Looking to add some core/strength or weights to my training plan- advice?

For the past few years my training has been exclusively running, but I am looking for a PB in my spring marathon and I am looking for some additional workouts to give me the edge. 

Squats, lunges, planks, side planks with weights, there are a range of options, but what has worked best and how often do you do them? 

Also any good videos people have found to follow? 

Perhaps sticking to hills and intervals is the best option?

Thanks 

Jake 
Jake Fricker (Author of "I am a Runner" and qualified coach)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner

PB’s
5k- 19:03
10k- 39.28
HM- 1:28.25
M- 3:07.59

Comments

• I don’t think you can go far wrong with a kettlebell. Start with something small that you can just about handle, you’ll move up pretty quickly. I try and do the following workout every other day. Initially you may struggle to do one circuit, especially if you only run, you’ll be surprised how weak you are. Take it easy.

Plank and reach

Plank and side step

Runners Crunch

Seated Russian Twists

Side Plank Lift

Kettle bell swings

Kettle bell curls

Kettle bell rows

20 reps each, 3 circuits. 

• Look on YouTube to see what each exercise is and concentrate on form rather than getting a specific number of reps. If you can’t do 20 do whatever you can. 
  • Tim R2-T2 said:
    I don’t think you can go far wrong with a kettlebell. Start with something small that you can just about handle, you’ll move up pretty quickly. I try and do the following workout every other day. Initially you may struggle to do one circuit, especially if you only run, you’ll be surprised how weak you are. Take it easy.

Plank and reach

Plank and side step

Runners Crunch

Seated Russian Twists

Side Plank Lift

Kettle bell swings

Kettle bell curls

Kettle bell rows

20 reps each, 3 circuits. 

Hi Tim- thanks for the advice. I will give it a go. How much would you say it has helped? Are you less prone to injury, or find yourself stronger at the end of a race? 

I am under no illusion- I know I am very weak. :smiley:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • I don’t get that ‘sinking into the ground’ feeling where my whole body feels like it’s collapsing in on itself towards the end of the long races. 
  • Tim R2-T2 said:
    I don’t get that ‘sinking into the ground’ feeling where my whole body feels like it’s collapsing in on itself towards the end of the long races. 
    Thanks Tim- the workout is much tougher than I thought it would be! Currently takes me 25 mins for a full 3 reps- should I be slower and more controlled? 

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • That sounds about right. Concentrate on keeping your form.

You’re doing well. 
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    I do the following core twice a day, it is part of my recovery from hip surgery. 

Plank, bridge both legs down, plank, bridge one leg, plank, bridge one leg, side plank, bridge one leg, side plank, bridge one leg, clams all 30 secs (which does not sound long but.....)

Also have a gym routine but only started that today on the advice of physio. 
  • Thanks TT- Twice a day is a big commitment. I hope it is aiding your recovery. 

I am currently doing Tim's routine three times a week. Two weeks in it is starting to get easier. After six weeks I am planning to try for a 5k PB and see if it feels any different. 

Having never done core work or lifted weights before I am already feeling more toned in my upper body. My weight seems to have crept up by 300g to 68Kg also. I know muscle is heavier than fat- but I can't believe it has made this much difference already. I am doing 3-4 runs a week on top of the 3 core workouts.  I will post my results. 

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • Last night I was five weeks in to my new regime and keen to do a speed test to see if there has been any training benefit. 

I couldn't get outside (kids to babysit) so I was using my treadmill. I decided to test my 5k speed. My previous PB was 18:38 for 5k treadmill. I did a 20min 5k to warm up and then reset and pushed hard. I couldn't quite believe my Garmin when it said 5k in 17:28! But it matched the time on the treadmill. 

Clearly I need to test this outside, but potentially 3 core sessions per week has shaved more than a minute off my 5k time... 

Thanks Tim- I will keep working on it and report back. 

Jake 

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • Well done Jake. knocking 50 seconds of a sub 19min 5k is great IMO. Is this weight/core routine the only thing you have changed or have you been training more as well?
  • Thanks Big

I have been doing my usual 3-4 training sessions per week. in addition to the core work. The only other key change is I upgraded my treadmill six months ago. The old one maxed out at 16kph and the new one goes up to 22kph- this has given me the ability to do some speed work indoors and once a week I have been doing a 10k on the treadmill with four sets of 250-300m at 22kph in the last 5k. 

I definitely feel stronger at the end which I put down to the core work. 

I am going to try and do a park run to see where I really am... 

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • Hi Jake,
    Ive enjoyed reading through this thread and I am very impressed by your progress. Clearly the strength training is paying off. Or it gave you a reason to push yourself harder knowing you should be stronger.
    When I originally started strength training about 1 year ago, I found I did benefit from it but the exercises were fairluy general to fitness but not sport specific.
    I now have a triathlon coach that is also a personal trainer and I have found that a sport specific s&c plan improves performance even more by working the muscles needed most.
    What youre doing is not wrong, but to progress to the next step it may be worth looking at someone writing a s&c programme for you. Especialy as you get faster it becomes harder to shave off those valuable seconds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I keep telling myself to do more core work, but its all a bit haphazard.

If I do core three days a week, should I do them on hard running days or easy days? Sometimes I feel a bit sore after a hard session and don't feel like doing exercise - just some easy yoga. Worry that if I do core work before a hard session then muscles will be tired?
  • I know the feeling. It is 12 weeks until the London marathon. I did 6 runs last week and still only managed 35 miles. I did one core session on my easiest day and had one day off with no training. 

My core sessions are 25 minutes, but they are pretty brutal and I can only do them after a 5k run otherwise I am too broken. The more miles I do the harder it is going to get to fit them in. 

I have just bought a gopro and started recording some of my runs- it is a bit random, but helps with the training boredom. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCidqv73zR88Jvx5Re3tGDyw 

Not ready to record a core session yet- way to sweaty! 

Jake 

PB’s
    10k- 39.28