Hi all newbie here.

Hi all I've just started up regular running again after a 10 year gap, I have done a few odd ones in between but now I've started back up a bit more seriously. I find it helps with the siactica I've had for years. I started back about 2 weeks ago only just over 1 mile but I want to get back into it steadily, but I'm achieving 8:45 minute miles so I'm quite please with that. Tonight I've just started adding more distant just under, 1.5 mile tonight. 

Comments

• Good luck. I expected to find a question here though?

• Hello, welcome and good luck with your running.
  • Hi Newbie ;) keep running!
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Run slower before adding distance.   Better to build up to running continuously for 30 minutes than try to go too fast
  • I am also a newbie. But I mean I am not started yet. I am 58 and I must weight alot about 18 stone. 5 foot 6. I am going to start on the slider I have here 20 mins a day. I am looking for a bit of encouragement and support. I live in Brighton UK. I stopped smoking for 9 months but have noticed I am smoking since a holiday. I need to commit to stop again and a date perhaps. Well the packet runs out soon....I am a long way off running. I did it once and used to get exhausted to run for a minute even..so it put me off. I struggled to breath actually...but I want to get there..does not have to break records just want to be able to run for 10 or 20 mins would be great. What hope is there for me. Good luck to Skywalker 2 it seems his body remembers he was a runner once.
  • I also have a stent fitted to my heart they encourage exercise for this..but can get alittle angina sometimes through stress or exercise so guess its best to start off in slow motion a question of less is more! I really like people to encourage me. and help me to going motivation is an issue.
  • Fosyrosie- Not sure how active you currently are but maybe just try getting out for a 20-30 minute walk a few times a week for a few weeks before you try running. Then when you attempt running if running for 1 minute is to much try running for 30 seconds at a time during the walk a few times and build up from there. Look on the internet or an apps for a couch to 5k plan, you don't have to do the 5k but the plans start of with a run walk approach. And don't worry about pace either, if you think its running its running!
  • I'm new to running.... well new to walking actually... but i got a samsung gear fit 2 watch off gumtree for £50. What a great motivational tool it is, best tech i've ever bought. It encourages me to do 6000 steps and an hours activity a day, you can change the targets to suit, but it does change your outlook. I went from being unable to walk to the end of the road, to now walking for an hour which it says at my pace is 4.2 miles, twice daily! I've gone slow, started 5 months ago but have lost 3 stone with it. Best thing is i don't see it as a chore that perhaps i did when starting, i really enjoy my walks. Good luck to you Fosyrosie22
  • I'm new to running too, I've been building up with walking and want to start C25K. I've joined the forums for advice, to meet people in similar circumstances to me and to learn. :smile:
  • Greetings, 1st post on this forum!
    After 2 years of not running after knee op I recently started participating in ParkRun which I thoroughly enjoy. 
    I have a few varicose veins in one leg which give me no trouble and was wondering if it possible to run comfortably with a compression stocking. 
  • Welcome! I'm new on here but not new to running. That said since hitting 40 I'm taking it a lot more seriously lol. Mid life crisis maybe?!!
  • Sorry to hijack this thread but please can someone tell me how to start a discussion? Read somewhere you have to post 3 comments first but I've posted about 6 and still can't see the button… Thank you!
  • I was about to ask the same thing Victoryrolls. Have you worked out how to do it yet? This is my first comment ?
  • I think it's 10 comments before you can start a thread but don't quote me on that as this is my first :sunglasses:
  • OK, so that smiley didn't work :|
  • Hello everyone btw, especially the OP Skywalker. 8:45 is great pace after a 10 year gap. Keep that up!
  • I am new here too, good luck !
  • I'm new here too, how did you get on Skywalker?
  • kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
    Hi also new here how do I start a new topic?
  • Congrats on your first new topic, Kmo! I hope to post mine soon, too  :D
  • I am new on this site. I have been running since May last year but have had time out between illness, nothing serious, holiday and a sore knee. Getting back into it but have been ill with flu. I am signed up for a half marathon in May and now wondering if I will get there. Good luck to all newbies :-)
  • I am new on this site. I have been running since May last year but have had time out between illness, nothing serious, holiday and a sore knee. Getting back into it but have been ill with flu. I am signed up for a half marathon in May and now wondering if I will get there. Good luck to all newbies :-)
  • Hi there
    I am also new and find it weird you cant start a topic.
    I have started running with a view to doing a half marathon in October. I have signed up for this as a motivational tool as I find I need something to work towards.
    I am now in my third week of going for runs but worry I may be overdoing it a bit for a beginner.
    I am doing a run every 2 days with a rest day in between. Each of these runs is 3-4.5 miles. These runs are in the local area and inevitably involve a bit of a walk every now and then (I am quite unfit).

I went on a run yesterday and noticed significant tightness in my left calf muscle but otherwise felt ok.

is my body trying to tell me something?

Also I have found that I have been having a very slight ache in joints etc nothing painful, I am assuming this is just my body getting used to this new activity.

In my runs so far (with the walking included) I have been doing about 11-12minutes per mile.

I suppose my question is just about reassurance am I doing the right thing?
    Do I need to up my game or slow it down a bit?

I have quite enjoyed most of the runs I have done so far and felt as though I could do a bit more if needed.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are doing the right thing.  Keep going with the run walk thing, reduce the walking as you get fitter.  Going from nothing to 4.5 mile runs in 3 weeks is a big jump, most people take longer than that unless they are coming from another endurance sport.  It's a good idea to set runs by time, e.g. go running for 30 mins with a walk every 5 for 30 seconds.  

As for calf tightness, active warm ups like lunges and leg swings before running and static stretching after running should help.  On the days between runs, light stretching and/or foam rolling will help.  Lookup foam rolling for runners if you're not sure what I'm on about.  If the pain persists or gets worse, it is a sign of a more serious problem or that you are overdoing it, it takes time for your body to adapt to running.
  • Thank you for the advice
    I think the apps such as runkeeper etc can sometimes be a hindrance as I have already found myself pushing to gain new achievements when perhaps I should just stick to getting on my feet and having a run.
    I am pretty unfit but am not coming from a point of zero exercise. I have looked at the training plans eg the great run training plans and I think they assume absolutely nothing as these plans say I should just be walking at the moment with practically no running.
    I will keep doing what I amm doing for a few weeks and hopefully it will be a natural progression as my fitness improves.
  • Good Luck and keep it up
  • Sorry I'm new here, how can I start a new topic in the "training" forum please? Thanks!
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    tjubix said:
    Sorry I'm new here, how can I start a new topic in the "training" forum please? Thanks!
    @tjubix You can't start a new topic until you have posted a few times.  It's to help stop spam bots.