Knee and Achilles pain even after long rest period?

I'm not a high mileage runner, mainly between 3-5 miles 2-3 times a week with the odd (although not for a while) 6-7 miler on a weekend.
I have started to get two things after around 2-3 miles.
Firstly a slight left foot Achilles twinge that becomes more noticeable the more into the run I push past 3 miles.
Second, a sharp pain on the outside of my left knee, which again is not present until around 2-3 miles when it gets progressively worse as I push past that distance.
I have started to notice general stiffness and grumbling knees in the last two years but hope does it was just bad shoes, unjury or some other "temporary" problem that would eventually just...well "go away"?
The sharp pain is more worrying though as it comes back, again after around 2-3 miles or so even after I've rested up for a week or two or more?
Any ideas as I'd hate to think that my running days are over as I am not suited To cycling or swimming as a form of fitness training.
Could it be shoes? They're not that old and have good cushioning (Brooks Adreneline 14 I think)
Could it be that my old orthotics are just not working anymore! They are over 5 years old at least!
Any help or advice appreciated.
I am 55 years old, approx 12st 9 and 5' 8".
Been running on and off for over 15 years.
Mac
Derby.

Comments

• Could be a number of things.  Impossible to say what is causing it without examining you and understanding your history.

Do not run through tendon pain.  Lots of hot baths.  Tendons respond well to moist heat.

The pain on the outside of your knee could be a few things, the obvious one being ITBS.  Strengthen your glute medius, maximus and stretch your hip flexors.  The TFL maybe doing too much work and be tight. 

Why are you wearing orthotics?
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I've worn them for many years now, these are my second pair and they are over 5 years old now. They are full length, made out of a high density but flexible foam.
    I was getting arch blisters and some knee pain so was prescribed orthotics by a local Pod.
    I've often wondered if I still need them or if they at least need re-assessing as I may have changed over the years and as I get older?
    Typically though  I get no knee pain with them except when my shoes are due for replacement i.e. the cushioning has gone.
    My shoes are fairly new still so I doubt it's lack of cushioning although perhaps they just don't suit my feet and/or orthotics?
    Around a year ago, I did get some left knee pain (sharp pain) on the outside of the same (left) knee and after scans and X-Rays I was told it was the cartilage that had squashed out a bit. It could have been "trimmed" but they suggested I didn't unless it was a real problem as it could sometimes accelerate future problems in the knee such as arthritis etc.
    I left it and instead rested for a long time and eventually eased myself back into running.
    I never really got back into longer ruins though to really test it.
    It had been fine since on lower mileage but now it's reared it's head on the outside of the knee this  time. The Achilles pain (also left) could be related or not I don't know?
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    Btw, my shoes are Brooks Glycerine 14,s not Adreneline.
    They are neutral cushioning and I wear them with my orthotics.
    Just realised the Adreneline is support which would potentially cause issues with orthotics.
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    Any more ideas guys?
  • How old are you?  What is your occupation?
    Often, orthotics are the easy way out for a problem higher up the chain.
    Yes, the hips, knees and ankles are all connected.  Patients with poor hip extension and poor hip/core strength regularly present with knee and Achilles pain.
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    Hi, I am 55 in 5 days time!
    I am 5' 8" and weigh 12st 9lb.
    I am an account manager for a water treatment company (constructed wetland/reed beds) so mainly office based with some trips out to clients.
    I have had some hip pain and soreness every now and then but not usually and it is always gone by the next day or so.
    I was told by the Pod years ago that I have one leg longer than the other although only by around 4-5mm and it was supposedly built up in my orthotics.

• Core work, stretching and rollers... 

As you are getting older your tendons will be getting tighter. Your knee and hip grumbles sound like IT Band- get on your foam roller at least 3 times a week for a few mins and this will help. Make sure you stretch after runs - you can even stop after the first mile and stretch IT band.

Some core work will help build stability and help prevent injury. Planks, crunch lunges etc. 

Roller the muscles around tendons to reduce the tightness. Hot and cold in the shower will help muscles flush out knots (20 secs hot then 20 secs cold x4) 

Good luck!

Jake  
    Jake Fricker (Author of "I am a Runner" and qualified coach)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner

PB’s
    5k- 19:03
    10k- 39.28
    HM- 1:28.25
    M- 3:07.59