Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's good that you had the injection straight away, much more efficient way to treat folk rather than this 'make another appointment malarkey'.    Your trip to Spain will do you good, a bit of warmer weather to relax should help with your rehab.

Jelly - hope you're OK after your fall.  That bridge often has ice on it, it's so high up and catches the frost.  Good idea to forget the bike until the better weather and lighter evenings, we only have 3 weeks to the shortest day and then gradually we should start getting lighter evenings, but not worth the risk of falling if the weather is bad.   You're training for your first ultra and we need to keep you in one piece.

Big G - well that's a really promising and reassuring conversation you had with the Asics chap.   I had a quick look at the Esquire magazine and as it's aimed at men then your story may be so helpful to others in a similar situation.   Men are generally less likely to look for support when they need it.   Hope you get chosen.

mamafox - you're still on the DD list for 2019 :)

Sorry to hear the knee has swollen up so much but that's probably to be expected, I hope it starts to become more comfortable soon

I'm loving my Pilates, our instructor can be quite spontaneous and we seem to do something different every class.   She's just been on a course in this  https://roncametrics.com/ but not sure if she's only doing classes at her own studio or will incorporate some of it in our classes, I don't really want to pay for private classes.

Re your Garmin, I've had that happen a couple of times and I've changed the battery in the chest strap and then it seemed to be OK again.   It may have just coincided with your dizzy spell and then seeing the low HR would make you really concerned making you feel worse.

My winter training is just steady build of miles all at BT pace, I'll probably do a Hadd test around Xmas time to assess how things are going.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm following 3 Irish runners in the Marathon des Sables Peru, 2 of them I know.   They've completed the first day, but at the end of Day 1 there are 9 abandonments including 2 Brits, it must be a tough race.  €2,000 entry fee and having to pull out after Day 1 must be hard to deal with, there were even a few that didn't finish the first day.   
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Marathon List 

13th March
    Enigma - Milton Keynes
    Big G - PB 3:54:17   

2nd April
    Manchester
    Cal - PB 4:29:29  
    Ian5 -  4:29
    Steve -  PB 3:10:15  
    NickW2 - PB 3:24:59  

9th April
    Paris
    SuzSaville82 - PB 4:26  
    Rotterdam
    Emmy 4:42
    Brighton
    Louey  - 4:24:45

23rd April
    London
    Big G - 4:00:59
    Iain Love - 2:57:49
    Slowkoala - 3:12:43
    Southampton
    Jugula - 4:21

29th April
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:29
    Shades - 5:01

7th May
    Great Welsh
    Shades - 4:44:12

13th May
    Marathon de Blaye 
    mamafox - 3:40 - 3rd place and she did win the wine  

14th May
    Hereford
    Shades - 4:45:59

21st May
    Worcester
    Shades - 4:53:46
    Leiden
    Big G - 3:54:25
    Emmy - 4:42:59 (including beer stops)

27th May
    Saturday Night
    Iain - 3:20:45 Winner   

28th May
    Liverpool
    Cal - 4:37:52
    Dorchester
    Shades - 4:56:16

3rd June
    Dartmoor Discovery
    Shades  - PB 6:32:17 

11th June
    Yeovil Marathon
    Shades - 5:13

15th June
    Dorney Lake 6 Hour
    Shades - 5:29:59  B 

18th June
    Enigma Clueless
    Big G - 5:09:58 B

24th June
    Giantshead
    Emmy - 5:56

24th/25th June
    Harp 24
    mowzer - 28 miles

25th June
    Boddington Marathon
    Shades - 4:59:57

2nd July
    Wirral Ultra
    Ian5 - PB 7:01 

9th July
    LDWA From Here to There
    mowzer 9:06

15th July
    Chiltern Challenge 50km
    Steve - PB 5:06 

23rd July
    Ironman Marathon
    Iain - 3:29:54

29th July
    Enigma Planes
    Big G - 4:35

6th August
    Gloucester
    Big G - 3:58:10

12th August
    SVP 100km
    Steve -  PB 12:22 

13th August
    mowzer - 7:50

Isle of Man
    Shades - 4:59:06

3rd September
    City to Sea 
    Big G - 5:28:53

14th September
    Dorney Lake 
    Big G - 4:14:12

17th September
    Lancaster
    Ian -  PB 3:34:41 

24th September
    Loch Ness
    Shades 5:06:10

1st October
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:44:59

8th October 
    Chester
    Ian - PB 3:31:26 

Munich
    Big G - PB 3:42:38 

Yorkshire
    Lily - PB 5:07:15 

15th October
    Birmingham
    Steve - 3:18:47
    John - PB 4:43:52 
    Jelly - PB 4:06:20 

Burton Bradstock
    Big G - 3:54:24S
    Shades - 5:15:07

22nd October
    Marine Corps Marathon
    Emmy - 5:00:09

Abingdon
    Big G - 3:48:44

29th October
    Dartmoor Vale
    Jelly - 4:11:48
    Big G - 3:57:08

3rd November
    Halloween 
    Big G - 3:55

4th November
    Halloween
    Big G - 4:05

11th November
    Phoenix Remembrance
    Iain - 3:10:41 Winner   

12th November
    Phoenix Jurassic
    Iain - 29.7 miles 4:34

19th November
    Cornish
    Big G - 3:57:50
    Shades - 5:21:42

26th November
    La Rochelle
    mamafox - 3:38:01

3rd December
    Nottingham Christmas
    Big G

9th December
    Enigma Christmas
    Big G

19th December
    Enigma Christmas
    Big G
  • mamafox - not sure actually - sometimes they work right away, sometimes it takes a few days.
    There's an MdS Peru? Didn't know that! And yeah, $2K...plus flights and accomodation. There's me worried about my Manchester £45! Perspectives, I guess.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It's the first time the MdS Peru and it's 2,000 euro not dollars!

http://marathondessables.com/en/marathon-des-sables-peru/race

They don't have to pay for accommodation, they give you a tent :#

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hi Shades, not sure if you saw my other post, but I've finished Davey's book.  Any objection on if I post an amusing paragraph about you from the book?

I did a short run this morning (3.5 miles), and I'm planning on doing the club session tonight as it's one of my favourites - 4x1m efforts.  It was still quite cold out there when I went out at around 11am (especially in the shade), but it was a nice run.  I'm eking out the last few miles from a pair of training shoes, so I'm just using them for short runs now.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - sorry, I did miss that post.

No go ahead and post the piece, if it's the piece I think it is he's got the story a bit wrong but I've found that is just Davey.   On his website he has some comments about his races, including a quote from me.  I did compliment them on the race but that certainly wasn't my quote!

He does write an entertaining book doesn't he?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades :)  Yeah, it was a good book.

Okay Shadies.  Here is an inspirational passage from Davey Green's book (about the 10in10 event he completed), which mentions Shades.  Take from it what you like :)  Shades can confirm or deny the details as she sees fit...  

The first drinks station was a happy place to be because Sue and Paul Adams were waiting there for me with Shades, another 2008 10in10 finisher, whom I had briefly met at Nottingham Marathon in September.  Legend has it that Shades was the one that upset some locals on the far side of the lake when she had decided to pop over someone's fence to have a wee in their garden.

Apparently, they were having a brand new Rolls Royce delivered and a long procession of expensive vehicles all turned up on the driveway whilst Shades suddenly appeared from the bushes, in front of the gobsmacked entourage, and ran away as fast as she could.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I will leave the story as it is, his version is more entertaining.

But we did used to have 'favourite pee stops' and mine was on millionaire's row as you head into Bowness

• mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    mamafox - I didn't for one minute think you were making anything up. I think we all 'know' you well enough now to know that your life isn't exactly 'normal'. No dull moments in your house ;) - and I love reading about your adventures.

Big G -sounds like a good deal, especially as you can pull out at any time.

Cal - hope the injection and physio get you sorted soon.

Biking is most definitely dangerous  :#
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    MDS Peru sounds amazing,good luck to your friends and everyone else doing it.
    Jelly-Good choice on retiring the bike I think.
    Big G-That sounds really promising from what the guy said,hopefully it all goes well and great you can pull out if you feel the need.
    Cal-Hopefully you're finally on the mend.
    Mama-Hope you recover soon,still in awe that you finished so well.
    As for me,meant to be a club night tonight,but felt my groin a bit on Monday,felt ok yesterday but been struggling a bit all day so having a rest couple of days to ease it hopefully.
  • Lol Shades, we’ve all been there!

Big G - that article sounds worth doing and you could use the payment to fund an overseas marathon. I’m sure Claire would be proud of all the work you’re doing with WAY and your story will be really inspiring.

Cal - good to hear that you seem to have a diagnosis at last. I really hope the steroids help you get back on track. I’ve a similar issue with pronation that I’ve had since I was a child. One Physio advised that orthotics were the best option as my body has been working quite efficiently like that for a long time and it’s tricky to retrain it. But I’d rather try and strengthen things so they work better. I think one legged squats really help.

MF - I hope Garmin can sort out your watch. There’s a good FB group for buying/selling running stuff and there are lots of watches right now as folks buying new ones for Christmas.

Ian - hope the groin improves.

I did my fitness class on Monday and the coach said at the end that I wasn’t running properly on my left side and that everything looked very tight. I said I had a race (5 miles) on Sunday and he said he’ll tell the massage woman I go to (who he works with) what she can do to help so I have booked that for Friday. He also said I should have a 2-week break from running to try and fix the PF. From what I’ve experienced and what I’ve read I’m not convinced this will help but I might consider this. But I’m not sure I could survive Christmas not running!
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Tonight's run went well with no knee pain, not sure ? how it will be tomorrow once bruise comes out. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mowzer - I'm making rice pudding today, I always think of you on your LDWA events scoffing rice pudding.   I found some pudding rice that needed to be used up and made a pudding last week, don't think I'd ever eat tin rice pudding again, it was lovely.   Good winter fare.

Ian - hope that groin niggle clears quickly so you're ready for your club race on Sunday.

SK - I agree with you, I'm not a fan of orthotics except as a temporary measure as it can take a long time to strengthen specific parts of our body and to effectively change our gait too.  Many runners have orthotics for a while and then discard them later on and manage very well as long as they're careful with their shoe choice.

If you have no races planned then taking 2 weeks off might be a good idea.  If you plan the 2 weeks deliberately to do stuff that you often don't have time for, catch up with friends, Xmas shopping, then maybe it won't seem such a penance.   Trouble with PF it can vary so much from runner to runner.  

Jelly - that's good news that your fall didn't stop you running.

Cold again this morning but not as bad as yesterday.  Nasty sharp NW breeze but at least that has dried all the pavements and I could run today without having to look out for any ice.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just checking how my friends are doing at MdeS Peru.   They're doing well, one Irish guy is in 24th place and my two friends are in 60th and 71st places.   It must be tough, another 40 runners have pulled out after Stage 2 including another 2 Brits. 233 runners left.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I did the 4x1m interval session last night and was fairly consistent, although I did flag a bit on the last one.  There was a group of three of us all pushing each other on, and it was a good session.  It was cold at the start but I soon warmed up.

We should find out about the Berlin Marathon lottery results from today....!
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Shadies,

Ian - careful not to overdo it with your groin.

SK - Like Shades said you'd have to find something else to keep you busy if you took a short break from running to stop you going mad haha.

Jelly - hope the knee sorts itself out

Shades - must be very cold running early in the mornings at the moment, I've had to wrap up a lot on my bike and I don't leave home till about 8am. Well done to your friends so far on MdS Peru. One of my friends at my running club is down to do MdS next year, sounds like a very tough event.

Just about managed to get to my club run last night, and glad I did as I had a really good run. I couldn't decide whether to take it easy or really push it, kind of did in between which probably isn't the best for training. Ended up with 8.1 miles at 7:22 average pace, but felt fairly comfortable with the pace all the way round and pushed on a bit towards the end which was very pleasing as it's pretty much my half PB pace.

It's always the fastest of the 4 winter routes we do as it's the only one without any steep hills, but even so I was very pleased with the pace for the perceived effort, as well as the consistency - there were a couple of minor hills but using Strava's GAP the splits were 7:24, 7:20, 7:29, 7:21, 7:30, 7:08, 7:18, 7:17, then sub-6 min mile pace for the last 0.1 as I did a couple of strides.

In the New Forest this weekend, not sure if I will get out for any runs or not, though we are taking the running buggy :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - must have been all that cake that made you flag on the last interval ;)

Fingers crossed for the ballot results.

Nick - Very good splits from your run last night, you're running well.  I think it's going to be a bit warmer this weekend so might be better for a buggy run.

It is cold in the morning, but I'd rather run when the traffic is light, for most of my runs at that time I can hop between the pavement and road, if it's icy or uneven surfaces I can choose the best bit to run on.

MdeS is not for me, one of the guys doing the Peru event asked me if I wanted to do MdeS, he did the 10 in 10 with me and then he went onto do MdeS twice.  His ultimate goal is to do Badwater, he likes the heat. B)

Another challenging Pilates class, was good though

• Hi All
    Oh wow I just looked into MdeS race. That is an unbelievable challenge.
    One marathon that would be on my tick list should the opportunity present itself, is the North Pole Marathon. Something about it fascinates me and looks like a real challenge. 

The more I read everyone's threads, the more I want to run. Being signed up to Brighton in April almost doesn't feel enough for me now. However, one step at a time! 

Also I'm after a recommendation for a nutritionist. I suffer from IBS and despite many trips to the Dr's I am still none the wiser. I'm also convinced it affects my running, so I feel that it would be good to try and finally get a grip of it. As many of you seem to put your bodies through extreme stress, I was wondering if you have ever sat down and chatted to a nutritionist. 
    I understand whats good to eat, what to avoid etc. Just want to try and get understanding of how certain foods and exercise can impact the body. 

For example, some nights when I run the first few miles all feel great. I would be taking it easy but all of a sudden I crash. My legs and arms feel like jelly, i feel dizzy and I just generally do not feel with it. I persevere for a 10 mins or so, and then I seem to get back into a rhythm. Curious if it's something to do with sugars, or maybe just fatigue and not enough Carbs the day before. Anyone be good to chat to someone in the know.

Tue 6 miles @ 9:44min/mile
    Wed 5.5 miles @ 9:48min/mile

Pace is coming down nicely, don't feel too clunky now  :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    OTB - I hate running in the cold and don't race in this country so there's no way I'd consider the North Pole!

No need to rush to enter another marathon yet, but they are addictive :)

I can't help re a nutritionist, maybe start a new thread and ask there.  Obviously if you have IBS it's even more important that you are careful with what you eat and running has a reputation for causing GI issues anyway.   I think for most of us it's been a case of trial and error what we can eat to keep us well and fuelled for our runs and races.   I did once have a long chat to one of the instructors at the gym when I was having my induction and he went through what I eat and his recommendations.  Probably the only part of that that I have continued to follow was to eat more protein than I had been, keeps me fuller for longer so I don't get that hungry and tired feeling in between meals.   But we're all different, I do try and eat healthily most of the time.

It does sound like you have a brief energy crisis so maybe try eating a small snack 90 minutes before your run and see if that helps.

That's good news on the pacing, seems like you're starting to enjoy it to.

• Evening shadies.

definitely feels like winter is apon us. I opted to not run tonight as I have been in the freezing cold since 10am and the wind was starting  to chill me to the bone..(yes I’m one of those shorts all weather people). Think I’ll find my hat and gloves for tomorrow but I’ve got another 13hr day then after we have taken my son to judo, we are going on a ghost bus tour of London.. so a very busy day..
    On Sunday’s I sometimes join one of those “so let’s run together” groups and they are all a lovely crowd. This Sunday I’ll be joining them for an interesting session. It’s their 150th Sunday so they are doing a 100 min and 50 min challenge where you can run for either 100 or 50 min and see how far you get. I’ll be running the 100 min and aim to try get 14+ miles if the weather is kind. Will be interesting if nothing else
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    mf, that sounds like a nasty fall, well done completing with a hole in your knee.
    Cal, glad you are getting the injury sorted, what's dry needling?
    Big G, nice pics of Vienna, re the asics thing, sounds a good decision, I think as long as you steer clear of the atabloids they should respect your wishes.
    Shades, I couldn't help laughing at the wee stop with the rolls royce people turning up!
     I went out this morning and did 8.5 miles, very cold but very nice. I saw about 6 other runners and said good morning and only one bothered to reply! Dog walkers almost always speak but over the last couple of years there seems to be some right miserable runners, at one time there seemed to be an almost automatic response between runners, anyone else experienced this?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    OTB, I've no advice really on nutrition, and as Shades says it's a bit of trial and error really.  I know a couple of things that cause me issues on long runs, but otherwise I just try and eat (relatively!) healthily.  A few years ago I did dabble in a low-carb diet, and although I did have some good results in terms of it being easier to maintain a good weight, I am now back in a "normal" diet that includes pasta etc.  One thing that I can't stomach is gels in a race, so I don't take them in marathons, but take other things instead (energy bars being my current favourite, but I've tried all sorts).

Jugula, I haven't really noticed that between runners.  Most seem to raise an eyebrow in solidarity, although I try and get out of the way if someone is obviously doing some kind of interval/rep session....
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @onthebeach - Have a look at fitnaturally.co.uk.  I'm happy to refer you. Sally worked wonders on my nutrition and was fantastic.

I've not been getting any notifications for the thread so i'm hoping that this will correct that!

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I've been unsuccessful in the Berlin ballot :(  Oh well, maybe next year!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - it must be so cold out in this weather, put on a pair of trousers!

That's a lovely idea for this week's Sunday run and inclusive of all abilities.

Jugula - you're still keeping your mileage up, is it half marathons only for 2018?

Yes, I agree, there used to be automatic acknowledgement from other runners but less so now.  And it's the younger ones that don't seem to have any social skills and don't seem to know how to say Good Morning to anyone else.

Big G - sorry to hear that about Berlin ballot, I don't know how their ballot operates, do you have a better chance next time perhaps?   But I'm sure you can allocate the funds set aside to do another marathon somewhere ;)

Rest day for me today.  I was asked yesterday to join a '5k a day for December', I thought I'll join that then remembered that today the 1st December was allocated as a rest day :D

Right off to check how the Peru runners are doing.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    MdeS Peru, first Irish runner still in 24th place, my friends moved up a little yesterday, in 59th and 64th places.   Only 2 dropouts yesterday, 231 runners still in the race.  Yesterday was a shorter distance of 33 km. Today is the longest stage of 68km.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Happy Birthday today :):):)    and good luck tonight at the awards evening
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'm not currently planning beyond half marathon distance, though I do feel there's unfinished business with the marathon. If at some stage I find the right balance of work that allows me to put in sufficient training then I will probably have another go at it. Don't tell my wife though!