Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nick - a good upper body work out with your own little snow plough :)

It's annoying and dangerous that they don't grit they cycle and footpaths, they encourage you to walk/run/cycle and not to use your car in these conditions unless you have to and then don't consider how dangerous the paths are.

I'm nice and warm today, had hot pot followed by apple crumble and custard for lunch, extra central heating :p

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steven-great run in those conditions.
    Nick-everywhere seems pretty well gritted around here,hopefully it thaws soon.
    Shades-Theres an alternative 20 I use but that was running towards where the snow had fell,I could have turned and ran back the way I came but didn't think about that until I'd decided to bail and my heart wasn't in it then.
    Off to club tonight so should get 10 miles in 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it's hard to predict where the snow/ice is at it's worst when setting out for a run.

Your 10 miles tonight will make up for your shorter than planned run yesterday.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I love crumble and haven't had any for ages,so it's on the list now for tomorrow  :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - perfect runner's food :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    10.5 again tonight,longish run to the club then hill reps again but couldn't go ful speed as it was starting to get icy,managed to avoid any slips and for a good workout,gentle jog home as it's getting very slippy now
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Ian - glad you managed to get your run done without any mishaps on the ice.

I'm grounded this morning due to black ice, will have to wait until later to run :#

Be careful today folks

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Shades - yeah, it's a bit annoying they haven't done the cycle paths hardly at all. I cycled this morning, my normal route is 3.7 miles and takes me 18-20 mins, had to go slightly further as stayed on roads rather than use my usual cut through, 4 miles took me 27 mins. Took it very cautiously on downhill bits, and stuck to roads as I normally have about 1.5 miles on cycle paths which haven't been gritted. The roads have been gritted but are effectively narrower than usual as snow is piled at the side, so it was a bit slow trying to get past traffic jams in some places.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think RK may have been impacted by the cancelled Enigma event - he sent me a pic of a snow filled hotel carpark.  I've seen that both Enigma and Phoenix events are offering free entries to their remaining events this year, for people that were impacted.  I think RK is impacted as although he's already done 52-in-52 weeks, he was hoping to do 52 in a calendar year, so I'm guessing he's trying to arrange another event!

No running for me yesterday, but I did another endurance event - I braved Exeter Christmas Market ;)  It was actually pretty good and not as busy as it was on Saturday where I think it was packed.  Then we had club committee meeting, which was really good - we also had a nice meal before the meeting, which we don't usually do.

I have to say, I'm looking out the window at the moment thinking about a run, but I don't fancy it currently.  Maybe I'll go out soon...or maybe not!  Who knows!?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-similar position in debating when to run today,I was thinking why I didn't seem to be as affected last year,then realised I only ran 2 or 3 times a week so if the weather was bad i'd just wait for a better day but now I'm running 5 times I don't have that luxury.Will give it a couple of hours and see if the ice fades a little
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Ian - it might just have to be an unplanned cutback week...
  • Hey everyone! Had a nice time in Spain. It isn't exactly warm there but certainly a lot warmer than here. My flight back was delayed by a couple of hours but fortunately London was clear of snow so I didn't have any problems with the rest of my journey. As for the trip, rode a lot of coasters, tried squid ink paella, got a bit drunk on cocktails one night and spent time with friends, so it was good. I am not impressed with the Spanish beds, though - brick-like slabs with a hard pillow and one sheet and blanket - I spent most of my nights rolling around, shivering and fighting with my bedding. Glad to be back in my own!

I did go out for a run today. Very frosty so I had to be quite careful especially around frozen puddles. I did 3 (5K) again as I felt quite sluggish so I was quite surprised my mile splits were as good as they were (11:04/10:34/10:23) especially with all the pussyfooting around. I checked my stats and my stride and cadence have improved a little since last week so I guess that's where the difference lies. Hip and back behaved. I'm not sure I trust my hip yet but I'm going to keep on top of my exercises and make sure I warm up thoroughly.
  • SK - Congrats on the Parkrun first place and to Max too, he obviously has your speed!
    Big G - Another sub 4, well done!
    Ian - Always tough to bail on a run, but if it didn't feel right then it was the right decision.
    Shades - Cough is much better, still there at times though.

12 miles for me on Saturday and did an icy 6 miles today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, glad you had a good time.  Two friends of mine are in Amsterdam at the moment and were due to fly back yesterday but they're snowed in.  They're on flights tomorrow now and FlyBe are looking after them in terms of hotel, meals etc, but both of their employers are a bit miffed about it all I think!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I did only a 3.5 mile run today, and it was one of those that just felt really ploddy/heavy.  Probably not helped by the food I had yesterday at the Xmas market!  Also, we walked to a cafe for coffee and cake and then I took a slightly longer route back as a run, but I think probably the massive cake wasn't the best idea just before a run...
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Todays OAP customers are driving me to cake today. Can't figure out why they are so rude. I'm on basic wages and freezing my butt off,  I'm sure they do it for some kind of kick for their own importance. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nick - don't think we're due frost tonight so hopefully a safer journey for you to the station tomorrow.

Big G - I'm sure RK can find another race to squeeze in somewhere, isn't there one at Dinton park this week?

Did you see the Herald messed up your piece on your marathon PB last week?  They cut off the end of the write up, they really are useless.   

Did you eat your way around the market? ;)

Cal - good to hear you enjoyed yourself in Spain and now you're back home running again :)

Steve - haven't you got your x-ray appointment yet?   I thought that would come through quickly.

Jelly - how annoying, why are people like that?  You need a job in the warm. you must be frozen. :'(

I never got out for my run, ice started to clear just after noon and I was so hungry I just had lunch instead. :o  Wild and windy, but milder tomorrow so I will be out there, promise.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Cal-glad you had a good time.
    Shades/Nick-Hopefully the weather is kinder tomorrow.
    Just back from a nice 12.5,I need to remember when I started saying nice and 12 in the same sentence  :D
    It was a little icy in places but just took it easy there,wind against me in the back half but nothing like Saturday,only tough bit was the last KM which had 100ft of climb in it
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - well you've caught up on your mileage now :)   Had your apple crumble yet? ;)
  • I just ssneeked in a little trip to the physio. He thought the hip seemed a bit better. He's given me a few more exercises to try and suggested three shortish runs a week for a couple of weeks, which seems about right.
    Big G - yeah, I'd have trouble running on cake!
    Mmm, apple crumble!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It's tonights treat after wife gets home from work  ;)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - it was so cold yesterday I had hotpot followed by apple crumble for lunch and I was warm for the rest of the day.

Good news from the physio.

Ian - enjoy the crumble, you've earned it today

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Shades, I was on the Running Miles site earlier today (yes, I had my credit card in hand...) and saw their Dinton one tomorrow is sold out.  I'm not sure what he's doing - I think he does a lot of the Phoenix ones anyway as I think he has family there, so I guess he may choose that.  Not sure though.

I have actually stopped buying HE now - I browse through it only if it's in a pub/cafe or something similar.  They quite often mess up what I've sent them, after their editing!

At the market I had tartiflete, which is my favourite, and a crepe with chocolate.  And then a meal out last night, including pud.   :s  

Cal, that seems good news that you're back running a bit.  Just continue to take it steady for a while! 

Ian, a good run there by you.

Jelly, sorry to hear you're having nightmare customers.  In my late teens, I worked in a fruit and veg shop and remember that it was good that it was busy this time of year in some ways, but also a lot of the customers were pretty grumpy!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I need a pretty high mileage week this week as I know I'll struggle to get 3 runs in next week as I have so much on,but the week after I have 4 days off so,hopefully,2 high weeks with 1 low week inbetween,then it's nearly taper time for GC,as it' not my main target I'm thinking about experimenting with  2 week taper,rather than my normal 3
  • Ian - xmas is always a difficult time for fitting in runs. On the one hand you get time of which means more time
    to run, but I think it’s hard when you get out of the usual routine.

Cal - good to see you back running. Keep it slow and steady for now. Nice to start the new year running again.

Braved driving in the ice last night as was desperate to do my fitness session. There was only 4 of us, so there was no hiding in the tricky press up bits! Then tonight, turned up for my club run and there was only one other person - the guy who leads the longer run. The others had all bailed out, quite sensibly as it’s still quite icy here. But luckily we stuck to the busy areas and ran 7 miles without falling over. Kept it nice and slow. So I have already doubled last week’s mileage which was only 3 miles. (Went sledging on Sunday as too much snow to run!)
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Back on the sickness bench, sore throat and feeling weak. Can't get out of work and weather today is the worst kind for me wind and rain.  Not going training tonight and will skip Friday's speed club, as I've got fun mud run Sunday, Scrooge at Heligan, and  mince pie run Monday which I've created a epic outfit. Am I just in unlucky  at the moment or this common after running multi marathons. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good to know that Running Miles are doing well with their races.  

Last week I didn't get my HE delivered on time, their delivery service is as poor as their cut and paste skills.  It's not arrived yet today either, so I'll probably have to phone again.   But it was a shame last week that they messed up your write up,  as it cut off the bit with your time and saying it was a PB.

I've just heard the headlines that Froome has failed a drugs test, his asthma meds during the Vuelta. :(

Ian - a very busy time for you work wise, it's amazing you can find any time to run.   I think you'll be fine with a 2 week taper, you recover very quickly from your races.

SK - you're brave heading out in icy conditions.   The sledging on Sunday must have been fun and a good work out too.

Jelly - you poor thing.   Yes, very common when you start marathon running.  A marathon and/or the training can depress you immune system and leave you vulnerable to colds/viruses and of course once you pick up one virus you are ripe to pick up another.  It's not helped by you having to work in tough weather conditions.  

I have runned!!!!!!!!   Balmy conditions about 7 degrees,  B)  a little light rain and a little breezy but it was wonderful not to have to think about any ice.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I had a quick chat with RK yesterday and he'll be ending the calendar year on 50.  He had previously decided that he wasn't going to travel to MK for some reason, so I don't think the pic he sent me of the snow could have been his.  He's got 3 more this year and that will be 50 for the calendar year, but within that he's already done his 52 in 52.  In his message to me he did mention something about doing Foxy's "Week at the Knees" event (i.e., 7 in 7), but I don't know if he's doing it all or not.  We'll see :)    Good news on your run :)  

Jelly, there is a lot of illness around at the moment - my Dad is full of cold, and a few of my non-running friends are ill as well.  Having said all that, I had a year where it just seemed to be one thing after the other with chest infections, colds, etc etc.  Just take it easy (difficult at work, I know!), and try and eat healthily etc.  Shades recommended I try a vitamin supplement as it was really getting my down last year - I don't really know if it's helped or not, but this year has been a better year for me in terms of general health, but I don't 100% know if that's a coincidence.  Nevertheless, I still take them; I just take a Holland & Barrett one and stock up a bit when they have a sale/promotion.

SK, well done for your run!  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Shades, shame about Froome.  As you know I really rate him, but following on from our brief discussion about Mo, in some ways Team Sky are pretty bad.  I think they push the boundaries of what is legal and quite often come out with things like "It was within the rules", which again doesn't fill people with confidence.  Also, isn't it amazing the % of elite sportspeople who seem to suffer with asthma!?  The whole thing with Wiggins and the package that was delivered, but no clear record of what it was etc all seems really dodgy too, especially when Team Sky seem to pride themselves on doing everything correctly...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/41996027
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - RK has nothing to prove by chasing a few more races, he's already done his 52 in 52 (and has that hideous shirt ;) ).   He made a wise decision not to drive up on Sunday, a friend of mine did a 6 hour round trip to MK to find it was cancelled and some scary driving too, madness.