Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I too think very highly of Froome but worry that the Teams push their riders to close to the boundaries.  

Re the asthma treatment, I believe over the last few years it's become very easy for anyone to get asthma medication, there are loads of folk with inhalers that they've never used.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Hi Shadies!

Can't comment on everyone but you're all really impressing me with all the running you're doing in spite of the weather.. well done everyone! 

Big G - Well done on churning out another sub 4.. you are now officially in "machine" category  :)

Cal - It sounds like a perfect weekend in Spain.. just what you needed. I am so pleased you seem to be on the mend and, as SK said, great to start the New Year back into your training again.

Jelly - I normally come down with a cold or something just after a marathon. In fact this year was the first time I haven't actually come down with anything after my Autumn marathon. Guess stitches in my knee compensated somewhat for that  :D Wrap up warm in your box (Lidl ski underwear very good) and take flasks of hot soup with you, I hope you feel better soon.

Shades - Well done on getting out there today.. I've skimmed through the thread but I think I picked up that you are threatening to do a parkrun..? Is this true?  :p

Still no running from me but I'm not actually as suicidal as I thought I would be. I think there's a difference in getting over a running injury as opposed to a normal one. This is a straightforward injury which is going to heal. My stitches are out and I can now go down stairs on two legs (Wooooo) but I still haven't got full use of my knee and it still feels very tight. I am scared to try and run in case I start overcompensating with the other side and pick up something else! Anyway, I'm leaving running or cycling until next week when I'l try and get out there.
    I am getting fatter by the minute though, and no Shades, we can't get mince pies here, which, looking at my waistline, is probably a Very Good Thing  :/

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox said:

Shades - Well done on getting out there today.. I've skimmed through the thread but I think I picked up that you are threatening to do a parkrun..? Is this true?  :p

Still no running from me but I'm not actually as suicidal as I thought I would be. I think there's a difference in getting over a running injury as opposed to a normal one. This is a straightforward injury which is going to heal. My stitches are out and I can now go down stairs on two legs (Wooooo) but I still haven't got full use of my knee and it still feels very tight. I am scared to try and run in case I start overcompensating with the other side and pick up something else! Anyway, I'm leaving running or cycling until next week when I'l try and get out there.
    I am getting fatter by the minute though, and no Shades, we can't get mince pies here, which, looking at my waistline, is probably a Very Good Thing  :/

No, absolutely no plans to do a parkrun, that one would be a 50 mile round trip for me, even if it was closer still not interested.   It just was mentioned on our club FB and though Big G would be interested as it will be a fast course in good weather.

I'm glad that your enforced rest is not driving you crazy, it is easier when it's a trauma type injury as you know you should heal, overuse injuries are much harder to deal with.

I don't think you're missing that much by not having mince pies, they are not worth the calories.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    I don't think you're missing that much by not having mince pies, they are not worth the calories.

Splutter!  I have to disagree there Shades!  My last couple of marathons have been more or less fuelled on mince pies as carb loading, the day or two before the event :)  
  • Shades - How can you say that about mince pies!! :o I already had an open appointment to use if I needed it, but as it improved, I didn't bother going last week.

Warmer here today, but the footpaths are absolutely lethal....binned my planned 8 miles off at the end of the road and turned around and went home....was well worth getting out for 5am!! No point even trying to run as it was so slippy I was struggling to walk! Did a short body pump class with the GF instead. Hoping conditions improve tomorrow!
  • Mince pies are OK but stollen is so much better! 

Shades - the sledging wasn’t much of a workout I’m afraid as the wooden sledge wouldn’t move, so I just sat on it and watched everyone else!

Big G - I’m equally suspicious re Sky, but re the asthma, there is a type of asthma that you wouldn’t even know you suffered from unless you do lots of activity, so this is (partly) why the incidence of asthma seems higher in sports people. Non-sports people may well have this asthma too, but if they never push themselves, they’ll never know! 

Mamafox - glad you’re not going stir crazy not running. Don’t worry about putting on a bit of weight, think of it as extra insulation for the winter!

Jelly - hope you feel better soon. I’ve not had a proper cold for ages (but probably will now I’ve said that) which means I really dread getting one. I’ve taken a multi-vit for a while, but not sure this makes any difference. I take one of those fizzy vit c tabs if anyone in the house gets a cold. Stay warm and dose yourself up with cold and flu tabs as these do help you feel better.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SK, thanks for that.  I hadn't fully appreciated that side of it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I'm with SK stollen is gorgeous. :)   I'd give up marathons if I had to fuel them on mince pies.   I will eat a mince pie now and then but if I never see one again that's fine by me.

Steve - don't you think you should have gone for the x-ray just in case?

So annoying that councils don't grit the pavements and if you can't negotiate sheet ice, what chance does an elderly person have.   So many fall and end up with fractures and then in hospital for ages and the NHS stuck with 'no beds'.   Years ago they even used to grit some of the pavements here, one winter a gritter driver when he saw me out running on an icy morning would stop and tell me where he had gritted, Torquay road or Kingsteignton road and then I'd know where I could run safely.

SK - shame about the sledging, in those conditions what you need is a steep hill and a tin tray.   My parents had a pub for a while and I was very popular in providing big tin trays when we had snow.

Interesting link re the asthma.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Marathon List 

13th March
    Enigma - Milton Keynes
    Big G - PB 3:54:17   

2nd April
    Manchester
    Cal - PB 4:29:29  
    Ian5 -  4:29
    Steve -  PB 3:10:15  
    NickW2 - PB 3:24:59  

9th April
    Paris
    SuzSaville82 - PB 4:26  
    Rotterdam
    Emmy 4:42
    Brighton
    Louey  - 4:24:45

23rd April
    London
    Big G - 4:00:59
    Iain Love - 2:57:49
    Slowkoala - 3:12:43
    Southampton
    Jugula - 4:21

29th April
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:29
    Shades - 5:01

7th May
    Great Welsh
    Shades - 4:44:12

13th May
    Marathon de Blaye 
    mamafox - 3:40 - 3rd place and she did win the wine  

14th May
    Hereford
    Shades - 4:45:59

21st May
    Worcester
    Shades - 4:53:46
    Leiden
    Big G - 3:54:25
    Emmy - 4:42:59 (including beer stops)

27th May
    Saturday Night
    Iain - 3:20:45 Winner   

28th May
    Liverpool
    Cal - 4:37:52
    Dorchester
    Shades - 4:56:16

3rd June
    Dartmoor Discovery
    Shades  - PB 6:32:17 

11th June
    Yeovil Marathon
    Shades - 5:13

15th June
    Dorney Lake 6 Hour
    Shades - 5:29:59  B 

18th June
    Enigma Clueless
    Big G - 5:09:58 B

24th June
    Giantshead
    Emmy - 5:56

24th/25th June
    Harp 24
    mowzer - 28 miles

25th June
    Boddington Marathon
    Shades - 4:59:57

2nd July
    Wirral Ultra
    Ian5 - PB 7:01 

9th July
    LDWA From Here to There
    mowzer 9:06

15th July
    Chiltern Challenge 50km
    Steve - PB 5:06 

23rd July
    Ironman Marathon
    Iain - 3:29:54

29th July
    Enigma Planes
    Big G - 4:35

6th August
    Gloucester
    Big G - 3:58:10

12th August
    SVP 100km
    Steve -  PB 12:22 

13th August
    mowzer - 7:50

Isle of Man
    Shades - 4:59:06

3rd September
    City to Sea 
    Big G - 5:28:53

14th September
    Dorney Lake 
    Big G - 4:14:12

17th September
    Lancaster
    Ian -  PB 3:34:41 

24th September
    Loch Ness
    Shades 5:06:10

1st October
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:44:59

8th October 
    Chester
    Ian - PB 3:31:26 

Munich
    Big G - PB 3:42:38 

Yorkshire
    Lily - PB 5:07:15 

15th October
    Birmingham
    Steve - 3:18:47
    John - PB 4:43:52 
    Jelly - PB 4:06:20 

Burton Bradstock
    Big G - 3:54:24S
    Shades - 5:15:07

22nd October
    Marine Corps Marathon
    Emmy - 5:00:09

Abingdon
    Big G - 3:48:44

29th October
    Dartmoor Vale
    Jelly - 4:11:48
    Big G - 3:57:08

3rd November
    Halloween 
    Big G - 3:55

4th November
    Halloween
    Big G - 4:05

11th November
    Phoenix Remembrance
    Iain - 3:10:41 Winner   

12th November
    Phoenix Jurassic
    Iain - 29.7 miles 4:34

19th November
    Cornish
    Big G - 3:57:50
    Shades - 5:21:42

26th November
    La Rochelle
    mamafox - 3:38:01

3rd December
    Nottingham Christmas
    Big G - PB 3:29:40 

9th December
    Enigma Christmas
    Big G - 3:53

19th December
    Enigma Christmas
    Big G
  • Cal- Glad you enjoyed Spain. Good to hear you mamaged a good run hopefully by taking it easy next year will be Al good.

Jelly- Hope you feel better soon.

In regards Froome I'm a big fan of his and am very disappointed if he has broken the rules.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Just skimmed through, sorry to those I don't mention

Cal - sounds like some encouraging news at least re the running, hopefully you can get back into it now. Glad you had a good trip too.

Shades - well done getting out for a run. Cycling was a bit easier this morning thanks, though the cycle paths are still iced over the roads are practically fine. It's a little above freezing today so with any luck will be melted by tonight.

Ian - good running, you're doing really well committing to getting your runs in at the moment. Like you say, when you don't have as many rest days it's difficult to reschedule runs, but also I guess it means that missing 1 run here and there is less important.

MF - glad to hear you are healing well.

I won't be running with my club tonight, not sure there will be many there anyway. Pavements at the moment are still quite icy, may or may not be better by tonight but I haven't brought my kit to work as I don't expect it will be. I will try and get out for a run from home if it has cleared, might have to be some small loops but should manage something.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I'm normally good with the old vitamins and I also take iron but one from pharmacy so stronger and a lot cheaper. I have been a bit to relaxed with them as I've not been doing the mileage. Lesson learnt. I do eat a lot of fruit so hopefully this is it. As a rule find working outside help avoiding colds as no bugs would be stupid enough to stick around and not having air conditioning. Thanks for sky wear tip Mamafox. I was so fed up with grumpy customers I had mince pie from Warrens and warmed it up in my microwave. Yum yum. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nick - it's a balmy 9 degrees down here now :p   

Not worth the risk for you tonight running on icy pavements.

Jelly - yes, I agree, generally it's healthier working out in the fresh air but not if you get chilled, then the virus moves in with a vengeance.

Big G - I see there's another multi lap marathon at Nottingham in March, on your lake PB course.

Just entered Wrexham and booked hotel. :)

• Shades - That's good of the gritters letting you know where had been done. Probably should have gone for x-ray, but I don't think it's anything serious and as it's open I can still go if I feel I need to get checked out.

SK - Thanks for that link, interesting reading!

I'm hoping it continues to thaw here, so I can get out tomorrow. Might pop out this evening for a few miles if conditions are OK.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - unfortunately that helpful gritter no longer works there, so back to icy pavements.   Hope it thaws for your run tonight.

Well as long as you are getting better, then that's fine.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, thanks for the tip about the Nottingham marathon.  That must have only recently been added I think, as I didn't see it there other day.  I may have missed it I suppose.  I do already have 4 marathons booked and paid for in March....but I am tempted.  I'm out this evening for a Thai meal (my friends are travelling back to NL tomorrow), but I'll look into it tomorrow.

Not long been back from a 7-miler, which was a nice run, if a little cold.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    All-Salted caramel mince pies are amazing and certainly worth the calories.
    Looks like a few more have managed to get out in the conditions so well done to all esp SK with her fitness and one to one session with the coach.
    SK-No time off for me,in fact I'm off Sunday then 6x10hr shifts on the run.
    Track session tonight,found it really hard going,ran nearly 4 miles there and 2 back with 2x1600 and 1x2k at the track.really slowed towards the end but the weather was turning then with heavy rain and wind.
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Hi all, nice 6 miler late afternoon, no sign of any frost here! It seems really strange to see people in shorts and sunglasses walking past a 20 foot high xmas tree!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I was looking to see if a date had been set for the IOM next year as I want to book my flights and saw the Nottingham race here    http://my2.raceresult.com/

Ian - I've never tried salted caramel mince pies, I might try them.
    That was a tough session last night especially in bad weather.

Jugula - for a moment I forgot you were on your hols!!   Hope you're having a lovely time.

Sharp wind in places this morning, but no ice.  Had a lovely run, not seeing many/any other runners out early running these days.

• Ian - Wow 6*10hr shifts is intense work and to think you still manage to get your running in as well, that takes dedication!

Managed to get out for an easy 3 miles last night and another 8 miles this morning. Took both nice and slow as still icy in patches, actually ran half of those miles in the road, as they are in a better state than the pavements!! Hoping the thaw continues, so that I can get my 14 miles in on Saturday then an LT session in on Sunday!
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Shades - sounds like it's warmed up nicely for you.

Ian - don't envy those work shifts. Not sure how you fit running in!

Steve - as you didn't mention your cough/cold I am hoping it's better, well done getting some easy runs in.

Didn't run with the club last night but managed to get out for a run from home. Bit a communication fail meant my wife had made dinner for when I got in - which was very nice of her, but I had planned to go straight out for a run haha. So left it an hour and then went out for an easy 10 miles. I actually really enjoyed it, despite intermittent rain and gusty winds. Ice was mostly gone although I had to be careful in a couple of places and ran on the road for a couple of quiet roads. 8:30/mile average pace, with the last couple of miles being the fastest, which although I consciously pushed on a bit didn't feel too strenuous, which is a good sign.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have recommendations for events in the UK that offer other race distances as well as the marathon - maybe 10K and Half options as well?  Ideally in a good location with things to do for non runners whilst the races are on?  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - good that you managed to get out this morning for your run, it's much safer running on the roads (ice wise) than on the pavements.  I think from Sunday we are due a milder few days with no frost.

Nick - lucky you, dinner on the table when you get home from work.  Probably better running 10 miles after a meal than on an empty stomach when it's cold.

Big G - any particular time of year?   Tenby has the Long Course weekend in July, they could do the swim on the Friday or the bike on the Saturday (I'm not sure if these are full) and the marathon or half marathon on the Sunday.  There is also a 10km and a 5km on the Sunday.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Liverpool has the rock and roll series end of may,full and half on the day and 5k and 10k the day before I think.
  • Big G - Bournemouth have a 5k/10k/HM and marathon. New Forest have the same I think, but definately 10k/HM and marathon. Edinburgh might also do the same.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the recommendations.  Shades, I haven't really got a time of year in mind, so was just looking for options.  I'm thinking of setting up a WAY event for runners and non-runners so I'll have a look around and see if I can arrange something.  

My Dutch friends have flown home today, and I got a 7-mile run in and managed to avoid the rain.  I'm off to a party tonight, for Paignton Zoo staff.   I've been a couple of times previously, and it's usually a great night.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Yeah the New Forest marathon I'm probably doing on 9th Sept (though haven't booked it yet, some of my family mentioned doing it as well so will confirm with them when I see them over xmas) has 5k/10k/HM as well. For spectators they should probably be able to see you a few times along the marathon route without too much trouble or otherwise it's quite a nice area to go for a walk and/or find a nice pub.
  • THere is such a thing as salted caramel mince pies????

Yes Shades you might have guessed food would have me appear randomly ;)

Not ran much cos i have had a 2 week long cough/cold etc but did go out in the early hours whilst on the outskirts of manchester for a conference this morning. It wasn't too slippy or snowy honest ;) Still only wore normal summer gear with the exception of my woolie hat but thats more an aid to hold head torch on as i wear it in the summer too.