Ongoing quad pain. Any ideas please?

I don't know if any of you can help me but I'm a regular runner (done numerous 10ks and half marathons, and was normally doing 7 mile runs twice a week). In mid-September, I went and had a sports massage (done by a sports therapist) on my right quad and my shin, due to my quad muscle getting sore after long runs.

I did feel pain during the massage, and I might've let it get done a bit too deep. And afterwards I had a lot of spots (was told that this is normal and apparently due to hair molecules) and felt a burning sensation for a few days.

Long story but I went to see one physio in the beginning of October and he did 3 weekly sessions of extracorporeal shock wave therapy and then 20 minutes of interferential therapy. He also told me to do a couch stretch 4 times a day to improve my hip flexors and glutes, and also to apply as much heat as possible. Then I couldn't get an appointment with him as he was hard to get hold of, so I changed to another physio. He seemed better but this time he did small vibration therapy on the quad, and unlike the first physio he told me to apply ice instead of heat (10 minutes on and off for an hour, twice a day), and to lay off the extensive couch stretches. I haven't seen him since but he's said I can ring him if I needed any further help.

After over 3 months I'm still feeling the pain in my right quad, especially after a 4 mile run I did on Sunday (the longest I've done in ages). And after strenuous exercise like manual work in my everyday job, I have still have the burning sensation and random moments of small pain. I'm also feeling constant pain in my shin. I have hardly run because of this (which I have to admit is very frustrating), but have been going swimming (half an hour of lane swimming) once a week which I've felt has been pretty helpful, and started doing ashtanga yoga.

My aim is to get back to running 7 milers like I normally did, and build up to doing 10 milers and eventually realising my goal to run a marathon next year (if not, will have to be 2019).

Does anyone have further advice on how to help myself get better please? Anything would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• I know it's not what you want to hear but I think the best thing for you to do is just rest and not do any running until it's healed. I had a niggling hip problem not long back that didn't hurt much whilst I was running but was sore afterwards...lasted for a while. In the end I just had to stop running for a few weeks and it eventually healed. If you're anything like me and can't sit still for 5 minutes then I would do a bit of swimming instead. It's great for building full-body strength and flexibility and shouldn't hurt?
  • I have been going swimming once a week and have found it pretty useful. I found that I can do about 30 minutes worth. Being Christmas as well, I'm afraid of putting on weight if I'm not running as much as I used to do.

My main fear is that I keep thinking this quad problem I've had since September isn't going to go away.

I do have a 10k booked though but it's not until the 7th January, hopefully I can lightly jog it. But I'm looking not to do any running until then.