Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• ah shame I won't be there at the weekend for the Nottingham marafun - I am doing a 10k in Edwinstowe that I do every year and don't think I will have time to go down to HPP afterwards to see everyone

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Gosh, no one's been on for ages... I haven't done anything for ages as I'm suffering from a lingering cold that just won't go away. Started feeling better last week and decided to go for an exploratory 'run'. Unfortunately I was going very slowly and still couldn't breathe and after that the cold flared up again. Can't see being up to anything until new year, my main consideration being trying to get back to normality and not being ill anymore.

Hope everyone else's training is going better!
  • Just got back from a trip to Lanza that didn't exactly go according to plan. Was hoping to do quite a lot of running and swimming but did 1 short run and 3 short swims, then ended up coming home a few days early.

Plans are in place ready for next year though, and going to kickstart things nicely with a tri club run tonight in this miserable weather!
  • hi

sorry to hear you have been ill mikasa - take the time you need to recover properly

mallowpuff - how come you came back early? I saw that the deca attempt was aborted 

I haven't been up to much, just ticking over really, some running, some turboing and some swimming....work and the kids keep me busy
  • Claire ended up really quite ill and just wanted to get back home, so we got the return flight rearranged. Shame as the weather was great apart from a few showers and a couple of windy days, and we had plans to check a few ideas out for a possible event over there. Just means we need to go back at some point..

Nearly didn't bother with the tri club run on Thursday, but I did it (and suffered). Helped out at the last swim session before Christmas straight after, taking on the role of Official in a mini swim gala. Was volunteering at parkrun yesterday, but for the last one before Christmas everyone meets up 4 miles away and runs down through town together dressed up, including running through the shopping centre trying to avoid the security guards, so I went along to that. Planning to do Christmas Day parkrun tomorrow, then I'll have a couple of rest days and then back on it again.
  • shame about the illness - being ill when you are away from home is just horrible. 

sounds like the parkrun yesterday was fun!

I have been enjoying getting back into turboing - I know some people hate it but I really enjoy it!
  • Under the right circumstances I quite enjoy a turbo session. They're certainly better than a couple of hours on a gym bike, that is truly horrible.

Currently working out my overall training plan for next year, and although it's mainly longer stuff there will be 3 sprints thrown in so that I can take part in my tri club's Grand Prix series. Nowhere near standing a chance of scoring highly in it, but it'll be nice to take part.
  • oh what sprints time to share. Turbo's are evil good work lass. 
    Christmas is done so i can get back to better things than work  o:)
    Training going ok ish but got a touch of plantar fasciitis slowing me down a little. The good news is this means i get sandbags a little when Sarah burns past me.  ;)
  • hi cake

plantar fascitis is horrible! I had it years ago and it took ages to go
  • Current plan for my sprints are the Oldham Milltown To Moors tri, Boundary Breeze, and Last of The Summer Tri
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I do short distance stuff - duathlon though as I don't swim.

Big plans this year to do 2 AG sprint qualifiers, National Standard Distance and then finish off with Stockton Standard distance Duathlon. I'm not signing up for GB AG stuff I just want to see where I am against the best Age Groupers as I get towards the hard end of my Age Group.

I train quite a lot, probably more than a lot of people who do Ironman but rarely do any sessions over 2 hours.
  • Training more than 'a lot of people who do Ironman' isn't setting the bar very high when you look at most pirates.....  :D
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • hi gobi - long time since I heard from you - are you mainly over on fetch now?
  •  :o Training but serious isn't it.  
  • Hi all, Happy New year.  I did Parkrun on New years day as my first walk event, well to tell the truth I did 100m jog at the start and finish but walked the rest and only 3 minutes slower than the walk/run I did at the end of October.

Due to my retirement from running due to a worn out hip that is only going to get worse if I run I aim to set WPB's this year - Walking Personal Best.

Doing 2 races so far, runs that have generous cut off times and I can walk them.

I just need to get faster at the swim and bike and then I could walk the run in triathlons.

• steady - fast walkers are faster than my running anyway! Have you seen those race walkers? I have a friend that has a buggered knee and walked the marathon at outlaw (he did the whole thing himself) and got a better time that when I run a marathon!
  • My walking marathon time is around 7 hours, so faster than a long ago run marathon of 5 and a half hours. Still getting my head around it but hoping to still do some events with generous cut offs.

• Steady you could enter purbeck marathon as a walker if helpful. Then you come round ours after for bacon. 

engage smug mode

Had a rare saturday off so parkran and p.b.ed for parkrun not the same as old when young p.b.'s but even so when I was young not only was there no parkrun but they didn't even have stopwatches.   ;)

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    mathschick - I contribute on very specific threads on Fetch but that is all really.

I stopped on here as running is very much a secondary for me these days

MC - I wouldn't compare myself to a pirate : - )
  • Hello Gobi, I remember your name from when I first started on here many years ago. Forward motion in any sport is a success nowadays.

Cake that marathon sounds a bit hilly, will have to see how I do at Larmer before committing to any other walks. But bacon back at yours afters sounds good.

I managed 6 miles of walking in total on Sunday, split up 4 + 2. Hip aching this morning but seems ok now.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Steady - you just made me feel REALLY REALLY OLD

I still race to win : ¬ )
  • SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Don't feel old Gobi, I have had to stop running this year after 34 years. I didn't join RW until late 2010.

I am now setting WPB's - walking personal bests.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I feel old most days : ¬ 0
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Hey all. I have a question. I know there are a few of you that turbo. I'm planning on buying one so I can cycle at home in the dark evenings, hopefully getting fitter. Which turbo trainer would you suggest? And aren't some of you doing trainer road and only certain turbo trainers connect to it? And I've heard of sufferfest as well. What is that? TIA
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Mika

How far do you want to go?
    Interactive ?
    Power ?
    Just want to ride?

You can spend 100 or a 1000 pounds on a Turbo

Do you have a trainer budget ?

ps. HI
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Hi Gobi. At the moment I just want to ride. I've been ill and getting back into cycling to work, only 5 miles each way but I can't do it everyday so I was hoping I could start with couple of evening turbos for about an hour or so. I don't want to spend too much, around £100 but could go bit higher, £200 at most. Interactive maybe, power not bothered.
  • Not been around for a few weeks because there's been too much going on with getting the house on the market and finally relocating once and for all, but I've managed to do exercise of some description most days and my strength is gradually improving. Interestingly it is muscle strength rather than lungs that is limiting me, which is the opposite to when I was building up before.

If I can keep up this consistency then there is a chance that I could enter an event this year.  I really want to, but I don't want the disappointment of failure again.  There's been too much of that over the last three years.
  • gobi - I also feel old!

mikasa - I love turbo training and do lots of sufferfest - it is pretty hardcore, and to make the most of it you need at least a cadence sensor (but they are fairly cheap). I started off with a basic dumb turbo, but did upgrade a year ago to a smart one. I also use trainerroad sometimes if I just want to do a long steady ride when the weather is rubbish and watch a video at the same time. 

DC Rainmaker does a pretty comprehensive review https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/annual-trainer-recommendations.html

but for basic cheap ones, I think Halfords and wiggle might have had some on sale

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Maths has your back Mika : ¬ )