Trump

Comments

• Brexiters with American accents, hopelessly invested in a lie.

Ignoring the outright racists, others that supported Trump were desperate for the US to return to being a massive industrial giant where the unskilled and uneducated could, nevertheless, walk into a decent, secure job.

So desperate they ignored the fact that Trump can't make it happen and lied about being able to make it happen.

So desperate they could be bought with a MAGA hat. 

So desperate, not only can they not let it go but are persuading themselves he's actually doing something for them even while not being able to point at a single achievement. 

The alternative is to admit they were grifted by a con merchant.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Apart from the fact that those in receipt of the truth on both sides of the pond were keeping the details to themselves on account of the advantages it gave them.

Where do those who voted Trump or 'OUT' fit in where they also happen to belong to the so called top 1% global elite where all the money is flowing these days?

🙂

•  

They were the ones who sold the pup to the others in order to further enrich themselves.

Half your population arguing with the other half is a great way to stop them asking questions about your tax avoidance schemes.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

But the information about how the way things are has been around for over forty years, so to what level do we blame others if things haven't gone our way?

🙂

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Right wing Christian evangelical Senate candidate Roy Moore has been the subject of well sourced and credible claims of historical sexual involvement with a 14-year-old girl. In some quarters the Republican fog of conspiracy bullshit to disparage the reporting and accusers, and some of the mitigation for the alleged conduct is breathtaking and alarming. Whatever happens to Trump his stench is all over right wing US politics and will linger long after he's gone.
  • ScreamapillarScreamapillar ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ric: plenty of books like that about. Your average conman's mark is too busy reading the right wing press.

JT: members of the cult of Trump that fell for a ridiculous paedophile conspiracy around Hillary Clinton are happily defending Roy Moore and using the bible to do it.

Fuck, if hell was real I'd have no fear of it, there wouldn't be any room down there for me.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    He's retweeting Britain First now. It's amazing how predictable his general behaviour is, and yet the specific things he does still come as a surprise.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    One good thing about Trumps antics, is that while he's wasting time and effort on tweeting crap and getting into undignified arguments, he's unlikely to concentrate on anything that may require more than 15 seconds of attention, which could lead to something really serious.

It's said that Rome wasn't built in a day, however, if the Romans had smart phones it probably wouldn't have been built at all. That's the safety valve with Trump. He has the attention span and reflex actions of an average dog. 

🙂

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Mike Flynn may be preparing a plea bargain to testify against Trump. That could be significant. But if Alabama elect Roy Moore I kind of think that further demonstrates all bets are off and even the most incriminating outcome of the special prosecution would not penetrate the cultural insanity that holds sway in rural America.
  • I think even the rest of the US thinks that Alabamans are a special kind of deplorable. I know an Alabaman and that's the impression I get from what she tells me.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    The orange one's Twitter feed has been noticeably quiet thus far today. Here's hoping he's apoplectic that Mueller's got access to his Deutsche Bank records.
  • Did you see the Israel speech? WTF is he on?  :o
  • BTW I had a dream last night that he resigned and it basically broke Twitter. One can hope!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    The Israel announcement confirms my suspicions (to me at least) that he is a dangerous pawn in the world political system.  Other people with their own agendas telling him that if he does this or says that he will be seen as a hero or  strong leader or will go down in history as a game changer, and his ego does the rest. 
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Recognising Jerusalem has been on the Republican agenda for decades, though in office they never actually do it. Until now. I don't really understand why this has been a perennial wish for the base all the way from Reagan to Trump. Nor do I understand how this symbolic gesture significantly benefits Trump. Actually there's a whole lot about the Israeli/US relationship and Israel in general I just don't get.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    I think Trump wants to look like someone who carries out his pledges...so he's got his tax reform in, and now the Jerusalem thing, maybe he'll get his ban on immigrants from certain countries in too...and then there's the wall.
    Have to see how the UN acts on this Jerusalem thing, but US can no longer pretend to be a neutral peace broker in the middle east.
    Anyway...war is coming, Sunni vs Shia, Iran vs Saudi Arabia, Iran vs Israel, Russia vs US etc etc.
  • Israel/US relationship = Zionist lobby. I am guessing it has a lot of financial clout but it is also influential because Jews apparently have the highest voter turnout of any ethnic group AND almost all of them happen to live in key states. Jewish support can win or lose you an election. Not all Jews are Zionists of course...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Israel/US relationship = Zionist lobby. I am guessing it has a lot of financial clout but it is also influential because Jews apparently have the highest voter turnout of any ethnic group AND almost all of them happen to live in key states. Jewish support can win or lose you an election. Not all Jews are Zionists of course...
    So its all the Jews fault is it? Blame a minority who only make about 2% of the population of the US?...
    edited December 2017
    No, it's the fault of politicians who exploit their votes (which, as I explained are strategically important because of geographical location) to gain power. Come on, you know how this stuff works - you court the people that you know go out and vote by promising them stuff they want. In this case you have a small percentage of population that just happen to have a disproportionate influence on outcome.
  • Just a reaction to Trump stating something that many others knew but wouldn't admit to knowing.

No such country as Palestine or a people known as Palestinians. No history or language either. The name was a region and the inhabitants came from all over the place, some also happened to be Jewish.
    The issue is that Jews are prepared to share the space whereas the Arabs refuse to. Why did every Arab nation surrounding Israel declare war on Israel the very day Israel declared itself to exist in 1948?

Ironic that the Israelis which held out an olive branch to their Arab neigbours; who would have destroyed them if the roles were reversed, were considered naive for their leftist views, are being supported by a guy who is considered to the right of attila the hun.

How would you like it if someone set out to destroy you for having the audacity to declare your existence and then complaining when you didn't accept your destruction, calling your defense an attack?
  • The PLO recognised Israel's existence in 1992 and Jordan in 1994. The goodwill was eroded by continued Jewish occupation of The West Bank etc. More or less hawkish protagonists on both sides have made concessions but never yet reached agreement and Israel has never fully left the occupied territories.

Im addition you might not recognise Palestine/Palestinians as "a thing" but I'm afraid most of the UN does. This is why the international community tries to maintain neutrality. 

Trump goes against that position and chucks a petrol can on a fire by recognising Jerusalem as Israel's capital. It appeals to his base (including some evangelical Christians who literally beleive that "the rapture" cannot happen until Jerusalem becomes the capital of Israel) and conveniently pisses off a lot ot Muslims at the same time. It also shows his ignorance as he fails to see that American (and other) lives will be put a risk by his decision. 

But hey, let the Middle East burn. After all nothing matters to Trump except Trump.
  • No, it's the fault of politicians who exploit their votes (which, as I explained are strategically important because of geographical location) to gain power. Come on, you know how this stuff works - you court the people that you know go out and vote by promising them stuff they want. In this case you have a small percentage of population that just happen to have a disproportionate influence on outcome.

If you look at elections Jews in the USA tend to vote Democrat, Trump only got 24% of the Jewish vote, so hardly a major influence on the election.

Clinton fans, in typical identity politics style, have blamed whites, men, white women and straight people. Now you're going after the Jews? The real reason Clinton lost is because she was the worst possible candidate to put up for election when the population was crying out for change.
    edited December 2017
    FFS I'm not "going after the Jews". Why are you misinterpreting what I'm saying? It isn't about Jewish people voting for Trump. It's about politicians appealing to those groups they think will vote for them. Several presidents, Democrat and Republican, have said they would do the same thing to garner votes but haven't actually followed up on the promise because, in reality, they know how inflammatory it would be.

The Israel/Zionist lobby goes back a long way (it also has plenty of Christians in it BTW) and is a vote-winner for reasons I'm not explaining yet again. Trump's support is shrinking. His move speaks both of his stupidity and desperation to keep hold of the people that voted for him or that he thinks voted for him because it was a campaign promise.

BTW If you don't think targeting certain key groups works, or that lobbyists have no power, how is it that roughly 5m (out of 245m) of the US population that belong to the NRA holds congress, and, by definition, the rest of the population hostage over gun control?

If you want to talk about Hillary Clinton, she got 3m more votes than Trump. The Electoral College system worked in Trump's favour. As a malignant narcissist, he is keenly aware if this and has never really got over it.

• OK, I understand, but you did specifically mention Jews in your original post, if you'd just stuck to Zionists I wouldn't have a problem. (I agree Trumps Israel policy is messed up, but at least he is sticking to his promises, unlike most politicians!).
  • He probably won't though. His administration is making up policy on the hoof. 

And tbh it doesn't matter if you do stick to some of your policies if 90% of what you say and do is totally reprehensible. 
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Alabama just elected a Democrat (Jones) to the Senate, at the expense of a bigotted sex-offender (Moore).

How you like them apples, Donald?
    edited December 2017
    It's great in one way.

On the other hand, the stats show that 64% of white female voters and 74% of white male voters were still convinced that a racist, homophobic, pro-slavery paedophile was the right guy to pick. It's sightly worrying  :(
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
     So, part of teacher training should be in the use of an assault rifle to kill any suspected homicidal students or ex students with a grudge. 

FFS only in the USA and only Donald Fecking Trump could propose this without being carted off to a Loony Bin where he belongs.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I watch and listen to a lot of American media to absorb for posterity this absurdist period of history. Each week plays out like some elaborate piece of performance art. Everything is preference and self affirmation and nothing is principle.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Ah, but having principles means putting yourself out on a limb, and being out on a limb means being a target, and being a target in America means getting shot at and possibly killed.
    Yes, their preference is living and checking that they still are.
    Who needs principles there?

🙂