My Last Run

Comments

• Yes, JT, Hazelnut and Nessie, unfortunately simply eating less and having a rumbling belly is the most reliable method. I do like Swittle's jam butty approach though - I've heard that is the new thing in Hollywood.

Not as windy as the sound effects suggested last evening in Norwich. I put in a solid 10K in 58 mins to polish off my race prep for Sunday. My mum got me a delightful fluoro pink/peach headband/ear muff number for Christmas, which I've enjoyed wearing lately. Keeps you cosy but let's the heat out of the top. Nice.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Haha!  Will, I've never knowingly been 'ahead of the curve' in anything, except perhaps my tum!  Loving your sartorial & practical approach to winter!  All set for Sunday, Will.  Best of fortune!
  • I had a chuckle at your stick insect comment, Will. Pink and peach, though...sounds masculine! :lol:

Nessie - I am a Fatty McFatterson by running standards. I'm 5'7 and I've done most of my racing north of 10 st 7 (I actually got my HM PB at close to 11 stone). I'm currently below 10 st 7 (I got down to around 10-3 but then Christmas happened) but I'm curious to know if getting down to, say, 9-7 would make me much faster. I just haven't weighed that little since my late 20s, so I'm not sure my body would give up its fat bounty so easily.
    Not that it'd make much difference right now since I'm still rebuilding after the hip problem, and I'm a long way off where I was a year ago.

Anyway, the good news is I got into double figures for the first time since September - 10 miles. Averaged 10:32 pace. Bits and pieces felt OK but it was pretty tiring. 10 miles seems a long way right now. I think I'll need a nap this afternoon!
  • Hardly a teletubbie Cal but I know what you mean about a lot of fast runners- like Will's stick insects :-) Great running from you!
    Am also liking swittle's approach to fuelling.
    Will, hope the race goes well!
    JT, my pace is considerably slower than yours but I also had the same problem with pacing today on my long run. Did 14 miles with splits that varied from 8.3 to 9.5mm  :#  Nice run, mind, taking in the River Lee and Walthamstow Wetlands.
  • Yep - i grinned at the colours too Cal..   Can we have a piccie Will?  And I also like the idea of the stick insects.  Must be fun finding them all. 

Cal - good news on the 10 miles.  Sounds promising but don't push too hard too soon. 

I'll join you on the pacing troubles Nessie and JT - I also did 14 earlier with a similar range of paces.  Had to hold myself back on the initial flatter part of the route and then struggled a bit on the later inclines.  Hmm - maybe I should do it the other way round..  Weather much better - almost dry, just a bit of wind and a balmy 10 degrees.   I hope its similar in the UK - must have been tough for our streakmaster the last few days.  Stuck to a mostly tarmac route as everything else is a swamp at the moment.  Had to tiptoe around a number of fallen trees - large ones - and hurdle a few branches.  

Wolfed down a post-run carrot (amongst other things - most of them not too unhealthy) but have now got out the chocolate....  :p

Good luck for Sunday Will
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    In sartorial news I nearly bought a yellow running tee today. It's good to be comfortable with your masculinity...
    Anyway 14.35miles on/offroad today. I took a protracted route home because it popped into my head that Ness had run 14miles so I wanted to match it. Very muddy in places. Had to wade a short stretch of path flooded by a beck. Didn't realise it was going to reach my knees. There were ducks looking at me thinking, "daft bastard". Did a few little sprints for no discernible reason. Just over 1hr51.
  • Yellow is a nice happy colour JT.  Nice miles and speed. 

8km recovery for me today.  Saw 2 deer but not much else as it was getting dark.  Have replaced the headband on my headtorch - much better as it doesn't jump up and down any more whilst I run.  New headband cost about a tenth of the torch itself.  Hope that the latter doesn't go pfft next week then. 
  • Yellow's a good colour, JT - I wear it a lot! Also nicely unisex, I reckon.
    I have to go to Richmond Park if I want to see deer, Hazelnut. But at least we do have some in London.
    No run today, but I did tailwalk at parkrun. Crazy amount of people there today - over 800! Unfortunatley Tooting's just not cut out for those kind of numbers - the paths are too narrow - so there was quite the jam at the start. Not so bad if you're walking, as I was, but frustrating for the mid-pack runners.
  • 7 miles today - turned into a bit of a progression run as I sped up to get out of the icy wind! Lots of runners out today - some resolutions, some clearly training for marathons. More than a few were in shorts, the lunatics!
  • Andrea Dawson 2Andrea Dawson 2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Happy New a year to you all!

I've been awol due to a manic Christmas- did lots of running though, and even a few in the snow and two parkruns on New Years Day.

I managed my quickest parkrun since July - 23:36.

My main aim this year is to run 1000 miles. It's been my goal for the last two years but I ended both around the 780 mark.

7 miles easy pace this morning.

Oh and on the subject of weight, I'm on the curvy side too. 5 ft 4 and 10 stone, give or take a few pounds. I started running regularly in 2013 and I although I haven't lost weight I've dropped a dress size from 12- 10 and can even get in a few size 8's.

i just love my food too much and hate feeling hungry.

• Nice parkrun time, Andrea and good running all. Yellow is a good Norwich colour, JT and is poignant as Colman's have very few days left in the fine city before the factory gets closed down after 160+ years.

Lovely sunny morning for the King's Forest 10K today. Rather nippy but it I felt I ran a decent race. Thought I had gone quicker than 56:35 but the trails were icy in a lot of parts and very soft in the sunny bits, so I suppose that slowed it down. You had to be on the ball with foot placings. I finished 64/187 and had a nifty sprint finish in me to pass 3 runners on the final straight (all of whom were in the under 35 age cats!) Tripped on a huge pile of horse cack at one point and enjoyed a honking Egyptian Goose sitting comically in the top of a pine tree. All done looking extremely manly in my headband.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • 19 years ago. When I get to 10 posts, I’ll start a thread asking slipped disc advice  :D
  • Nice parkrun time, Andrea. Good to hear I'm not the only chunky monkey. I wouldn't call myself fat - not by a long shot - (and I daresay you aren't either) but at times I feel like a rhino amidst a pack of gazelles. :lol:
    Will - doesn't look bad. Interestingly the Victorians thought pink was a better colour for boys as it was bright, and blue for girls. Somewhere along the line this was swapped around. I maintain that we should wear the colours that make us happy.
    Well done on your 10K. That's a good time for the conditions (horse cack notwithstanding). I have a fondness for Egyptian Geese - there's a pair on Tooting Common but until last year they never managed to raise any young due to a pair of highly aggressive swans (aka murdering bastards) on the same pond. But last year they got two to adulthood from their first clutch and then managed to raise another solitary baby later in the year.
    No running today but I'm off for a massage (and then yoga).
  • :D thanks for the pic Will.  Had a much needed Monday morning giggle when I opened up the thread (should be working actually)..  Looks good to me.  Well done on your 10k, the changing conditions are what make trail running so much fun.  Nice sprinting at the finish.  Just missing the top third is a good result.

Good way to start the year with a fast parkrun time Andrea. 

13km yesterday for me with 10x100m strides with 200m recoveries between each effort  Did the strides towards the end of the session rather than in the middle - didn't seem to make a big difference.  I like doing them.  Fairly even effort and tired but not whacked afterwards.  Rest day today - might do some core work later though then 3 days running in a row including a 10 miler and a 14 miler.  Coping well so far with the higher mileage on P&D.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Great effort, Andrea.  

Will, I was sorry to hear that Colman's was all but closing down in Norwich.  Your race could be for its demise.

8pm yesterday: 9.3-mile darkrun in fresh, cold conditions.  Unsurprisingly, I had the whole 2.5 miles of Crosby & Waterloo beaches to myself, my head torch catching the occasional Iron Man unawares and vice versa.  Close to the old radar tower, another head torch beamed out - it may have belonged to a sea angler.

7am today, 3 ,iles recovery, coastal park - real 'In the deep midwinter' stuff: 'earth hard as iron, water like a stone.'

• First post :)

Yesterday, 9.30 am. 9.7 miles around South Liverpool at 8:45 min/mile.

Longest run to date (improved from 7 miles pre-Christmas).

No running today (climbing later). Have joined a running club so next run will be Tuesday efforts (no!)
  • Evocative sounding run swit :-)
    And nice racing Will, good weight loss JT.. I too have lost a few pounds
    Hazel, getting pretty hardcore already
    Me- it was an absolutely vile hill reps club session on Saturday morning , made worse my a) my being the only woman, b) legs still heavy from the long run the previous morning, and b) the blokes there are all super duper fast greyhounds. I ended up doing the shorter route with the kids' group as I was so slow, even if set off a minute before the greyhounds, they lap me within seconds...  But hey, this is the stuff that makes me faster right?;-)
    It was cycle / swim, then this morning's 5.30 am was another speed session, 5 x 1k reps with one other sole nutter. Quite unpleasant but not as bad as Saturday's session and the warm down run was nice
  • Some tough sessions there Nessie!

rest day today but yesterday was 3 miles. I mixed up the pace.
  • I have yet to attempt a club hill session. It's possible I may in the summer, when it's still light in the evenings.
    I ran another 10 miler today and was happy with it. My hip is still a little tender to the touch (though that could have been exacerbated by the massage I got yesterday) but I am not feeling it when I run. I started slower than Friday's run but finished faster and feeling less tired, so I seem to be getting back into it.
  • Perfect description, Swittle. A Grey and bleak day here in Norfolk today.

Hello Xbradders :)

Kudos, Nessie. Sounds like you're touching it out. I'm sure the rewards will come. Nice pace work Hazel and Andrea and great to hear that your recovery continues apace, Cal. Keep up the good work all.
    A 4 mile recovery trot yesterday and feeling a little sore today, so just a bit of a walk, looking for a 9cm rare Hume's Warbler - which hid too well for my skills.

I run, therefore I am.
  • *touching it out!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Bloody autospell! Toughing it out :) 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • I've seen worse autocorrect fails, Will. :lol:
  • dprovandprovan ✭✭✭

Back at the running after a long lay off. Have upped my running from around 8-12 miles per week to 20 miles last week. Loving the fact that I have moved out of that place where every mile felt like torture to now having longer spells of the run feeling enjoyable. Did 5 miles tonight in just over 10 min miles with 70-75% heart rate. Off out to 5 aside soon, I think ill do nets!

• Welcome to dprovan and xbraddersx - nice progress.

Nice hill and speed work Nessie.

Good work on the 10 miles Cal.

Nice coastal running as always swittle. 

Some core work for me on Monday and a 10 miler yesterday evening - around 6km flat on my own then joined by one another from my Tuesday group (hey come out of winter hibernation everyone) for the hilly remaining kms done at a sensible pace as my companion hadn't been out training much over the Christmas break and wanted to talk the whole way round. 
    Tired today but will be out for a 6km recovery later.  Currently ticking off the boxes and weeks one by one rather than looking too far ahead and worrying about those 20 milers to come.
  • Thanks everyone !

Cal - my hip has been stiff and sore recently, though I too do not feel it so much running. Normally the morning after. Do you have any specific stretches you could recommend? I'm not particularly flexible.

dprovan - good work on the 20 miles per week!

Hazelnut - well done on some core work! I often find myself neglecting that.

Tuesday club efforts were difficult:1 mile warm up, then 0.3 miles or so at faster pace (6:30 min/mile), 0.3 miles recovery (10 min/mile) - repeat x 7! 1 mile run home felt so hard and it was uphill!

Absolutely exhausted today, no running. Climbing in the evening.
  • Bradders, I do yoga so I'm doing a lot of lunge-type stretches and (depending on the type of yoga) hip openers. I don't have the most mobile hips in the world but they're not too bad (my problem seems to be lazy glutes). I found a good site with a sequence of stretches you can have a go at. https://gmb.io/hip-mobility/

Hazelnut - good attitude. Not looking forward to the 20s either, though not even sure I can fit many in. It's only 13 weeks until Manchester I've also two half marathons and a taper to fit in between now and then. Eek!

I did 6 miles easy today. This is the first consecutive run I've done (I've been running every other day until today). I definitely felt a few grumbles and had to get busy with the roller and balls once I got home. 

• xbraddersx - I'm not so keen on the core work myself but at 43 I should be doing something to maintain overall strength anyway.  I like the idea of climbing as a cross training exercice - are you indoor then?  probably at this time of year I guess.  Had a couple of goes myself primarily top-roping but I'm not too keen on the responsibility of belaying other people.  I also once forgot to drop the rope on a fall whilst lead climbing and trying to clip the rope - nice rope burns.  Better than stuffing it between your teeth like some people do and then falling and not letting go though (ouch).  But enough of that rope-related stuff.   Nice club session btw.

Will have a look at those exercices myself Cal - a bit of variation won't do any harm.  Rest day tomorrow to look after the grumbles?  The last few plans I did had only 1 20 miler in it, I think this one has two or 3.  I find them as tough mentally as physically.  I generally do the long runs on my own.  In a marathon itself you at least have people suffering around you.

6km recovery this lunchtime in 36:22.  Multi-tasking trip including shopping gave me access to a nice flat and easy off-road route.  Just what I needed.   
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    About 4miles on the gym treadmill Monday. It was pretty icy out. Not so today. 17.45miles (bits offroad) in just over 2hrs16. A bit bored but not tiring. Had headphones on to keep me entertained. Saw some really big bunnies at the Uni campus and what Google tells me is a male bullfinch. Starting to feel some benefit from getting lean again. Feel sharper, better endurance and less sleepy. On the downside I start to look a bit PoW at low weight.
    The neighbour's cat is in a funny mood. He's called Foss, which is warping into Mr Foster, and Oh Mister Foster! (in the style of Hattie Jacques).
  • 4 miles for me today.

Question for you all. When you do your long runs what do you listen to? Sometimes I get bored of listening to music and then I end up cutting my run short. Any recommendations?