Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I cant find any place called Womblisle?
  • I thought it was place name too DT but now you've mentioned it Skinny, a quick check shows Google Maps doesn't know it. I am afraid that revealing my ignorance now will result in another Fifi moment.

Hope the black eye subsides Lit. I've had one or two from playing football, but never from running.
  • It's what (all) Lancastrians (without exception) call Carlisle. I have covered up the black eye with a ridiculous amount of make-up. Turns out if you smear yellow concealer all over it, it's surprisingly effective.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    There must be some reason for this and also why it's such a well kept secret from the people of Carlisle and the Internet?
  • literatin said:
    It's what (all) Lancastrians (without exception) call Carlisle. I have covered up the black eye with a ridiculous amount of make-up. Turns out if you smear yellow concealer all over it, it's surprisingly effective.
    Haha - you mean only your partner don't you!

Yes but then people notice you have a really well concealed black eye and presume your partner beats you up (so no-one will mention it hence leading to you not getting the chance to explain how you really did it whilst they all presume you are a victim). It's a tricky one but I always tell Mrs Skinny after I've beaten her not to hide it and to make up a good story and just brazen it out.
  • When I say 'I fell over' people still think that, Skinny.
  • I've had a fun tapering week ahead of the Brass Monkey on Sunday. For some reason I have been absolutely ravenous and eating much more than normal. As I've been feeling tired recently so I've reduced my week much more than I would normally. I'm planning a 4m with strides tomorrow pre-park run marshalling and then I'm on the road after that. Hope everyone enjoys fine weekends with no falling over or being beaten by a spouse (except in the racing sense).
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Good luck with Brass Monkey, Muddy. Hopefully no repeat of shredded feet...

How's the troublesome hip, DT?

Managed a longer run on Monday night of ~13 miles which after 2 races at the weekend felt far enough. Followed that up with a couple more runs including 10@~MP last night. Apart from the first mile which felt really hard, it felt pretty controlled, pace came out at 7:03 which is about right.

Should hopefully get a longer run in tomorrow and a bit of a recovery run on Sunday to log a 50 mile week which is about where I want to be.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good luck sunday, Muddy. I've seen it's going to be a little windier than ideal.

You look to be in full swing, Tommy at the moment.

I'm still being troubled by the hip/itb/groin. Having not run since Saturday and spent a lot of time applying my vast array of devices to it this week as well as 2 physio sessions, I tentatively set out for a 3 miler run last night, mainly so I had a better idea where I was for todays physio. Within 500m it was very sore and stiff and I'd go as far as to say the worst it's been which is very frustrating.

Saw physio again this morning and he cannot find anything of any substantive problem and thinks it's muscular, which from a healing perspective is a decent view. Did some treatment and told me to lay off it another week.

Realistically I can afford not to run until early February before I have to reconsider London plans, as i've trained consistently right through to last week and maintained my long run upto 17 miles through December. I lost the best part of 4 weeks having an operation last January and recovering into February so I know I can pick it back up.

• Good luck muddy. Nice training Tommy. Swift recovery DT.

Meant to do 9 as a long run today but it was hard going. I've ramped up the consecutive days of running this week and wanting to see how it went, but I guess I've hit my limit. Felt it in my lung towards end. Easy 4.4 tomoz will bring it to 28.5 for the week - marginally my highest mileage since Oct '16 when it all went to shit. But I'm drawing the line at 30.
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Hi Charlie! Good to have you back on the thread.
    In the absence of other news, I'll tell you that, due to an unscheduled diversion, I ran 20.5 km in and around Victoria Park yesterday. It was faster than planned too, at 5:29/km, but felt good.  Total for the week was highest for ages at 82km because I also did a lsr last Monday.
  • I think Muddy might be  bit disappointed with his result from yesterday particularly as he got beaten by James Corden - who would have thought he had a sub 1:20 HM in him!
    Image result for james corden running
  • Yeah I am very disappointed Skinny, I will have to kick 2018's arse a bit later in the year  :(  I was itching to run on Thursday, then on Friday felt rotten and got about 2 hours sleep, rallied a bit Saturday but quickly realised in the race I wasn't able to go full beans. I tried for the first mile but that was barely under 6 min/mile and the following miles worsened so I ended up dropping to marathon effort and plodded my way around. If I'd have known I was chasing James Corden I may have risked health and injury to shout 'Pamlar' at him.

I've had a few duff races recently - the 10k NYE, the xc and now this one, I felt off for all of them. Not sure if it's a product of (bad) training or some health issue - just been feeling limited and tired for a while and thought the taper would sort that out. Back to the drawing board !
  • Hello everyone! I'm just popping in to report that my black eye is looking a lot better and I managed to run 17 miles yesterday without falling over once, which I think you'll agree is a triumph. I also did the Great Edinburgh Winter Run 5k on Saturday in an amusing 20:01, which was approx 2 seconds slower than I was expecting but will teach me to start my sprint finish a bit earlier. I've no speed at the moment as I was having a great time, could probably have carried on a bit further at that pace, but couldn't manage to run any faster. In my defense it is a massive great uphill then a lovely long downhill, but not the fastest course in the world. In which context it is all the more impressive that my lovely lancastrian partner ran it in 25:01 for her 5k racing debut. She was amazing. Then we watched the inter-districts cross country but it was very cold and we were hungry and when our favourite U13 had to pull out as she wasn't feeling well, we abandoned waiting for (a) a cup of tea in the massive queue and (b) the elite races, and went for lunch and to John Lewis instead.

Muddy - I know I always say this, but it can definitely be worth getting haemoglobin and (especially) ferritin levels checked when generally feeling tired and underperforming over a long period of time. Being able to do long endurance stuff (e.g. several miles at marathon 'effort') but not being able to push to a higher level is pretty much what it's like when you're iron-deficient. I couldn't get my heart rate within 35-40 beats of my max no matter how hard I thought I was trying when my ferritin was too low.
  • She has a nice milestone target for next time too!

Muddy - do you do any speed sessions (interval, tempo) in training? If so how do they go?

Perhaps in my new role as spectator I could arrive just before the race and deliver packages surreptitiously that may or may not contain iron supplements?
  • Meant to say well done to Charlie and Pete on their very different long runs too. Sure it'll come back Charlie, and I hereby nominate Pete as my one to watch for 2018.

Lit, I had this issue with the autumn halfs too but then seemed to hit a decent couple of runs in November with a 17.09 5k and 35.35 10k. Early December's half of 1.17.56 was very hard work but I seemed to recover - wonder if that has been the straw that broke the camels back though. I did have a very strong  headache on Friday afternoon and on Saturday/Sunday. Mini-muddy was ill and I was off work with him last Monday. I'm tending to think I caught something from him. I can see above I wrote about being very hungry, which is something that happens repeatedly to me shortly before I feel any symptoms of a virus. This afternoon I have had a very upset stomach, which tallies with mini-muddy's problems last week. It doesn't explain previous off feelings though so I will pursue that line of enquiry with respect to iron and also vitamin D levels.

Skinny, I do threshold and 10k efforts every now and then - probably not every week but every fortnight. The 10k efforts tend to be parkruns. They've been about where I expected generally, taking into account conditions , and recovery has been fairly normal. I did last weekends cross country at threshold effort and felt well enough to run 9m at recovery pace the day after. The staple weekly tempo run is around marathon effort between 6 and 8 miles usually. I'll try to paste the last couple of months training here later (at work). Since the struggle in the latter part of the Lancaster half, I've tried to extend my runs and get a bit more endurance work in, so I was wondering if I'd tired myself out with those.

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Well done to lit's lovely Lancastrian partner!  Will she be joining the TTT to give me some company at the right hand end?

Sorry about your troubles, muddy.  Hope you can get a diagnosis and a remedy quickly.  Your mostly marathon effort still resulted in a time that would be a pb for everyone on the thread bar Mr V so very well toughed out, sir!  However, I am gutted that you have cursed my 2018 by handing me your "one to watch" accolade :disappointed: Thanks a bunch!
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Sorry Pete, it is a bit of a poisoned chalice, but you are running really consistently at the moment. Well done also to Lit on the 20:01 (A Space Odyssey) 5k :) You can also be a one to watch !

Attached my training for the last couple of months. I hope you'll find its quite moderate in keeping with the title of this thread. For reference anything around 160 is threshold/half mara effort. 150-153 mara effort. Paces are 'whatever' due to course and conditions. 

• Nice one Lit. As a super-20 5ker these days I can appreciate that. How much has your partner been running? That time is a very nice first parkrun.

Great effort muddy. But it makes me think of the 2016 Cardiff Half that did me in and from which I am only just recovering. I wasn't right, realised it after 5 miles but toughed it out. When I got back home I was shaking so bad I couldn't hold a cup of tea. So take it easy. If I perchance should see you at a parkrun any time soon, I expect to still have you in my sights at the finish line. Meaning you are running very slowly.

Jeez Pete you are doing huge miles these days!

So yeah, I ended up topping 30 miles last week! The fancy took me yesterday and I did a nice 6.5 mile route instead of the planned 4.4. A stretch towards the end is off road, and as soon as I set foot on it I felt good. I must try to run off road more because it seems to send energy up my legs. Did a run before work this AM and a bird shat on my garmin. Knackered now. It's my last day in my current job tomorrow so no running, just playing pool and drinking.

• Jeez Pete you are doing huge miles these days!
    You should remember that Pete actually runs small miles known as kilometres. :)
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Afternoon.

Muddy, sounds like a tough day (although a great time despite not being full effort!), hope you're feeling better now. Definitely worth getting the iron/ferritin levels checked out by the sounds of things.

Lit - nicely done both of you. A couple of my colleagues from our Edinburgh office did that race and didn't really enjoy it!

Pete - some good consistent kilometerage recently, must be time for a race or a free weekly timed run/jog/walk event for people of all abilities?

Charlie - good to see you back. Unlucky (or is it lucky?) with the bird crap.

I managed a couple of runs over the weekend but not quite as far as I anticipated so I ended up on 45 miles for last week. Managed 11.5 miles with the club last night, including a big hill which is a decent start to the week.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good distancer Pete. Even dropping that back to miles it's just over 50.

Well done, Lit and your partner on the 5k.

Muddy, shame about the hm. On a plus point, you didn't get up at 5am to enter it!

Charlie, I recall after the Worcs half in 2016 you were talking about health issues and dropping everything back. I thought it was just your sadness at having been beaten by me. Glad you are back posting though!!

Tommy, continued decent consistent running. What mara is it you are doing?

Crikey, its been a while since I posted referring to that many people!! Its like you all agreed to disappear whilst everything was going well for me and now I'm finally injured its go go go!

On that front I have been hammering the bike work and i've actually quite enjoyed a decent volume of threshold work without feeling knackered. Following the physio and some intensive treatment of my own with the kit at my disposal, come sunday I could not feel any issue in my leg when generally doing day to day things. Previously if I had loaded my left leg such as leading with it up the stairs or putting weight on it to put my right sock on, as I unloaded the weight I would get discomfort.

Yesterday I went out and did a mile at 9mm. There was some tightness in hip by the end but no reaction afterwards. Today 2 miles at 8.40mm went better than last nights 1. I will continue with slow short runs and hope to build it up without issue.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Good to hear the hip is on the mend, DT.

I'm doing Antwerp marathon, which is the same day as London. I'm doing a fair bit of training with a couple of mates who are doing London which is helpful. If everything goes to plan my Eurostar should get me in to St P early on Sunday evening allowing me to hopefully meet up with them for a celebrtaory drink.

• Jeez Pete you are doing huge miles these days!
    You should remember that Pete actually runs small miles known as kilometres. :)
    DT19 said:

Good distancer Pete. Even dropping that back to miles it's just over 50.

Just in case anyone thought I was belittling Pete's mileage I was simply making a mildly humorous play on the sloppy use of miles rather than mileage in Charlie's post.

Muddy - at a point in my life when I can't actually run I'm certainly not going to start analysing out your training spreadsheet - I just wondered if you were able to hit the speeds in training and if it was just a race thing.

DT - glad to hear your injury is on the mend.
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    It's ok Skinny - it's open to everyone. In fact my Strava feed is public too. Always interested to hear what people think.

I don't really evaluate pace during a session or race, and focus on the perceived effort. Sometimes I struggle with faster elements and drop to marathon pace, and that generally correlates with tiredness for one reason or another. I did plan to do more speed work this year (as in 5k pace and above) as I enjoy it, and hope it will help. Also I enjoy a good long tempo run too.  I consider that maybe my low mileage has stretched as far as it can go too, in terms of the aerobic base I built up earlier in the autumn may now need to be replenished. Inconsistency over the last 6 weeks has yielded inconsistent output. I think I need a few weeks up at 50+ mpw to help too. I think that covers pretty much all elements there ! More miles, additional fortnightly speed. Keep tempos in, to summarise.

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Some of the worst weather I've ever run in today.  A stiff breeze and I twice had to take refuge in a bus shelter to avoid a heavy hail shower.  Between those I managed a session at HMP. I had purposely avoided school's out time but not factored in recycling collection so was brought to an abrupt halt by a barricade of wheelie bins on the pavement and a stream of traffic. Once stopped, couldn't face ramping it up again so just 3.5km at 4:43 average pace.  Roll on spring!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Any firm race plans, Pete? You should get your rewards for sure.

I continue to progress. 20 minutes today on a woodway treadmill. Anyone ran on one?  A very different experience and great for getting up on the toes. Much less harsh on the body imo than a standard treadmill. Also 8mm have the same effort as easily run 7mm pace on standard treadmill. 

Threshold bike session tomorrow then I'm going to try for a longer outdoor run Friday. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Any firm race plans, Pete? You should get your rewards for sure.

I continue to progress. 20 minutes today on a woodway treadmill. Anyone ran on one?  A very different experience and great for getting up on the toes. Much less harsh on the body imo than a standard treadmill. Also 8mm have the same effort as easily run 7mm pace on standard treadmill. 

Threshold bike session tomorrow then I'm going to try for a longer outdoor run Friday. 
  • Well done Pete, Tuesday night is bins out round here too.

DT - Not tried one but they are really expensive. I am off to the National Running Show on Saturday - maybe there will be one to try out there.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    They have some at my gym, but yes to buy they are horrendously expensive. I find that off as there's far less to them than an all singing treadmill. 

I have a ticket for that as well but unlikely I'll bother going.