Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, got back from Lanzarote last night, I found running in the warm surprisingly easy and enjoyable. 
    Shades, I did run Portsmouth about 3 years ago, well limped most of it with an ITB problem! It's a good event but can be tough around Hayling Billy and the last few miles along the seafront is torture if there is a head wind.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Yes confirm I'm no worse. Running in a giant present isn't too bad, I was definitely the warmest trotter. 
  • Jelly - Great costume!!
    Steven - Good job you didn't go down as that could have been nasty!
    Shades - Agreed on finding what works. Will see how this year goes, but may even give ultras a miss in 2019 if I find I enjoy the shorter distance training. Although I do find I enjoy a long easy run rather than an LT/interval session!!

As for running marathons as training runs. Isn't there some science behind it that there is little benefit of going over 20-22 miles due to the extra recovery time needed? Anyway, from my ultra training I've found they don't wipe me out so long as I run them at about 1:30 min/mile slower than race pace, granted however I only did that a few times in training and not every other weekend like Big G/Shades!!

8 miles me for this morning, was meant to be 7 with strides, but switched to an easy 8, as it looked a bit frosty out and wasn't sure if it was slippy or not!
  • Morning All

Hope everyone is well. I've not been on here much lately, busy juggling work and training. 
    I had a great half marathon Sunday in Portsmouth.
    I'm really seeing the benefits of Shade's plan.
    The run was mostly offroad on trail paths, through some woods and along a section of the beach. Although the course was a little bit longer 13.5miles, I still crossed the line in 1:48 with an avg pace of 8:02min/miles.
    I played the first half cautiously then I picked up the pace for the last 6 miles, I even managed 7:36min/mile for mile 13  :)   (Normally only see that pace at the ParkRun).
    Felt really strong and the race not too taxing. Realise now that I could of pushed sub 8min/miles from the start. Potentially even set a new PB!
    Feeling great going into 2018.
    Thanks for all the support and motivation so far.

Cant wait to get home tonight and put my trainers on again.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome home Jugula.. to the cold and fog :(

Jelly - good, I was hoping that was a typo by your phone.   Must have been difficult to see where to put your feet in the costume, but plenty of room to stash a few extra mince pies. ;)

1SteveMac said:

Shades - Agreed on finding what works. Will see how this year goes, but may even give ultras a miss in 2019 if I find I enjoy the shorter distance training. Although I do find I enjoy a long easy run rather than an LT/interval session!!

As for running marathons as training runs. Isn't there some science behind it that there is little benefit of going over 20-22 miles due to the extra recovery time needed? Anyway, from my ultra training I've found they don't wipe me out so long as I run them at about 1:30 min/mile slower than race pace, granted however I only did that a few times in training and not every other weekend like Big G/Shades!!

8 miles me for this morning, was meant to be 7 with strides, but switched to an easy 8, as it looked a bit frosty out and wasn't sure if it was slippy or not!
    You've entered that 24 hour relay haven't you, so that will turn into an ultra for you I expect.   

Yes, I'd agree with that about the recovery time wiping out the benefit of running further than 20-22 miles.   But for you 1:30 slower than race pace is the right training pace for you for long runs.

Hope the milder weather moves your way now too, we're not due any frost at least for the next week :)

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    OTB - that's a brilliant result at Portsmouth, you know now that a PB is on the cards for you at your next half marathon.    We can then recalculate your training paces.

You've done really well settling into the plan, I thought I was going to have to tie your laces together to slow you down.  ;)  But you're obviously really enjoying your running at the moment.  
  • Shades - For 2018 I'm doing Guernsey ultra (36 miles) and Endure 24 hour. I know I can recover OK after 36 miles and have plenty of time before my marathon (5 months). Endure will be a relay type race so I'll only do one lap at a time (2 at a push), but can't see me running that far as it's only 2 weeks (I think) after Guernsey.

For 2019 I'm tempted by DD and a 50 miler, but may give them a miss if I enjoy the shorter stuff this year.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - you have a fondness for the Channel Isles.

I already have you on the Shadies list for 2019 DD  :)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    A very quick update but I got it done in 3:58. 

I had a real bad patch in the middle and had to really dig in to get under 4hrs, so from that point of view I'm pleased with the time. But it was really tough. My 3:29 felt easy in comparison - how does that work!!

Icy conditions for the first 2 or 3 laps didn't help as I was really tentative, and I'm really aching now probably from being tense. 

But that's 20 marathons this year, including 12 sub-4s so I'm pleased. 

Long drive back now, and my customary KFC will be enjoyed at Bristol!
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Well done Big G 
  • Congrats Big G - 20 marathons and 12 sub-4s is very impressive. I remember when you hadn't run one sub 4!! Massive congrats!!
    Shades - Well a fondness for running around them, as the Strava map looks pretty cool :D
  • LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Well done BigG - that's a very impressive 2017 you have had. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.  :)

Jelly, I just posted to the Trotters page, but it'll possibly be of interest here too. 

We've had notice that a popular local race, Torbay 10K, isn't being ran next year, partly due to increased costs associated with road closures. The RD said in an email that the race had been going for nearly 40 years, but the club are hoping to start an off-road race instead. 

I've got a replacement for the Club Champs and the committee have agreed the change, but it's still a shame for such a popular local race. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well done another sub 4 bagged, conditions sound tough.   Great achievement 20 marathons this year and lots of PB's.   

I'll even forgive you the KFC ;)  You've earned it.

That's a shame about the Torbay 10k.   Pity it's being replaced with an off road event, would have been better if they'd looked for a new road course not on the seafront on a BH weekend.

Steve - did you do the Isle of Wight ultra?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Got home, but it was busy with the roads.  The journey about 1hr longer than last week!

Shades, yeah, it wasn't ideal conditions today.  The first 2 or 3 laps especially you had to be careful to avoid slipping over, but once it got a bit warmer it got a bit better.  I went through half way in about 1:58 and at this point I was really thinking that sub-4 wasn't going to happen as I was struggling quite a lot.  I just couldn't get a rhythm, it was cold, hamstrings and shoulders were beginning to ache, etc.  But with two laps to go I knew I could potentially do it, although it was going to be tight, so was pleased to be able to dig in and get it done.

It's a bit strange as the first couple of laps I was telling myself that if I fell over, I'd just DNF - I wasn't going to do a MF ;)  But each lap I kind of kept on saying to myself "OK, just do one more and see how it goes".  It was the wrong attitude really as I almost defeated myself even before I'd started, but overall I'm happy with the time.

If someone had told me this time last year I'd have done 20 marathons this year, a double marathon, actually enjoy an off-road marathon, and knocked over 30mins off my PB, I wouldn't have believed them!  Out of that lot, only 3:30 was even remotely on my agenda...even though this time last I hadn't broken 4hrs!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Early (for me!) morning recovery run done.  Very stiff and a bit sore, especially on left hip/knee area.  Not an injury, just stiffness I think.  It was really more of a shuffle than anything!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that must have been a long trip home, there does seem to be a lot of traffic around.

Nice and early for your recovery run today, I expect the cold during your marathon and the longer drive have contributed to your post race soreness.   

What you described about not getting into a rhythm is what happens to me when I run a marathon in cold conditions and my legs particularly my hamstrings feel sore when it's cold, I just don't seem to be comfortable and can't relax.

Sometimes you do have to bargain with yourself and "OK, just do one more and see how it goes"   is the way to delay the temptation of stopping altogether when you don't feel so good.   It's useful and often needed  more in ultras.

You've had a cracking year.  I'd like to think you could be up for an award at the Trotter's do, you certainly deserve it.

Much nicer today for my run without the ice and frost, just a bit of fog but nothing too bad.

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Shades - No, not done the Isle of Wight, but have looked at it. Would like to do it one year, but not sure if it's best to do it in one day or over 2 as I've seen events for both!

7 miles this morning, felt good. Forgot to do my strides though!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - I've heard good reports about the IOW events   I think I'd rather get it done in one day.

BTW I was keeping an eye open for the Anglo Celtic Plate event for 2018 as it's a fast 50/100km on tarmac but next year it looks like it's only the 100km.  It's in Wales on Easter Saturday just in case you're interested ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the bargaining with myself did seem to work, but mentally even on the start line I had a thought I may not even finish the race (due to the ice), which probably wasn't the ideal mindset.  I think the rhythm was the main issue - it's quite a twisty course anyway, and with the ice it just seemed quite stop-start, and I kind of felt I was putting the brakes on all the time, and fighting against myself in a way.  I probably wasted a lot of energy in the first half especially!

For the awards night, I do happen to know the shortlist.  I can't confirm or deny if I'm on it or not .... ;)  .... but I definitely do not know the winners.  For the "most improved" the men's and ladies captains make their nominations at the committee meeting, and then it's a secret vote to make it a surprise on the night.  I think only the club secretary knows the winners.  There is a Chairman's cup as well, and Chair did nominate me for that, which is very nice of him (if a bit embarrassing as I was sitting right by him at the time!), but a lot of people do lots for the club - none more so than him!  It could pretty much be a full time job if he let it, and in the run up to the DD and other races, it's very full on for him I think.  And no, I didn't vote for myself for the cup!

I've really enjoyed being on the committee actually, so I'm hoping I get re-elected at the AGM again in Feb.  I can't be at the meeting itself unfortunately, but I'll put my name down for the Club Champs role and hope I get it.  I do feel I've added a bit of value with various things I've brought up at the meetings, so all being well I'll get the role again.  I am stepping down from the press role at the AGM though, but that's not a committee position.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's the main reason I don't like off road as I like to get into a rhythm and not have to look so carefully about every time I put my foot down to the ground.

Well I hope you are duly rewarded at the awards night and you do work hard for the club, the Press role is every single week and although you can get cover when you're away it's not a job that can be put off even for a day.   I don't think they'll want to lose you from the Committee.  
    I won the most improved female in 1997, still have the cup on my printer shelf, and in 2000 I won a special award for running 18 marathons/ultras in one year.   At that time they thought I was mad doing so many distance events and I don't think they thought they would ever see that as not too unusual within the club.   That plaque used to hang on the wall in my hall, but the metal Trotters logo which was stuck on the plaque used to fall off, even when I tried to glue it back on it would fall off in the middle of the night.   The plaque is now in a cupboard somewhere, I've replaced it with this.   

• Jelly - wow, can't even imagine trying to run in that! Props to you!
    Big G - you've become an unstoppable force of nature!

Saw Star Wars yesterday and I absolutely do not regret hauling myself out of bed at stupid o' clock to go to the 6.30am showing. (When I see a big movie, it has to be at the Waterloo IMAX - the largest screen in the UK - and it has to be in one of my preferred seats. That showing was the only pre-Christmas one where I could get the seat I wanted). Very much enjoyed it. So no run (although since I'm doing three runs a week, no issues there).

But I ran 6 miles today. That's the furthest I've gone since the injury. It was a little warmer than Monday so I went a bit slower - finished in a smidge under 1 hr 03. Calves were a bit gripey towards the end but that's not surprising given the length of my lay-off.

I realised I've got 8 and a half weeks until my first race of next year (Hampton Court half). Eek!
  • Thanks for the link, Shades. That’s a good price and I’m tempted. I tried on the Guide ISOs the other day though and I think they will be my next pair as I really love the orange colour!

Big G - well done on #20, great end to your year.

Cal - we are going to see it tomorrow and my kids also insist on going to an iMax. My oldest has already seen it (but is coming to see it again) and keeps almost giving spoilers.

Did a nice 7 miles with my club last night and then some drinks after. I’ve realised that I’ve run 9 days in a row and foot is still fine. Might do the Hill session tonight and then tomorrow we have a Winter Solstice run at 6:30am to watch the sun rise, followed by breakfast in the Morrison’s cafe! 

Off work now until 2018
    and have braved Sainsbury’s already!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - 6 miles is great, you're making a speedy recovery now.

Amazing how quickly those races which seem far away suddenly gallop towards us.

SK - yes, that is a good price.  I nearly ordered a pair but don't really want to buy right now, so will resist at least until next week.   

Brilliant that your foot seems fine.

I've cancelled my Pilates for tomorrow morning and will get the final food shop done instead, just want to get it done and dusted.

Luckily as I don't work I can avoid the Xmas shopping frenzy but I have to go to the Vodafone shop, don't think I can face it this side of Xmas.  Not a simple visit either but I have to show the staff an email I've had from Vodafone, which they can't trace and then they will honour the cheaper plan offered in the email.  Once I've shown the email then I have to phone customer service while I'm in the shop.  I couldn't send the email to Vodafone as they're not allowed to receive emails, crazy   :#
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Marathon List 

13th March
    Enigma - Milton Keynes
    Big G - PB 3:54:17   

2nd April
    Manchester
    Cal - PB 4:29:29  
    Ian5 -  4:29
    Steve -  PB 3:10:15  
    NickW2 - PB 3:24:59  

9th April
    Paris
    SuzSaville82 - PB 4:26  
    Rotterdam
    Emmy 4:42
    Brighton
    Louey  - 4:24:45

23rd April
    London
    Big G - 4:00:59
    Iain Love - 2:57:49
    Slowkoala - 3:12:43
    Southampton
    Jugula - 4:21

29th April
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:29
    Shades - 5:01

7th May
    Great Welsh
    Shades - 4:44:12

13th May
    Marathon de Blaye 
    mamafox - 3:40 - 3rd place and she did win the wine  

14th May
    Hereford
    Shades - 4:45:59

21st May
    Worcester
    Shades - 4:53:46
    Leiden
    Big G - 3:54:25
    Emmy - 4:42:59 (including beer stops)

27th May
    Saturday Night
    Iain - 3:20:45 Winner   

28th May
    Liverpool
    Cal - 4:37:52
    Dorchester
    Shades - 4:56:16

3rd June
    Dartmoor Discovery
    Shades  - PB 6:32:17 

11th June
    Yeovil Marathon
    Shades - 5:13

15th June
    Dorney Lake 6 Hour
    Shades - 5:29:59  B 

18th June
    Enigma Clueless
    Big G - 5:09:58 B

24th June
    Giantshead
    Emmy - 5:56

24th/25th June
    Harp 24
    mowzer - 28 miles

25th June
    Boddington Marathon
    Shades - 4:59:57

2nd July
    Wirral Ultra
    Ian5 - PB 7:01 

9th July
    LDWA From Here to There
    mowzer 9:06

15th July
    Chiltern Challenge 50km
    Steve - PB 5:06 

23rd July
    Ironman Marathon
    Iain - 3:29:54

29th July
    Enigma Planes
    Big G - 4:35

6th August
    Gloucester
    Big G - 3:58:10

12th August
    SVP 100km
    Steve -  PB 12:22 

13th August
    mowzer - 7:50

Isle of Man
    Shades - 4:59:06

3rd September
    City to Sea 
    Big G - 5:28:53

14th September
    Dorney Lake 
    Big G - 4:14:12

17th September
    Lancaster
    Ian -  PB 3:34:41 

24th September
    Loch Ness
    Shades 5:06:10

1st October
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:44:59

8th October 
    Chester
    Ian - PB 3:31:26 

Munich
    Big G - PB 3:42:38 

Yorkshire
    Lily - PB 5:07:15 

15th October
    Birmingham
    Steve - 3:18:47
    John - PB 4:43:52 
    Jelly - PB 4:06:20 

Burton Bradstock
    Big G - 3:54:24S
    Shades - 5:15:07

22nd October
    Marine Corps Marathon
    Emmy - 5:00:09

Abingdon
    Big G - 3:48:44

29th October
    Dartmoor Vale
    Jelly - 4:11:48
    Big G - 3:57:08

3rd November
    Halloween 
    Big G - 3:55

4th November
    Halloween
    Big G - 4:05

11th November
    Phoenix Remembrance
    Iain - 3:10:41 Winner   

12th November
    Phoenix Jurassic
    Iain - 29.7 miles 4:34

19th November
    Cornish
    Big G - 3:57:50
    Shades - 5:21:42

26th November
    La Rochelle
    mamafox - 3:38:01

3rd December
    Nottingham Christmas
    Big G - PB 3:29:40 

9th December
    Enigma Christmas
    Big G - 3:53

19th December
    Enigma Christmas
    Big G - 3:58
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Right that was our full and final list for 2017, unless someone nips off to do another in the last 10 days of the year ;) 

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I wondered how the nominations worked for awards. I don't envy those who have to vote, myself and Runforthehills we're talking about who we thought would be nominated for most improved and promising new comer and we came up with lots who we thought have had a great year for lots of reasons.   
  • Shades - I make that 66 events.....that's some going by the thread this year!! Thanks, interesting in trying a flat 50k, but not interested in another 100k at the moment!!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Great effort to get sub 4 yet again.
    Louey-Well done as that sounds a tough course with the extra distance.
    Shades-Thats a mammoth list,well done on keeping it updated.
    Apologies if I've missed anyone but just a quick pop in from me,funny you should say that about the final list as I debated doing 1 on nye instead of my 20 miler but thought better of it.No running yet this week unfortunately but may sneak a few tonight or tomorrow.