Options

Training using bpm

Hi guys ive been training for a while now both with work (forces) or in my own time

Im trying to organise my training in order to get most benefit and from what ive read alot seem to recommend most of the weekly mileage to come from long slow runs

I recently got a garmin forerunner 35 and would like to use the bpm from it to pace check myself on these runs.

For my longer runs ill start with them been 1 hour long and slowly build up. What sort of bpm would i be aiming for on these runs? Im 23 too if it helps

And in regards to a simple programme would 5 runs a week do with 3-4 been this long slow easy style and 1-2 been higher intensity like intervals/hill sprints/ fartlek etc

Comments

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    sighs, have you read the instructions, do you know you're max HR, have you done the calculations to ascertain which bands you want to use, etc. etc.

Sorry, but there are lots of thread re bpm, all of which start on the basis of "whats my Max HR", because unless you know that its all a bit vague.
  • Options
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/senidM">senidM</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">sighs, have you read the instructions, do you know you're max HR, have you done the calculations to ascertain which bands you want to use, etc. etc.

Sorry, but there are lots of thread re bpm, all of which start on the basis of "whats my Max HR", because unless you know that its all a bit vague.</div>
    </blockquote>
    I tried it slow today and was in zpne 3.9 it said my hr average was 150 i tried slower but it felt weird. I thought max hr was 220-age?

Im guessing for max benefit i need to slow down in thr long runs
  • Options
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/senidM">senidM</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">sighs, have you read the instructions, do you know you're max HR, have you done the calculations to ascertain which bands you want to use, etc. etc.

Sorry, but there are lots of thread re bpm, all of which start on the basis of "whats my Max HR", because unless you know that its all a bit vague.</div>
    </blockquote>
    I tried it slow today and was in zpne 3.9 it said my hr average was 150 i tried slower but it felt weird. I thought max hr was 220-age?

Im guessing for max benefit i need to slow down in thr long runs
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    NOOOOOO, max hr is not 220-age,  max hr is, for each and every one of us, different,  thats like saying average height for men is 5' 8", so you must be 5' 8" (which you may be) but for all I know you might be 7'.

Your max HR is something that is unique to you, may be lower than average or higher, test it to find out what it is.
  • Options
    Heart rate is great once you are more aware of your body and how it reacts under stress. I would say track it for a while and if you think it's something that could add, get a proper a vo2 max test done
    Run to Endure: A Story about Training to Run, Live and Think Better

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Run-Endure-Story-Training-Better-ebook/dp/B077WXMTT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512540602&sr=8-1&keywords=run+to+endure
  • Options
    The Hadd thread is a good one based on HR.
    As the above poster stated, you do need to know your maximum heart rate to assist you.
    Once you know that, Hadd recommends 70-75% average heart rate. 
  • Options
    Bear in mind, some people have a fast HR even at easy or steady pacing. It doesn't mean it's a problem, some people just have a higher BPM even though they're fit. Experiment with it but take it with a pinch of salt and more importantly listen to your body.