Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Jelly, just don't get your newspaper cuttings from the Herald Express ;)  As you say, it'll be great to look back on for yourself but also kids/grandkids.  I was a fairly decent swimmer when I was much younger, and my Dad kept cuttings and trophies etc from that, from 25+ years ago.  There's not loads of it, but it was nice to see.  I didn't know he had until a couple of years ago, but it was all up in the loft.  Also some original Star Wars stuff, still in boxes (albeit some of the boxes were a bit ragged).  Probably worth a bit now, not that he (or I) have any intention of selling it. 

I do have a race diary with a few notes about the race, who was there, etc, and that somehow keeps the races in my mind to some degree.  Don't know if any of you have done this, but I have noticed that in a bad patch at some marathons, I find myself trying to remember the events I've done, in order.  I've never got to the end successfully, and I imagine that task will get more and more difficult if I do a few more, but it keeps the pain out of the forefront of my mind for a few minutes at least!
  • SK - Ouch to the fingers....mine get like that sometimes too, that's why I normally wear 2 pairs of gloves when it's cold!
    Ian - Nice mileage for December!
    Shades - Yeah, doesn't make them any easier. They are weekly now as it's HM training rather than marathon training, so more emphasis to move the LT pace I guess.

Very windy out today, stay safe! Managed to get a 10 miler done this morning, happy that I have no speedwork to do this week though!!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-It was the first day London could reply as I got an automated saying they are back on the 2nd so really impressed with the speed.
    I got a running lot book off the kids for Xmas so using runbritain to remember all my races and noting details of them all,never bothered at first as I didn't think I'd be doing as many as I have.
    Steve-I noticed the time on your run today,very impressive at that hour.
    Just popped out for a minute and got blown around,not running today unless it eases,way too windy and treacherous at the moment.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I've decided to not travel to Milton Keynes this weekend and cancelled the hotel.  Foxy has transferred me to a double weekend later in the year, and I've booked a refundable room for that weekend for a good rate, so I'm happy enough; I've not lost any money anyway.  It still feels a shame not to get the year off to a good start though as I feel like I'm playing catch up already, but it's the right decision!  Even a gentle walk and I feel light headed, so a double marathon weekend isn't sensible.  Depending on how I recover there's still a slight chance that three in Jan is possible, but I may have to be content with just one, presuming I recover in time for that.
  • SK, do you have Raynaud's?

It took me until 1pm to pluck up the courage to go out in Storm Elenor but it actually wasn't so bad. Windy, yes, but not knock you off your feet windy, and not cold. It certainly sounds worse when you're indoors. Still, I stuck to 4 miles easy. I was planning a bit of a longer run today but decided I'd do that one on Friday instead when conditions were a bit more favourable.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Still very windy up here,when it gusted it was pretty bad,my usual run along the front is an extension of the Mersey today.Went a more covered route but still tough,managed 12 miles before calling it a day,not as much as I was hoping but still 75 miles in the last 7 days.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭

That's a picture from the local paper of one of the routes I take when I come along the front,not a good idea today.
  • Definitely not! Yikes!

• Ian- just as well you didn't go past there wouldn't fancy getting caught in that.

7 miles for me tonight after work. Heavy rain for the entire run which was bearable only for a bus to drive through a puddle and soke me from head to toe, I was raging. 

Shades- this was my first run from your training plan so here's hoping I can stick to it.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Wow! That looks incredible! I had to can my run today as we've got a lot of wind and flooding. I took the dogs instead for a walk and was almost blown over a few times!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think I kept the first race number that also had my name on, but then I had quite a few races with my name on my number so have ditched them.   I have also kept my 10 in 10 number, we were given 2 numbers and we all wore the same one for the first 9 days, they ended up covered in tea/chocolate/ice cream and were in a sorry state by the end of day 9.  Then on day 10 we all put nice clean numbers on.

Re Trotter, maybe when he's done his 100th he'll focus on improving his PB if that's what he wants to do.   I didn't realise Wurzel hadn't run a marathon since his 100th, but I'd noticed that he was travelling long distances to do short races.

I haven't finished my race history yet (not sure what I do all day :D ) but I'd maybe like to top up my shorter races to have done 100 of each distance, but doing 100 ultras is a much more challenging target, especially as I don't do off road.

No, I've never tried to remember my races in order, if I had that sort of memory I'd be on Mastermind ;) 

I think you've made the right decision re this weekend's double, not worth the risk of a chest infection.

Ian - London marathon are very efficient and well organised, they always have been good about informing runners etc.

steven - I'm sure you can stick to the plan, alter it if necessary to fit in with your work schedule.   

I see we've been trolled :#:#:# 

Wet and a bit windy this morning but had a great run as it was 13 degrees, nice and mild.  
  • Steven - If you are motivated you will stick to it, after all you can move runs around to fit with your work/family schedule if you need to.
    Ian - Wow....definately a good idea to avoid that route today.
    Big G - I think that's the right decision, better to recover than risk making it worse.
    Cal - Nice 4 miles!

Very very wet here today, but not windy. 7 miles today, kept it easy, but was soaked through when I got home!!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades/Ian, let's see if RW Towers deal with that spam post as quickly as London Marathon dealt with Ian's query.....

Ian, looks bad conditions.  Although it was very windy here, the beaches were okay.  Often there's a lot of debris washed up in bad condition but it was fine yesterday from looking at pics.  It must have been the way the wind was blowing, as I'm on the opposite side of the country to you.

Yeah, it's the right decision.  I need to get myself better.  I'm still not right but chest appears okay still, although a slight wheeze.  I have an inhaler which I can use, so I'm using that.  If I'm not feeling much better early next week I'll go to the GP I think.  I'm resisting at the moment as I don't really want him to put me on antibiotics again.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - dry here now but blowing a hooley.   Just walking through town as I turned a corner my hair stood completely on end in the wind!   Got very wet when I was running this morning and I keep meaning to reproof my jackets but once I'm home in the dry I completely forget until the next time.

Big G - I don't think RW will notice that troll at all, I can't report it we no longer have that ability to contact RW since the forum changed.

Keep looking after yourself and hopefully you'll avoid that cold going any further.

Our Pilates teacher has flu, so substitute instructor today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, there is a "Flag" option on the post, and four have flagged it up as spam, but I don't know if anyone in RW Towers actually monitors that.  There used to be users of the forum that had admin privileges to remove spam, but I think that all changed - and the users long since gone - when the forum changed to its new platform.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I've just flagged it too. A lot stronger wind today. Tree has come down at Trago massive crash, poor co op lady if she had been a minute earlier would of had her. I've ran out of my box a few times as I have huge oak tree behind me. Forecast is for it to ease later so will run then. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I just went to flag it after reading your post and it's gone, thank you RW :) 

When we switched to the new forum some users had admin rights and they could see other forumites full data, I wasn't one of them though.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - that's scary, put a crash helmet on :o
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I'm sat the corner as I think it will be the strongest point. Lol 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - hope it eases soon, so do take care.    
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ah, maybe it got automatically deleted after 5 flags?  There were 4 + Jelly, and then when you checked it was gone.  I don't know though.

Take care Jelly!
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    I ran on the seafront this morning and got soaked on 3 occasions by huge waves, I took a different route on the way back!
  • Shades, Steve- yeah your right  regarding moving runs about to suit I've always had to do this as I only get 2 weekends off every 5 week rotation from work so usually my longer Sunday run will be done in midweek when working weekends. 

6 miles today in what was gladly mild weather.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Jugula - that must have been somewhat refreshing... :D  Don't get swept out to sea.

steven - can be difficult as if you do shifts you need to make sure you schedule the long runs in at a time when you're not too tired.

Turning colder down here, sharp wind when I was out for my run but still good conditions, at least for January.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone for keeping running and keeping safe in that weather. I've been out for another two short runs but chickened out of another one due to the storm. The wind was really strong and, the way my luck seems to be going at the moment, I just couldn't face the thought of ending up in A +E again because of a tree falling on me or something.

With regard to medals, that dutch one looks fab - luminous! wow! Mine are stuck around the neck of a metal purple bird on the wall in my bedroom - and a couple of favourites are around the list board in the kitchen. Over here they only give out medals for marathons. I have got one for the Cardiff half I did a few years ago but it is in a box somewhere as for me a half doesn't merit a medal. This isn't actually very logical as it would be much more of an effort for me to reduce my half time in line with my marathon time but there's something about all the training and mileage which goes into preparing for a marathon which makes it feel like such an achievement.
    As for virtual medals for virtual races.. sounds completely ridiculous.

Started sniffing round for this years marathon options  :)
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @Mamafox - I know what you mean about medals. I've got so many medals, i dont know what to do with them! If you want to do any Dutch races you'd be welcome to stay here :) Chez Emmy is just north of Breda but there are a few around here. 

I've had to be really careful with the storms as there's been a lot of storm damage and trees coming down. I went for a walk around one of my routes and there was a tree that had come down and it was impossible to pass.
  • I actually got a medal hanger last year (now full, but there are 3 years' worth on it) so I got a second one. Looking forward to getting my first medal of the year on there.

Anyway, woohoo, double figures! I got 10 miles done today, which is my longst run since September. I was a little concerned as Hot Inferno Pilates kicked my ass yesterday (almost literally - it's basically a legs, bums and tums class on steroids) but I got myself out there. The sun even came out after a while.
    Pacing wasn't too bad - I kept between 10:35 and 10:40 for 6 of the 10 miles - warm-up mile was 10:43 and a couple of the others were a bit quicker (well, mile 3 was 10:11, but it's downhill). Cadence was nice and consistent too - 170 for the first two miles and 172 thereafter.
    It was a bit muddy and there was a massive puddle on one of the paths that I just couldn't avoid so I got wet feet. Slightly concerning as it's on the parkrun route (which I am doing tomorrow but as tail walker) - hope it drains a bit overnight!

Nice epsom salt bath when I got home. I'm feeling pretty tired now, I admit. 10 miles seems a long way at the moment.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just a quick post from me,pretty rubbish weeks running again,will end on 33 by the looks of it with 4 days of no running now,just so busy in work I haven't the time,need to remember not to book a January marathon again,time to reset goals for GC.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - re the medals, that's why I ended up putting them on my hall walls without the ribbons, take up a lot less room.   I have a couple of special ones that I've left the ribbons on though.

Cal - you're quickly getting those longer runs in, should be fine for your marathon training.

Ian - right, deep breath and no more stressing about any missed runs before GC.   Your training is done, and your biggest challenge now is to stay virus free and not pick up a cold.   There's no need to reset your goals for GC, many runners would be deliberately tapering with a 30ish mpw this week, it's not your choice but it's what it is.   

Very frosty here, waiting for a bit more light before I go out for my run.   Think it might be a bit icy in places so need to be able to see where I'm going.  

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Very icy out there, I had to walk a lot of the first mile as the pavements are treacherous but I headed to a quiet rural village which I know has a rough road surface and once I got on that road it was fine, just a few icy patches.   Return run I was hoping that some of the ice would have cleared but it hadn't so walked most of the last mile too.   I'd have waited until later if I'd known how bad it was.   But it's good that it's done o:)