Knee recovery

Hello all,

I'm a bit confused on what to do about my knee pain. Last week after my long run, which I increased it of 12k in 2 weeks (meaning that 2 weeks before my longest run was 11k, the week after 16k and last week 23k), my left knee started hurting. Pain under the kneecap when walking, sitting for too long and doing stairs. I guess that was caused by doing too much too fast. So I decided to stay off running for one week (6 days). By this morning the pain disappeared, I didn't feel anything while walking or anything ( just a bit of cracking when I bend the leg), so I thought I was ready to go back running but after few minutes I start to feel my knee "complaining" and after 1k I had to stop because the knee started hurting again. Now, few hours after my attempt, my knee is hurting as much as it was before.

I have to say, in this week off running, besides walking (as my job requires me to stand several hours per day) I haven't done much, no stretching or anything. I just put some ice on it for half an hour the second day.

What should I do to completely recover? and how do I know when I'm ready to hit the road again?

It is really frustrating to not be able to run just after 6 months I discovered my love for running :(
Tagged:

Comments

• As suggested on your other thread, you probably need to massage and stretch your quads.  If tight quads are the cause of the knee pain, a good sports massage will sort the problem almost instantly  though you may want to wait a day or so after the massage before running again. And, for the first time out, take it easy and don't overdo it.
  • @Trogs, thank you for your advice. I went for a sports massage a few days ago and stayed off running till yesterday, in the meantime I kept doing some stretches for quads and Hammersmith and used the foam roller. Yesterday I tried to give it a try as the pain seemed to be diminished. I ran just 2k to avoid overdoing it, I also used a knee support band. During this 2k I felt a mild pain, coming and going, not unbearable but I felt it. What should I do? keep trying or staying off running?
  • Have you tried any exercises to open up your hips? That can help stop any imbalance that might cause tight quads, ITB and knee issues.
  • I have a similar issue but would like to start a new post. However I have no idea how to start a new post as there’s nothing obvious pointing to new post!
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    Come out of this thread into the main Health and Injury section, you will see "new discussion" at the top of the thread list.
  • HasherHasher ✭✭✭
    Think I had (and still have) something similar. It is apparently a patela tracking problem. Doesn't quite set properly as the knee extends and bends. 
    I have tried physio without much improvement. 
    After a few years of this issue I decided to just ignore it but limit myself to 10k.
    After a run there is a swelling and for a day some mild pain but it does ease.

The doc said physio or knee replacement - nothing in between. 

Grateful for any suggestions.
  • I’ve experienced some pain lately, in my left knee after 3 miles or so. It’s not enough to stop me running but uncomfortable enough to make me concerned. It stops the second I stop running and doesn’t hurt when I go upstairs etc. Is this a mild form of runners knee? If so, how do I stop/prevent it?? 
  • Hi Sorry to jump on this post, but i can't seem to start a new thread. Can anyone give recommendations on how to cure Runner's Knee? I've got a sports massage booked in today and hoping that will help? Any other tips apart from the usual stretch and foam rolling?
  • When it comes to knee.....you may need to look from the bottom up...via a Podiatrist, or hip down via a Physio who understands pelvic function. 
  • lestajestalestajesta ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

NHS suggest:

put as little weight as possible on the knee – for example, avoid standing for a long time

use an ice pack (or bag of frozen peas wrapped in a teatowel) on your knee for up to 20 minutes every 2 to 3 hours

take paracetamol