other' Snowdonia marathon some on here do called the Salomon Trail Marathon Wales?

If so do you suppose a new ultra in 2018 by the same organisers is likely to be good?  It starts in Dolgellau, takes in the summits of Cader Idris and Diffwys (in the Rhinogau) before heading into the Coed y Brenin forest. A tough one by the looks of it.
  • T Rex. I think the one Snowdonia marathon people mostly refer to on here is the trail one that starts in LLanberis and actually goes up Snowdon. It is run by always aim high events. The one you're talking about I believe is the one based in Coed Y Brenin (which has beeen mentioned on here too but to a lesser extent) I have done the half and a few other events in Cyb and the organisation of these events is excellent. Cyb is beautiful and one of my favourite places to run. It's just a shame its a 3 and a half hour drive :(
  • TRex - simply to echo what TR22 said. I've only heard positive things from the participators re AAH events

I'd say all the Run Coed y Brenin events are excellent - top notch organisation - the main organiser is Matt Ward who is the PA at Snowdonia (& also features on the S4C programme) - they really care about putting on a cracking event

• Not even the end of November, and already entered SNOD 2018! (Thanks to the early entry offered in exchange for taking part in a survey/study) will seem strange not frantically trying to get an entry in on New Years Eve (or 1st December as i think it now is)
  • Really pleased for you MC hilly.
    I would have had my early entry code to use too.
    Unfortunately I have had some sombre news regarding my ongoing heart problems. On advice from the cardiologist he has strongly advised that I stop running Marathon's. Went to see him on Friday to discuss my test results and I thoroughly expected to get the all clear. He left me under no illusions about what I could expect if I carry on marathon training. Gutted, absolutely so..... As the training as been as much therapy for me as anything else over the last couple of years. It's going to be difficult cutting the miles right down but I have no choice. I have a young boy of 2.5 and I don't want to risk it. 
    I would love to still be involved with the forum and hear about all your achievements. He has told me I can still run but to focus on the shorter distances would be sensible. I had really set my sights on sub 3.15 Manchester and maybe a sub 3.20 Snowdon next time round. Not to be, so 2017 were my last Marathon's and I saved the best till last. 
  • Wow Ralph. That's gutting news. I feel for you!  As you said though you have a little boy and he must be a priority. At least you have the memories and can say you did it. Many people never even get to the start line. Definitely stick around the forum!

Well done on the entry McHilly. Friday is going to be expensive for me. There's a couple of local races that open for entry which fill up within minutes. As well as SNOD. Will have to hide this months bank statements when they arrive.  
  • Ralph, my best wishes to you for the future.

Another here that's already entered for next years....  :smiley:

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • So sorry to hear your news Ralph - small mercy I guess that it was picked up now. Hopefully you will be able to carry on with your running and take part in a few events. I can't help think that following the Maff approach was the best thing you could have done given your apparent underlying condition. All the very best!

I didn't do the Bangor Uni survey (I would have done to support them as my son is hoping to go there next year) - apparently I was too old!! However I correctly guessed the winning time for the recent Conwy half marathon and, as a result, I've won a place in next year's Snowdonia marathon. I guess that's one less thing to worry about on the 1st of December!?

• Thanks for your kind words folks.
    Just a bit disappointing that i won't be able to participate in another marathon, but it's not the end of the world and there are many other things to focus on.

As you mentioned John you would have thought that the Maff approach would be the safest way to train.
    From what the cardiologist has said it is more the chronic effects of not giving the heart chance to recover from the training and the marathons.

Obviously the levels of training people can handle varies enormously, maybe for me the Maff approach and the 200 miles a month was just too much for my ticker to handle. I have to say i never physically burn't out with this approach and was making good progress with my times.

The doc said that he has seen these arrhythmia's a lot in endurance types.
    Well done Chimney and John for getting your places sorted so early. I would give my place to someone on here if i could do it but apparently its not allowed.
  • Ralph, really sorry to hear you have been advised to end your marathon running after making such a swift and impressive recovery from your initial scare last year. Hopefully you can use your obvious talent over the sorter distances instead. Please keep posting, looking forward to hearing about you smashing a few 10k PBs.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    ralph so so sorry to hear your news but as you say with a young child you cannot risk it. Hope to see how you get on with the short stuff 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Ralph, sorry to hear that news, it must be really frustrating to be told no more training for long runs, especially when you've just done so well in Snowdonia, but agree that not to take the experts advice isn't worth the risk. Look forward to you posting about some of your shorter runs in future
  • So - everyone ready for registration tomorrow?
  • Got my place via the spit donation programme so for once I can relax.
  • I'm ready to register.. I think entries will fill up quicker than ever with the new sign up time. There seems to be loads of people already in the race.. Hope there's enough space for me. 
  • Well that was chaos! 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    was mad but I am in and also the royal Victoria let me know I do have a room!!!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Stressful!  Couldn't log in and then 1400th in queue.  Crashed half way through, saying 'error on form' (not specified) and password didn't work to get back in, so had to re-set and wait for email ...   All the usual website nonsense.

Anyway I'm in!
  • Ralph, really sorry to hear your news, but hope you can still enjoy the shorter events.
    I managed to get in this morning after a lot of hanging around. I just want to point out to anyone who doesn't manage to get a place that there will be scores of them around in September- there is every year.
  • Thanks folks. Was so tempted to get a place but sensible head took over.

Well done to everyone who managed to secure a place.  I look forward to seeing T Rex's list taking shape.
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear your news Ralph. However it is good that you now have this information I imagine.

I decided to give my spit sample link and queue this morning a miss. Just too far ahead to plan - can always get one nearer the time on Facebook.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Can't remember what your condition is, Ralph, but I guess you should listen to your cardiologist!  I suppose it is all about keeping your heart rate below certain levels?  (In which case you would be better slow and long I would have thought ...)

We'd all like you to stay on the thread and keep us posted with what you're doing.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hmm - there isn't the usual chorus of 'I'm in' so I hope all the usual suspects as well as lots of newbies did all get in.
  • Middle of night madness in Minnesota but i’m In. See y’all in October. I WILL train this time.