Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Hope everyone had a great Christmas and maybe now enjoying a few extra days off.
    PMJ - I think I saw a walk round Christmas Common in the in-laws newspaper.
    Birch - hopefully you'll be raring to go in the New Year.
    Lorenzo - you sound more organised than me. 
    GM - sounds like you're enjoying your time back home.
    Poacher - well done, reigning champ.
    Badbark  - that is some year! Relax and enjoy now.
    OO - hope you're feeling better now.
    Mrs GD back to work today. Went out for a run in the daylight for a change. Conditions far from ideal (high winds and sleet) but after 3 zero-days I didn't really mind! 12 miles @ 7:37. Need 55.5 more in 4 days...
  • Options
    10 yesterday staring on the Thames at Marlow. Went upstream with a friend and blue skies, bright sunshine. Same starting place today with a different friend, 10 miles in the other direction with snow that was turning to rain, muddy and slippery underfoot. Such a contrast for two days.
  • Options
    Last home run for me today. 7.5 miles down by the river and with the deer in the park. Glorious sunshine and only a light breeze. Beautiful day/run. 
  • Options
    Few days of slacking off and I've just realised that 2800km for the year is possible... but I need to get cracking before the weekend!

Once again failed to get up early yesterday, so had to do lunchtime penance. Fortunately work was very quiet so I could duck out for ages without anyone worrying - but it was still 30C and no breeze.

12km was very hard fought and once again followed by Garmins motivational message: "Unproductive" Thanks Garmin!!!

40km to do before Monday to reach 2800 for the year... Gonna try and squeeze out 12 more this evening, 20 on Saturday morning and an easy recovery 8 on sunday to get me *just* over the line!

in other news I may have inadvertently booked accommodation in Canberra for the night before the marathon in April, so it looks like thats becoming a thing! Also there are now 4 members of the squad who are getting really excited about GoldCoast Marathon in July which I've said I'll run an unofficial pacer for our squad at 3:50 (there's a few women eyeing up a 3:55BQ target).

2018 is taking shape!

Whats everyone elses plans for 2018? Do you all have it all mapped out?
  • Options
    PMJ - contrast here too; should be sunny today (but still very cold).
    GM - sounds like a lovely run.
    DadAgain - good luck reaching 2800. Great news about the marathon.
    15 very slow miles this morning. Brrrrr.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I took a rest today as the back is still a bit stiff- should get out early tomorrow. I’ll stick around for the parkrun before we head home from Keswick on Saturday. It’s been a nice few days. I’ve also entered an 11k race on New Year’s Day. Anyone racing over the holidays?
  • Options
    DadAgain - Nice target, nearly there. Well in re the marathon, be not to hey?

Gul - That's a long run in the freezing cold. 

OO - Good to have a rest day, especially if your back is at you. Is that the Keswick parkrun? Is it a hilly/off road affair? 11K race on NYD, that's brave. 

I had a horrendous journey back. Got stuck in Southampton yesterday, Flymaybe strikes again. The plane that was due in from Jsy to take us home didn't come, due to peorational issues. Staff illness I'm led to believe. Arrived back in Jersey this morning at 9:40am and caught a taxi straight into work and the chaos I left behind. Ah well, it was worth it. I might do parkrun this weekend but the weather is not looking good with more gales heading our way. There is the annual hill climb too on Sunday which is a mile up a ridiculously steep hill. It's an absolute killer but I might do it. See how I feel in the next few days. Still have a lingering lurgy and my right ear has been at me for about 5 days now. Filthy dose doing the rounds. 

• Options
    OO 11k race? Hope the back is better today.
    GM - straight back to work from the airport sounds horrendous indeed. Get well soon.
    Canned my run at 4.5 miles this morning. Had a bit of a niggle yesterday (groin area) and it was a bit worse today. Not entirely surprised after doing 11 consecutive MLRs before Christmas. So I'll finish the year on 2464. I think the first six months were around 950, so a good second half. All the best to everyone for the New Year next week.
  • Options
    Great stuff BB

I just thought about running Manchester again next year as it's fairly fast and flat.    Look at the prices!  And these will no doubt go up in the new year. Does anyone find this reasonable or are they having a laugh at the expense of a semi-captive audience?

• Options
    £9.50 for something to pin a number on a vest? 
  • Options
    Hope everyone had a great Christmas and for those of you who haven't had to go back to work yet (sorry GM!), you're having a good few days' break. Events 1 (12 people for Xmas Day) and 2 (25 or so on the 27th) in the lorenzo household have been negotiated successfully - just the get together with the in-laws (15 people in total) tomorrow to get through now! ;)

Poacher - those prices seem very steep although I always think that we're a bit spoiled by the good value that London offers. Isn't New York about $200?

Gul - hope the niggle isn't too serious but it sounds like you're doing the right thing by giving yourself a bit of a break. 1,500 miles in the last 6 months is going some.

GM - hope you also recover soon. A mile up a steep hill sounds like a brutally tough way to start the year.

OO - good luck at the Keswick parkrun and safe journey home. I'm hoping to do parkrun tomorrow although I suspect it'll be a hilly and muddy one so 21 mins at best.

DadAgain - sounds like a plan for Canberra. My only plans for 2018 so far are a rendezvous (not a smackdown) with G-Dawg and MsE at the Surrey Half as part of the build up to London, and then I've signed up for the last ever Picnic Marathon. It's billed as the hardest marathon in the UK - I've done it a couple of times and will be aiming to beat my course PB of, er, 4:53!! :/

Managed 7.5 muddy miles on Xmas morning, had a rest on Boxing Day and then headed out for another 8 in the sleet on Wednesday. I was hoping to make it a tempo-style run but the road were too slippery in places so have just logged it as a steady run. I think I might have got something in my eye while I was out running as it suddenly got very irritated in the evening and I could hardly keep it open for more than a few seconds before it started watering so I decided to have another rest day yesterday and see how it felt before deciding on what today's effort would be.

Fortunately everything felt fine by this morning so I set off on a run along the North Downs Way to meet up with Mrs L in Guildford. Suffice to say it was very wet, both in terms of the quantity of rain and the amount of puddles and mud. The outcome was 14 miles at a very ploddy pace and I turned up at the arranged meeting point wet and covered in mud from where I'd slipped over. Luckily we were meeting at a running shop and the shop manager was very sympathetic (he'd also run to work that morning!) and let me use the staff bathroom to change into a set of dry clothes, earning even more plus points on top of the excellent service provided under normal conditions - thank you Fitstuff!!!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Lorenzo!
    GM the keswick parkrun is out and back on a former rail route, climbing gradually out and fast back. However it’s on stoney ground underfoot so anything under 20 is a decent time.
    Yes Gul 11km in Morpeth but a lovely undulating course, very scenic. Great way to start the year. 
    Looks like I’ll finish the year around 2460 miles.

• Options
    Lorenzo - Nice to meet someone like that, always makes a difference in life. Well done on getting a 14 miler done too. Good luck for your parkrun. 

OO - That sounds like a tricky course. Good luck. Is Junior able to run now? 

Gul - Wise move, your body will thank you. Enjoy the extra time in bed. :smile:

Zero yesterday as I couldn't face a run after 2 hours sleep the night before and a silly busy day in work. Today wasn't much better. Everyone was quaffing champers at 3pm whilst I was on a call to NY and had to stay behind until 5pm but hey ho, I had a great Christmas, so I can't complain. Made amends tonight and did 8.2 miles on an undulating route. It was gale force 10 earlier but still about 40-50mph tonight but I stuck to the task and managed to average 7:14mm, which is not bad all things considered. Couldn't see in places because it was so dark , couldn't hear because of the lurgy and could barely breathe either. Someone shoot me pls! :smiley:
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Tough reading about all of the running going on as I've not been able to run a step. I was confused as to why my post-works chrimbo do hangover was so bad when I was actually in bed that night by 11pm, something didn't seem right.

Had fully blown man-flu all over the festive period, aching body, the lot.
    Still getting over it, first run will be New Year's Day and the start of the London campaign. Looking forward to trying out my first head torch, too.

Happy New Year, gang!!
  • Options

I’m just back from completing my 18th marathon or ultra of the year, in 3:06 and third place. During which I surpassed 3600 miles for the year which is over 300 a month. This is almost 70 a week and 10 a day. Chuffed! Happy New Year everyone!

• Options
    0054 a fine years tally
    Gul a fine 2nd half of the year and you just pipped 0054 as well 
    Poacher I suppose when you do as many mara's as you the costs mount up 
    Gerard
    rest up man you are sick !
    Gdawg hope you are over it now onward and upward .
    Badbark ain't nobody on here or even on the sub 3 thread  I suspect beating that mile munching !

How did everybody else do ,finished on 1923 mile myself , 1500m in the first 5 months of the year with the last half being mostly benched . The lurgy  is trying to take hold now too !

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hope you all had happy Christmases!  Since I have been away, BB has run two (2!!!) marathons. Sub17 has continued to run impressive sub-18 parkruns.  DadAgain has committed to the GC Marathon (one I plan to do in future as I have a friend down there enticing me over for it).  Discovered Lorenzo was in my 'hood and local running shop without telling me. GD has been sick (get well soon!). GerardFreemersOO and Birch keep ticking over (with Gerard looking noticeably quicker).  And Leslie continues to hang on in there.

I had my first setback since surgery on Christmas Eve when I turned my rubbish ankle 5 miles into a 2 hour run.  It was so depressing as I only had one dog having thought I was being sensible at not trying to multitask all the time!  I couldn't walk at all which worried me as I have always been able to hobble back home.  Had to call MrE on a dog walker's phone to rescue me in the car.  Spent the day trying not to panic, convinced I had fractured something having consulted the Ottawa Rules :D .  I kept icing, elevating and compressing.  Eventually after 3 days I was able to weight bear again.  Now, a week later, I can walk and am working on regaining full range of movement in the joint.  I'll do a bit of proprioception and strength work and get back to it in due course. A sobering reminder that I am not infallible despite having been repaired.  Doing core work like a nutter in the meantime.  :D

Hope you all have wonderful new years and am wishing each and everyone of you a happy, healthy and injury-free 2018!  Here's to another year of supporting each other along the sometimes bumpy road of life we call running.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    forget running - life itself is bumpy enough !!!   

1,347 here - a poor show

Happy New Year, everyone.
  • Options
    Hello, thread.  I've been AWOL for ages, I'm afraid, nursing injury, and am not going to pretend I have read the almost 200 notifications which greeted me when I logged back into the forums today.  But fingers crossed I've come out the other side of injury gloom: only 30 miles this week, but some cross-training on top means about 50 miles equivalent in total.  Hope everyone had great Christmases, and have lovely NYEs
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    End of the year and time to say congratulations on all you've achieved, and thanks for sharing so many stories of running and life beyond, bumpy and otherwise. 

Mara no. 80 for me today, ridiculously windy and rather Baltic in Newcastle but a good turn out. I was blown off the path a couple of times (being a lightweight with the physique of a Swan Vesta) but finished. Very slowly.

Annual summary: 1,115m run, 2,141m bike, got into cycle sportives which was the real aim; 11 maras although ran like a drain. Good however to do 3 maras in 3 days for the first time, even won a v v small mara and the even smaller multi-dayer.

But mainly, HNY to all and may the running gods look kindly on all of us in 2018.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Awesome effort today, Poacher.  Hope the injury free period continues, Jools
  • Options
    Great end of year marathon performances from BB and Poacher - 135 or so marathons (including 30 this year?) between you is pretty impressive going!

Hope GM and G-Dawg are feeling better soon.

Glad you're off the bench Jools - fingers crossed you'll be up and running again soon MsE.

Predictably tough and muddy Homewood parkrun (you should try it G-Dawg) on Saturday - finishing second wasn't too bad although my time of 21:20 was nothing to write home about. Decided to wear studs rather than trail shoes which was definitely a good idea given the mud and puddles on much of the course.

Finished up the year with another muddy one this morning on the annual club NYE run - an enjoyable 7 miles to bring me up to 2,157 for the year.

Other than taking an hour off my time for the C2C Ultra in January, I didn't manage any time-related PBs this year :'( but the highlights of the year (other than the thread get together in Chandos!) were my 111 mile Outer Hebrides escapade and the 2 day Peak District Ultra over my birthday.

My training schedule for London starts tomorrow - haven't yet decided whether it'll be with one or two parkruns as there's a staggered schedule for some of the events near us.

Thanks to everyone on the thread for a fun 2017, and let's hope we all continue to share in each other's successes in 2018!
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Happy new year guys and let's do it all again next year hey! Hopefully lots more miles with abundant smiles. 

MsE - Sorry to hear about the latest setback but you'll be back to it soon. Nice to hear from you again.

Poacher - Congrats and as usual I'm in awe at how you knock these out off so little running. But I guess you just love the pain and journey huh? 

Lorenzo - Good result! You've had an interesting year and a big life change with your job and had fun along the way. That's great. 

Birch - Similar mileage here my friend but how can we ever forget running? It's good to us when life isn't sometimes. 

Jools - Welcome back! What;s the matter? I hope you're over the worst of it. 

Leslie - I just read your post now and I'm glad I did as you would think I was just ignoring your advice but I probably would have anyway. :) 

Turned out to be a very good weekend of running for me if anything else. Did parkrun on Saturday. The gale force winds continue here and some big trees down on the course meant the course had to be changed. It was similar but with more of an XC feel as we had to run across fields twice and I actually quite liked it. It was hellishly windy though about force 7 and running into that headwind full on up some of the hilly bits was not easy. Managed 19:46 which I was surprised with as I could barely breathe but I settled for a steady pace rather than flat out and passed a few runners after a few laps to finish 7th. Today was good too, met up with a pal and we did 6.5 miles in our spikes on the grass and mud. Took it easy though and it was good practice for next week's Hamps  XC county champs. Love my spikes, they fit perfectly and feel so good. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It’s been great reading your year summaries. Glad you are back Jools, and really sad about your set back MSE, you don’t deserve the bad luck.
    Didn’t realise you were in Newcastle Poacher- Town Moor is a bleak place when it’s windy. You’ve had a great year considering the lack of mileage.
    I ran Keswick parkrun last Saturday, with the same time of 19:25 as Xmas day- was hoping for better. Junior is still out with a foot injury- very sad for her, no running at all this Xmas.
    I closed out the year with 2465 miles, highest ever total by about 200 miles. 
    A mixed year. Apart from my 3:02 vlm my main achievements were at shorter distances. Went under 18 mins 3 times at 5km the best was 17:42 at parkrun but also a 17:45 on the track. Also got a vet PB of 36:24 at a local 10km in April. 
    Nowhere near this speed at the moment but positive about 2018. 1st outing today is my 11km race. Barca marathon is mid March- the first of 3 this Spring. That will be the focus for the next few months. Then I’ll focus on track racing this summer. Also in a new vet catagory- I’ll turn 55 on 3rd Jan- proper old ;)
    Take care all, happy new year and looking forward to sharing stories and meeting up in London for VLM.

• Options
    Good luck with the County Champs GM. Does your club make a big thing of coming over for it? Sounds like the perfect excuse for a club tour!

Great running over the shorter distances in 2017 OO - hope today's race has gone well.

Another gruelling parkrun for me this morning in Reigate on the course that's often used for cross country events so plenty of muddy bits as well as a couple of tough uphill parts. Conerning downhill was an intersting challenge but my studs held up well for me to cruise past a few people and end up in 8th place. Managed to pace things pretty well so was pretty pleased with how it went even if I was over a minute outside my best for the course.

• Options
    Dec was 183.51 miles at 8:16 pace for an annual total of 2,069.63.

Double parkrun today with 5 miles between the two parks for a total of 16 miles. Happy with 19:55 and 21:15 compared with 20:02 and 21:06 from last year so 2 seconds slower overall but much happier with a sub-20 on the first outing to tick that box for the year.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done to the parkrunners.

Sorry to hear Junior is injured, OO. Hope she is better soon.

Also commiserations to MsE. I hope the ligament rehab goes well.

GM: I pulled the very top of my hamstring when I slipped training on grass/mud. I thought nothing of it until it was still sore and restricting me weeks after. 3 weeks of minimal running and lots of dull gym/strength work and I'm at 50% mileage. Not ideal...

6.5 miles in wet and windy conditions this morning. It brightened up nicely once I'd showered and eaten my brunch!
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - Well run again! Yes, the club always sends over a team and a few for Parliament hill. We have a decent team this year. One young lad who ran a 69 min half for his debut in Sept (he's a class act), then a handful of 2:30 senior marathoners, I'm just in there to make up the numbers and was pleased to be asked, it will go down as an experience. I am the slowest by a long way. I'm looking forward to it but I hope the weather is not too hideous. It's 11.75k and that's a long way for me on grass and mud. 

PMJ - I didn't realise that there were different start times for UK parkruns. A very good day by all accounts. 

Jools - Sounds painful but hopefully you're over the worst. Snap re the timing of the weather today. (see below).

OO - You ran some very fast times in 2017 for anyone let alone a 54 year old. Sorry to hear about Junior. I hope your race went well today. 

So I was a good boy last night and declined the offer of a fancy dress party. I stayed in and cooked a nice steak and had a couple of glasses of red and that was it. Up early and waiting for a window of good weather as it's still gale force wind but pouring down too. It stopped and I headed out and did 6.35 miles @ 8:13mm. 20 mins in the heavens opned up and the wind picked up. My word it must have been 60+ mph. It's the worst spell of continued gales that I can remember and like Jools. It dropped when I got home and the sun came out! Had a chilled afternoon and then headed out for another run. I wanted a harder effort and had to see what the body was like after weeks of illness. I came up trumps and did 3.65 miles at a tad over 6mm. Felt really good for the first time in ages. Never ran a sub 19 5k in training either so that was pretty sweet. The plan is to take it fairly easy for the rest of the week and hopefully there are no issues getting off the rock on Saturday as we all head to Eastleigh.  

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’ll be seeing you at parliament hill then Gerard ;).
    41:15 at my 11km race today, 10 secs up on last year but a higher placing, and 2nd v50 prize. Nice way to start 2018.
  • Options

Happy New Year everyone!

Well my plans for running every day over the Christmas break failed miserably - like GD I was struck down with a bad cold - the worst one I've had in years.  Started with a cough which wasn't too bad and I wheezed my way round 10 miles on Christmas Eve....but after that the whole head cold came out and I felt dreadful all week - so no miles again until yesterday when I shuffled round 5 very slow and painful.  Now looking at my VLM plan and getting a bit worried!

Anyway, I'm off on holiday for a week on Friday, down to the Cotswolds.  So only have 3 days at work to get through, and then hopefully get some decent miles in while I am away, before hitting the plan in earnest when I'm back.

Haven't read back very far yet so I hope you're all well and rested, and looking forward to a great running year :D