Thankful I can Run

Hi
I've suffered from depression and social anxieties for all my adult life and have recently been going through a particularily emotionally rough time. On a few occasions I've found myself close to or crying my eyes out whilst during or after a run. I hadn't realised running can lead to such an emotional release.  

I'm a man in my forties and admit I have bottled up emotional problems for too long. I've not really talked to anyone about it let alone seeked help but I worry I won't be able to cope in the next 10 or 20 years. In my work life I'm in a reasonably decent profession (charted civil engineer) and colleagues think I'm a normal person except for being a little reserved and shy. In reality I'm socially withdrawn and isolated but don't do illegal drugs or alcohol.

Running is the only thing keeping me sane and preventing a breakdown.

Regards

Comments

• Hello K. Having depression and social anxiety doesn't mean that you're not normal - and running is used by many as a way of managing their mental health. If you feel that you need more help with this though you'll have to ask for it. In many areas you can self refer for CBT or counselling or you could start with your GP.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • K - I salute your courage in making your post, it is so easy to bottle it all up. Very wise words too LMH.  So many people suffer in silence and I see it with the males in my family. My brother (40 years old too, married, employed) suffers and now runs for enjoyment and as a remedy. Do speak about your condition/ feelings, it will help matters. All the best.       
  • Don't stop running!

We all have our coping mechanisms, running is a more healthy mechanism than many others.
    I salute your honesty.
  • I think running will hopefully open things for you! Keep going you are doing great