Is anyone running while on Forsteo?

I was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis (I am only 34) and today started on Forsteo. My rheumatologist advised not running distances longer than 10km and just wondering if anyone has experience of running on Forsteo?

Answers

• Sounds like sensible advice... Hopefully it is only a short prescription for you and you can up your miles again soon. Perhaps check with your doc if you can do lower impact sports to help maintain your fitness. Good luck!

Jake 

Jake Fricker (Author of "I am a Runner" and qualified coach)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner

PB’s
    5k- 19:03
    10k- 39.28
    HM- 1:28.25
    M- 3:07.59
  • It is a two year course for Forsteo. Too much low impact is not good for bone density so trying to keep up with bodyweight and some shorter distance running.
  • hello happyplodder,

I took forsteo for two years from Summer 2013 to summer 2015 and ran throughout the period (as soon as my spinal fracture had sufficiently resolved to make it relatively pain free). 

How are you doing on it?

I found the first couple of weeks a bit odd (I used to hate needles too!) but then it became unproblematic. I also worked out good routines for travelling etc. It had an extremely good effect on my bone density - and most importantly I have had no further fractures. If it works for you (and it does so very well for most people), I think that its a really good medicine.

Everyone is different, and it is not helpful to give advice without knowing both you and your situation, but it sounds to me like you are doing things right. Listening to the medical advice, keeping up your bodyweight - especially if you have been or are under average weight and running shorter distances. Faster running also tends to be better for building bone density. 

As you will have found out, in general terms and for most of the population, running is good for bone density, however whilst the research evidence is not clearcut, generally it indicates that the benefit increases with increased mileage  to a certain degree and then plateaus and then reduces- so that greater mileage beyond a certain point will reduce bone density. I set a mileage limit for myself for most weeks. As you say low impact exercise is generally not good (I used to do frequent 100 mile plus cycle rides prior to diagnosis which probably did not help). 

Getting diagnosed with osteoporosis came as a shock for me and hit hard after an extremely painful spinal fracture which had been undiagnosed and untreated for several months. As man in my mid forties at the time, i was also atypical - though in different ways to you. I was told I would never be able to run long distance pain free again. Over time, and with the reassurance of on-going monitoring, I have pretty much returned to what I did before (except less cycling), just a few years older and with a bit of wonky back. 

I wish you well in your running and treatment and always happy to chat further.

Best, J