Tips on completing my marathon training plan

So i started my training last June when i could barely run 5km. Initially i planned to use the walk run approach but quickly found running was way more enjoyable without the walk breaks. I gradually followed my plan up to 10 miles last month when - you guessed it - it band pain struck. I had 3 weeks out and am now gradually starting up again although still feel the occasional twinge I am doing yoga which is helping. My question is this, the Milton Keynes Marathon, my goal is 7th May, can i still get there? I'm so determined and the thought of having had practically a month off freaks me out but do you think I've got enough time? Do I need to start back doing 6 miles etc? I'm obviously still so new to all this so any advice greatfuly received. Oh and I'm 40 and female and I was already fit before starting this. Tia 

Comments

• Sorry if I should have put this in the beginners section but I thought no one would know there as they were less likely to have the experience behind them. :)
  • I'm currently training for a marathon in early April and only started my training just over a week ago. Most training plans are 17 weeks long so yes you have plenty of time to get in shape for your marathon!

I've not run a marathon yet but I am a fairly experienced runner otherwise and I would say the first thing you have to sort out is your little injury. When you feel fine just go for an easy run and see how your body feels during and after exercise. When you can run comfortably every other day then I would suggest you'd be fine to start progressing on that. You will prolong your injury if you keep running on it though, so take it easy and listen to your body.

My profile won't allow me to post links yet but google "beginner 17 week marathon training plan" and click on the first link for the Virgin London Marathon site. By the sounds of it you would be perfectly fine managing this. You could even substitute some of the early walking stages for more easy-paced running if you feel it's too easy. This way you're not jumping into doing too many miles too soon and injuring yourself again.

Good luck and have fun
  • Thank you so much I really needed someone to say it was still possible. I'd built up such a good mileage each week it was hard not to lose hope with the forced time out I'd had.

I had always been lead to believe that these short training plans were inadequate but if i remember all the work ive dond beforehand then maybe not? I have the Hal Higdon book and checked that after your suggestion and he also has a number of 18 week plans which I think may start a bit easy but would work at hopefully getting back into it without aggravating further injury. I hope adequate stretching and avoidance of camber roads for a bit might do it.

Thank you for the vote of confidence though I really needed it.
  • Yes you can do it. Just let the injury sort itself out and then work from there. Don't worry too much about following a plan exactly, all plans are guidelines and as long as you are running more or less in line with them then you'll be fine. One session or one week doesn't matter much, it's the cumulative effect of the whole training cycle which will get you there.