New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Redhead - So sorry to hear this you must be in bits, don't worry about answering this post, to lose an animal that has been part of your life for so will take time.

On your other post you have given me ideas's to keep my mind occupied whist on a long run, although i have found recently it takes a lot of concentration just to keep safe  even with a lovely light strapped across my body their are still so many hazards along the way,  Christmas season bin collections on Saturdays to catch up, i have been dodging the bins which are strewn across the pavements once emptied! hopefully things should be back to normal this Saturday, i am just keeping an eye on the weather, and any risk of ice, although we get the better weather here down south.  

Re the training - yes it is a long wait - hope i enjoy it as much as i anticipate.

Exhausted - probably just tired because i have upped the training a bit, and i am still eating the deliciously lovely things left over from Christmas, like shortbread - biscuits- chocs - however i am limiting them now as i can really tell they are having an adverse effect on my body, it just goes to show how  food plays a part in your well being.

DBI - good luck with your swimming and a 15k run through the forest is not to be sneezed at.  Well done for getting things organised for you both and hope Johns recovery continues.

WtnMel - The Saturday run is the hardest to get up for usually around 3.30 ish then go out around 4.50am, i have tried going out later but people and traffic just get in the way, and by going out this early i can run on the road for a good part of it.  I am so looking forward to the light mornings though, to see the sunrise and hear the birds and see things that the rest of the world miss, it makes me so grateful to be able to do it.  Good luck for your 10ks i hope you get the first one sorted one way or another.

I used to teach Body massage i loved it i am lucky enough now and again to get a freebie at the place where i taught this, i am always a willing volunteer when it comes to students needing an assessment.

HS - Your run does not sound much fun at all,   good luck with the spin sessions, i tried this many years ago, i loved it, we had a great trainer who really ramped it up and we would all go home exhausted, the only problem was that it was a late class, and i was still full of adrenaline by bedtime, so eventually gave it up.

Aquarius- good news for the assessments hope the results are equally as good for you both.

the sun is shining thank goodness, and i have lots to do today, i have received my DNA results from Ancestry in the week (xmas present) and  on day one i managed to get in touch with a clear match of a first cousin in Pennsylvania! and apparently i have many more spread across the world, so i will be catching up on my family tree, so very interesting but very time consuming. however as i am just waiting around in limbo i may as well be pro active.

Have a good day everyone.   

• Red, so very sorry about Esther. I know it will be scant consolation but at least you know you did the right thing rather than let her suffer. Also both Esther and Kizzy have had long (and no doubt very happy) lives with you, lots of lovely memories for you to look back over. However it doesn’t change the fact they will both leave a hole in your life, keep busy and positive. x

Glo2 - getting up at 3.30 on Saturdays? You are made of stronger stuff than me, the earliest I ever managed was 4.30, but that was when I was working and training for the GNR before work. Nowadays I get up at a more civilised time. A few years ago I spent quite a bit of time researching my family tree, but it became so time consuming (and addictive) I felt it was taking over my life so I stopped, although I would like to go back to it one day (when that elusive day actually comes when I’ve nothing to do) as it is fascinating to discover your ancestors and try to piece together their lives.

HS - how did your forest run go, no mud or fallen branches I hope?

WtnMel - haha, I knew you’d be doing that skinny dip again this year. Living in the north east (and up until a year ago on the NE coast) I know how cold that sea can be, make sure you have your thermals and a hot drink ready for when you come out! 

No running for me again today, heavy snow overnight has added to yesterday’s slowly melting snow. Can’t get the car off the drive so my exercise today consisted of a bracing plod to the local shop for a newspaper. Although I might do some strength exercises in a bit rather than do nothing. I had intended a session on my exercise bike (which I haven’t used for months) but when I plugged it in there was a strong smell of burning, some strange fizzing noises and the light flickered on and off on the consul, so all in all it looks like it’s had it, possibly damaged in our recent house move. I’ll just have to be patient and hope for better weather in a day or two.

Has anyone heard anything of JB on any of the other forums? He was such a regular contributor on here it seems strange he’s dropped out without a word. Hope everything is ok.
  • Red, very sorry to hear that Esther had to be put to sleep. A very sad time for you.

Glo2, Mondays run was no fun at all, but somehow, we survived. 
    If it hadn't been for my injury at the end of June, I would never have taken up spinning. It was my physio that recommended it, as I didn't have my own bike. Its really been invaluable for me, and has enabled me to gradually get back into running again.
    I've seen the adverts on TV for DNA on Ancestry. A few years ago, I attended a series of classes at the local library for tracing ancestors. I went back a long way on my fathers side, and discovered I was descended from a long line of farmers. I did start looking at census returns etc. but found it was too time consuming, and I'm afraid I haven't continued my research. I would like to research my mothers ancestry sometime, but I don't know when.

Aquarius, I note that you also started researching your family tree, and gave up. I think we are all in agreement that it is too time consuming.
    My forest run went very well this morning thank you. I ran 8 miles over less hostile terrain, the mud only just covering my trail shoes, as opposed to half way up my calves on Monday.
    Sorry to hear that your exercise bike has given up the ghost. Will you get a replacement?
    Regarding JB, I remember him posting that he was going to give running a rest for a while, as he was getting niggling injuries. He hasn't posted on the Over 60's thread, or fetch. I'm hoping that he is ok, and will soon get his mojo back.
  • No running again today for me, and probably for the next few days if the weather forecast is to be believed. Although we could possibly get the car out of the drive the estate roads are still thick with snow which has frozen overnight, so yet again it meant a cautious walk to the newspaper shop this morning involving a half mile downhill section of icy pavements - not recommended.  :/ 
  • More snow overnight, a number of local parkruns have been cancelled, no running again for me today. Weather not looking good all weekend, so will just have to be patient.
  • We have had snow today too, so dog training was cancelled.
    Redhead, I posted a poem for you on Facebook. Big hug,
  • Yes I did go for a run. 

Red. So sorry about Esther. I expect that it wasn't an easy decision. I expect it will make your daily routine so different now, but with a big hole in the middle somewhere. 

Family trees. I you want help kick-starting things off, I can assist. PM me if you want. 

• I have had a slight xmas and I am hoping to smash or attempt the seniors 1500/3000/5000 I just needs some tips for this 43 yr old
    I have been doing 2 x 5k weekly but now I will be doing a 5 k every two days .
  • Hopefully I can be as good at running as I am at eating chillis.
  • Morning all,

It's pouring with rain, so glad I'm having a rest day today.

Aquarius, luckily, we have had no snow in the New Forest region, but the pavements have been icy.

Exhausted, good that you managed to get out for a run.

Damien, I wish you luck with your record breaking attempts, but afraid that I can't really offer any useful training advice, as I'm more of an endurance runner, and not very speedy these days. I do suggest though that you include a longish slow pace run once a week, as you don't appear to be doing this.

I ran 6 miles in the forest yesterday, so am gradually building up my weekly mileage. I've joined the Trail Running 1,000 mile challenge, which is an incentive for me to continue with my running comeback. I'm not concerned about pace for the time being, but hope it will improve once I'm fully fit again.
  • Redhead, sorry to hear about your horse.
    Damien, good luck on your attempt.
     And hello to everyone else . Chopping wood on Friday, since then my back has been killing me , tried a run this morn, turned around and went back to the car after a mile.

• Red, that's really hard to say goodbye to animals. I grew up with horses (parents bred and trained racehorses); some are very special, only saw my dad cry twice, once over a horse he had to put down (very special stallion, a real character), once over a dog.

My journey of getting used to the Hokas continues. Only had 3 runs so far - no pain in injured (v old injury) ankle post run, which is excellent. Less excellent is that they make same foot numb after 20min. Slackened laces right off part way through today's run, and that solved the problem, but I scarcely have enough lace to tie a knot! They also rub and give me blisters in a couple of places, but that might be partly down to the conditions - wet slush soaked my feet.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Many thanks for your kind words and to IW for the lovely poem xxx There is indeed a big hole in my daily routine now and it feels very strange atm.

Ran a marathon at Ranscombe nature reserve on Saturday in horrendous conditions - heavy rain and very slippery mud on top of flints is not a good mix. Lots of people fell over and most of the time I felt like Bambi on the ice! Was supposed to be doing an ultra but was sensible and finished at marathon distance as I fell over on the penultimate lap and just walked the last one very, very carefully. Decided to give the next day a miss and my goodness I'm glad I did as they had snow as well as torrential rain. Instead I ran 25 hilly miles along our lanes and only got soaked for the last 1.5 hours.

mrcharly, I love my Hokas as they made a huge difference to the arthritis in my feet. My Hoka trail shoes used to give me blisters until they'd been well broken-in. They are well worth the effort but they do get tears in the upper webbing rather quickly which a lot of people have complained about.

TE, your comeback continues apace!

Moks, careful with your back. Rest and stretch gently please.

Damien, threshhold runs, tempo runs and intervals are good if I remember correctly (haven't worried about my slowness for many years now!). There used to be lots of speedy-peeps threads on here so I'm sure you'll find the advice you need somewhere. Good luck.
  • Afternoon all,

It's wet and windy, but a touch milder.

Moks, take care of your back, and have a few rest days from running until it feels better.

mrcharley, I don't know much about Hokas, but am I right in thinking that they are well cushioned. I remembered "am I right in thinking?" from that long ago TV Programme "Whats' My Line!" I remember Gilbert Harding and Isobel Barnet being regular panellists.

Red, well done for your marathon on Saturday in atrocious conditions. Amazing that you then ran 25 hilly miles the following day. 

On Sunday, Sarah went to Windsor for the Windsor Half Marathon, and on arrival at the venue, was advised that the race had been cancelled, due to snow. She wan't very happy :'( 
    My running continues to improve, and yesterday I ran 10 miles in the forest with Sarah and Jane. I was able to keep up with them this time, compared with last Monday where I lagged way behind. 
    This morning I did a very good spin session, followed by a gym work out.
  • Hillstrider, Hokas do have a huge amount of very soft cushioning. They also have a very curved sole, so heel strikers like me are guided to a rolling stride. I think the tendency to cause blisters comes from the semi-rigid supports that extend up from the sole by a half-inch, cradling your foot. These do seem to work in giving support so it is definitely no pain no gain.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Will this rain ever end? Didn't venture out for a plod yesterday and am procrastinating this morning too.........

TE, well done on your 10 miler. Poor Sarah, it's so annoying when that happens (TWells 1/2 for me about 5 years ago).

mrcharly, my HOKAs are also good for me as a mid-foot striker but it's the cushioning that is the main selling point for me. 
  • Morning all,

Horrible weather, heavy rain and very strong winds.

mrcharley, thanks for the explanation about Hokas.

Red, thanks, I'm beginning to increase my weekly mileage now.

A good spin and gym session yesterday and this morning. I was glad that today wasn't a running day.
    Looking forward to PM's Question Time at 12.00.
  • Been struggling with a sore throat for a couple of weeks, doesn't seem to begetting any better so I will give in and go to the doc tomorrow morning.
  • More rain today, when will it let up? Charlie is a beautiful dog but being a long coated white shepherd he does get wet and muddy every time we go out in this weather. Luckily a quick rub down with a towel gets him looking like his usual self. Nemo has shorter hair and is completely black so never looks as bad.
  • glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Morning all - thank goodness the sun is shining for a change, although we do not get south bad weather in the South, we have had no snow since  early Dec i think it was, we are very fortunate here.  

I wonder how do you do it Redhead - I have upped my training now in prep for coventry Half and  I am feeling the tiredness in my legs to be honest but I know it will give me strength eventually.  How long have you been running for may I ask?  

Apart from running i am still working on my Family tree, and have now found another link in my family tree, two within the space of one week thanks to my DNA test, it has inspired me to keep going with it! well for the time being at least.  I am  still working on a folder of my Half Marathons, it is looking good, I am doing a short synopsis, adding the photos, bib and medal plus results sheet.  My first one was in Autumn 2013, I just have a few more to add to bring it up to date, it is good to look back and see improvement plus steadily increasing my goals each year.  I figure this will be nice for my family to look back on one day.

So glad to see improvements coming along regarding injuries, it takes  much longer for the body to heal as we age.

Well have a good day everyone, and keep up the good work everyone, little acorns.....
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

When the rain decided to stop at 9am this morning, the sun came out instead and it's been a lovely day. Went out for 10 miles of hills, a couple of which were real lungbusters so am now enjoying my pot of tea together with a Tunnocks wafer bar  :D

IW, hope you're feeling a bit better today.

Glo2, I started running in 2003 at the age of 45 when my friend died from cancer and I wanted to raise money in her memory. The tiredness in your legs will ease off as long as you build up your miles gradually. When I first started running I used to save my race numbers and write my finish time and details of the race on them. I stopped doing that when I started marathons but I do still keep an active blog which is a lovely record of everything. Good luck with your family tree.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all (I started writing this around 4pm but got sidetracked!)

Red - sorry to hear about you having to have Esther put to sleep :( Ooh Tunnocks wafer bars - not had one of them since my walking holiday in Brecon last year (I brought a few 'supplies' back home with me). I've kept the race numbers from my PB races but that's about it.

HS - the pre-loaded Mastercard was a case of 'use it or lose it' as I had been sitting on it for all of 2017 and it is due to expire at the end of Feb. What a shame for your friend Sarah to travel that distance only to find the race had been cancelled.

Glo2 - glad it's not just us that are still wading through the xmas food (albeit limiting ourselves and doing so slowly). I am amazed at you getting up at 3:30am for a run - when I was working being on 'earlies' and getting up at 5:30 was a shock to my system and I never got used to it. I have moved house since my massage training so although I'd have volunteered to be a 'body' for student assessments at the college where I trained, it's no longer convenient to do so. A friend of mine is very into her family tree research and has created a 'tree' of 6000 names - I've tried to start a couple of times but it's so time-consuming I've never made much progress.

Aquarius - we'll definitely have our thermals, several more layers of clothing, blankets and hot drinks ready for after the dip. So I can't tempt you to join us then? ;) If every dipper from last year managed to persuade one friend to join in, we could probably manage to claim the world skinny-dip record back from those pesky New Zealanders. No pressure - but the pride of Britain is at stake you know ;) Btw, shame about your exercise bike getting damaged in the house move.

Mok - sorry to hear your back has been bad since chopping that wood.

MrCharly - when I first saw Hokas with their curved soles) I thought they looked a bit weird. I see Red likes them - that's great if that is the case but I've never been tempted myself and will stick to my tried & tested Saucony Guide (onto my 4th pair and about to buy my 5th).

HS (again) - Armstrong & Miller did a great mickey-take of the "What's My Line" panel show with a sketch called "How Many Hats" .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksBrraaVAxQ 

Glo2 - Fetch is great for logging your runs and makes it easy to compare race results from year to year. I have a 10k in April so am hoping I can get a good batch of training in between now and then and give it a good shot. I doubt I'll get anywhere near my PB of 59:55 (from 2013) but anything around 65mins or less will suit me.

I've just joined my local U3A group (University of the Third Age). I've contacted a DSLR photography group and a 'Computing Skills' group (hoping I can put my IT Support skills to good use). And there's a boules group starting in March that I'm planning to go along to.

I went out and did 5mls with my club mates this morning. I'm not fast by any means but often I'll 'hang back' and run with some of the slower people. I decided today I'd let someone else do back-marking duties and no surprise then to see Strava telling me that was my fastest run on that route.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Just having a break before heading out for a plod incorporating Bootcamp, which I missed last week. Everywhere looks really pretty with the mist settling in the valleys below us.

WtnMel, no way will I ever do a skinny dip as I'm not "skinny"!  Mind you, if a very rich and generous person pledged loads of money to my fund-raising then I would.
  • hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Morning all,

A well needed rest day today. I did an 8 mile forest run with Karen yesterday morning, eight minutes quicker than I ran it alone the week before. I was very pleased, as there was more mud and water, which necessitated much wading. My legs really felt it as they took a hammering. 

DBIW, hope your sore throat is getting better.

glo2, I have never kept my race numbers, but have recorded all my race results on fetch. I transferred them from a log book, where I had meticulously listed them. I like to compare the WAVA's over the years, to see whether age related, I am slowing down.

Red, well done for your hilly 10 miles. As you know, I am a lover of hill running, and even with my knee injury, have pushed the pace ascending. Good luck with the boot camp session.

WtnMel, thanks for the "how many hats" video. 
    I imagine that you were pleased that Strava indicated a fastest run over that particular route. I like the trending feature, but it will be a while before mine starts rising again.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Red .. I'm not skinny either. In fact, if you saw any photos of the NESD you'd see quite a few people (me included) are probably more 'chunky dunkers' than skinny-dippers ;)

HS - don't blame you having a rest day considering how tough that forest run would have been with the mud. Glad you enjoyed the "How many hats" video. At the weekend when I was searching for my photo backups on dvds, I was pleased to come across some old Armstrong & Miller and Mitchell & Webb programmes I had recorded off the tv. Must watch them again sometime ..

I'm planning to get out for a run tomorrow (timing will depend on whatever else Mrs Wm and I will decide to do with ourselves).
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

22 miles of unrelenting hills run and chocolate reward duly consumed :)

TE, well done on your muddy run.

Wtnmel I loved the 'How many hats'? clip and laughing at you being a "chumky dunker"!
  • Morning all,

Absolutely typical, it's a lovely sunny day, but a rest day. 

Red, you well and truly deserved your chocolate reward  :) 

I ran 7.1 miles in the forest yesterday morning in atrocious conditions. It was a cold, wet and windy plod. I didn't enjoy it at all. I was slowed by dogs running and jumping up at me, which is a common occurrence. I seem to attract them. One lady was walking four dogs, all off leads, and one of them just wouldn't leave me alone. The lady was very apologetic and afraid the dog would bite me. She even gave me a dog biscuit to give to the dog, in an effort to calm it down. This happened about a mile from home, and I couldn't get back into my stride again  :s
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Afternoon peeps,

Oh poor you TE, it's really tiresome when people don't control their dogs. We both seem tpo have more than our fair share of problems with them and I love doggies, just not when their owners don't control them properly. You deserve a rest day today xxx

For some reason I chose to do one of my hillest routes today for my 20 miler. In my defence I haven't run it for a while and my brain must have forgotten just how tough some of the climbs were. At one point I thought that the one I was scaling at the time was rather like one of the Seven Sisters at Beachy Head only on tarmac! Never mind, as it was an out and back route I got to speed down the blighters on my way back. Biscuits have been consumed  :)
  • What a wild night we had last night! (I’m talking about the weather, not my social life). I’ve never known it so windy since we moved over here. Our garden table took off and was lifted over the garden fence into our neighbour’s garden. Fortunately it ended up against their fence in the opposite corner without doing any damage to their property, although it was broken beyond repair. I managed to get an 8 mile run in this morning while the wind had died down a little, but the return leg was uphill into the wind which wasn’t pleasant. I haven’t managed many runs recently due to being busy with other things (plus the week-long snow of course), but I did manage a hilly 3.5 on Friday and a flatter 5 miles last Tuesday.  I’m taking part in our local XC championships at the weekend, so hoping the wind will have died down for then. 

WtnMel - what a tempting invitation, which sadly I’ll have to turn down due to being a wimp. However I wish you as well as the other skinny dippers and chunky dunkers all the best in your undertaking.

HS - great running, your fitness levels must have been really boosted by all that spinning. My sympathy on the dog issue, I often encounter dog walkers when I’m running on the Derwent Walk, which being a waggonway is quite narrow, so I keep a careful eye on their dog(s) as we pass one another. I’ve had dogs jump up at me and even been tripped up by a dog and just saved myself from falling, so I’m very wary now when I see one.

Redhead - I love the way you mention, almost in passing, that you’ve polished off another 20 miler (and a hilly one at that). You deserve your biscuits! 

Hi to everyone else, hope you are all keeping well and Moks back is improving, likewise DBI’s cold. Happy running everyone.

• You won't be surprised to hear this from me, but don't get me going on dogs.

The other day, after being attacked and jumped up at, I ran full pelt up to the owner, arms in the air, threatening eyes, screaming like a banshee. They looked completely shocked and bewildered as I pulled up in front of them. "Now you know how I feel when you let your dog loose on me with its fangs and lolling tongue with you simpering on complacently." I said. They didn't say anything but just stared at me as if I was mad.

Ran a bit. Not as much as anyone else, in fact, not near as enough, but, I ran.