Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    Morning all,

It's bright, but below zero, and I'm off for a spin session in a short while.

Red, thanks. Legs still aching, but hoping the stationary cycling will loosen them up. Hope your legs appreciated the speedy bursts yesterday.

DBIW, good news that John is recovering from his surgery. I'm sure that the cycling will help with his recovery. The stationary bike has definitely been helpful to me, and I intend to continue with it, even when I am fully recovered.
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    DBIW - from this John good luck to your John for a speedy and full recovery. Talking of which........

HS - I think the corner has been well and truly turned! Well done - exemplary patience shown.

Red - Goodness knows what sort of training you were doing earlier in the year! Serious question: do you give yourself a break over Xmas? There's not many organised events going on, although there is a splendidly named 'Hangover 5' across here the into the Downs.  

I managed some 'sprints' in the park yesterday. Desperate to get a bit of speed back into the legs. Then we had the classic demographic pincer movement: looking after our 18 month old granddaughter but 94 year old mother -in-law became ill just to add to the fun. Oh well.
  • Options
    JB, thanks, I still have an ache in the knee, but it doesn't really bother me now, and I think "it is on the way out." 
    I used to do sprints, before I joined the running club, in the playing fields near to where I live. However, it has now been claimed by the Hythe and Dibden football club, so is "out of bounds."
    You certainly had your hands full, looking after your granddaughter and mother in law.

I did a good hours spin session this morning, followed by 20 minutes in the gym.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

That North wind's a bit fierce today. Got blown along to yoga then battled through another 5 mile run.

IW, glad to hear John's on the mend.

TE, you are definitely Back! Our gym has been sadly neglected this year.

JB6, excellent use of your granddaughter as cross-training but sorry to hear about your mother in law. There are lots of events around Christmas but I stick to training at home during Christmas week. I always run on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (that always involved being fuelled with champagne by a neighbour whose mother I used to visit but sadly they both passed away last year so it may be a sober run this year!). My last marathon of 2017 is on 23rd December, and I'm trying to resist those on 28/29 & 30th, then I shall be marathoning on NYD which marks the start of a couple of very scary months of training for my 2018 Challenge in March :-O

Stay warm everyone.
  • Options
    Good morning all,

We've had a few snowflakes this morning! Didn't last long though and now the sun's out. Been busy baking cakes ready for the weekend and off to a Garden Society committee meeting soon but this time I'm driving to it rather than running as I'm saving myself for another double ultra weekend.
  • Options
    Just been reading Redhead's posts. I'm exhausted now - off for a lie down.
     (P.S. snowing here in the north east too)
  • Options
    Morning all,

Another bitterly cold morning.

Yesterday was minus 4 degrees when I set off for a forest run with Karen. Despite wearing several layers, I even wore tracksters, we were absolutely freezing and cut the run short. I couldn't really get going at all, and we just ran 4 miles. It took me all day to warm up!

I'm off to the spin session later, and may go into the gym afterwards. They have got the air condition working now in the spin studio, and on Wednesday it was blasting out cold air :o We eventually warmed up and then the Instructor turned on all the fans  :#
  • Options
    Snowdon marathon sold out in 3 hours, wait till September loads of places will be available. Cold but sunny here, takes me about 2 miles to warm up. Track session tonight " I hope " of 3x1k, 5 /6 miles tomorrow at marathon pace, getting excited about next weekend.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Afternoon,

Today I have been cross-training in the form of weekend food shopping, meal prep for us for Sat/Sun evening & baking cakes for my chums ready for my next 2 ultras which I expect will be very muddy and slow!

LOL Aquarius!

Moks, excited for you. There are so many of my chums going so I hope you get to meet some of them. Look out for the legend that is Brian Mills who has run over 1300 marathons (he's known as the 'butterfly man' as he has loads of tattoos - not sure if he'll be running as he's had a bout of injuries this year) and his lovely partner Karen (aka Crazy Squirrel). I'd love to do Snowdon one day.

TE, have you warmed up yet? It was bitterly cold here too and not much better today although it's just started raining which should warm things up a bit.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone :-D
  • Options
    I got the result on my run I came 55th out of 124 with a time of 25mins.I ran fast from the start to get through the crowd.My splits were 7.09/7.58/8.32.
    This week I have done 2 more 5k runs but I fade after my first mile,I need to get the stamina up
  • Options
    Morning all,

Good luck Red with your two ultras this weekend. I did eventually warm up yesterday.

Moks, best of luck with Snowdon next week. 

Damien, well done in your 5k race. You are right that you need to improve your stamina, and also endurance. Incorporate a long slow distance run once a week in your training programme.

Had a good spin session, followed by a gym work out yesterday.
    It's the club's Xmas dinner party this evening, so looking forward to that. A bit  apprehensive though that I might start "dad dancing" and hurt my knee :/
  • Options
    Red head, does Brian know you as RD.   Hillstrider, have a great time tonight mate. Damien 7.09 for the first mile, wow, my pace chart is the other way around, ie slow, faster then the fastest last.
  • Options
    Lots more snow fell after taking these, don’t think I’ll be running in the immediate future. Training cancelled at the club on Thursday but couldn’t have gone anyway because we couldn’t get out of the drive. 
  • Options
    That route looks exactly like my 10 mile route on Wednesdays, minus the snow, YET.
  • Options
    Not to bad really as I am a proud parent of my boy Riley Nagle he has this last year done some fantastic work
    he is rank top 25 for the 400mts U.K
    he is top 300no for 100mts and 200mts and 300mts
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Damien - great 1st mile; great gene pool!

Aquarius - great photos!

Mok - you certainly don't pick easy races.

HS - an injury acquired in dad dancing would really be a bad way to finish the year.

Redhead - you are spot-on about December; it can be a sad and melancholic month. So I have to report that my mother-in-law died mid-week. All (of course) very sad - but she went very quickly and peacefully and the family managed to get to the hospital in time. We are now in the aftermath with all the logistics and practical (plus emotional) challenges that follow.

I managed a parkrun yesterday - edging into HS's territory in Hampshire (a place called Whiteley, which seems to be one huge shopping centre). There are loads of PRs around this area, but there were still 140 souls who braved the freezing conditions. The course was flat and 3 laps and would have been very fast other than a few sharp twists and turns. So I was pleased with a 21:31 and an AG which gave me a 3rd place overall - but well behind a VW50-54 runner who clocked an 85% and a 1st AG but a huge margin -  and actually finished 2nd across the line. There can't be many events where someone in this age category comes 2nd. Well done her, carrying the flag for mature runners

• Options
    hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Morning all,

Damien, your boy certainly seems to be very talented, like father like son!

Aquarius, thanks for the great snow photos! We've had no snow in the forest yet, but as the saying goes, "its been too cold for snow."

Mok/JB, the xmas party was very good last night. A three course meal for starters, with Christmas crackers, and those pop things where you pull the string and streamers go up in the air. There were about 35 of us, and we were sat round several tables which had our names where we were to sit. The disco was much better than the usual trash that we have experienced in the past. There were actually tunes with lyrics, rather than the usual non stop noise. I managed to avoid the dance floor for quite a while, but was eventually dragged up with the threat that if I didn't, they would sit me on a chair and dance round me, instead of their handbags. What great friends I have :D:s. It was all  good fun though, as they are all aware of my dodgy knee. I did "perform" for a short while and don't seem to have caused any damage.

JB, sorry to hear the sad news about the death of your Mother in Law, but good that the family were able to be there with her. December is a good but also very bad month for me. Good as December is my daughter and my birthdays, but bad as both parents died in December. My father on 28th December 2008, and my mother on Christmas Day 2011.
    Well done for another excellent parkrun. These shorter distances certainly seem to be your speciality, but I hope you continue to include an LSD run in your training schedule. I'll be moving on to the next WAVA level next week, and looking forward to when I can race again, and see what difference it makes. 

Red, I hope your ultra went well yesterday and good luck with todays. I don't know whether JB sent you the wings, but you seem to be doing very well without them.

• Options
    hi all, can anyone tell me please how to get the writing on my PC back to normal? It has gone very tiny, cannot read it without a magnifying glass!   great snow photos Aquarius. We have light snow but it is not laying as yet.
  • Options
    snow has gone, now cold and very windy.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Afternoon peeps,

Glorious day here but I've been making a wreath for our front door so have only been for a shortish plod of 3 miles.

JB6, sorry to hear about your loss but relieved that it was quick I dislike December for many reasons as too many horrid things have happened then over the years (we buried my father on Christmas Eve, suicide of a close friend, mum went into the Care home for the last few months of her life, amongst other things). Nice running from you as always.

Moks, possibly not as he doesn't really do the interweb. He will know me as Susie (or the knitting lady) though and Karen's a good friend. Have fun :-D

TE, lol at the thought of them dancing around you rather than handbags!

Damien, very well done to your son. Glad to hear he's following in his dads footsteps.

Aquarius, lovely snow photos. Thank you for sharing.

I had a good weekend of ultras thank you. 28.5 miles in 5:20 on Saturday - the route had to be shortened at the last minute 'cos of unexpected work on our usual route and it was much quicker and with less hills. I reached 16.5 miles in 3 hours which was 1.5 miles more than the weekend before so was very pleased (I'm experimenting with pacing strategies and running on tired legs). Then 31.1 miles on Sunday in 6:28 on a markedly hillier route in muddy conditions and with fog/heavy drizzle for the 2nd half. Very pleased with how my legs felt on both days. Had a lovely catch-up with my running chums with lots of chatter en-route which helped pass the miles. Nothing now until the 17th for another ultra :-D
  • Options
    Morning all,

DBIW, on the address bar of your computer, there should be a magnifying glass symbol. Just click on it, and it will allow you to zoom and magnify the text.

Red, the dancing episode gets worse, they have put it on Facebook :s:D. I haven't seen it yet as I'm not on it, but will see it this evening. I'm having an evening meal with some of my running friends and sister this evening, to celebrate my birthday which is tomorrow.
    Very well done for your back to back ultras. I'm amazed and very impressed how you can rack up the miles week after week, with apparently no adverse effects.

I ran a very enjoyable 9 miles in the forest with the two Sarah's and Jane yesterday morning. It was very muddy and involved some navigation round the deepest mud and water. I feel that my endurance is coming back, as I didn't find it as hard as last week. My legs, however, are really aching this morning. It is 5 months since I hurt my knee, so I have obviously suffered muscle wastage. The spin sessions have really helped in this respect, and also with cardio. 

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone - sorry I've not been around lately. Seem to have been kept busy with various things during the week and weekends have been busy too (this weekend we were visiting my sister; the weekend before I took my eldest son to Leeds to visit my younger son who has just bought himself a 2-bed house). Needless to say, with 'stuff' going on, the running has taken a bit of a back seat for the last week or so. However, I've warmed up by doing some cross-training this morning (sweeping up leaves from the back lawn!) and I'm about to head out for a run (and it will be slow & steady!). I'll try and do a 'proper' catch-up later ..

A message for DBI (which may or may not be relevant?). If you are using Windows (and Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer) - if the text is too small, you can hold down the 'ctrl' key while you twiddle the wheel on your mouse (away from you increases the text size; towards you decreases the text size).
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Attempting a catch-up and working my way backwards (after reporting that bloody spammer who is posting on this thread - not that anyone at RW Towers will take any notice!).

HS - sorry, had to chuckle about you having to be dragged onto the dancefloor and the resulting 'moves' having been posted on FB .. will you be able to persuade them to take it down? Happy Birthday for tomorrow. Well done re the 9 miler and sorry to hear about your achey legs as a result.

Red - well done re your two ultras at the weekend.

Aquarius - lovely snow photos (the only snow I've seen was when I was in Leeds and that melted straight away).

Damien - impressive splits for your 5K. I'm usually a 10-something runner and impress myself from time to time when I manage 9-something (but that hasn't been for a long while!)

JB - sorry to hear about the loss of your mother-in-law.

*waves* to anyone I've missed ..

As expected, today's run (after a week and a bit off) was a slow & steady affair. I'll be going for a 5ml club run with Claire and the rest of the group on Thu morning.

I've entered the Bourton 10k (Bourton-on-the-water) which is on 25th Feb. Entries opened at 7am so I had to set my alarm ;) The race limit of 650 was reached after 40 minutes as it's a very popular race.

My laptop has been getting slower recently (and the hdd keeps filling up despite my best efforts) so I've decided it's time to get a new one. Looking back I see I bought my current one in Feb 2012 from PC World for £350. I checked the PC World website and can get a similar spec HP laptop for the same price but it will be approx. 4 times faster (checked the speed of the processor on the 'Passmark' website). The only downside? - modern laptops don't seem to have a built-in dvd drive any longer (everything digital?) but I see I can get a usb external dvd writer for £23 from Argos.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Hello - anybody here? :wink: Following on from yesterday's post I've just found out (via the howtogeek.com website) how to share my current laptop's dvd drive across our home network and access it from any new laptop I get ..
  • Options
    Afternoon peeps,

Thought I'd posted yesterday but clearly I didn't! Busy doing a reccy for a walk I needed to write about for our local Parish magazine and there were some issues with the footpath I'd chosen so had to hastily create a new route. That made a nice 6 mile leg stretcher and Mike came along too. No running today but will be out for about 10 miles tomorrow.

Christmas wreath made and tree going up this afternoon.

WtnMel, a 10k in BotW would be lovely. I've been there many times and just love that area. Slow and steday is fine when you're making a comeback.

Moks, good luck in Lazarote. My mate Karen won't be there but I think Brian will be and there are definitely about 40 of the 100 clubbers going. Run strong and enjoy the whole experience.

Hope that troll/spammer gets kicked off here soon!
  • Options
    Morning all,

Very wet and windy, ideal for going back to bed.

WtnMel, my laptop which is a Toshiba, doesn't have the CD/DVD entry port like my previous one, but came with a plug in device, so the discs don't actually enter the laptop.
    I think we are wasting our time reporting spammers, as RW Towers completely ignore any correspondence from members. They just don't seem to care, which brings me back to what I have often said that it is run by robots.  The annoying spammer on this thread now has two stars, so if it continues posting will probably get another star and be able to start a new thread. Absolutely disgraceful for what is a so called secure web site with HTTPS.

Red, hope the weather isn't as bad for you as it is here, for your 10 mile run today.

Had a very nice pre birthday dinner Tuesday evening with my sister and seven running friends, at a restaurant in the village. They showed me the video of me dancing at the clubs xmas bash on Saturday, on facebook. It wasn't as bad as I had feared, as it "didn't feature me!"
    Had a quiet day yesterday, but had a good spin session and gym work out in the morning. Watched a Led Zepplin DVD in the afternoon, live from the Royal Albert Hall in 1970. They really were an exceptionally talented band!
    The Friday morning spin session which I have been attending for the last few weeks has now been axed, which is a real blow to us regulars. I was lucky though to book a place for this evenings 6.00 session. The evening sessions are always fully booked, so I was lucky to get a place.
  • Options
    Many thanks for the kind thoughts. We are now into the 'logistical phase' which sometimes makes even the Brexit negotiations look like a cake-walk. Will try to get out for parkrun tomorrow.
  • Options
    Morning all,

It's very cold and snow is possible later, but not as heavy as in other parts of the country.

JB, thinking of you and all the problems involved after the loss of a loved one. Hope tomorrows parkrun will help you to cope with your families loss.  I went for a run the day after my mother died, and it really helped.

My spin session last night was my first evening one, and with a different instructor. It was very tough, and the class was  more experienced than the morning ones, which are more for beginners and intermediates. I still stay seated, whilst the others stand, but this means I have to work harder, which I enjoy. I'm amazed how much stronger my legs are getting, as I'm able to maintain high rpm's, with high resistance. I'm taking it easy today, after spin sessions two consecutive days.
  • Options
    Morning all,

TE, belated Happy Birthday wishes and well done on your super spinning! Methinks you're well and truly on the mend xxxx

JB6, the aftermath of a bereavement is hard going isn't it. Hope you make it to parkrun to help clear your head x

I didn't run yesterday as the wind and rain were just too bad to venture out when it wasn't essential. This morning I've been to a 40 minute HIT session which I thought I'd try as it took me out of my comfort zone. Ran there and back as it was quite local and I really enjoyed it (although I did whince a bit when I picked up the kettle ball thing!). I have a tough few months of training ahead and I think this coming weekend will be the last one without either a marathon or back-to-back ultras until my challenge in early March. EEK!

Have a lovely weekend everyone and good luck to Moks over in sunny Teneriffe.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Very cold again, but we have avoided the snow so far in the New Forest region.

Thanks Red, unfortunately birthdays come round far too quickly these days.
    I think that I am on the mend, but am still being very cautious with my running attempts.
    Well done attempting an HIT session, as they are tough, and Karen does them when she is unable to get out for a run.
    You obviously have a very intense running and training schedule for the New Year, and I wish you lots of luck with it  :) I have already entered a number of races next year, including the Southampton and New Forest marathons, and just hope that I will be fit enough to run them. My first race is the Ryde 10 miles, which is one of my favourite road races, as it is hilly and the IoW is the place of my birth. It's in the first week of February,so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm intending to do a short run later this morning in the forest, after I return from the village, where I will be buying my Christmas Stamps.