Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    John Pertwee indeed !!   :)
    back to running - better outing today - 7 miles inc 5 x 800m with my friend.  First session of this type for months, so took very circumspectly (my pal was well ahead on the reps), but felt good to be actually "working", rather than plodding, and best of all, as I type (couple of hours after the session), no hamstring reaction. (Very) cautiously optimistic.  My aim is to log a few 40 mile weeks, then reassess, so 33 this week, with the weekend to come.  Have a good weekend yourselves !!   
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'm sure you will, and ahead of me for sure! Should be a tidy group for Chandos this year :) 

Chandos

• Sorry, Birch, I didn't mean to cause any offence :)  I'd better stick to running comments... Promising rep session!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    I need to visit this Chandos place one day!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    certainly none taken, Gul :)  :)    -   
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Pride comes before a fall - almost literally. Slipped and turned ankle really badly 8.5M into my run. Limped home. Have one fat, sore cankle. Arse.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Shuffles over and pats bench for Jools.  Gives sympathetic hug. 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Jools - I'm sure you are well versed but for the sake of sharing this is an outstanding demonstration of how to effectively rehab that ankle with steps to develop the rehab and then continue when strong again. The slippery surfaces have a lot to answer for at the moment but neuromuscular/proprioception type rehab is the best way to counteract this. For now, compress like there's no tomorrow, and ice regularly while keeping the ankle elevated as much as possible for a few days. https://theprehabguys.com/ankle-sprain-prehab/#.WlB5YiOcbow
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Thanks, MsE. Will start the easier stuff in the next few days, but flexion is very painful AT so just have it strapped and MrJ has purchased me some peas.
  • Kewri - welcome to the thread. Loads of good stuff on here, so stick around. Any backgorund info on your running experience? You said that London will be your third marathon - how were the other two?

Birch - definitely the love child of Monty Don and Jon Pertwee!!!

Gul, MsE - hoping to make stretching more of a regular thing, together with some good quality core work. Any recommendations for online yoga greatfully received.

GM - good posing there with the rest of the XC squad. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Jools - hope you're back up to full strength soon.

G-Dawg - are you going to watch Woking today? They're up against the mighty Stones (my team!) so I'm tempted to go along while MrsL goes to Guildford - unfortunately I can't tempt her to come along as well!

Moderately satisfying running week (Week 1 of my London plan which will be a flexible approach based on P&D) - 6.5 easy yesterday including some lovely muddy stretches followed by 15 miles on the Box Hill loop this morning. Brings up 41 for the week as I'm aiming to have a non-running day tomorrow.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    15 miles of swamp running this morning, really had to grind it out at times but as ever it was good fun and nice to get a decent distance under my belt in week 1.

Got a nice surprise message from Lorenzo and we met at the mighty Woking FC where Woking and Maidstone threw the defensive text book out of the window for us to witness a 4-4 thriller.

Thanks for coming along, Sir, really enjoyed the game and catching up.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Liking the look of Chandos*

We get a lot of dark days on the west side on the Pennines. I now realise the sun is being blocked out by some old geezer with big hair over Sheffield way ?

Welcome Kewri 

GM I thought you would be the fella in the mod parka with the furry hood.

Joolska sorry to hear that, what a shame.

7m today, so windy on the coast, but saw a flock of curlew and some partridge which is a treat.

(*Lorenzo’s round)

• Poacher - I'm saying nothing, espeically as it's likely to be a big round by the time I get there!

G-Dawg - great to catch up earlier and glad it ended with honours even. Is this an omen for the future smackdowns?
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Oh my............ that was an experience I will never forget. The going was soft! We (men's team) just missed out on the podium and came 4th. Lots of quality runners there today and the course was well cut up by the time we ran, 11 races before we set off. It was a total mud bath. The juniors acquitted themselves well and picked up a few medals. I managed to not fall over, which was an achievement in itself. Finished 93/186, so smack bang in the middle. Our No.1 runner came 4th overall and was only behind an Olympian and two other GB runners, so he had a good run. My overall feeling is that I'm definitely better suited to the road but it was a worthwhile experience and a real reminder that it's good to step out of the comfort zone and the team bonding vibe was great, very nice to spend time with people that you normally just nod to or wave to on the road. The mud sticks us together for sure! Pre race team snap and post race pic of me. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Poacher - The guy in the parka is our No.1 guy and only 23 ( he's run 1:51 for 800 and 3:45 for 1,500), so defo not me. :smile: I came straight from work, so was suited but not booted per se. It was very much a last minute thing. 
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Lots of time left Jools . Sorry to hear your mishap. 

You can be happy to have hair Birch. Some of us don't. 

Good result GM. How does it work with competing in the Hampshire league- do you fly over there for the day? 

42km covered today, but on the bike. Mostly dirt roads - very lekker. Running wise 6km on Friday night at what passes for tempo pace at the moment. Other than that, strength exercises going on to get this hip better (which is the protocol I follow MsE thanks for asking) 

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    4-4 eh? Must have been a classic 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well done with the XC, Gerard - and great pics !  

good luck with your hip issues, BikeIt , to MsE gang (must be a large bench required in your house), and hope the peas doing the business for Jools  . . .   

week one of the year concluded with a rest day - leaving me a mile behind Lorenzo, with a nice round 40 in the book.    
  • Too much to catch up on. I flew out last Tuesday to New York for meetings on Wednesday and Thursday and was supposed to fly back Friday but for some odd reason as soon as a foot of  snow falls, the wind picks up to 40 mph and the temperature plummets to -16°C the Americans cannot cope with it so only got back this morning 60 hours later than planned. With the 2 planned days forecast as cold, I decided to take gym clothes and do a treadmill session but the enforced extra stay meant 4 sessions: mind-numbingly boring! Still, 40 miles for the week and still on target for 2,018 in 2018!
  • Jools - oh no! Hope it heals quickly.
    Lorenzo - hope you enjoyed your non-running day.
    GM - great effort with the XC and nice photo.
    Bike It - keep plugging away with those strength exercises.
    Birch - good first week of the year.
    PMJ - good forward thinking even if it did mean the dreadmill.
    Still on zero for the year. I started coughing again at the weekend, so stayed indoors this morning and did 30 mins of exciting core strength work. I now remember why I've never managed to stick at it for more than a few days before. Maybe if it's combined with an easy run it might be more bearable.

• Morning all.

Sorry to be a moron, just confused by the different marathon time forum threads here - is this for people who have achieved a sub 3:15 and looking to improve; or for those targeting a sub 3:15?

I got 3:12 in a (hot) Paris last year and pushing for a new PB or even a sub 3 at London in April if some sort of miracle happens. So looking for people in the same boat for some training advice and support!

Cheers
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    nicko: both.  Some of us have achieved sub 3 (and beyond), some are still aiming for sub 3.15.
  • Thanks @Joolska ; well I guess this is a good place for me then! I'll introduce myself via running history as there's nothing more interesting :wink:

Started in Late 2013 to lose some weight (was almost 100kg and couldn't run to the end of the road); picked up the miles and lost most of the excess weight within about 3 months (stilll a bit chunky).

Got a last minute charity place for VMLM 2014 in mid January and managed that in 3:52.

Running mostly took a back seat until the next January when I got a charity place again for London '15; missed some training and injured my leg skiing so was very dubious of a PB but surprised myself with a 3:35.

Year off in 2016 - got my half time down to 1:35.

2017 - got London ballot place and also entered Paris; missed some training with some little injuries but worked my ass off in the late training I did - aiming for a 3:20 at best; ended up 3:12 in Paris. London 2 weeks later didn't go as well - foolishly aiming for a 3:10; ran 3:05 pace until mile 16 when I had to walk/run the final 10 to come in at 3:20.

So - now targeting London again this year; ultimate goal is sub 3; though BQ would be acceptable. I'm lighter than I've ever been at the start of training but not at the fitness I was last April and still having some achilles issues.

I always seem to perform at a much higher level on race day than in training; running at a pace I hardly touch upon in training runs.

Question is - I'm choosing between the RW sub 3:00 plan (16 weeks, 6 days a week) and the Bridger Ridge Run "just enough" plan which is just 3 very high quality runs over 14 weeks. (I am doing 2 weeks of a hybrid 5 days a week program to get going)

Has anyone had any success with the latter - I'm thinking it may be better to allow me recovery time for the achilles etc.

Any other advice on trying to get down towards 3 would be great; apologies for the long rambling post.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    nicko, thanks for asking that question as I've been reading this and the sub 3 thread working out where I might best wade in!! I was getting the impression the sub 3 thread was a little too advanced for me.

Hi all, I don't normally venture from the general training forums but wanted somewhere for focused Mara chat as I'm running London in April.  It will be my 5th marathon and 4th London in 5 years. My times have gone like this-

2014- 3.18
    2016- 3.08
    2017- 3.04

I did the Birmingham Mara in October as a sub 3 attempt but it all went wrong and was a tough course. I came in 3.07. I'm convinced I was in sub 3 shape having run a 1.23 half mid September. 

At least being 42 the GFA requirements upon me are kinder!

Annoyingly I raced a 10 miler on New year's eve and have
    picked up my first injury in 3 years. Having plodded out 30 miles last week, I'm taking a rest and getting some physio. hopefully it'll be a short lived injury. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hi there, Nicko, DT 

in brief - Nicko - I'd say any plan with 6 runs beats any with 3 runs, if you want to get anywhere near your potential. 
                   DT - if you ran a 1:23 half a few weeks prior, then you are definitely in sub-3 shape, provided you've trained for the distance 

Gul - hope you're back on the road soon - that other stuff is sooo boring, I agree !!  

still in the foothills of the lower slopes of the mountain of getting anywhere near respectability here, but 8.5 this morn with my pal, including 2 x half mile, 1 x mile, 2 x half mile. All very "Slo-git" (not my pal - she's going well), but nonetheless encouraging - and hamstring still seems to be holding up . . . .   
  • DT19, I'd echo Birch, 1:23 is a good indicator of sun-3 if you have done the marathon training. You may also need to look at timing: a raced half in September may be too close to a full in October.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Good news: I can walk in a straight line without any significant pain.  Bad news: definitely can't toe off without pain, stairs are awkward and cannot change direction easily.  But better than I feared when I sprained my ankle on Friday!  
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Welcome newbies- you are always welcome and both looking well inside 3:15. As Jools says we are a mix in terms of mara times. Many of those who have gone sub-3 joined en route which tells you a lot. Sorry I can't answer the plan Q.

Terrible news Jools- let see how bad it is but at least you are walking. Junior also has a foot stress fracture and will be out for 2 months.

Wondered where you were PMJ- I suppose there are worse places to be stranded, just a shame you lost your weekend.

Great photo GM- did I mention I hate XC ;)

I hit 52 miles last week with 17 on Sunday, but at a ridiculously slow 9 min average. Also had a hilarious parkrun in gale force winds on Saturday. A humble 20:06 but still managed 4th place. I also picked up a place for the York Brass Monkey Half next Sunday though I might have to run as an imposter, and sacrifice a shot at V55 glory. 

• @Birch totally agree that a plan with more days therefore more time on the feet is the ideal - just wondering if anyone here had success with a plan similar to the 3 day one here:

https://bridgerridgerun.wordpress.com/2015/03/30/how-to-run-a-3-hour-marathon-a-just-enough-training-approach/

Seems on that post a lot of people with success; it's not a load of miles but a lot at under target pace. I may end up doing a hybrid of both plans; just in that period of massive uncertainty right now!