working at it slowly

Comments

• DL - sorry to hear about XFC - do you think it is the stress of xmas and the lack of her blood family that set her off?  Hope the air can be cleared as you have done so much for her and I am sure she knows and appreciates it
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Morning all

((((Westie and family)))) hope the situation is improving

Thanks for all the good wishes with XFC. These things are inevitable and all part of the process of growing up and apart. It's just the manner in which they happen and the timing that causes the real angst. All teenagers are self centred, those with attachment issues  verge on the sociopathic at times! She is coming round for tea tonight so bridges are being built. 

Have done 2 runs so far this year - so nearly up to last year's total! Have also done a couple of walks. Going to try yoga at the weekend - need to try and be a bit bendier. Anyone would think I'm trying to get fit again!?

Last day off work today. May go wandering around a town trying to shop - I'm not very good at it but feel I should. Have done all the outwardy boundy stuff I can manage!

Happy Friday - hope the weekend brings you something sparkly (I'm thinking along the lines of wine but you may be more of the diamond hoper, or possibly you're very good and just want the water?)

• morning all

DL I'm trying yoga too - doing Adriene's daily video's! you get an email each day. trouble is there's no chance of me fitting in 1/2hour each day during the week so it will probably just be at weekends. I am shockingly bad! some stuff I can't do because of my frozen shoulder but I think the attempt is helping, I used to be reasonably supple but now I'm terrible so it seems a good time to do something about it

still streaking too :)

• I have held off posting any updates on the wee boy as the situation has been very upsetting.
    A few days a go they took him of the "coma" meds and the results were very bad. He remained in a deep coma and more scans and nerve tests were carried out. The meningitis had critically damaged his brain so that no signals were been sent and all life support was done by machine. As there is no chance of any recovery he is being taken of the support today we are all devastated .
  • oh westie I am so sorry - I really have no words to offer. Thoughts are with all your family
  • Oh that is just awful Westie - thinking of you and your family xxx

• Oh Westie :( How unutterably dreadful. Can't even imagine what you all must be going through. Lots of love to you all xxxx
  • Hello all
    It has been a long long long time since I last came on this site so I'm not sure who remembers me but the names I've spotted are familiar

I'm sorry to have walked in on such devastating news Westie, my thoughts are with you and your family

xx
  • What awful news (((Westie))))
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Westie, I am so sorry to hear your sad news. I know that nothing I say can take away your hurt but you are in my heart xx
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    So sorry Westie - words just cannot express. May you and your family find the strength you need over the next days, weeks, months....
  • oh Westie I am so very sorry - I just can't imagine. Lots of love to you and all the family you are very much in my thoughts xxx
  • welcome back Flibbs it's lovely to see you - are you going to get running again?
  • I'm going to try and do some running although i think long distances are out now, just trying to rebuild my fitness first!
  • back to send more hugs to Westie and family ((((((((()))))))))
  • good plan Flibbs I know you suffered with injuries before so just being able do a few 5k runs would be fab :)
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    I think it is easy to look around this site, see that some people are running huge distances and feel that there is no merit in shorter runs. I don't think that is true at all though - some people are more suited to the long distances, some the short and both have equal 'merit'. 
  • Welcome back Flibs! :) Short runs are indeed a good thing! 

I've entered my series of (short) trail races, and been inspired by a friend who's just finished the couch to 5k (running for the first time in her life) and in week 8 is running under 10 min miles - faster than I've ever even done in a race. Aarrgghh!  

It's unleashed my inner competitive spirit, so I've just done 2 miles on the treadmill, increasing the speed a notch each minute until (finally, huffing and puffing and sweaty) I reached just under 10 min miles by the very end, running what felt like flat out. 

Felt quite good to be going a bit faster - going to try and do that once a week til the first race and see how I get on :) Probably still come last, I think there are only 60 people entered in the short one... But I'm hoping I'll get lost in the 200+ who are running the long one at the same time... 

((((((((((((((((((((((((((more hugs for the westie family xxxx)))))))))))))))))))
  • ((((((((((((((((Westie Family)))))))) thinking of you all - lots of love

Daffs that is a great plan - my top tips are: run at least 3 times a week, only go fast on one run :) (I'm quite happy plodding along on all my runs though)

Sluggy - I totally agree! running is not all about getting loads of miles in, its whatever makes you feel fitter and gives you a mental boost :) 

• DLDL ✭✭✭
    Morning

((((Westie and family))))

Flibberty - 2018 is all about running short and slow. Well it is for me! Just running is an achievement. Welcome back.

Good luck with your new competitive spirit Daffs - if you get bored of it send it my way.

I have a day of 'online training' ahead of me - health and safety, fire safety all the really exciting stuff - yawn. Can anyone remember what the different colour extinguishers are for???????

Hope today brings you something pleasant and possibly, unexpectedly exciting
  • I feel your pain DL, I have spent this week on my annual update - fire safety, food hygiene, safeguarding, death by powerpoint etc etc!
    Have managed to fit in two gym sessions and going to hiit tonight.
    Going to try a dreadmill run tomorrow in my lunch hour an see how that goes.

• Westie,  I am so sorry to walk in to such news,  you and your family must be devastated.   Time wont heal too much but it will help to adjust and to come to terms with what has happened and to be able to form those memories x
  • YumsYums ✭✭✭

morning :-)

(((Westie and family)))) I am so very sorry to hear your devastating news on the wee man. I wish I could do more than send my love to you all and keep you all in my heart.

(((DL and OH))) pesky kids. Their timing for hissy fits is impeccable. Its good to hear that bridges are being built. Teens - yuk - who'd have them :-)

Welcome back flibs. I take the view any running is good :-)

Daffy, you did mention the trail races. How far is each one?  I'm sure trail running will reinvigorate your running and so many things to distract you from the pain :-)  Any house move news yet ?

Dogs that don't f*rt ? Whatever next, Podds ?? Happy birthday to Elvis. 12 is a fantastic achievement :-)

I see yoga is proving popular in here. I always thought the best bit was the lying down afterwards :-)

ow are you doing, sluggy ?How was Christmas for you without SM ? 

So has anyone been running??

Not much excitement here. No 2 starts his new job tomorrow - he's working in security at the airport. I'm sure he'll love it - dealing with passengers and driving around the airport checking perimeter security - telling others what to do :-) No1 is still at Tossco, mother is behaving - she's looking at a retirement apartment tomorrow. I'm doing all the usual stuff. Nice young lady is celebrating her 40th birthday next weekend so we're off to stay in windmill on Friday :-)

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Yumms, Christmas was OKish - SM has never been to this flat so that saved a lot of the comparisons with last year. It is great to hear that the Minis are doing well, it sounds as if they are growing into nice young men :) I hope you and NYL have a great time in your windmill.
  • Morning all

Yums have a lovely time with NYL :)

My yoga attempts are failing miserably - you would think finding a spare 30 mins a few times a week wouldn't be a problem wouldn't you! I am really bad at it but would love to improve

running is going ok building up the miles a bit for the races ahead! I notice that I am doing some runs alone when I could manage a club run - Mrs antisocial sneaking in!

(((((Westie)))) still thinking of you all xxx

• DLDL ✭✭✭
    Morning

(((((Westie and family)))))

Hope no 2's first day securing the skies went well. And a night in a Windmill? - how very Trumpton.

I haven't actually managed to do any yoga yet Farty - so you're doing better than me (nothing new there!!).

I have done some more of that running stuff though. See my halo - watch it shine. I have even bought a new pair of running shoes in the sale - just waiting for them to be delivered - they seem to be bright pink - why do they do that?

XFC appears to be moving back in. Never a dull moment.

Happy chilly Tuesday - hope it brings something exciting
  • Evening All

Apologies for absence - it's tri club membership renewal month which is taking up a lot of my time plus the usual hound politics on top of work - my cup runneth over

All my good intentions for January and 2018 onwards are being scuppered by awful knees - hurt to do everything including using the loo......getting beyond a joke really

Hope miniYums 2 is settling to his job and glad to hear XFC seems to have begun to appreciate where her best interests lie

(((Westie and family)))

Mr P is off on  yet another bleisure trip on Thursday - away for a whole week.  On the plus side just me and my boys at home, on the down side having to get up with the dogs every morning and missing my Monday pre work spin class which I strangely enjoy 

Welcome back Flib

How's the choiring coming along Sluggy?

And DL - your halo is so blinding I can't even look in your direction............
  • morning all

Podds is there anything that can be done for your knees? any surgery on the cards?

oh DL never a dull moment with XFC. Pink trainers - well, I don't mind a luminous kind of pink but pretty pink not so much

yesterday was my Bigun's birthday - I am reconciled to being 52 but I find being the mother of a 26 year-old very shocking! we went out for tea - my boys can really eat!

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Podds, I am sorry that your knees are giving you so much pain :( Would injections be suitable?  Surely even surgery would be better than what you are suffering now (although I realise that you never really got the best result from previous surgery). Sending you lots of healing ~~~

DL, I think I am glad that XFC is back with you!

Choir is going well, thank you. BFF has come along for the past 2 weeks but I don't think she will continue. I really don't mind one way or another, I will keep going whatever she decides! We have a charity gig coming up in early March, it is always nice to have something to work towards  a bit like booking races to give running a purpose.

Jenni, I do know how you feel. SB will be 32 in March!! 

MS and I have a funeral to attend this afternoon. Thankfully, no-one close (a bowls colleague) but still not a cheery occasion. Unfortunately, the next generation of Slugstas are not getting married or having babies, so the funerals are not being offset by happy celebrations!

• Evening all :)

Can't believe some of you have kids that are nearly as old as me :D 

Glad XFC is moving back DL, hope things go slightly more smoothly (is that even a phrase??) Can't see your halo, must have dimmed a bit ;) 

Sorry about the poor knees Poddles, hope there's something they can do xx

Sorry about the funeral Sluggy :( They do seem to be coming thick and fast at the minute :( 

Two weeks til our first trail race... Just over 4 miles, and an ascent of 36 metres apparently which is my kind of trail race :D:D Legs hurt when I tried to speed up too much on the treadmill the other day (see, told you I wasn't meant to go fast...) so I've done a couple of days on the cross trainer instead. Going to go out at the weekend for a gentle run/walk of about 4 or 5 miles - won't be much faster than walking pace and there will be a LOT of walking so I'm sure it'll be fine. 

No house news (yawn). Apparently some enquiries have been sent and answered, which suggests the new person's searches might be back but not heard anything since last week. Solicitor says he'll chase again but I'm not holding my breath. 

It's 23 weeks today since our offer was accepted on our new place, and it was 4 weeks before that when we sold ours. Will still be here next Christmas at this rate!