Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yep, sundays race was cancelled, as I result I did a 16 miler Saturday then went out in the snow for 10k at easy Sunday. Yesterday I did 4 miles easy. That is likely to be the theme of the week, though if the weather clears up I may try and get to a parkrun Saturday.

Race has been rescheduled for 21st January. I currently have a half pencilled in for that date, albeit I have not entered it yet. I am going to run the Gloucs 10 on New Years Eve. That actually takes in much of the route for the half. If that goes well then i'll probably stick with the planned half.

• Yep the race was cancelled Tommy so I shoehorned in a parkrun top end effort to compensate before the snow came. The parkrun was very much sabotaged by my work christmas do Friday night, icy surfaces, and not much sleep. Nevertheless I finished 2nd in 17.44 and got a good workout.

Since then with the snowfall there has been no chance of running. With reluctance I'll be taking to the gym treadmill for the foreseeable. I have got a transfer entry to the Brass Monkey and really cannot afford to slack off too much if I want to give it a good go.
  • Phew!  Thought I'd killed the thread but maybe it was just the weather keeping everyone quiet.  Well done, DT and muddy for getting some good runs in and good luck with your parkrun, Tommy.

I braved the cold this afternoon to get a session in.  Luckily, my favoured route for short reps was mostly free of snow and ice.  Because there was very little traffic around, it was easy to avoid the few slippery patches.  Did 5 x 600m off 90s. I was aiming at slightly faster than 5k pb pace so 4:16 to  4:18 per km.  Three of the reps were in that range but two were quite a bit faster so mean came out as 4:13.  That'll do!
  • That will certainly do Pete! You must be tempted by the local 5K this weekend?!
  • Well done with that in this weather, Pete. I tried to make 15km on the treadmill interesting last night by getting off the treadmill every now and then to do some core work. It was roasting in the gym though, as it's attached to a swimming pool which generates a lot of heat. I left a big puddle.  :o
  • I hope you mopped it up before leaving ;)  #gymetiquette
  • Hi everyone - still here - nothing to report, but still here.

There has been some weather recently that has made me feel better about not being able to run! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    good session, Pete. Must be well worth a race of some sort now?

Excellent post party parkrun, muddy.

I have been hit with another cold. Not had one in a year and now 2 in 5 weeks. I felt terrible yesterday so took a rest day. I don't feel great today but dragged myself to spin and actually feel much better now. 

I may just keep it easy next couple of days and then attack a parkrun Saturday given my unplanned rested state.

I'm hoping the ice/snow will be home when I get up tomorrow. 
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    @DT I assume home = gone :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    ha, yes that is predictive text for you. I just cannot understand if I type an actual word using my phone why it cannot just assume that it is that word I intended and so go with that!
  • Still too icy to run near me, and I couldn't hack another sweat fest on the local swimming pool treadmill, so just did a cooler 5k treadmill run over lunch at my work gym yesterday. I am actually looking forward to getting out at lunchtime today near work for a run on terra firma.

I may join DT on the all out parkrun bandwagon on Saturday given my similarly rested state.
  • parkruns all round. Trying to convince Bob to get himself along to the same parkrun as me.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    every parkrun in region cancelled. Seco s weekend running in 'race' ready without a race!
  • I've been running reasonably well recently so was planning to have a go at the Lancaster 5k today.  However, it was very icy here this morning and the three local parkruns were all cancelled so I decided not to risk the 40 mile trip up the M6.  Spent the morning baking bread and cranberry muffins instead. The results are up so I guess I made the wrong call.  At least I've not spoiled my 100% pb record in races* this year!

* excluding parkruns
  • Shame about that Pete. Hopefully you can get a race in early next year.  

Unlucky with another cancelled race, DT.

I did manage to make it to parkrun but I knew conditions weren't going to be great on the course and after a fairly hectic week, it didn't take much for me to decide that I couldn't be bothered with an all out PB attempt. Made it in to a parkrun sandwich; 3.5 mile warm up which ended up being a bit of a made dash to get to the start on time, parkrun in 20:21 and a 3.5 mile cool down back to the car.

Followed that up with a 14 mile club run yesterday round a local 'classic' route. Predominately off road/trail/cross country and with about 1000ft of climbing, great route around the countryside (although the weather was a bit rank). 

Calves are a bit tight today, so a rest day but that works quite well as it's the running club Christmas party tonight.       

• Well done Tommy, I felt like a sandwich too but almost every park run in our area was cancelled so just stuck to the ham variety for lunch. I did get out for a varied pace 6 miles over mud and hills on Saturday morning and then had engaged a babysitter to allow me to run for 11 miles on Sunday evening. Both really pleasant runs that almost had me wishing for the treadmill ! 

I have to say this is the lightest December I've had since starting running, both in volume and intensity. I feel like I need to run an overload week this week to try to overcome the lack of tune up race efforts I go through usually at this time of the  year ahead of the Brass Monkey. Even with very optimistic planning, I can't see how I can squeeze out even 40 miles this week. Grr.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I went out yesterday for a hilly 15. The first few miles were hard going and I almost binned it. It doesn't help that the profile of my loop means that almost all the climbing (1000 foot) is in the first 10 miles. It does though make for an enjoyable last 5 miles. It was bitterly cold though and hammered down from about 5 miles in.  I took advantage of the downhill for the last two miles as was feeling decent so opened the legs out for a 6.30 and 6.44 mile.

Last December I ran 165 miles and also in June I ran 165 (significance being it is the base month before mara sch) so I at least need to get to that level this month, currently on 99. Going to try and hit some faster paces this week though having had two weeks of plodding. I ll follow this with an easy week over xmas and then my London schedule kicks in.

• Merry Christmas everyone!
  • Merry Christmas Skinny, and to everyone else that will shortly be overdoing it. 
  • Merry Christmas to all! Just over 5k non-parkrun with the family this morning to earn some bonus calories.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas all!

Well done getting out, Pete. No intention of running today, want to enjoy every minute when the kids are tiny. Missed out on Xmas eve run so hoping to recoup that tomorrow. 

Barely felt like ive trained this month but if I can string together 40 miles this week it'll be my highest December's mileage. Doing a 10 miler new years eve so it'll be an easy week. 
  • Merry Christmas Overdoners.
    hope you’ve all had a nice relaxing break. Great family jogging pic Pete; no running in our household, with or without relatives, for quite some time. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Seasons greetings all.

Hope to read some decent end of year reviews (if you still do that on here!).

Here's to everyone maintaining their hunger to keep it going for another year, may 2018 be a satisfying running year.

@Skinny (does this tag actually work on here?), keep going mate, good times somewhere in the way ahead I guarantee

• Good parkrunning from you and the family Pete ! You seem to be running very consistently.

Nice to see you back posting Lou - I guess, despite the PF downtime, you will be doing the cross country in a weeks time ?

Greetings Stevie, 2018 is looking promising for you on the back of the mileage laid down these past months. I’ll endeavour to recap my year soon, but there is still a bit of running to do ;)

Best of luck with the 10 mile race tomorrow DT.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm entered in the xc, though not sure I overly fancy it now. Last year's race ruined me for weeks and my Mara schedule starts Monday.

I'll have a look at doing a review, albeit I have one more outing in the morning. Not sure I'll be where I felt I was before the plan A 10 miler 3 weeks ago though, as December has been a month of over indulgence and a lot of easy running. 

Good luck in your 10k, Muddy.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Missed a pb by about 12 seconds (forgot to stop watch). Pretty tough conditions in the wind and looking on strava lots went out with intent and faded. 

I was using the mile markers as they were out from my watch. At Mile 9 i was 25 seconds into a pb  (8.95 on gps) so just settled at 6.25 pace for last mile. Unfortunately not only was there a distance correction but we went a bit further so last mile was 1.1 miles, so came in about 63.38 which was annoying. 

Quite pleased though I can run at that effort on New year's eve following quite a bit of over indulging this last month and more so this last week. A good 5lb weight gain in there and very little running beyond easy all month. 

Decent platform to start London schedule tomorrow. 
  • Well done DT, you might as well call it a PB.

Despite all my metrics looking good last week, the overload of the last 10 days left me feeling rusty for tonight’s 10k. So I managed 36.09 on chip which was a bit slower than I thought I was possible (the Lancaster half time of 77.56 from earlier in the month puts me in the low 35 territory according to McMillan). Although snow has messed things up through December, with my planned 5k and 10 mile race sharpening efforts taking a hit, I didn’t expect to be too far from low 35 for this one. Ah well, slightly disappointing, but I’ll just have to look forward to the cross country and the Brass Monkey now.

Best wishes for 2018 to you all.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I think NYE is a tough date to race properly if you engage fully in Christmas.

I've another go at 10 miles in 2 weeks so hoping weather and life will let me have a good go then. 

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year everyone and well done muddy and DT for seeing out 2017 with a race.

Ok, I'll go first with a review.  Same format as last year.

Total Distance Run in 2017

2570 km – astonishingly, exactly the same as in 2016.

2017 Race Total   2 plus 2 parkruns

Amount of different race distances taken part in: Three - 10k, 6 mile and parkrun.

2017 pbs   6 miles and 10km

2017 Running Highlights

Finally beating Brian at the Lostock 6 and finally running sub 45 for 10k

2017 Running Lowlights

Having to pull out of what would have been my first half marathon on doctor’s orders.  Tablets soon got the blood pressure under control but then an Achilles injury ruined my summer and it has taken ages for me to get back to feeling fit. 

2017 Thread Race Performances of the year

Three colours/metals in contention.  DT set several pbs and gained a silver cell.  Also impressed by lit’s Chariots of Fire Beach 5k win and her prize of a golden shower shovel. However, my vote goes to the Brass Monkey Half where, in very different fashion, Muddy and Madbee set significant pbs.

2017 Thread poster of the year

DT.  At times he has been the only one of us racing and posting!  Thank you for keeping the flame burning.

2018 Aims

Same aims as for 2017 (I achieved 2 and 4)

1. Stay fit

2. Set at least one pb and improve wava

3. Do a 10 mile race and/or half marathon

4. Avoid marathon training: see 1.

Most Missed thread poster

Literatin.  Please come back!  Also hope to hear more from lou, McFlooze and Madbee in 2018.

2018 One to watch I’m hoping for an inspirational return to fitness for Skinny.