My Last Run

Comments

• 9km recovery for me today around a nearby reservoir.  Loads of birds* and birdwatchers and a few families out, plus two other runners.  OH came with me which was nice.  

Probably saw a beaver, there are some active close by and it wasn't a cat that scurried across the path.  Overindulgance later so will be out again tomorrow hopefully.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

*: cormorants, upended swan, coots, moorhens, mallards, assorted other duckage and gullage, great white eagret, standard herons...  just read that some 310 diferent species have been observed here over the years.
  • Hello, MLRers, and here's hoping you all made the most of the festivities.  

As I podged around the swan lake last night, turning night into day - almost - with my new, rechargeable head torch *get me*, I thought of each runner about to start another annual running experience, or adventure; the new routes, sights and sounds; races studied and entered; times aimed for, missed or lowered; and that delicate body balance that enables all this.

I've ordered myself an indeterminate number of Streak days - which is no real surprise.

Stay healthy, run boldly and tell the tale afterwards.   :)

• Happy Christmas, all! I made it to South Manchester parkrun yesterday (my friend was still in bed - though in truth he needed the sleep as he'd been working nights driving trucks). I was pretty tired as we'd got back from my friend's parents at 1.30am but I finished in 28:59, which is a nice improvement on my Saturday run at Tooting. I'm still a long way off form but it will come back.
  • I prowled around some rechargeable headtorches whilst looking for one for my brother for xmas swittle but didn't invest in one for myself as I have two at that moment that work still.   Be interesting to know how well it works. Good list of things to look out for in 2018.  It is not all about racing. 

Nice parkrun Cal.

16.2km for me yesterday evening after getting back from the inlaws.  Didn't really want to go out at all but afterwards I was pleased to have done so.   Enjoyed a small portion of fruit puree at 10km.  I hadn't had much more than around 5 slices of toast and a couple of biscuits all day and 10 miles seemed a bit far to go out without anything.  It went down very well.  According to the package they are suitable for babies as of 4 months but my 43 year-old body likes them too and they taste much better than gels. 
  • I hope you all had good Christmases
    Sounds like a lovely festive run for you Hazel, and a very emotive update from swittle.
    I ran an easy and bloated 5k on Christmas morning which was the first time I've ever managed to escape whilst cooking the mammoth Xmas dinner we do for 15.  
    Then this morning was a truly hardcore hill reps session XC at a nearby park with some (all much faster) club mates. Driving snow and winds throughout made the whole thing bracing and made me feel even more entitled to the chocolate, cheese and crackers this afternoon :-)
  • Brrr, cold out there! But sunny, which means it's nice for a runny. (Nicer than your windy hill reps, at any rate, Nessie!) I managed 7 miles today so I'm building back up slowly. I've got 14 weeks to find another 19 miles and not get hurt in the process...although right now I'm more concerned about the half I have in 7 weeks.
    Anyone doing NYD parkrun?
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Happy halfway through Xmas week everyone. A longer run than intended at 15.7miles in 2hrs. Couldn't see my watch in the gloom so thought it was a couple of miles shorter. Went okay. Some icy spots here and there, especially in the countryside, but nothing treacherous. Got a little tentative later in the failing light when I couldn't pick out the frozen puddles. Have lost a few pounds which probably helps with stamina as I'm not dragging such a fat bastard around. Christmas dieting is an interesting experience. Cold out but finding it best not to get too wrapped up. I find I overheat more these days. Probably because I'm getting old. Chased a pheasant down a country road for a bit, but it flew off which I am unable to do. The mini USB port on my Nathan running torch has snapped so I can't recharge it. Still works but when the battery dies that will be that. Don't make them anymore. Bugger. Supposed to snow tomorrow. Let's be careful out there.
  • Silence seems to draw out my literary side, Nessie.  Thank you.  Unlimited refuelling sanctioned!    ;)

Delighted to read of your HM to Mara progress, Cal.  :)

Jt, these are encouraging words - double figures seem to suit you *no reference to Christmas diet btw*.

8pm tonight and a 2nd outing for the new head torch.  I've not seen batteries like these and I suspect that, if I need replacements - in spite of the charger - I may be pursuing them in eastern Europe.  Dusted off my Inov8s afer peeling the sole clean off my faithful trai shoes last night. :o
  • Nice afternoon fare Nessie and well deserved. 

Your HM and mara sound doable Cal. 

The pheasant might have made a nice pie JT - try and catch it next time.  Not sure about plucking it though. 

Good excuse to go shoe shopping swittle. 

I had a crap run yesterday:  i was supposed to have been doing 21km with 13 at marathon pace.  I did an out and back and fought with my head the whole way along the out bit.  Turned back, did one more km and couldn't keep going.  Dropped to a jog and struggled back the remaining km - I didn't know i could jog so slowly at times and even took two walking breaks.  I had no energy on setting out already and once I turned into the cold wind nothing worked.  One to forget I guess.  

Cross training today - mtb plod.     
  • I actually have two HMs booked - Hampton Court in Feb and then the Big Half (new race) two weeks later. The latter is five weeks out from Manchester so that's ample recovery time.
    Hazelnut - it happens sometimes. Don't get disheartened. :)
    JT - that's rather quick! Nicely done.
    Sorry to hear about the shoes, swittle!

Parkrun today, and very windy it was, though quite a bit warmer than earlier in the week. Official time was 29:08 which is a long way off my best, but I guess I can't expect it to come back quickly. I'm just happy I can actually do a parkrun at all. And I'll be doing another on NYD.
  • Hello all! Good to hear everyone is managing to get out and about despite the cack weather. I had an unplanned 6 day hiatus over yuletide due to a mince pie induced hacking cough. Managed a lot of lego building and only one turkey lunch though, so not all bad.
    Am in deepest west Wales with the Cymru section of la famille now and thoroughly enjoyed a new Parkrun this morning - the Llanelli Coast one. A stunning course, out and back on the coastal path overlooking the bay. Had a good pace 'battle' with a fellow plodder and was happy with 25:24. As always Parkrun warms the old cockles and it was further enhanced by the Welsh #banter. To top it off, I then headed to my favourite birding spot and had a fantastically close encounter with a gorgeous Firecrest,  one of my top 3 birds. Tidy.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Wishing you all a splendid 2018, MLRers! Maybe there are a few targets/resolutions to share? Before I get to mine, I squeezed in a final run of 2017 this avo. I worked out how to programme interval training on my Tom Tom (after ignoring the fact I have known how to do it for a year) and so did a little session out on the Quay and marshes here in Wales. A warm-up followed by 3 sets of 5 mins hard, 2 mins recovery jog and then a cool down. Nearly burst a lung! It worked out at 4 miles and am assured by my tri-athlete mate that this is what I need to do to get quicker. The best part of it was that I spooked a magnificent Great White Egret - a rare migrant here - which I now need to submit a description for, to the county bird recorder - it's that rare :) So that's a great end to the year!

As for what I resolve to do:

Speed training - must feel the burn.
    Stretch more - stop the creaking.
    Parkrun - closer to 24 than 25.
    10K - bust 54.
    HM - closer to 2:00 than 2:10
    Upgrade my distance to somewhere between HM and full Marathon.

Happy New Running/Life Year!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Happy New Year everyone. Haven't got any running resolutions as such, just to run more - get in 4 runs most weeks.
    Today 11.10miles under 1hr26. Had a weird moment at mile 2. I got an odd sensation in my chest and immediately the energy washed out of me. Eventually stopped for a minute, after which I was fine. It took my watch an age to get a signal so had chilled down before starting. Wonder if the cold made my heart do a clunk. Probably nothing. Probably.
    Lots of runners about. A slower run than it felt. But am still alive.
    Still can't decide what to replace my running torch with. Want something bright, headtorch I guess. Maybe a defibrillator.
  • Happy New Year from me too. 

I finished off the year with a 7.5 km race, around the same reservoir as last week - no time to birdwatch this time.  Ridiculously warm at around 12 degrees. 

Around 2 minutes slower than last year but I'm fine with that, it was a decent run off not too much speed work in the last weeks. 

Rest day tomorrow - will need that to digest the large portion of cheese fondue I have just eaten...
  • Happy New Year, MLRs!
    JT - scary! Hopefully it's nothing. :worried:
    Will - what a wonderful sight! Not that I'd know one egret from the next, but I'm sure you appreciated it.
    Well done on your race, Hazelnut. It was 12 on Saturday here, but down to 7 this morning. Needed gloves again.

Didn't go out last night so I was quite fresh for parkrun. I didn't pace it particularly well (went off a bit too fast for my current fitness level, and had to slow on the last two laps) but I ran a sub-29 (28:58) which is the best time I've done at my local since the injury. I feel rather unfit (it's a little depressing to be three minutes off my best) but my hip is holding up and that's the main thing.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Good racing Hazel and Cal.
    9.7miles in 1hr14 tonight. Pushed on a bit further than inclined to, but it was still a mile short of what I thought. Splits inconsistent. Like yesterday an inexplicably slow mile near the end which didn't feel slow. 
    Out in the dark on unlit paths and roads. Lit up a few bunnies by torchlight. Cold and drizzle. I've taken to wearing hats. Happy January.
  • Back again after another injury, this one involved some minor surgery but thankfully I'm fit again now so I went out today for a wet and windy 10k along the seafront. Took it nice and slow with a couple of short breaks and feel much better for having finally got out there again!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Stick that run in the small box, Hazel - you know, the one next to the large box labelled good runs.

Thanks, Hazel & Cal - no tears shed over moribund daps.  The Inov8s are now earning their corn: a 5-mile off-roader tonight, wild, woolly & windy with plenty of sub-aqua stuff!  Met a talkative Scotsman who told me of his scheme to use pressure under the sea to generate power - I'm a good listener.  ;)

Will, that Llanelli parkrun has a great reputation.  Happy twitching in 2018!

Keep an eye on that ticker, JT.  I had a similar turn 6 years ago.

Numbers for 2017: 1584 miles.  265 hours on the run.  733 days' streaking, or 2 years & two days.
  • Impressive stats there, Swittle. May your streak be long and fruitful.

Glad to hear your recovery is continuing, Cal. I'm sure the fitness will return quicker than you expect.

It's been too long since my last fondue, Hazelnut. Sounds like a nice race to finish the year on.

Hats off to you, JT, for the dark run commitment. I seem to have inexplicably slow miles at most points of my runs. I think that's why is always played in goal.

Good to see you back out there Pompey Matt. Hope the year is injury free for you.

I roused myself for a nice Jan 1st morning run, having seen midnight for the first NYE  in 6 years - as reminded by my lovely wife. A sunny 4 miles down the Quay. With a few 'spurts', plenty of mud and a smart Grey Wagtail (actually more blue and yellow than grey). I have a 10K trail race on Sunday, so a bit more prep to do for that when I return to flat old Norfolk.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Happy 2018 all! What a crap year 2017 was for me. On and up hopefully.
    Fantastic streaking as ever swit :-)
    JT, hope you're feeling OK
    Will, carry on taking it easy
    Cal, getting there ;-)
    Hazel, a crap run and a good run it sounds. That's how it goes sometimes.

Interesting set of resolutions Will and I always start my year with a running / fitness related resolution. I believe that last year's was to do a "proper" (ie open water) triathlon. I didn't manage that, although I did a team tri and a swimrun event, which was insane and brilliant. I also did lots of OW events, most of which were great.  

2018's resolution is running related and it's simple yet frightening: that elusive sub 4 hour marathon for VLM in April.

I sat down and sorted out my marathon training plan yesterday, which is exciting / scary and surprisingly complicated now I have to factor in care of my parents as well as taxiing of my youngest. I've used the ASICs one as I remember Hazel saying she follows it, and adapted it a bit. This year I need to be very disciplined with pace. Miles I love, but the pacey stuff I find tricky. I need to limit myself to 4 targeted runs a week, plus a swim and a cross train. I like to run more often but I know these are "junk miles" and counter-productive.
    I also weighed myself and am rather ashamed of how much alcohol, cheese and mince pies I've consumed. I need to lose around a stone in the next few months to be at my ideal racing weight  :o

Haven't run since NYE when I did a pretty near marathon pace 13 miles with a friend, which was fun, and appetite inducing :-)

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Good luck with the marathon plan Ness.
    A 12mile run in two parts. 10miles in 1hr16. Pace was up and down. At 9miles tiring so wrapped it up at 10 and had five minutes rest. No weird moments though. A slower couple of miles home. Don't like stopping but fair enough today. Diet is thrashing my system a touch.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Nessie, Will: I wish you well with your running resolutions.  Simply to set them out is a small victory.
    Will - have a grand 10k Sunday - and Nessie, I used to find sticking to any plan difficult as the new year turned.  The only formal items were usually 3 x 20-mile races in March!  Oh, if you're running HM now, I'd say you were well ahead  :)

Tonight, I knew I'd need to take on a southerly wind that had been building all day.  Allowing it to drive me northwards towards Burbo Bank, I knew I had to turn and face my dual adversaries: almost horizontal squally rain, droplets reflecting off my head torch like mini-shooting starts and the relentless force of 50mph blasts almost driving me to a standstill.  Needless to say, I saw no other runners, although Crosby Leisure Centre looked busy.  A four-mile pummelling!
  • Hats are nice running accessories JT.  I recently saw a nice pink number bobbing across the fields - the runner was otherwise wearing dark stuff on a gloomy day but the hat really stood out.  Don't overdo it if your're not 100% at the moment.

Nice parkrun Cal.

Hi Matt - good to see you back.  

Swittle I've tucked that little box of bad runs back into the shelf where it belongs - it can gather dust for a while..  I like getting out the other one and leafing through the good ones!  I ended the year on 5 miles less than you..  :p   I wasn't competing with you for it though - it just turned out that way.  Training for and doing 2 marathons again in 2017 certainly boosted my mileage.
    The weather you had yesterday sounds similar to what I am facing today if I do go out on my recovery 6km.  Might postpone my next couple of runs by a day as I have a long run due on Thursday and it will be very wet for that.

Nice run on Jan 1st will.  

Good to hear you have sorted your mara plan Nessie - those rest / cross training days are important as well as the running days.   I'm doing an 18 week P&D plan (up to 55 miles - the smallest one there is and enough for me) this time around just to do something different to the Asics plans which I have almost always used.  I was happy with the results run off of those though.  Plenty of time to loose that stone.  And yes - 13 miles at mara pace is impressive - I can't do that yet.

Just short of 17km for me yesterday in 1:35:35.  Picked a route out of the worst of the wind and had excellent taxi service from OH as it was a one-way one.  Mostly off-road on tracks along the river Aare (a side arm).  Had to ford an ankle deep stream about 5km from the end which I wasn't expecting.  The water was icy cold to get into but my feet were warm again pretty quickly if somewhat soggy .  Need to think of a good method to warn people that I am approaching from behind - polite coughing doesn't always work - maybe hang a cow bell around my neck?
  • Wir sind Top-Lieferanten und Produzenten von neuen Dokumenten. Wir verarbeiten registrierte und nicht registrierte Dokumente. Qualitativ hochwertige gefälschte Dokumente
    Kontakt... (interpassdocs@consultant.com)

Heiratsurkunden und Führerschein etc kaufen hohe Qualität - Wir haben die besten Hologramme und Vervielfältigungsmaschinen mit über 12 Millionen Dokumente aus der Umlauf der ganzen Welt.

Wir verarbeiten

skype.......experts docs

Pässe,
    Diplomatenpässe
    Führerschein,
    Personalausweise,
    Geburtsurkunden,
    Heiratsurkunden,
    Scheidung-Zertifikate
    Visum
    Sterbeurkunden
    Aufenthaltsgenehmigung
    Bankdokumente
    Bank-Erklärung
    Land-Zertifikate
    Sterbeurkunden
    Versicherungsbestätigungen
    Diplom
    Visa-Karte

und andere Dokumente, die Sie will

skype.......experts docs

WIR VERARBEITEN DOKUMENTE ZU GÜNSTIGEREN PREISEN ABER HOHE QUALITÄT
    Unsere Dokumente kommt mit allen Features, Wasserflecken, registrierte Marken, Barcodes, Hologramm, Bio metrische Tipps etc.
    Wir haben bereits Millionen von Dokumenten, die auf der ganzen Welt im Umlauf
    Wir verarbeiten Dokumente aus allen Ländern, einschließlich

USA
    UK
    Kanada
    Frankreich
    Australien
    CHINA
    Mexiko
    Deutschland
    Belgien
    Österreich
    Spanien
    Taiwan
    Thailand
    VIETNAM
    SÜDKOREA
    Singapur
    Japan
    Südafrika
    Marokko
    Tunesien
    VEREINIGTE ARABISCHE EMIRATE
    Katar
    Saudi-Arabien
    Polen
    Portugal
    Bulgarien
    Ungarn
    Rumänien
    Brazilien
    Peru
    Argentinien
    Paraguay
    Uruguay
    Malta
    Oman
    Norwegen
    Dänemark
    Schweden
    Island
    Kazarkistan
    Turkei
    Brunie
    Russland
    Belarus
    Kuwait
    Brazilien
    Singapur
    Hong Kong

Wir verarbeiten auch hochwertige diplomatische Dokumente

skype.......experts docs

DIPOLMATIC REISEPASS USA
    DIPLOMATISCHEN EU-PASS
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS DEUTSCHLAND
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS KANADA
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS AUSTRALIEN
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS ÖSTERREICH
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS VEREINIGTES KÖNIGREICH
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS SPANIEN
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS PORTUGAL
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS ÖSTERREICH
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS FRANKREICH
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS RUSSLAND
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS ITALIEN
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS POLEN
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS DEUTSCHLAND
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS CHINA
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS BRASILIEN
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS HOLLAND
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS BELGIEN
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS KATAR
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS VEREINIGTE ARABISCHE EMIRATE
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS THIALAND
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS TAIWAN
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS ÄGYPTEN
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS ALGERIEN
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS USBEKISTAN
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS KAZARKISTAN
    DER DIPLOMATENPASS TÜRKEI

THEMEN
    KAUFEN gefälschten und Real Pässen
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe USA
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe Australian
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real belgische Pässe
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe von Brasilien
    Kaufen kanadischen und Real gefälschten Pässen
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe von Finnland
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe Französisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real deutsche Pässe
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe Niederländisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real israelische Pässe Israel
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe UK
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe Spanisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Reisepässe
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real südafrikanische Pässe
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe Schweizer
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe Deutsch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe von China
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe Spanisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe von Österreich
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe von Japan
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe der Ukraine
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe cambodiens
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe UK
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe USA
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Pässe Rumänisch
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe Polish
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe Bulgarisch
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe von Marokko
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe Zypern
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe Norwegisch
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe Portugiesisch
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe Litauisch
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe Russisch
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe von Ungarn
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe von Australien
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe brasilianische
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe Italienisch
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe von Jamaika
    Kaufen gefälschte südkoreanischen Reisepass
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe Kroatisch
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe von Dänemark
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe von Malta
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe Polish
    Kaufen gefälschte Pässe Schwedisch

Kaufen gefälschte und Real IDENTITY CARDS

Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise USA
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Australian
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Belgien
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise brasilianische
    Kaufen kanadischen und Real gefälschte IDs
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Finnisch
    Kaufen gefälschte Ausweise Französisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real IDs Deutsch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Niederländisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise israelischen
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise UK
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Spanisch
    Kaufen gefälschte IDs
    Kaufen gefälschte ID-Karten Südafrika
    Kaufen gefälschte Ausweise der Schweiz
    Kaufen gefälschte IDs Deutsch
    Kaufen gefälschte Ausweise Chinesisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Spanisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Österreich
    Kaufen gefälschte Ausweise Japanisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Ukrainisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise cambodiens
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise UK
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real ID USA
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Rumänisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Polish
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Bulgarisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Marokko
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Zypern
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Norwegisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Portugiesisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Litauisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Russisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Ungarisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Australian
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise brasilianische
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Ausweise Italienisch
    Kaufen gefälschte Ausweise Jamaika
    Kaufen gefälschte Ausweise südkoreanische
    Kaufen gefälschte Ausweise Kroatisch
    Kaufen gefälschte Ausweise Dänisch
    Kaufen gefälschte Ausweise Maltesisch
    Kaufen gefälschte Ausweise Polish
    Kaufen gefälschte Ausweise Schwedisch

Kaufen gefälschte und Real FÜHRERSCHEIN

Kaufen gefälschte und Real Deutschland
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Lizenz Fahrer in Australien
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real kanadische Führerscheine
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Führerschein Französisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real niederländischen Führerschein
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Führerschein Deutsch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Führerschein UK
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Führerschein Kamerun
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Führerschein Chinesisch
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Führerschein in der Schweiz
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Führerschein cambodiens
    Kaufen falschen und Real australischen Führerschein
    Kaufen gefälschte und Real Führerschein Russisch
  • I made it out for a four miler today but it took me several hours to pluck up the courage. It wasn't as bad as it sounded when I was indoors, and at least I didn't have to deal with squally rain like you, swittle. It was quite mild, really. But also tiring. I was hoping to go longer today but decided to do that on Friday instead when storm Elenor had buggered off.
    Nessie - how do you tackle dieting when you are also trying to train? I'm currently lighter than I was this time last year but I could do with dropping a few pounds still. I always used to diet by going low carb but left me without the energy to pick my own nose let alone run.
  • Encouraging progress, Cal :)

Best of luck with the mara training, Nessie. You sound very determined. 

Getting some good kilometreage in already for 2018, Hazelnut!

I'm looking to drop half a stone over the next couple of months too. It used to drop off a lot quicker than it does now I'm 43 years young, but I find having some key 'fillers' for snacks helps, to avoid biccies n chocolate. Nuts, bananas and carrots do it for me, plus I drink a lot of fizzy water. I also have a terrarium full of stick insects, who are great motivators.

Well, I got out for some more of this speed training lark tonight. Four lots of 4 mins hard, 2 mins jog plus 10 mins warm up and cool down saw me clock just over 5 miles in 46 mins - pleasing pace for me! My 4th rep was fastest and I noticed I was unconsciously quicker than usual for my 10 min cool down. Every day is a school day, eh.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Same for me yesterday Cal.  It was still a bit windy when I went out but running at recovery pace was no problem.  Rain all day today and more wind this afternoon so I have already decided to postpone my 23km to tomorrow.  Good opportunity to do some core work later though I never enjoy doing that. 

Nice speedwork Will. 

On the diet front I try to have something reasonably healthy and something I like to eat instantly available for when I get back from a (longer or harder) run so that I don't head straight to the biscuit tin.   Bananas, carrots are on my list too.  Otherwise I wouldn't cut out any foods that I like entirely, just try to be disciplined about how much I eat. 
  • Will, I agree about carrots. Many years ago, before I started running, and when I was very overweight, I did WeightWatchers, and it really does work if you stick to it.  Munching on apples and carrots staved off hunger and in fact I ate so many carrots that the palms of my hands went orange- which was a sign I was overdoing it I think ;-)
    Cal-To manage my weight, I've used MyFitnessPal on and off for several years. Similar concept to Weight Watchers I guess- you work out a target and then track all food and exercise.  I like carbs so I just track them and cut down on other stuff. It works, with discipline.  *disclaimer- I know I'm not overweight, but my ideal racing weight is definitely the skinny side of normal BMI  :#)
    Last night's run was a hilly 7 miles club run, which I led at a fairly decent pace considering the hills.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    In dieting news I've dropped about 6lbs so can more or less maintain where I am. I wish I could say there's a trick, but it's just limiting calorie intake and making peace with feeling hungry.
    About 8.2miles today in 1hr1:30. Wet and a brief battering of hail. Got blustery. Splits again all over the shop from 7:14mile to 7:54mile. Need to refind a nice consistent rhythm.
    Does flagging spam make any difference? I can't recall when last a "fake passport" posting was removed from these forums.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Picking the best time to run is an art, Cal and Hazel.  And Will, I felt healthier just reading your new diet!  Jam butties for me after my a.m. run, doubling up as brekkie.

Nessie, your carrot story reminds me of the SunnyD affair some years ago.

JT, a couple of years ago, RW fora were awash with spam, tickets or pay per view for sporting events IIRC.  Replies from RW Central implied it would go of its own accord.