Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I hope I'm still running sub 6s at 60 Pete! 

Talking of parkruns, there's a local one to me which is a right bastard. The top two lads are GB mountain runners with 16.22 and 16.44 too their names. Yesterday a lad who hasn't broke 34 mins for 10k ran 16.44. I know he's done the odd cani cross parkrun but I'm wondering if they didnt notice the dog ;-) 

Planned on doing a steady parkrun yesterday but a couple of running pals were pacing a lad to sub 17 so I decided to tag along. So much easier than doing it as a solo run. One of the lads pacing dropped off after a mile or so leaving me and another lad doing it. Unfortunately up the last long drag the lad was struggling and as we got on the downhill section we looked back to see him bent double about to throw up. The lapped runners were wondering what was going on as we were 1 and 2 and we'd just stopped. The lad went back and grabbed him by the collar and we finished. He'd have got a pb if he'd have just done a Bus and done it on the move. 

Joined the same lads this morning for 15 miles on the fells. 2500ft of climbing pretty much through bogs etc. Ended up 7.50 pace but that's what happens when you let an England mountain runner lead the way. Some of the climbs were brutal. Ended the year on 4016 miles so just over 11 miles a day. Not bad for a fat lad. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Nice reports chaps.

I love how some of you are incapable of both following the template, and waiting until you've even finish your year of running :)

Right, I've done the latter, but best make sure I copy the former in right or that'll look ridiculous now ;)

I love how intense we are on here are times, as scrolling through facebook earlier, an ex work pal wrote how she'd run "400 miles" in 2017.

It's easy to forget at times we're a thread full of hard workers and obsessives!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Let's go!

• Total amount of races in 2017

19.  5th highest in 16 years with a race logged. Very tidy total, bearing in mind there were 2 spells of 2months without a race. Short races help though.

• Different distances raced at
    1mile, 5k, 5m, 10k, 7mile, XC random distances, and relay legs of 3-5.4miles, plus a 5x1km job.
    • Year's mileage (versus last year if you like

3200.5 (v 3000 dead in 2017)  61 a week average

• Pbs

Two. Both at the mile. In fairness only my 2nd and 3rd ever attempts, but still count. 5.00 at Ealing (after a teasing clock guy shouting 4.59 loudly then after a few seconds adding..that;'ll round up though)

Then 4.56 at the Gosport Golden mile.

• Race wins/prizes/awards - team or individual - anything from the World Masters, to the "Cock n Biscuits shorter of 2 races, offroader against a bunch of kids" (ahem), to parkruns.
    1. Won Wycombe 5k - local clubs close summer league. Enjoyed this one on the same park that i'd dribbled to a stupor at the half in 2015!
    2. Won Burnham Beeches 5k MT. Massively bootleg if i'm honest, but served as my first race for a couple of months, and was a warmup for the Marlow 7 the next day. Probably won't bother next year.
    3. Staines 10k - 3rd place, plus team prize
    4. Datchet - team prize at Marlow 5
    5. Datchet - team prize at Runnymede Relays - great shield.
    • Highlights of the Year - as many as you like, broad as you like - simply enjoying it again, specific or new races run, through to being voted Most legendary handsome don in your club

As I lined up at the start of an Upton Court parkrun in Oct 2016, after a string of parkruns, still to some extent confirming to myself I could still "compete" locally, I saw a familiar face, Rob F from Datchet. That gently set the wheels in motion for probably my best decision in running in years - to get back involved with a club.

When the time came to firm plans up, it was a no brainer, a bunch of guys in and around my age, quality runners for the local scene,  Phil's been a member for years, entry to the local 5k and XC series again, and quite close to work.

Probably in order, rather than ranked...

1. Absolutely no doubt - joining Datchet Dashers - absolutely revitalised my running at a time of uncertainty, as the social element becomes important again.
    2. 12 stage relays. I'd only just done the paperwork in Feb, and suddenly was in the 12 stage southern relays team at Gravesend, a town of great family significance. It felt like it was some sort of omen or something. Meeting a lot of the other chaps, as well as old pals, and taking our small road running club into the nationals! Great day out, as was competing in the nationals too.
    3. 17.03 5k at the Hyde Park 5k. Re-assured me I was in and around where i'd ever been. The little 5k plan I used got me feeling pretty sharp when properly following the order. Later in the year just ducking into the odd session I fancied showed me you need to do them in order really.
    4. Coming through a 5.4mile hilly leg on a hot day at the nationals felt like some sort of massive step mentally after so long of not racing anything beyond parkrun.
    5. Marlow 5 - 28.08. All time pb is 27.44, and the last Marlow 5 i did in 2015 was 24 seconds slower PRE Wycombe half problem and recovery, so felt like an excellent turn out. Team prize lifted the day even more.
    6. Staines 10k. Furthest i'd raced for 10months, so had that slight uncertainty, but a nice flat course and low front end meant a 3rd place and team prize.
    7. Masters relays. After the brief shock of realising I am now a vet in certain events, I realised this is actually great as it gets me in for another team event, and another great trip with the chaps. 16.53 for a 3miler, missing two of the awkward bits of the Sutton Park course out, and a great quicker day than the 12 stage - being just 6 of us, and all the "short" leg of that day.
    8. Gosport mile and 5k. The thing I'd missed the most these last few years was little race trips to the south coast.  While justifying the trip i mean, I could still have gone down there and strolled stuff out, but not worthwhile. This quite intriguing double header seemed a perfect way to get back down there at little risk.   On a ferociously hot day,  in absolutely breathtaking views, I enjoyed smashing a 4.56 out, for only 6th, while watching a GB runner absolutely monster away for a final given time of 4.10.  The incredible video footage the "Nice Work" team produced was amazing, and i'll note them down to do more of their race next year.       The 5k was still enjoyable, but a strange long section on hard pebbles sucked any real pace away, so was happy just to get round in the 1740s, just 45mins after the first race.
    9. Wycombe 5k. Having enjoyed a 3rd in the Burnham 5k in the summer series, this one was home turf, a short walk from home. Just 2 days after the Gosport double header, the weather was still absolutely roasting, but I was acclimatised. That and Mr Samson not turning up meant I went off decently, and never gave it up for a 17.20 on a grassy course with a couple of fussy climbs.
    10. Runnymede Relays. Knew we'd have a powerful team out, and get in the top 3 for a lovely shield! Having previously got a 2nd place from this at Sandhurst, a win would be lovely!  Hot midday start, and a tough course gave me my most anxious race experience of the year, but quickly wore off, and delighted to win!
    11. Murder Mile! After years on the "want to do" list, I finally got over there. The beauty of losing time out with something, is it concentrates you to definitely get something done, as you recognise you might not get another chance! From almost rupturing my car up an amazingly steep hill (I can still smell that burning clutch now!), to that sinking feeling when you're struggling to run DOWN the hill, especially when it keeps going down from where you joined the road it's an incredible event.  First half - steep as the steep hills you'll have run, second half - even trying to run at any pace is amazingly hard. 9.44 said it all for 5th
    12. Pairs Relay - Windsor. Teaming up with young Chris from Datchet, just an enjoyable different sort of event. 5x1km each as a pair. The sort of low key fun but good workout that keeps things interesting. 2nd place - no prize - that sort of low key :)
    13. Marlow  7 . Probably took it easier than I could have, but my furthest race in over 2 years, and finally getting back to do one of my first club's events, after soooo many years! Finished it knowing I could probably have done the half this year.
    14. Back into XCs. Simply being part of the Datchet gang got me back into these, as was never the hardiest offroad. Flat Datchet, and hilly Handy Cross seen off so far.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Lowlights / regrets / challenges from the year
    1. Runnymede relay was probably the one time in the year I felt physically on the edge. very hot and humid day, awkward midday timings, tough course. Got to the finish and literally lay down for 15mins. However, it was more like the old days of summer offroaders than the Wycombe situation thank goodness.
    2. Not following up the 17.03 5k with a few more fast flat ones. Not getting to Battersea Park was particularly disappointing with so many options!
    3. A lot of the later year races I had a bit of a "just have a nice run out" mentality, rather than trying to smash it.
    4. Came away from Aylesbury 5k thinking I could have gone a little faster, but I think the further back start line should put that to bed really. Good to have that "could have been faster" mentality back though.

2018 Targets, as many as you like, specific times, races/distances to run, keeping enjoying it, whatever you like.

1. Get amongst the Datchet lot more. Have started doing some of their Tuesday sessions, and even a little go on their track session the other day. Working out how to combine this element with competing for times is my major challenge this year.
    2. Get sub 17 for 5k again.
    3. Race a half marathon again - finally get that mental barrier off my shift.
    4. More race trips, Gosport and Wales last year, where next year? Ideal would be some sort of foreign jaunt with the Dashers. Maybe getting in on the Spain Worlds for a heat run around and holiday :)
    5. Still would like to do a Northern race Timing just has to work, be it around a United game, or simply for some tourism
    6. 25 races to beat my yearly best from 2008

Thread poster of the year

Everyone contributes, and I always think you get a better view of someone and it gets easier when you meet them in the flesh, so was good to see Ric, albeit just the once, and Pete and Reg a few times, as well as the usual with Bus and Phil.

There was one spell Simon was at every race I was doing :) I think he put it well by saying "well, you're racing again!"

Strangely i'm not sure I've seen Dachs out and about this whole year.

Shame not to meet Scott when I was vaguely in his neck of the woods at Gosport too.

Dean/Matt - I even more vaguely hold the dream to get up and do a northern 5k, so one day...one day!
    Matt h - less so for the SW..you'll have to come up this way ;)

Anyway, I go for Pete M as poster of the year. Had a really scary incident, and took it with incredible dignity and poise. Always took the parkrun/10k banter with remarkable good nature and respect, and just a good guy and credit to the thread! Popped up a few times at various events this year.

Scotty in the notes, as having the most colossal set of hard luck stories ever seen, alternating between humour and serious as the moment required. Certainly wouldn't write off the "serious" running just yet, especially how quick you can put in with small amounts of training.

ps...well you didn't expect a short one did you

I'd probably rank my 2017 for overall enjoyment as my best year since the 2012/13 pb stonks. Targets and priorities have slightly tweaked, but still looking to keep it hungry and get a 3k mileage in, and race a lot.

All the best!

Early to bed, and parkrun double tomorrow for starters :) Looking forward to getting 2 of the planned 25 done on day one.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    A little shorter than SG's...

·         Total amount of races in 2017: 2, plus a dozen parkruns

·         PBs: what, at my age?

·         Race wins/prizes/awards: placed first M60 at most of the parkruns

·         Highlights of the Year: difficult as I never got as far as a real highlight. However I ran 21:12 for the LFoM in March, with 77.69% WAVA which showed that come the summer I should be flying, relatively.
    Fairly easy parkrun on June 17th saw 21:24 with little effort (WAVA 76.95%)

·         Lowlights / regrets / challenges from the year: unquestionably one week after the above, again during a parkrun, when I somehow damaged my Achilles. Despite lots of treatment still struggling with it and haven’t run much further than 5k since, struggling around a few parkruns with more effort than in June and three minutes slower!

·         2018 targets: to be back to running, above all. If I can get back to where I was last June when I was expecting to run 80% WAVA it would be brilliant! And to finally get to my 100 parkruns which should have happened  around last September.

·         Thread poster of the year: Scott, closely followed by Pete

·         One to watch: SG, of course. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed Aley. Need another LFOTM meet up for starters!
  • Hope to be there end of Jan, SG
    And get ready to get your diary sorted for Thursday night Sale Sizzlers in the summer!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yep, will have to make sure one of those or the Christelton one is on there.

Trying not to do what some of the Dashers do, and over stack...but potentially, the 2 parkruns in a 14mile min job tomorrow, a short hills sesh with them Tue eve, and one eye on the Ealing mile next Fri.

Have the week off so can basically recover/sleep in between it all :)

Even noticed my favourite race co, Nice work, have a 5k in Leicester on Wed night, but that's probably getting a little madcap!

• Awesome reports guys and thankful for the crowd here and support

Some really quality running, comebacks, tribulations and love stories this year. I find it hard to remember back but when these are posted everyone has been amazing 

SG - Gosport will be on from my end I think next year, at least from a work perspective times changing as I've been (secretly) doing one day a week in Gosport for a while ;);) business evolving and all that but have to see how it all pans out. Officially ;) 

It's such a shame we're not headlining Eastleigh 10km which could have seen some of you. Another local shop has had it for sometime. I'll be at Stubbington but not running 

Weighed myself at 85kgs today ! Ouch

Happy new year to all! 
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Great review SG, must have taken a while to put together, it's over 2000 words.
     I must get out more.

Fireworks going off already.
    I must have missed something.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    First thread run of the year reported from me. Does that count as a win?
     A five mile job off road of around nine minute pace. Felt fit for once, which could have something to do with not having drunk alcohol for three days.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Why yes, it does Ric.

As long as Phil doesn't sneak in before I finish this, i'll be the first race of 2018 report though!

Today's mission then - drive to Upton Court park, run the 5miles to Black park, race that one, 5miles back, then race Upton Court. (Phil leading the way, and sneering at the "mere" 4mile quickest route :)

Did a 13miler yesterday, as 10 just felt too short, but i'll admit I was wondering about the genius of that as we undertook what would be a 16miler, having not run that far as an easy pace run, probably all year - bar that mad directional screw up 19miler!

5.3miles to be exact to Black Park, some really slippy bits that almost sent me - wearing my no grip racers into the dirt.

A slight nervous glance at the watch as we rode into Black Park with about 15mins to go, but we were here!

Had been here once, in 2011, and I remember it as being a particularly wet boggy course, but it was a long time ago.

Our favourite parkrun showboater, Mr Boucher was on the front line, literally eyeing up anyone who looked like they might fancy a race. I overheard him boasting to someone about how he'd be after the win, but ideally as slow as possible, and only one guy can beat him. What, in the world son?

An older guy pointed out some kid who would "give him a race". Very inspired comment. And no I don't mean me, on either part! But I did know he wouldn't be winning this year in a 19min jog round and then allowed the win by the gracious Mr Bradfield.

We're off, I'm in about 7th, the kid goes flying off, Bouch takes 2nd, and I take on joint 3rd, with a guy i'm surprised is up there, with all due respect!

First km comes up at 3.30, and i'm slightly confused as I historically smash first kms.  It is a slight up I think, and we have run 5miles here, for another disclaimer.

Drop the older chap, and then it's a procession, watching Boucher from a distance, and him watching the winner.

Splits gently slow down, and for the last mile I could hear som,e heavy feet splashing on the muddy trails behind me. Not sure if one is Chris B, as he was going to be taking them both easily apparently :)

The feet sounded really close, and I was thinking, someone's coming by soon, but they didn't. Up to 4k, put a little chug on myself. Doucher has gone round a bend, he's looking back, my word this guy is my most disliked runner.

See the finish, no-one's having me now, over the line for 17.46 and 3rd.

Joined very quickly indeed, by 2 chaps.

Matey is congratulating some guy who finished behind me on finishing strong, so I had to point out we'd merely changed positions in the finishing tunnel :) And I was delighted to hear he was off to another location for parkrun 2.

Anyway, Phil and Chris B nicely in, we made it a 3 man team jogging off to Upton.

Some chat, some more slips, and we arrived in perfect timing(according to Phil), worryingly close (in my mind), at 10.24, allowing time to stagger around for a bit, check out the bushes, and wander to the start.

Last time I was here I threw a 17.20 in. Today, with muddy grass, in some places very slippy, and 13miles in the legs already it'd be a how much slower than Black Park can we manage!

Clock the guy who came 5th at Blackpark. He's driven here. He's not run there to start with. Cheat!!

He sets the pace, and i'm in the mix with a gang of 6. I can certainly feel the legs don't fancy going too fast here!

I take a roll call of who has started too fast at about 200metres in. 5 hands up. Chris B has come past, saying he's not 4.10ing the first km of this one. He did a 18.55 at the other one.

2 lapper with 1 big lap including this awkward little muddy field, and second lap without it.

Group breaks down to the front 4, and me and a youngster. Perfectly comfy sitting in with him this time round. Probably not much under 6 min miling for a lot, which will do today for certain!

Lifted by a couple of Dashers shouts. Rob and son Riley, Legs X1 Steph giving me some abuse for not going fast enough at the end of lap 1.

Feeling alright, and it's such a short distance. Just get to the top of the incline at lap 2 and see what's what I think.

Can tell the young lad is feeling it a bit from his breathing. (You haven't done 13miles to get to this point son!). Guide him inwards a bit, as we were running a foolish wide line at one point, and then ease away as we come to the glorious slight down on firm path - the best bit of the course.

Through a tonne load of first lappers, round the fallen tree onto some mud, round the bend, and there's the glorious finish.

YES!

18.27, which is my slowest 5k ever (if we ignore the 18.47 I was awarded for that Gadesbridge parkrun that time due to running too short a course...17.00 for 3miles somehow given as 18.47, but I digress!)

However, i'll take the pair today, amidst a 16mile day, having not cut yesterday's run down either.

Got what I came for, which was taking a chunk off that 17.59 Aylesbury turnout at the first one, and the second was a freebie really.

Chris B did an 18.12 to go with his 18.55, but i'll take my 17.46/18.27 combo.

Pleased to beat my 2011 Black park by 2seconds :)

So 2018 is off and rolling, 2 races done :)

• SG: zero races in 2018. Two parkruns. Well done!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    They're counting son :)
  • Of course! I jogged one this morning: no choice with 540 in it and starting at the back!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Intentionally jogging them brings it to a grey area, but first rule of Stevie G thread is racing each turnout as fast as is available.

Hoping to do some hills tomorrow night for another session with the club. At least morning v evening the next day stretches the recovery a bit.

Vague plans to do a 1mile race Friday too. We'll see though. Will just be good to get one on the grid early doors. Took until March to get race 1 in last year,

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work SG - cracking start to 2018!

6 miles of mud this morning. Still feeling lergied up, which I'll use as an excuse for why yesterday's 10.6 was so slow!
  • One of the great things about parkruns is they can mean different things to different people and at different stages of training! Currently returning from injury, it is a way to getting back into running and running harder than I would in training. Unlike a real race no-one is fussed where you finish so there are none of the pressures, for me anyway, of the race situation. Also when you get to my age the body seems to say that there are only so many hard races left in the body so parkrun has become closer to a tempo or progressive run and I admit that I have not run one of my 92 parkruns hard...and don't intend to! 
  • One of the great things about parkruns is they can mean different things to different people and at different stages of training! Currently returning from injury, it is a way to getting back into running and running harder than I would in training. Unlike a real race no-one is fussed where you finish so there are none of the pressures, for me anyway, of the race situation. Also when you get to my age the body seems to say that there are only so many hard races left in the body so parkrun has become closer to a tempo or progressive run and I admit that I have not run one of my 92 parkruns hard...and don't intend to! 
  • Aley, I completely agree with parkrun - I used to love using them as tempo or progressive efforts when I was in Southampton and so close to one. 
    I need to get out and do more this year - thankfully I'm moving closer to one (well, a 3mi warmup...), albeit a hilly trail one!

SG, good work on the double parkrun! Must be great to be able to turn out two good times. And all part of a long distance!

Easy run for me this morning, despite a distinct lack of sleep! 5mi at 8:48/mi and 76.7% MaxHR.
    Great news in that I seem to have no problem with my foot any more! Really happy with that, and time to build up to some more consistent miles.

Good work on the NYD run Ric.

Happy New Year to you all, may 2018 bring all that we want :)

Off to central Leeds tomorrow for 6 days, and will be running a few days. Any recommendations for where to run?
    Also, are any threadsters doing Reading this year?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Total amount of races in 2017

9: 4 parkruns, 1 fell, 2 trail, 2 road. My lowest number of races since about 2004

Different distances raced at

5k to half

Year's mileage

2180 (Oh, and as SG always likes me to add ascent, 197.699ft)

Pbs

A big fat zero!

Race wins/prizes/awards

Another big fat zero!

Highlights of the Year

For me - running up Snowdon. Something I’ve wanted to do for ages, and was very fortunate to pick a cracking day for it too.

Dachs’ 69 min half was pretty damn special.

Matt’s Yorkshire marathon was a lesson in steely-hard determination as well as being a time most of us could only dream of.

Reg’s Abingdon result was very impressive off the back of minimal running, but I’m even more impressed by some of the long bike ride speeds and the (forgive me!) tri performances

Lowlights / regrets / challenges from the year

Number of breaks from injury and particularly struggling to get rid of that bloody adductor/hip thing

2018 Targets

Sub 1:20 at Wokingham.

Possible sub 3 at Chester – if I can be arsed to do a marathon that is!!!

Get some V50 silverware after June!

Thread poster of the year

No clear-cut winner for me this year:

Scott gets the “perseverance in the face of life being a bastard” award (and for most horrific photos that I never want to see again before breakfast!)

SG, gets the Oscar for race reporting!

Reg and Dean get the joint “telling it as it is” award

Simon gets the “sessions most likely to make me feel ill” award

Philip gets the “most impressive stalking” award

Matt H gets the “best newcomer” award

Aley gets the “long-service and good conduct” award

And finally, Ric gets the prestigious award for “posts that best galvanized opinion” :wink:

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Good pr double SG especially that comfortably sub 18 at Black and thanks for your threadster nomination and kind words. Made lovely reading :)

Good run Bus; Matt, Aley and Ric on the comeback trail and Philip on the pr double. Impressive mileage and even more so climbing Bus. 

Did my pr double today at Maidenhead and Woodley. Was just not firing quite right at M'head. Stuck in a clear 3rd from very early on and the gaps to 2nd ahead and 4th behind just got bigger for the full 5k. 19'26 on the board which wasn't a great start to 2018 on a flat course (but still top age grade and 3rd of nearly 300 outright) so off to Woodley. 

Massive field there of over 550; pr is just so popular these days. Course was very wet around the pitches so needed a shift to trail shoes. Start extremely muddy but after a short time onto tarmac and the pace can pick up. Moved up over lap 1 from about 30th to 15th and kept progressing my maintaining pretty much 6mm pace. Ended 11th but in 18'42 despite traffic issues and top age grade again so much better time than the first run. Fathom that one!

Really proud of my 11 (soon 12) year old daughter who completed the double as well and in times only 2 seconds apart (28'33 and 28'35). Top age cat for her too at M'head out of 9 despite being youngest age. She also completed all 5 pr's over the festive period. Girl after my own heart☺
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Yes, SG is aiming for another race report award. Btw, that's a great start to the year SG, two whatsit's and a report. Keep that mileage as a daily average and you'll threaten 6000 miles.

Well done Bus for getting out running, at all. 
    And thanks for the award - I think :smile:

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Pete- good efforts (kid too!). Maidenhead certainly isn't that fast a course though, with some of the ropey footing, 2 laps, couple of tight bends, and that tight offroad hill on each lap!

I can see why Dachs always praises Woodley for being lightning from your times! You were 44 secs quicker on your second one, despite being boxed in!

Ric, having spent the hours in between lounging around, eating some choc (!) and trying to sleep but being too tired to, I will definitely make this sort of thing a once a year treat :)

• As SG said, double parkrun today with 5 miles between the two parks for a total of 16 miles. Happy with 19:55 and 21:15 compared with 20:02 and 21:06 from last year so 2 seconds slower overall but much happier with a sub-20 on the first outing to tick that box for the year.

On the stalking side, see 
    Mike BOUCHER came home first at Gladstone parkrun so second and first can't be scoffed at but isn't the pair he was hunting for.  

Also, note to SG, that is 14 parkruns now for you. None in 2017 and 2 in 2018 by the end of day one.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's a very consistent double there Phil.

Good to see Bouche, at least got a race at the second one. Interesting to see he put a 16.44 in at Walsall. Suspected that one must be quick as Rob F suddenly got back under 17.30 recently, and while we can't be certain the way showboat Malone races, it's a good min quicker than everything else he's done for ages.

Was slightly surprised to see 2nd age range at Upton, Chris B clearly being 40s, and the rest looking pretty young. Turns out the guy 5th at BP and winner there is 35-39! Wow.

Only 15 secs slower from first to second, but it's certain if he'd put the extra 10miles in it'd have crept a lot slower!

6secs behind Douche at BP, and only 2/3 secs in front of the other 2. I knew they were close!!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    2017 review

no of races = 17 plus 3 park runs

races = 5*1500m, track mile, 10k road, 8*xc, 2*road relay

pb = 10k (32.05)

awards 
    • gold county v40 xc,   
    • Gold Midlands v40 xc,   
    • Team gold county xc,  
    • team gold north Staffs league xc, 
    • silver European 1500m v40.  
    • 1st v40 Trafford 10k
    • And still didn't win vet of the yr at our club! ;)
    Uk v40 Rankings = 1st mile, 2nd 1500m, 12th 10k

mileage = 2386m v 2283 last yr.

highlights 
    • Defying form, illness and injury to squeeze the 1 decent race I needed in the final to get Euro silver.  The time wasn't great but the sprint finish bailed me out to land a spot on the podium.
    • The 10k pb. I don't really train for this long a distance, and weather was shocking on the day but to carve out a pb was satisfying. I thought I would struggle with breaking 33 that day. I didn't have great form and with the weather I tucked into a group who I knew was 33 guaranteed.  We went through 5k in about 16.20 but I felt good so I pushed on and just kept getting faster.  Second half  5k was about 15.45.  I wish I had gone off stronger as I'm sure I could have gone sub 32... learnt a lesson that day.
    • I hate xc . That said the beginning of the yr I raced a few really strong xc races. Beating people I don't normally on this surface. It was pleasing to run a few good ones.
    Lowlights
    • Injury. Really badly timed which i still don't think I have truly recovered from yet to get back my form and fitness.  I was flying in March, and my 10k said I had all the long distance speed I would need for the track so I could focus on the short brutal sessions.  But whilst on the start line of the road relays a fortnight later I fell and hurt my ankle putting me out for weeks.  When I came back a few weeks later my Achilles went. After a few weeks of coming back I hurt my hamstring.  Yet Another few weeks out and all the good spring training was washed away. It also left a scar of being worried to truly go all in in sprint training in case it went again. 
    • Because of the above my summer was mostly meh!  Training  wasn't great, struggling to hit targets I used to hit for fun but in fairness the races were decent times.  Not great but ok. But if you ignore the euro medal, this summer wasn't good enough. I should have faster times than I hit this yr.
    • National xc. Having to stop mid race to sprint into the woods for a shit. A real low point.
    Poster of the yr
    i like the freshness of Matt head and Pete m on here....along with matt84 and Simon (not fresh :)  but I enjoy reading about their exploits)

targets
    medal in the european indoors champs
    medal in the world outdoors champs
    pb in 5k and 10k.

Performance of the year.
    i was between 4 that stood out.  
    • Reg and his v strong marathon. His time genuinely surprised me. Like others I was duped into his limited running training to think his output would be limited.  But forgetting he does a lot of good training in cycling and swimming which still counts. Great racing!
    • Matt 84 - another marathon and a heroic race for a v fast time. I think it was the Yorkshire one.
    • Dachs - another very strong yr.  that 69 half marathon was Really excellent. I mean who wouldn't enjoy a 69. Plus getting an England vest for xc and a team silver....brilliant!
    • However Simon coombrezzz also got a England vest and took thread honours that day plus a team gold.  Also in a gb vest took 2*bronze.  I'm a sucker for championship medals as it's underrated how difficult it is to race under that pressure and in your 3 international races = 3 podiums.  Great season.

• Cheers Dean! Will do my report later. Suffice to say I can walk ok now after yesterday's double parkrun...at least they mentioned us at the start of Tring ;)
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Interesting review Dean, still some real highlights amongst your injury plagued year and no doubt it was modesty forbidding you adding your own Aarhus performance into the contenders for POTY.
    Glad you like my posts, though some on here would probably dispute they are fresh, more predictable!

Anyway onto my own 2017 review now I have the data to hand;

• Total amount of races in 2017
          19:  3*Mile; 1*5k;  2*5m; 4*10k (1 DNF); 2*10m, 1*HM,1*Duathlon, 3*XC, 2*relays  

Also 4*club handicap 10k's and 46 parkruns (don't know how I did so many but a few were  carrying injuries and some jogs)
    • Different distances raced at: As above
    • Year's mileage 1364 (2016, 1486), not high but also 4355 on the bikes (2016, 4946)
    • Pbs None, guess those days are now over but still live in hope! 
    • Race wins/prizes/awards - 1 win at Ealing mile; 1 first at Woodley parkrun. v50 winner at Staines 10k, Fleet 10k and Ickenham 5 miles. Usually first in age group at parkrun and often top age grade percentage.   
    • Highlights of the Year - Strange year this one as all my highlights were in obscure events and everything I wanted to do well in bombed. The two autumn xc's 15th and 22nd were both really pleasing and 37'58 on my hilly club 10k at end Oct likewise (a week after Fleet 10k,see below). Also really enjoyed the duathlon and doing ok on the bike leg especially (lost some places, but that was as I was so high up after the 1st run). But overall top for me was Maidenhead 10 mile run in 64'07 just 6 weeks after getting knocked off my bike and still in pain from broken ribs and all the other injuries. Not a pb or even that near but proved I could still run ok.  
    • Lowlights / regrets / challenges from the year - Lots! Getting hit by the car and all the pain and hassle that entailed. Persistent hamstring then calf injuries causing the DNF in the Battersea Park 10K. All the BP trips basically, as well as the DNF I ran a slower 5k than in a parkrun 2 days before and a worse 5 miles than any of 3 last year at slower courses. Finally not breaking 38 at Fleet 10k which I had really targeted (even not running a pr the day before :))
    • 2018 Targets : No big ones; would like sub 38 on a proper 10k again though and, if I can get endurance fit, think I could still challenge my HM pb which is still a bit high (1'23'59). Sub 18 parkrun would be the icing on a cake as chased it for so long and have 23 of them sub 18'30 but doesn't look likely now.
    • Thread poster of the year Have to go the Eurovision back scratch route and say SG; most prolific, most detailed and a real running and thread enthusiast. I like reading everyone's comments though, even Ric's (well most of them Ric :D)
    • Performance of the Year As per the preamble to this review Dean has picked out the best ones (except his own!) and I would give it to him for a silver medal at the highest level. Performer of the year I'd go for Simon though; colossal number of exceptional races over varied distances and terrains and never seems to get injured (and all that whilst seeming such a normal and nice guy who also likes a beer and watching live football). 
    • One to watch I liked the way CC was progressing but he seems to have gone quiet since that Loch Ness run. Matt Head could be anything once fit again as he's so young still; good addition to the thread and  keep with us. Other than that all the established stars like Dachs, Simon, Dean will no doubt have the rest of us in awe again. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Great end of year reports fellas. Always enjoy reading them. I completely forgot about your 10k at Trafford Dean. Remember it now and as it wasn't targeted it looked as though you'd go we'll under 32 in the year but for the injuries. 

Nice parkrun doubles too chaps. Boucher sounds a lovely bloke. ;-) surely it's always better to be a bit modest on the start line. That looks like ideal half marathon training SG. 

Glad I got my 45 min tempo out of the way yesterday which meant I could have a few beers after and not have to do it rough as rats today. Ended up running 8 miles on the nose in the 45.03 and with a mile warm up and then down so about 58.20 for 10 miles. Straight on the ale after from 12 til around 10pm. Woke up on the sofa at 2am. Great start to the year. Just as Storm Eleanor or whatever it's called is setting in I've to go out and do 10 miles now. Superb