Tired/can't find any motivation to run lately

Hi there,

Am a keen and experienced runner with well over 100 runs under my belt since I started running seriously around January/Febuary time. But lately, especially after having a week of from running due to bad weather conditions (heavy snow and ice), I have only done two runs since and I can't do over 2KM. I usually do it first thing in the morning but today I did a run at 12 aiming for 3K but did 1.3. I'm sick to death of running in my area because it is quite limited and is quite hilly. I'm going to try doing a run first thing tommorow, was aiming for a 6K, maybe a 4K depending on how I'm feeling. Any ideas, I feel tempted to maybe wait for Christmas to blow over and start up again in the new year.

Alex

Comments

• The longer you leave it the harder it will get. Can you drive or bus somewhere to have a different run or even run one of your regular routes in the opposite direction? joining a club or arranging to meet friends for a run may also help.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • > @Little M.iss Happy said:
    > The longer you leave it the harder it will get. Can you drive or bus somewhere to have a different run or even run one of your regular routes in the opposite direction? joining a club or arranging to meet friends for a run may also help.

I know, but sometimes I think maybe my body needs a rest. Like I said its only my 2nd run since my day off and I usually go in the morning. I prefer to go early in the morning and where I live the buses are so infrequent that many run every 2 hours on a sunday..:-/ lot of places near me don't have paved roads or involve crossing major roundabouts so yeah :-/
  • parkrun is your friend, even if you don't run you can volunteer.  Have a look to see if the closest one to you has a Facebook page and see if you can link up with someone.  Everyone loses their running mojo at some point and you would probably benefit from running with a running buddy.   Even if you usually run on your own an occasional run with a buddy that has different routes and that can help you get back into it. Good luck & happy running
  • I find setting targets for myself can help. Running a 5km aiming for a particular pace, or just making a greater distance. My running watch is my friend :smile:

Let us know how you get on. It is always harder after Christmas and my knees feel really old starting up again!
  • kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
    Try running different routes. I only just started doing bits of running late last year wasn’t expecting to keep at it or manage to run longer. I go to a brain injury group and was just making conversation with man who set group up telling him the woman he works with was encouraging me to do bits of running. He offered to give me personal training to help me which I accepted. Since then I’ve really pushed myself running up to 2km in one go and doing a 5km run which I did in 50 minutes which is around the speed I aim for when running and I did walk some of the 5k. 

Next is 10k in April which I’m hoping to run all of. Got more time to train so going to ask my PT to take me on the 10k route and I’m going to plan when to run and walk as there is no way I could have done another 5k after the 5k last month so I’m thinking run all I can then walk slower to have a rest then back running. On the 5k I was wanting to get best time I could so even the walking wasn’t really a rest.
  • Have you tried at looking at some motivational stuff on Youtube? I look at this stuff every night before I go to sleep. Hope this helps...
  • Some good advice here. Another thought is you may be suffering from SAD, or at least a touch of it due to the cold, grey weather and short days. Have you tried taking Vitamin D?
  • I always get moment like this but try think of some positives for the running