Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• That's an interesting thread about Active.com, I've used them in the past, but not recently, but did have my card used fraudulently recently. Only realised when I was over my credit limit and my card bounced! The card issuer even tried to charge me £10 for being over my limit despite them crediting my account back!!

Looks like it will be cold for tomorrows run!! Meant to be doing 11 miles, but might make it 12/13!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - that's annoying with your credit card issuer.  

If you've still got that cough, it's far too cold to run.

I just looked back to when my card was scammed and it was 2 weeks after I entered Loch Ness via active.com last year :#   Might just be coincidence as I did use the card elsewhere too.   But it's the same card company that have cancelled my credit card this week.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think I'm going to cancel my card as a precaution.  I just Googled Active.com and there are lots of complaints about their "Advantage" scheme too.  I don't think I've used them that often, although Gloucester Marathon used their system as well.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't think you should go that far.   But if you ticked the box to sign up to their Advantage scheme then you should have time to cancel that directly with active.com, if they don't do it straight away then I'd cancel the card before the 30 days trial is over and they try and debit your card.

I've entered other events on my other card on active.com and had no problems (yet).    

My RO contact has come back to me, he's had one similar query from a runner and active.com assured him there was no breach of security.  But the RO is going to speak to the head of UK operations today, RO is concerned now.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, no I didn't select that option, so that's fine.  I've just gone onto their site and they're down for essential maintenance at the moment....  I wonder if their maintenance is due to this issue?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've just been on their website, it's not down but it has to be one of the worse websites I've ever been on to try and find your way around.   I found the forum but it wouldn't let me start a new thread...I wonder why!   So I've sent an email saying I've heard about the credit card cloning and why haven't they issued a statement and/or replied to runners emails.  It also won't let you close your 'account', once all my races have been run I'll remove myself from the website if I can and arrange to pay race entries another way.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    And I've just sent an email to Loch Ness marathon saying I'm not sure if I can run in 2018.   But if I can could they provide me with an alternative method of payment as no doubt they'll have heard about the problems runners have had with their credit cards after using active.com.    ;)

That should stir things up a bit :)

• Shades - I feel I’ve got lots of energy now after not running for 5 days now. No way am I tailwalking, am desperate for a run!

Just heard ‘rinsed’ on MT! Never heard that one despite living with 2 teenagers.
  • Shades- thanks for the heads up in regards active.com. In my job I deal with all types of fraud so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this site.

8.5 miles this afternoon in what was very cold conditions. I do prefer to run in the cold than the heat to be fair.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SK, I heard the phrase on the way up to Milton Keynes this afternoon, whilst listening to Marathon Talk...:

I arrived here ok and the journey was fine, although very cold and with snow in the air. I checked in and went for a run around the lake and saw the RD and his assistant (who happens to be the RD of Plym Trail marathons) walking and marking the course. They looked very cold too - car said 2deg.  The RD said he could probably get me in for Sunday's race too if I wanted, but I politely declined! (When back at hotel, just as a matter of interest I checked the room rate for tomorrow night, and it's too expensive anyway!  Phew!). 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - too cold for sweeping duties today anyway.  You'd freeze going round at a walk.

steven - I'd rather run in the heat than the cold, although I am not a sun worshipper and would never go on a 'beach' holiday.   I do hate the winter weather for running as it's ice that is the only weather that will stop me running.

Big G - have a good run today, will be cold.   And don't be tempted to stay on for an extra marathon tomorrow as I believe that area is due for heavy snowfall Saturday night into Sunday.

Waiting to book my Pilates class when booking opens at 7 a.m., will have to wait a bit longer than that for my run as we had rain and it's frozen and no gritting lorries out so pavements are treacherous.  :(

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, no I definitely won't be staying. Hotel is about £100 tonight, plus I've got people flying in from NL, and we've got plans tonight and tomorrow. Weather does look bad tomorrow here as you say.

I just had a look on Strava and there's a small chance I may do 2000 miles this year, although I think I'll probably fall a bit short. It's funny though as I thought my average per week would have been higher - really 36miles/5.5hrs/4 runs per week isn't that much! It seems I spend far more time thinking/talking about running than actually running! But this is by far the most consistent I've been in a year, although I did have a couple of lean periods with injury. I haven't really been tracking this but I had kind of assumed my average would have been 40+ a week. Maybe next year....
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Good Luck Big G, no running for me as I'm on taxi duty this morning to Exeter. Normally do Riverside Parkrun but don't want to risk getting stuck in traffic, as times are tight.  Thinking of walking to runners needs if I'm allowed to leave car at police station as this is where my daughter swims.  I'm not allowed to watch as she is in restricted area and I don't have pass. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - average mileage tends to drop when racing a lot.  I'm sure you'll reach that 2,000 miles, you know what you're like when you have a certain number within reach. ;)

Jelly - I expect there'll be a lot of folk heading for Exeter today to do the dreaded Xmas shopping :#

• Big G - I got v near to 2,000 last year but ended up just under. But this year, I think my mileage will be a fair bit lower. But not bothered as I’ve done more quality stuff with the fitness training and track.

Not the fastest parkrun today (20:15) but was 1st overall for 1st time ever and Max, my 11yo was 4th. I think all the speedsters must have been doing XC or stayed in bed! Weird not to have anyone to run with/chase as 2nd was 30 secs behind!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Not a massive amount to say about today's race, except it was very cold. Bearing in mind I usually enjoy the cool conditions for racing, I had a long sleeved base layer, t-shirt, long sleeved top and then club vest on. Plus a hat, and very thick gloves. With all this lot on, I was just about ok!  Although cold, there was no wind and it was sunny. 

The course is 7 and a bit laps of a lake, and I got it done in 3:53. Although I never felt sub-4 was in danger, it was quite hard work in comparison to last week. I glanced at my watch on 24.2 and realised that at Nottingham last week I'd already finished, which was quite sobering too. I knew sub-4 was in the bag, so I'm afraid to say I did coast in the last couple of miles or so. 

Anyway, I can't say I overly enjoyed it, but I got it done. 

A few miles from home, the left front suspension started knocking on my car, so I need to get that looked at before my next marathon!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Well done on your win,great to beat all-comers.
    Big G-doesn't sound like you enjoyed today too much,well done on another sub 4.
    Shades-Hope you got out safely.
    Cold and wet 8 miles after work today,actually felt really easy and at a decent pace,meant to be doing 20 tomorrow but that is dependant on the weather,we are at the very edge of the forecasted heavy snow so may miss us or may not.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - usually by this time of year you've embarked on your series of 20 mile runs as your marathon preparation but you haven't needed to this year.

Well done to you and Max at parkrun.   I did hear someone from parkrun being interviewed during the week and saying how pleased they are that the average finish times are getting slower, I don't think they ever meant to attract the faster runners but to encourage beginners and slower runners to get fit, that's what their funding is for.

Big G - well done, another one in the bag.   Must have been cold if you had 4 layers on, lucky there was no wind.

Hope the car is OK, we forgot to factor in the extra wear and tear on the car for all these marathons.

Ian - hope conditions are OK for your run today.   If you do get snow it's quite fun to run on while it's fresh, not sure about 20 miles though as you will end up with very wet and cold feet.

Gale force winds and heavy rain here this morning, but not freezing, just waiting until it gets light before I go out.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - just as well you didn't stay on in MK for today's marathon as they've had to cancel due to the weather, it must be bad as I don't think Foxy would be put off by a little snow.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Well done on the sub-4 Big G.

Shades, part of me misses the 20 milers but looking out of the window today (snowing and lots of snow on ground), it’s nice not to have the panic of wondering how/where I’m going to do a long run! I might attempt a 10 mile run, but if it’s at all icy, I won’t bother.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Weather isn't too bad where I am,South end of the Wirral has snow but we seem ok for now,will give it an hour then get going I think
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, just saw that. It's the first time in 8 years apparently. I remember Chair ran around there in the snow once for the quad, so it must be worse than that. I've seen a couple of pics and it does look bad - trouble is, if someone slips they'd potentially be in the lake....!  Someone commented that they were looking forward to watching Davey turn into a snowman, which made me laugh :-)

I've had to up my mileage on my car insurance too!  

Ian, I didn't enjoy it really.  I was running on my own for the vast majority and only saw people when I was lapping them or being lapped. I'm not going to do as many of these next year - although they happen to be my next 3 marathons! There are far better out there though. I don't mind laps - it's that the field is so small and you don't see anyone. 

SK, great running. Are they doing an Xmas day/New Year parkrun near you?  If so are you hoping to do it?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - I think it's the not having to do a long run that can make them more enjoyable.   Takes the pressure off distance wise.

Big G - yes I remember that when Chair ran round in the snow, but I think they had a light sprinkling.   I guess it's the roads more than the marathon route, there are road closures in the Midlands now and it's the not knowing how it will be for folk driving home.

ha, ha at Davey as a snowman, he takes a joke very well.

I suppose MK is almost a 400 mile round trip for you so the mileage can soon add up.

I heard there's a new parkrun at Exmouth starting on the 23rd Dec, will be our nearest tarmac one and should be very fast as long as it's not windy as it's up and down the prom I think.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Went out but only ended up doing 10.5 miles.very cold and sleety rain and couldn't seem to get moving well.Kept thinking just 1 more mile but got to the front to turn for home and the wind was horrendous,gusting and hammering against me,couldn't face that for the 5 miles along the front so called it a day and jumping the train home.1st time I've bailed on a run and not ideal but felt crappy all run and don't want to ruin next week by pushing too much when I don't feel right.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, that's great news they've got that new parkrun together.  Good news.

Ian, sometimes it's good to know when to stop.  I very rarely bail out either, but sometimes it's the right decision.

I did a 4-mile recovery run this morning, which was fine.  A bit quick if anything....
  • Big G- well done on another sub 4 marathon.
    Ian- I don't think anyone likes to bail on a run I do think it takes a good runner to know when it's in their best interest to bail.

13.5 miles for me this morning. Very cold -6 during the run however thankful there was no snow and that paths had been well gritted. First time running this route on what was about 220m of hills the most I have ever done in one run. Around mile 8 there was about 2 miles of a constant incline which I must say I enjoyed.
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Was going to do a LDWA Social Walk today, but it started snowing at 7am and by 7.30 it was 3 inches deep and still coming down heavily. We'd also had a message that it was very bad at the start and people might want to think twice about driving. I only needed to think once - I would have panicked if I'd got stuck in the snow :( . So I left it for a while then went out for a short walk by myself. Still snowing hard but it was lovely walking through the fresh snow. Lots of people out walking their dogs and everyone smiling and saying good morning  :). When I turned for home though I found it much harder to walk - the snow had stopped and already the trees had lost most of their covering - many of the paths and the pavements were now deep, compacted slush  :s. Probably a good thing that I didn't go for a long walk though as I discovered my new shoes slipped and they gave me a blister. I tried them later with 2 pair of socks and they were much better. Roads might be tricky tomorrow if it freezes tonight  :/

Big G - well done on another marathon  :). I did the quad the year it snowed - it was quite deep at the start but thawed quite rapidly. I was staying at a different Premier Inn (or Travelodge, I forget) but when I was going out to the race this guy in Reception looked me (running stuff on) and asked me for a lift. His car wouldn't start in the cold - it was your Chair!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Mowzer, I remember Chair telling me about that, but I didn't know it was you that gave him the lift!  You're becoming an influence (good or bad - you decide ;) ) as it looks like quite a group of Trotters are going to be doing an LDWA event next March :)  I'd arranged it in advance with two Trotters, and then put a message on our club's facebook group to see if anyone else was interested, and there's quite a group now - I think about 15 have said they're at least interested :)   It's a fairly hilly one - Devon Dumpling - so good DD training, and it'll be nice not to worry about a time at all.  Sorry you couldn't take part in your event, but probably a good decision for safety reasons.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I think you were brave heading out to the front for your run, I'm not surprised conditions made you hop on a train home.  Maybe a more sheltered route next time, if you can find one.

Big G - the new parkrun should be a fast course for your sub 20 target.

Good that you've planned your first LDWA event, nice and local too.

steven - that's cold for your run.   Down here they don't grit the paths at all.  I remember when I lived in Scotland they used to grit the paths then.

mowzer - fresh snow is lovely to run and walk in, slush is cold and wet and very unpleasant.   Just as well you didn't set out to your event in the car.

I've just bailed out of this morning's run, stuck my head out the window and a bitterly north wind, 20mph according to the internet.  Only due to do 5 miles so I'll squeeze than in later in the week.

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Glad everyone seems to have survived the snow! I had hoped to get out for 10k with the buggy on Sunday morning but 4 inches of snow quickly put paid to that. Still went out for a walk, was pretty hard work pushing the buggy, I was layered up but probably too much! Did 2 miles in about 45 mins and it was probably as hard work as if I'd run twice that speed in good conditions. Though maybe more of a workout for different muscles.

They've gritted the main roads overnight but not the paths so couldn't risk cycling to the station like normal, had to walk to my local station instead today. Means leaving earlier and paying roughly an extra fiver per day for a ticket so hoping I'll be able to cycle tomorrow.