Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options

quiet day

I have been having trouble downloading Garmin data to my laptop.
    Turns out that the new USB multi port I have been using is not compatible with the ANT stick. 
    Solution - unplug multiport, put ANT stick into laptop and it works fine!!  Just means I cannot use my mouse at the same time or have the back up disc plugged in for a short time
    Technology eh!!

On uploading my most recent data I found that my Adidas shoes are now at 194% of normal wear - I think I may well get 200% out of them so the cost per wear/mile will fall very nicely. At £60 (discounted price - cheapskate that I am!!) it will work out at 5 pence/mile. Bargain!!

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    It seems so crude to have to determine your medication by trial and error, surely there is a more precise approach. Always the engineer.
    Garmin's software leaves a lot to be desired. The sub address used to share the usb has been around a long time but I am not surprised that the stick cannot handle it.
    My garmin 235 is plugged into a multiport and it works fine, just painfully slow. It is quicker to open up the 235 and drag the fit file directly onto garmin connect web page. It then uploads in seconds. Garmin express is very clunky software.

I thought you all might find this article interesting.

https://www.runnersworld.com/masters/71-year-old-sets-blazing-fast-mile-world-record-on-low-mileage?utm_content=2017-12-12&utm_campaign=Rundown&utm_source=runnersworld.com&utm_medium=newsletter&smartcode=YN_0001623706_0001647541&sha1hashlower=7218002a10ce55c9e531f40545fefcff4e18981d&md5hash=780be9219ee7d71fee368abebdc41331

He is running 15 miles a week and can run a 5:29 per mile. By the look of him I think he must spend many hours in the gym.

Another -15c with a windchill of -23c so back to the treadmill again. At the gym I at least got something to look at rather than the wall in my basement.

Mick
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    First run in over a week :( - 8km at average pace of 5:51/km (9:25/m).  First time over 6km, and first time less than 6:00/km pace since start of HM back in Oct.  Hamstring not painful but still very noticeable and limiting pace.  May give physio a miss for a month or two after I see him again tomorrow.  Not certain it is making much difference, though possibly because I am not keeping up with the exercises!  

Very impressed by all the near/sub-zero running efforts - snow included.  Minimum over night low I have recorded here in the last six years was +1C (on ave 3C or less about 3 days a year).  Minimum day max +11C.
  • Options
    NZD
    good return to running.  Keep up with the exercises!!!

Mick
    I read a few bits on line which pointed me in the direction of the USB hub.
    Good running there from that 71 yer old.  His training reminds me of the contrast between Coe and Ovett years back. Both world class runners but with completely different approaches to training. Ovett the classic middle distance runner with a high mileage regime over all sorts of terrain, Coe the high intensity, multiple repetition interval man - and both produced comparable results.  Horses for courses :)

Good decision to stay indoors in those conditions. Hope the view was worth the trip to the gym ;)

Unfortunately my medication is a trial and error basis.  The side effects of overdosage of Levothyroxine include palpitations, dizziness, chest pain, nausea, vomiting, decreased mental ability etc as well as possibly suppressing the thyroid glands natural ability to continue to produce thyroxine naturally. So my doctor is being very cautious about increasing dosage.
    My last tests showed a reduction from 5.9 to 5.0 but that is still outside the "normal" range of 2 -3 on the marker scale. Hopefully the new dosage will close the gap.
    That marginal reduction in level displayed in my last test corresponded with a perceived slight increase in strength/ stamina so I may be getting there. may need a TUE before long :) !!

I went out very early yesterday morning, as I had meetings later on, just as a shower of rain cleared. Pavements were sheathed in  black ice as the rain froze immediately on the cold ground and I abandoned after 1/2 mile and slipped back home.
    Bit better this morning but still icy in places as as I did my now usual 4.2 miles in 39:45 (9:30m/m) which was okay
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Hi all,

Not grumbling (especially given what poor TS is going through) but had the dreaded 'calf pull' today. Happened abut 400m from the end of a rather slippery parkrun which I managed in 21:37.
    I think this will put me out over Xmas and the New Year which is a drag as I had quite a few parkruns lined up. But I've had this problem before and got over it; moreover I've had a very good year (by my standards) both in terms of performance and avoiding and/or managing injury.
    Another grim result for NUFC so this will bad news for Graham and TS. And as for our brave boys Down Under...................!!
    Our weather nowhere near as horrible as most, but here's a funny thing (Mick) - we have Canadian relatives over and they keep saying how they are missing the mild Canadian winter back home. They live on Vancouver Island which sounds rather nice!
  • Options
    John, sorry to hear about your calf pull. As you say, it's a drag. But you know how to handle it, having suffered before. Still no sign of a NUFC sale. If we go down with Ashley still in charge, that will be it for me next season. A football fan needs some hope for goodness sake. 

Mick, thanks for the link. What a great mile time and interesting to see what training that was achieved on. As he said, to be running so well in one's 70s involves luck as well as hard work. 

NZD, yes, keep up those exercises! Has to be good that you're running pain-free though rather than it niggling.

TS, good test results. You have to be encouraged by that and feeling a little stronger.

Great to see Mo winning Sports Personality last night. About time!

Not sure what to make of Chris Froome. I don't believe he set out to cheat but it's another stain on a British cyclist's achievement.

I did 13.4 miles yesterday at 9.00 pace. Tired by the end but recovery today feels a bit better than after my last long run of about half a mile less a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    John
    ouch - nasty but always liable to happen on slippery surfaces. i hope it doesn't take too long to mend. You still recorded a very good time on one leg :)
    Astonishingly, when looking for something else, I noticed on Garmin that I have actually run over 1000 miles this year - all of them slow - so maybe I am not so poor!!

Graham
    It's that step up above 10 mile that induces tiredness - don't forget to have a cut back week every 4 weeks or so to aid recovery.
    I am not sure about Froome's test results either. it is inconceivable that anyone would set out to deliberately over use a nebuliser for asthma particularly in a situation where one knew that testing would take place on a daily basis  but then how to explain the result.

Maybe we now have to arrive at a situation where no medication is allowed at all for anything. If you are asthmatic it is a new category in the Para Games!!

The rise of state sponsored clubs in football means that there are very few who can compete on a level basis.  I think Ashley has done a reasonable job in keeping NUFC solvent from a business point of view but he can't compete financially and, like a number of other clubs are finding, mediocrity is no longer tolerated by the fans.

This article has a fascinating insight into football finances 
    www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/15/manchester-city-football-group-ferran-soriano

and particularly Manchester City!!!
  • Options
    Hi everyone, back home now, it always seems so strange when you guys are having to struggle with the cold that we have the heat!

Hawaii is a bit like NZ at the moment temperature wise. It's not too bad as far as the time difference goes either, only 1 hr difference, although we gain a day going there and lose a day coming back!

When we first arrived, my husband and our son had entered the World Xterra half marathon event as they love off road running and had decided if they had to walk Honolulu marathon, they would. I said I wasn't going to get sucked into doing an off road half the week before the marathon, but when they went to pick up their race packs, I saw there was a 5km so I entered that so I wouldn't feel left out.

It was a very tough event and the boys took a very long time, I burgled the 5km which was basically uphill for half of it and downhill for the second half. My event was over quickly though not time wise and had to laugh to myself when I found myself 1st in the W65-69. 

We then went to Maui and spent a few days there before coming back to Honolulu for the marathon.

The race starts at 5 am but we were in a hotel close to the start so we could walk there. There were thousands of runners/walkers, mostly Japanese. About 26,000 people entered and about 20,000 people finished.

It was a bit of a shambles at the start - not a race to run if you are worried about time. Yes, it is exciting with the fireworks, but with so many people, very difficult to get to the portaloos so just decided to wait and stop about 5km if I found one. I got lucky and that was one of a few stops I had to make. When you are away the body just doesn't do what you want it to do!

I knew pretty early on that this would not be pretty and would be a survival event. We got lucky and got a few showers which made it more bearable. Finished in 5.12.30 - that doesn't sound good but there were thousands behind me. The last time I did this event was in 1981. So long ago.

Both the boys finished and it was an achievement for my husband who is 70 and hadn't run/walked a marathon for 10 years. His last one was 2007 New York which was our son's first one.

We then had another week in another island and were able to enjoy being tourists before coming home.
  • Options
    John Bateman - sorry to hear about your mother in law, but sounds like she had a good long life.

Parkrun - 21.20 - bog standard current time! Congrats on the win and 2nd in the over 50s.

NZD - it is very frustrating how they work out what is rural and what isn't. Our house is designated as a bush section which it isn't, but is near the Waitakere ranges where the trees are protected, it does boarder the bush and sea but just one row of houses behind us they are able to do almost anything with their properties. 

Glad to see everyone is still getting out there. Had a 5km coffee walk yesterday. Must start running or my results are going to get worse, though I am still tired all the time. Must say I had a very long session last night trying to catch up with Coronation Street!

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    NZC,
    Sounds like a great trip, very envious of that warm weather running. I don't suppose you own a toque. 

John,
    Vancouver has very mild season, warmer than the UK. I been out there many times and the scenery is incredible, the ocean out front and the Rockies behind. It does NOT have typical Canadian weather.

TS,
    A thousand miles is a good year. With your issues that is a great achievement, I would say you are far from done.

Graham,
    I used to really enjoy watching the tour but not anymore. They all seemed to be cheating and the only issue is who gets caught.

John,
    I have become very cautious about what conditions I run in for that very reason. It is just too easy to pull something and it takes so long to get over it.
    I am lucky I have a selection of treadmills to choose from with lots to look at while I do it.

The weather here has continued to be awful, very cold and snowy so the footing has been poor.  I was in the middle of my treadmill 5 miler when a friend arrived. He was going outside and berated me for running indoors. He returned with a sore hamstring as he was continually get back slip. I tried not to be smug but it was tough. Today we ran together on adjacent treadmills
    My running is going very well. My gait seems to be going back to normal and my pace is picking up. 

The forecast for tomorrow morning is for freezing rain but at least higher temperatures, only -4c. I expect I will be on the treadmill again.

Mick
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Hi all,just a brief check in to say all is well here in Australia.

Christine,well done to you and your family on your marathon efforts.

Graham,the mileage is building nicely so all is looking good for you.

TS,things seem to be going pretty well for you at the moment.

John,hope the calf injury is a short lived one.

Mick,i had to do a treadmill run as it was to hot,not a lover of treadmill running but I guess we have no choice when it's to cold or hot.

Having to run early at 5:30 or 6:00am to avoid the heat,and so far I seem to coping okay.Thankfully I never suffered from jet lag like I did before so that was good.My grandsons are 3&6 and there batteries never seem to drain,so every day is pretty full on and I am exhausted but in a good way.

Probadly won't be able to post again before Christmas.So like to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and running miles.
  • Options
    Just looking in to say: I haven't been running on account of a Problem Knee, but glad to see you're all still going strong.
  • Options
    Columba
    an early Xmas present to you of a repaired knee!!!

Ray
    how awful - having to go indoors because it is too hot to run outside B)! Actually it can be very uncomfortable with all that sweat - and that's just playing with the g'kids.

NZC
    sounds like an epic trip for you and the family and well done to all on completing the marathon. Very nice to come away with a first place in the 5K as well :)

Mick
    not a nice mix of weather for you at all.
    I can just imagine you trying to keep a smug grin off your face - and not quite managing it ;)!!
    Your running sounds good.

I only made the 1,000 miles becasue I had a head start at the beginning of the year with 166 miles in January before the thyroid issue got a proper hold. Monthly mileage then declined until I reached a nadir in July of 25 miles ( that was when I stopped dead running out of my drive!!) and it has been up and down since then depending upon how my levels have been.

I was just thinking this morning that my 9:30 min/mile feel like the 7:30 ones I regularly did a couple of years ago. A friend on the Hash on Tuesday said that "now you know how us normal folk feel when running - that will teach you" which I had to laugh at :D

After a "rest" day yesterday ( driving to Manchester for  a 0730 meeting to avoid the traffic!!) I ran 4.1 miles this morning in 38:06 (9:17m/m) in mild, muggy conditions. I was overdressed with a thermal top and vest on!!
    The run itself was okay and felt quite comfortable apart from the usual Hipps Hill.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hello all
    been away from the forum for a while - not run for 10 days - just "other" stuff, some of which unfortunately affected my psyche a bit, but back to it today with a 10.5 miler with my good friend - plenty of talking "therapy" as we ran, so hopefully back in business.  Like TS, overdressed in the unexpectedly mild conditions - long sleeved thermal & short-sleeved T-Shirt was too much !   Well done on the 1,000 btw -  1,333 here (rounding down today's odd half mile)  :)    

I'll try to keep up again, now  

Dave
  • Options
    Dave
    the good news is that the days are now getting longer so hopefully that will lighten your mood :)
    a 10.5 mile run will do that anyway - I always found that gasping for breath made one concentrate on that most important need to get oxygen into the lungs!!

Still mild this morning but a bit brighter as I did the same 4.1 miles at a more sedate pace in 39:50 (9:40m/m) 

Nearly time for Christmas shopping so I may not be here until post Christmas - have a really good holiday all and enjoy the time with family and friends.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    More tough character building weather for me. I did managed to get outside once this week but it was a bit risky as there was a lot of black ice around.
    There are three different types of treadmills at the gym and of course I have tried them all. They all give different results from my garmin as it always seems to be short. There is a spread of about 400m over 5k.
    The garmin does rely on my gps outdoor runs for calibration so I suspect there is a difference in how I run outside compared with running on the treadmill.
    The weather forecast for tomorrow is ***** so our group run will be on the treadmills yet again.
    It will definitely be a white Christmas and the forecast is for temperatures in the -25c range. for those of you in NZ that is colder than your deep freeze.

Columba,
    Sorry to hear that your knee is still an issue but don't give up as it took me 2 years before I could run pain free again.

Merry Christmas all
    Mick
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hi all 

just a quick check-in to wish you all a Happy Christmas ! 

hopefully back to more regular posting (and running) on the other side . . . .  

Dave
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave.  Xmas here now (& almost also in UK!).  Very best wishes to all for Xmas - New Year. 

Definitely not a white Xmas here - a fairly muggy ~27C with patchy sun & slight breeze.  Overall quite pleasant for a BBQ lunch outside with various family members from near and far - Wellington NZ, Perth Australia, and Manchester UK (the other grandparents).

Unfortunately have not managed to get out for a run in the last week  or so - 'other things' as usual. Hopefully can get back to it tomorrow.
  • Options
    well I hope the lack of activity on here has not been reflected in training diaries :)!!

Very busy time here helped by not having a kitchen so had Xmas dinner at my daughter's and then Boxing Day at my son's - so it was  very pleasant not having to cook Xmas dinner for once.
    Festivities rather marred by driving up to Newcastle on Thursday to attend the funeral of the son of one of our very long standing friends who died suddenly before Christmas of an cerebral annurism leaving behind a fairly new bride and two young boys. So that's me not complaining about the cards dealt...................

Lunch with friends yesterday was very long and jolly in lovely surroundings at Middleton Lodge and tonight it's panto time with all the family and g'kids ... oh yes it is :D!!

Managed to fit in some runs most mornings of 4 miles or so - yesterday and today providing extreme contrasts - yesterday brilliant low level sunshine and -5C and today heavy snow lying about 2" deep when I went out over some ice

9:49   10:47
    8:54   09:40
    8:53   09:56
    9:57   11:44  Hipps hill - very slippy!!

9:20   10:30m/m

Both were enjoyable in different ways. I was fortunate that the snow today was fresh and dry but my shoes have reduced grip so a bit slippy.  I have done 1,195.6 miles in them so only another 4.4 miles to go and I can retire them with 200% wear extracted - good value for money!!!
  • Options
    Good Morning,

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and was able to get out and run:-0

TS: Getting good mileage from shoes fab job:-) No kitchen for Christmas so you had to go to the children for Christmas good plan;-0

I have been out every day barr 2 ice days where is was unsafe to do so.So nice to see my training in my training dairy rather than blank pages with illness or injury written down.But we have had strange temps freezing cold then tropical weather and you just don't know what you will get!

Let me take this time to wish everyone a Happy New Year let it be full of promise and hope for the new year.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Been back a few days after spending Christmas in Elder Daughter's household.
    TS, what a terrible shock for your friend, and what a dreadful thing for the widow and two little boys to have to cope with.
    Poppy, great to be back training again. I am still nursing my knee, but will be seeing physio on Tuesday, for the third time; unfortunately he is a bit mystified as to what is the underlying cause of the problem.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Happy new year

Rare visit hope you are all OK 
    TS oh dear hope you can get thyroid sorted sorry not been about much, at all 
  • Options
    Happy New Year all - may your roads be ever smooth and trouble free :)!!

Columba
    good to see you back in circulation but not such good news about your mysterious knee ailment. As Mick said a while ago perseverance may be the option.
    It was a shock for all of us as he was an exact contemporary of my son - they spent much of their childhood playing together 

Welspoppy
    good to see you back on the roads - the weather has been a bit unsettled hasn't it?!!

Pammie
    I'm getting there - or at least getting to be reconciled with it

I have had a really bad cold since the panto, oh yes I have, but I couldn't start the year with a blank entry so very gently jogged the two miles to where I had left the car last night - in retrospect probably a mistake  :(
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year to all.

The weather here has been really cold as in sub -20c for the last 2 weeks. As a result I am now very familiar with treadmill running. Totally fed up with having to stay inside but -27c is even too cold for the dog.

TS,
    Really bad cold is NOT good but grandchildren can do that to you. I cannot blame children but three of our Christmas party came down with the dreaded lurgy over the Christmas period including myself. It only lasted a couple of days but it included heavy vomiting so not much fun was had. It is good that we have 4 bathrooms.

Columba,
    Sorry to hear that the knee issues are still ongoing. I have reached a point now where I am getting no pain at all, so there is hope.
    My gait is returning to normal and my confidence is coming back so looking forward to the spring races.

The New Year ParkRun went ahead here, despite the normal Saturday morning one being cancelled. Running on snow and ice with no marshals and the timekeeper sitting in his car trying to keep warm requires a level of dedication I nolonger have. It was -27c without the effect of the wind.
    I find it hard to believe but 21 people turned up.

My running is going well and I got my New Year run in, 5k on the treadmill.

Mick
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Belated Happy New Year and best wishes for 2018 to all.

Unfortunately in my case the lack of posting is reflected in my training diary  :/  

Did manage 8 km yesterday morning but that was only my second run in ~4 wks so not good.  Difficult time of year for me (work, visitors, relatives, Xmas - New Year etc, main summer holiday period here).  Good news is that though the hamstring was a bit uncomfortable, there was no pain as such.  Ave pace 5:55/km not flash but I am reasonably happy with it given the hamstring, lack of recent running, warm humid conditions, mid-summer sun, and New Years day lunch indulgence the day before (weight up 1.5 kg :/).  HR was higher than I would have preferred at that the pace (~80 WHR ave) but clearly attributable to the foregoing.  Due to upcoming work trips it will difficult to get into regular training until Feb but hopefully will be better than in the last month. 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hello all, and Happy New Year

Good to hear your (cautious) optimism re hamstring, NZD

started the year as I mean (hope) to go on , with 8 on Monday, 12 yesterday - the 8 included a few tentative "strideouts", with, in similar fashion, NZD, no hamstring reaction

have a great year, everyone - what are your goals, if any ?    (Graham - still on track for your marathon) ?  

Dave
  • Options
    Mick
    it's interesting having you complaining about -27C and NZD complaining about warm, humid conditions :)!!
    We get all life on here.
    Sorry to hear about your bug - I am still struggling with a temperature, cold and dry cough so I am for once being sensible and not running. I reckon I picked it up in a packed theatre  - there were more coughs going round the audience than laughter at times - and  it was a very good panto!!

NZD
    sounds like you got all your excuses in there :)
    where are you off to on your work trips?  What are you doing?
    My most exotic work trip in the near future will be to London for a few months commute - the thought of a crowded Tube does not appeal as I struggle to get rid of this bug!!

Dave
    a very good start to the new year - well done.
    I had a brief look back at last January - I started a 28 day "streak" that saw me do 156 miles which was about my normal mileage when building up aerobic fitness and then the thyroid issue, unknown to me, started to take hold.  I guess my aims will be to finally stabilise the condition and then run a 20 min 5K!!!
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Birch,
    Impressive start.
    New goals are simple, keeping running in my 70s. I am ready to get back to some speed work so hopefully I can be a bit more ambitious than that.

TS,
    Your bug sounds a bit worse than just a cold. Mine was awful but very short, just a couple of days. Feel great now.

Well I finally got outside today as it was only -8c. The footing was bad but survivable wearing my YakTrax.
    We have been setting records for cold but here is hoping that it moves on soon. With a bit of luck the jet stream will swing east and send it off to Europe, sorry but it is your turn.

Mick
  • Options
    Morning

TS: Your lurgy sounds pretty bad there are lots out there and it keeps coming back as well I can not go anywhere public like trains etc s I always pick something up:-(

Training is going well no issues and all planned sessions hit.It was touch and go with the storm yesterday but it had calmed down by mid day so I went out then that I could find the time to go out.
    Long run today eek trying to build up to 14 miles I am on 11 as long run so we shall see:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Happy New Year to everyone and good running in 2018.

Things aren't going so well for me as I'm injured again. To be honest it's something I've had since late summer but it's gone from being a minor nuisance to something more restrictive since increasing my mileage with a marathon in mind.

The problem is that the toes on my left foot curl inwards during a run, which destroys any rhythm and soon makes running very uncomfortable. I assume my foot's tightening up somehow but the funny thing is that there's no pain at all. Until recently it went away after a while and I could carry on but now it's more persistent. I've tried all the stretching exercises for feet and calves and these cause no discomfort, unlike when I had the plantar fasciitis.

So, I've made the decision to stop training and running competitively. I know this might sound defeatist but I'm just not enjoying training any more. For over two years now I seem to have been either injured or recovering from injury and I'm tired of worrying about it. Also my times have fallen off a cliff and I can't put all of that down to the groin injury this time last year.

The idea of entering the marathon was to give me fresh motivation and I'm sure it would have done. Failing that, I just can't see me wanting to put in 25 to 35 miles a week. Thinking about it a lot over Christmas I've decided to just run enough to keep fit and to still take part in parkruns, relays and cross-country. Without bothering about times, which I was trying to do anyway. That way I can still keep in touch with the local running scene and friends. I can't see myself running any more 10Ks and the like though.

I feel a bit sad about this but very positive too. I'm sure running much less will give me more energy for cycling and hill-walking, both of which have been very much neglected for the last 10 years or so. I can look back on a few achievements, certainly more than I ever expected to achieve when I started running at age 60.