P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Glad you're back on it spoons.  Ramjet... your marathon pace runs bear no resemblance to those of a year or two back... fantastic progress.  Tom.. great mince pie gobbling... is that a PB? Jooligan... I know what you mean about the trees... it was unbelievable in places yesterday - like one of those assault course obstacle runs you see.  Hazel.. brilliant.  Only 99% of your miles to go - you're nearly there.  And good soggy miles to wenty/westy.

Nothing for me today... too busy with Christmas trees and stuff.  Still hoping to get out for half an hour late, just to get through the psychologically important 20 mile barrier for the week.  Really, in marathon training, it's a min of 25 I like before considering it to be a really bad week...  but I think that's beyond me... but <20 is always really depressing!
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Thanks NE. I guess things have moved in the right direction over time, just slowly and randomly.

Amazing 20 miler Spoons. It a shame you didn’t have a race this weekend being in that kind of form.

Good running Westy, Tom and FBT.

6 very easy miles for me this morning. Looking forward to some more people starting the plan next week and then we can all moan about the LT runs together ?
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Maybe Farah is pretty popular after all.
  • Second place I've never even heard of and third place was Jonnie Peacock, a member of a very minority sport. I don't know if it's just the BBC with their over-the-top, PC, tokenism but I can't believe there weren't better candidates. Personally I would have picked Adam Peaty from that lot, Chris Froome ruling himself out by having too many drags on his inhaler.

Still, Farah definitely deserved to have it in his cabinet at least once, with the worlds 4th best tennis player having won it three times.

11.7 miles tonight including pit-stopping in a bush and finding I still had a leaf onboard when I got home.

• NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I agree about the tokenism in SPOTY Reg. My example would be Jimmy Anderson...  He's 35.  He's a bloody expert and year in, year out, he's delivered.  This year, he passed the magical 500 career test wickets - the 6th person in the history of the game to do so. He'll end this year likely with the best test bowling average and best strike rate of anybody in the world.  He's humble. A gentleman.  His only flaw is that he supports Burnley.

I can't see how he is not on the list when Women's cricket Anya Shrubsole is on there. Granted, she had a storming world cup final... and it's fair that that should put her in contention to reach the short list...  but that final where she took 6/46 was the 9th game of the world cup... and she only took 6 wickets (for 233) in the previous eight matches!!.  In other words, she contributed next to nothing except for that purple patch.  Then off she went to tour Australia... and again zilch.  A grand total of 4 wickets in 7 matches.

There's no doubt that the short-list was drawn up by a committee with an agenda!

Anyway... back to running...  I left the house at 10.53pm and ran 20 minutes for 2.1 miles.  Got me over that 20 mile mark for the week!
  • Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    The BBC have announced that they are changing the name from sports personality to sports diversity and equality of the year! 
    As a tortoise I'm up for it next year!

I thought it would be Hamilton Joshua and peaty. I have never even heard of The second and third place winners. Mo deserves it though!

northender , with 2.1 miles in 20 mins you might join me next year as a contender for SDAEOTY!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Shall I mention the cricket now?
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    As someone who's not grown up with the SPOTY the whole thing seems a bit strange. It's not the best performing sportsperson of the year, it's the sportsperson with the best personality for the year and then Andy Murray wins it all the time, even though he seems to have very little personality.

I think Jonnie Peacock has benefitted from being on Strictly this year. I've also never heard of the second placed guy. People must really not like Hamilton.

NE - Even I quite like Jimmy Anderson
  • Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    HA - of course you can mention the WOMENS cricket. They deserved the SPOTY team award!
    (I like jimmy as well)
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    I'm coming out as someone who also likes Andy Murray as well as Mo Farah.
    I actually didn't watch SPOTY, couldn't be arsed with it. Surprised Joshua and Hamilton didn't get in top 3.
    6mi easy for me today, Foggy here today. Nice, boring weather this week, great for running. Next week looks windy.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    I quite like Andy Murray too but I wouldn't give him an award for personality.
  • That’s got to be a yellow card HA.

I used to love SPOTY as a kid but don’t seem to find the time to watch it these days.  Worlds greatest might be stretching it but this country’s current greatest is a fair description of Mo imho, plus he is a Gooner.  

Yesterdays 18m w 8@mp (nice one Ram) or kids school xmas concert ? Dilemmas.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Murray keeps crying in public, or getting angry on the court, or speaking out for Scottish nationalism or women's tennis equality etc. I'd say he has quite a lot of personality. He just sounds very monotonous and unemotional in a lot of interviews.
  • SPOTY - Mo was deserving of his win. Hamilton should have got top 3 though. Don't think Joshua deserves it yet, he only beat Klitchko who Fury had previously beat, maybe next year if he has a good year and beats Wilder and Parker to unify the division.

Nice MP session Ramjet, long run NE and Spoons. Good parkruns Jools, Macca and Reg.

14 miles on Saturday, then 8 miles on Sunday for my LT session. 15 mins (6:38 average) and 12 mins (6:45 average), wasn't what I was after (6:30 target). Was a tough session and hopefully I can improve from here and push on, just under 40 miles for the week.
  • I also didn't watch it. I loved it as a child but that's when it was the Sports Review of the Year and not some stupid sports Oscar ceremony. With so little sports coverage back then, it was a chance to actually watch some sports highlights.

I don't have an issue with Murray winning it once but three times? My issue is that it's a factor of things that have nothing to do with with him that means he wins. Firstly it's a BBC programme and Wimbledon/Olympics are on BBC. Secondly he's the only British player in his sport so the votes won't get diluted and finally he's won the tournament that the British people actually care about so and anything else is irrelevant.

The reason Mo won this year is because it wasn't an Olympic year and his potential votes aren't being stolen by all the other gold medal winners that are ostensibly in his pool of potential votes. The worst one ever was Zara Phillips, imagine if she played tennis.

Nice LT run Steve surely doing a long run the day before is going to make it difficult to hit the paces.
  • Reg - Yes, wasn't the best idea to do 14 miles the day before! LT run was meant to be during the week, but that got pushed back due to the icy weather. This weeks will be during the week, so will see how that goes....although I do hate LT runs!!
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Steve: not bad LT the day after a 14 miler!

First LT run for me today - 9mi w4mi@LT later this evening. I shuffle the plan around so my long run is Saturday morning and so the LT run is a day early as well.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Fair enough Westy.

Nice LT Steve and great MP runs Ramjet and NE.

Cracking long run from Spoon too. Very impressive improvement. It's not so long ago that was your marathon pace.   

Missed your leaf comment last time Reg. You're a filthy animal. 

9 mile Hills + Progression today. I was shamed into it by SQ but glad I did in the end as it's a good session and even though it wasn't particularly fast I felt I was running pretty strongly at the end. All this talk of MP and LT runs makes me glad I've only gone for a 12 week program.

How about the Ashes?
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Ashes?
    Never heard of it.
    Got my LT run tomorrow after postponing from the weekend, need to find another excuse....
    Just saw Reg's leaf comment too. Funny!
  • Nice fell race pic by the way Jools - missed that - and yet another interesting sounding race - the Xmas Tree one.   Home-made cake is always a good reason to take part in a race.

Hope you got back into your car HA and the 19 miles compensated for the hassle.

Hope your foot gets better soon FBT.

I also qualify for a 0 parkruns t-shirt Tom but I have a good excuse as there aren't any here.  Might do one though (Northampton probably) next time I get over to the UK to see what it is about.  Good mince pie score.

Some great miles being run over the weekend.    

Didn't watch SPOTY even though I do get BBC.  The Swiss equivalent is pretty boring as Roger Federer almost always wins - tennis gives them bonus points it seems.  

Just a pre-breakfast 4.3 mile recovery run for me yesterday morning prior to a snowshoe outing.  Good thing I have a rest day today as I have a bit of quad DOMS from shuffling down a long steep hill.  Did do some cross-training today though - shovelling snow from A to B.  Our Christmas forecast says green rather than white - we are currently being promised slush - not my favorite ground conditions for running.
  • Haven't posted in ages. Work has been completely manic.

It looks like I have missed way too much to comment on everything, so I won't try. Lots of good training and racing going on though. Congrats to AWC on a great sub 20 pb, and to Reg on his heroic post party run to work.

We had no snow in Kent, but it was bloody cold for most of last week, with plenty of ice on my usual routes, which has definitely helped me to slow down. It wasn't bad enough to stop you getting out though, so I ended up with 52 miles for the week, including an unplanned 18 miles when I got hopelessly lost on Saturday. Decided yesterday had better be a rest day, which was annoying as it broke my advent streak.

Like others my 18 week plan for London starts today. I have shuffled things about a bit, so earlier I did 9 miles with 4@LT. It came out at 3 x 7:09 and 1 x 7:10, so pretty much 10 mile race pace according to online predictors. First mile felt rubbish but got better thereafter. Although this week's running will end up pretty similar to last, it's good to get started on the plan.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Andy: well done on the LT run 

HA: the Ashes  :D:D:D

LT Run came out at 6:36/mile for the LT part which is faster than I expected so happy with that as a starter. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    SPOTY: I skim watched it for the first (& almost certainly last) time ever. Glad Mo won but agree that Jimmy Anderson should've made the shortlist at least. Hamilton's a tax dodger so sucks as far as I'm concerned. Joshua seemed like a top man but one fight doesn't really equate with others achievements.
    Running: good sessions HA, Andy, Steve & AWC. Shitty luck Reg ;) 
    Cheers Hazel - I didn't actually do the Xmas tree race just jogged over there & did the final mile climb then cheered a few folk in before joining the post-race refreshments/prize-giving. I'd taken the precaution of carrying a backpack with warm clothes to change in to. Really glad I had as it began to rain just as I joined the course: I got soaked & very cold. It's a great event with loads of fancy dress, a junior 2K & a cani-X race too. The winner of the cani-X was Ben Robinson who broke the parkrun timing system a couple of weeks ago running 12:24 at Kingsbury Water. He came past as I reached the bottom of the climb & fair to say he flew up the hill. He did the 5.5M in 28:19!
    13.3M along the Wye Valley on a mix of tarmac n hard trail after almost 3K in the pool (got kicked out coz the session was over). Lovely day & no ice underfoot. Had to negotiate 2 trees each way but much easier than my local tracks. Might go back & do it the other way round tomorrow.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Impressive distance in the pool that Jooligan.

Nice LT pace AWC (and Andy!)

Steady 12 miles for me after work. No ice, no drama, just don’t really like running on streets in the dark. It is hard to see every bump or drop on the pavement and my legs take a battering.

The cycle to work this morning was a bit more exciting: managed to come off at about 2 mph. Made the mistake of turning and pedalling while on ice. Oh well, no more ice for quite a while now hopefully.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Ramjet: I don't like those MLRs in the dark either especially because there are so many little ups and downs. Its difficult to get into a proper rhythm and it ends up feeling like a tough run.

Had a confrontation with a cyclist last night on my run. We have a footpath and cycle path beside each other in our park and I was running on the cycle path to avoid pedestrians. A cyclist rode straight at me and I had to put my hands out to deflect myself off to the side and avoid him.

He chased me down and accused me of attacking him. He called me a c*#t, a w*nker, a paddy who should f*#k off back to Ireland (I'm a actually a Brit from Northern Ireland!), I was an IRA sympathiser who had done enough violence in his country, he said he hoped I would die of cancer and that I was gay so would never have any kids (I have a little girl :D ).

The only words I said throughout the whole thing was to try and explain why I was on the edge of the cycle path, and following another outburst and the offer of a punch up, that his kids would be pretty proud of their Dad acting like this.

I think I made it worse by laughing at him as he went through this tirade but it was such a ridiculous outburst that it was hilarious.

He rode ahead at one point and blocked the path with himself and his bike as he wanted to have a fight. This was a grown man in his 40/50s with serious anger issues. I wasn't really scared at any point as he was very overweight so I knew I could run away at any point but a bit of a shock all the same.
  • Sounds like you scared him AWC but what a c*ck. I hate oncoming cyclists at night as their lights dazzle me so I can't see the trail then leave me with destroyed night vision. Walkers are even more annoying though since A) they don't really need a light - I run without one & B) they certainly don't need to point it at my face - sometimes they turn round to do it!!
    Hope there was nothing but pride damaged Ramjet.
    Lovely day here again so since I'm off work another HM beckons :)
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    That's a shocker AWC. There are some idiots around. Really is unbelieveable. I could understand if you were a bit shaken up by it. I had a run in with a dog owner last week. Me and my mate were doing some hill sprints when his big dog ran at us, barking aggressively while he was busy looking at his phone. He said you've got to expect being chased when you're running fast and that we were arrogant for assuming we could run as fast as we like. I told him he was a halfwit.

Easy 10 miles including a few miles with Joe along the river. Cold and icy in spots but a nice morning out there.

In other news, I found out this morning that I've got a new job (same company, different office). New office is closer and not in London so the commute will be much easier. About 11 miles from home so I might try the run commute from time to time.  
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    HA: great news on the job and good timing before Christmas to have something sorted. I've had a few run ins with dog walkers - I mean they are supposed to keep them on a lead if they can't control them right? To be fair most of them just say sorry which I don't really mind and always acknowledge them.
  • Congrats HA, time to buy a bike  ;)

AWC - Love that story, I had a similar run in with a Pikey and he was so emotionally stunted and sweary it was annoying as I had so many clever things to say but he just didn't stop shouting and that's not my style.

Eventually all I got in was "you need to calm down mate" to which he replied in a shouty short, "I know!"

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Wow what a crazy reaction AWC. I suspect he was already in a foul mood and you were an outlet for all the frustration.

Well done on the new job Ha.

6 miles recovery run into work for me this morning. Got my standing desk at work now and standing after a run feels so much nicer.